Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Michele, I will definitely report in about the Tamox.  The doctor said most people's side effects kick in around weeks 2-4, typically at 3 weeks.  But I know some people feel something right away, like queasiness or fatigue.  I don't look forward to either of those but they're not the ones I'm most worried about, which would be weight gain and bone, muscle, & joint aches, among a few others. 

Lemon, how are you doing after a month on Tamox?  So sorry to hear about your sweet pooch.  At least he's not in pain at the moment.  Are you thinking you'll get him the heart meds and try to get him stable so he can go on?  Our first dog, Milo, was a Shih-tzu with a lot of health problems from a young age.  He was on 7 different prescriptions for his last several years.  We kept doing what he needed as long as he still seemed happy and out of pain--we spent a fortune on that dog (about $1800 a year!), but he was our first baby. When it was time to let him go at age almost 13, the good thing was that it was very clear.  Better a clear decision than a hazy one.

Janis, your story about your mother's last days is heartbreaking, but also has so much love in it.  You all got a chance to say goodbye, and she was with her loved ones, not kept alive past when she wanted to be, not in pain.  It could be so much worse.  But it all developed so fast.  That must have been really hard.  And losing a mother--I can't even go there.  Mine is 75 and I just dread the day.  I know so many of you have already suffered this loss.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

My MIL did not want extreme measures, but failed to say.  After a severe stroke I remember the medical personnel telling us how traumatic resuscitasion could be to an elderly person's body.  It tore the family apart, with the resuscitate half of the family "winning" and a feeding tube was placed.  The only communication we ever had from her after that day is when she repeatedly tried to tear the feeding tube out.  It took over a year for her to be released, and I know she was angry at all of us.  When we were emptying out her house after her passing a slip of paper fell out of one of her books, with a verse and a note to let her go if such a thing ever happened. It just made me cry. It taught DH and I to let our children know our wishes.

Personally, I think that this is partially the fault of medical personnel who do not have the courage to tell us the bald truth about our loved one's prognosis. And dare I say, in the company of my fellow animal lovers, that vets are often the same.  They expect us to make these decisions without medical knowledge, or an understanding of the consequences.

I have to believe, having made mistakes in the care of others--my MIL, my own mother and my kids, certainly my animals too--that it is only possible to make the best decision possible in the moment with the information that we have, and our hope, and love. We cannot allow any mistakes we make with a caring heart to weigh heavy on us.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2013

Janis- Thank you so much. I just carried him outside, hes about 30 lbs and normally hates to be picked up. He is too heavy for me but DH and kids are out. Hes so helpless. I am so sorry to hear of your sons loss, I am not sure we ever get over this type of loss. Sometimes I wonder why God gave them the short life span they have, maybe he didnt plan on them being our family members and best friends. I had a cocker Harley, I lost him suddenly and to this day, 10 years later my heart aches for him. I just gave Toby a hug and kiss from you, little tail wagging. Cool ((HUG)) to you..

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Lemon, thank you for letting me into his life.  I so hope he feels a bit more perky and begins to improve.  I adore animals.  Mine are all rescues and we have a few.  I have purebred Golden Retrievers, Murphy and Sampson.  Both were rescued.  Murphy came from a horrible backyard breeder and needed a good home fast.  We took him at about 3-4 months.  I swear he is grateful.  Sampson was rescued though Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies, out of Golden, Co.  We were living in Cheyenne Wy, I had lost my cherished Golden Spencer to cancer 8 months prior to getting Sammy. He is my joy boy.  This dog is happy 24/7.  We know that he was a neglected dog who lived outdoors in SW Colorado.  He and Murphy are best buddies.  They are both about 8-9.  I worry when they start getting older.  We also have three rescue kitties.  Bella, sweet Bella, was a large kitten living in a very small cage.  Pistol and Poppy were from the Cheyenne Animal Shelter.  We moved our entire fur family from Wyoming to Idaho three years ago.  They are not disposable.  They are our kids!

I will continue to keep your sweet Toby in my thoughts and prayers.  You too of course.

Sew, worried and concerned for you.  How sad.  I am so very sorry.

Kate I am really glad you are feeling better.  I am so relieved your swelling is better.

Everyone else, sorry if I haven't mentioned you all.  I am still thinking of everyone!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Lemon I'm sorry your Toby is doing so bad.What kind of pain meds are they giving him?

My princess was the yellow lab we had prior to this current doggie.She had severe arthritis.We had her on tramadol and Gabapentin .It worked well for her.It's so hard to see our puppy dogs and kitties hurting.They never leave our side even when their hurting.How bad are his teeth.Terriers tend to have bad periodontal disease which can turn into cardiac issues down the road.

Maybe that sore arm means you have been doing to much.LE??

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Janis I'm sorry to hear about your grand dog.I must of missed that post.At least he didn't suffer.

Believe me that breaks your heart to see those cases.Can you tell I miss working with the animals?

My son has been sleeping during the day and up all night lately.He woke me up last night as he was galloping around the living room.I had hard time getting back to sleep after that.And you how when your trying to get back to sleep your thoughts tend to wander.I started thinking about the last job I had as a Vet Tech.I closed that chapter of my career and I don't know why I always have to open those old wounds.>

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Hi Lemon,

Sending prayers your way. I hope Toby doesn't suffer.

I am not sure when I can come to Chicago, because I can't come till after chemo, and I am not sure how long I have it. When I do come it would be great to meet you.

My leg did well today. I actually walked 8 blocks. The most I have been able to walk before this is 2 blocks.

xoxo,

Kate

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2013

Janis- I am sure your Golden's are so beautiful, they are such freindly dogs. I am sure they are just as grateful for you as you are to them. Wonderful that you have taken in these animals who are now family and shown them a great life. There is so much neglect out there, so sad.

Josie- it is Tramadol every 8-12 hours and Carprofen every 12. His teeth look pretty good, he hasnt had any issues. He has always been pretty healthy. I knew lately he was having some problems missing steps and once in a while I would hear his yelp, I always thought he accidentally nipped himself, I am sure he must have bumped something to hard. He is so sweet and sooo cute laying there watching me sit here. Thank you so much for your care. I wish you were working at the ER we go to, Mrs. No personality at all!! Vet is nice but the front desk.. not so much. As we left last night a woman brought in a 6 week old rott that had gotten bit by a larger rott. He was bleeding, the woman was crying, she was cold took and puppy in the back and just told the woman to go and sit. I went over to her, she was so upset that was her baby bleeding.. Guess it takes all kinds whether for pets or people.

Thanks for you kindness Kate. Your on the mend!!! Glad to hear it!!

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Lemon sorry the lady at the vet was so uncaring.Those Emergency clinics are so expensive to just walk into the door that they should at least offer appetizers or something.God knows you pay for it.My vet has a little fridge and offers complimentary beverages in their waiting room.But they aren't the cheapest to go.But I trust the vets.I worked with them for years at their old clinic.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Checking in and sending out my thoughts to everyone tonight...
    Sew, happy to see you stopped by here.  We are thinking of you. 
    I am heading off to sleep because my little grandaughter will probably be up before 7:00.
    Good night, all.

Joan

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2013

Quick question: did anyone get radiation pneumonitis? I got the good news that my latest Pet scan showed NED but it did show I have radiation pneumonitis. I have had a horrible cough for like a month. My last radiation treatment was 4/5/13. They're saying I might need steroids as antibiotics aren't really effective for this type of pneumonia.

Deyla

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all,

Wow, this thread is so busy.  Y'all are going through so much (((hugs)))

Lemon - Hey there a face :)  Your poor Toby...so hard when our babies are not doing so well.  I miss having a dog, but after putting down my Irish Setter and then years later my Springer Spaniel...my kitty Theo...just cant do it.  I miss having a dog, but we travel and bounce so not right at this time.  Sorry your SNB hurts...mine is very tender still...so I still free boob the girl when I can.  Best Wishes on your decision on HT its hard...you will know:)

Janis - so soory on the lost of your GB:( oh my heart aches.  They are so precious and then to watch your son&dil greive is difficult.  Glad you have your goldens for the extra love they bring...wag wag:)

Sew - My heart aches for the trials you and your family are going through.  The decision on care and letting go are so difficult.  When my mom had her massive stroke I flew to CO to be with her...my sister and I had her directive, but the hopsital was challenging...everyones in the room and the administrators makes some very rude coold comment bout my mom and her left hand goes up waving we hand her the paper and she signes her name on the dotted line with the most picture perfect signature you have ever seen...everyone gaspped, but my sister and I smiled.  Mom knew she did not want to be tube feed and all the rest.  We brought her home and surrounded her with love...called all her BFF so they could speak to her had a few life celebrations and she slipped on 4 days later at peace:)  It was a beautiful send-off!

Josie - Rain must be coming your way it is pouring here in the Hill Country  Hurry and take the dog and your son for a walk whiles its sort of dry.  Or get ready to splash big time in all the puddles.  Are you ready for steak?  Hope the teeth are chewing up just fine:)

GiGil - Sounds like you have a full house and lots of fun for the weekend planned.  Keep it simple and have a great time...share some pics!  And gives all the yummy details:)

RunFree - Have you started preparing for your 1/2 marathon?  Where are you going to run?  Glad you switched MOs and have one you can trust.  Best Wishes on the tami!  Like an old lady, I went and got myself a pill case and loaded up all my supplements and that tiny white pill.  Each day when I take my pill I let it know that all the other pills are bigger so act normal:)  Week 1 done...on to week 2:)

Michele - Yippee!  Rads will be checked off your to do list soon:)  Ask your MO for a month off to recover before taking your Tami...may help you catch your breath and fill in charge again.  I sure did enjoy my month off from all tx:)

Joan - Hope you got some sleep!  Now, may we all have happy face pancakes at the kitchen table with your GD:)  How fun a sleep over at grammies!

SAB - Kuddos to you girl!  Anniversary slid right by...way to go...you were too busy celebrating Bdays and hitting the ocean in your kayak!  Yippee:)

Brookside - Yes, my BCteam suggested that I could stagger my appointments so that I was always seeing someone, but I thought I don't want to see you guys for a bit...so I took them all up on the come back in 6 months and call if theres a problem...no problems:)

Susannah - Yeah, hubby is good to go!  What a relief.  Making summertime plans?

April - Sorry that your short rad schedule has left you with such fatigue...but maybe you are running to fast after the poor kitty!  You have a full plate with work, kitty, and dad...and hubby too:)  Take good care of yourself.

Kate - You are just amazzing!  Yippee 8 blocks on the getting skinny leg ooo whoo!  Glad you were able to get out and have fun with your friend.  Sunshine and dounut shop here she comes.  Just be sure you rest some too!  Eat some prunes with warm tea and then walk...that should move you ha ha:)  Do a twirl in your magic princess warrior coat...shake out all the cake ball crumbs...we're all getting ready for the next party :)

Sciencegal - My answer to less and less hair is bring your own...yes girlie pressure has caused me to succumb to bring my onw hair ha ha!  A collegue once told me he did not understand all the hoopla about hair...his woman always brought hers.  Well i got me some...hope it does not fall off ...yikes!

Last night on my evening walk my DIL called.  She was so shaken.  She had planned an outing...GS, S, and her M to a local dairy with petting zoo.  Some man brings in a pit bull and it mauls a 3 yr old girl standing within feet of her.  Luckily here sister called 911, her mom scooped up K and ran to the car, and my brave DIL went to render aid.  They took mom with her 9 mo old boy to hopsital, feed her, and sat with her during the procedure, until all was ok.  The moms hubby is deployed.  So sad...she was all alone. GS K said Im safe now.  Im at home.  I prayed.  Not scared of bad dog.  Im safe.  I'm so thankful that they are safe, but my hearts aches for the 3 yr old and her mom...what an ordeal.

Sorry to end on a bummer, but not really.  My DIL and her family were there when that mom needed them most...and Im proud that they took her to hospital and sat with her...held her hand feed her baby...yeah proud and grateful mom here:)

(((hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Wow Cindy That was quite quite a story.That's a shame someone would bring a dog around other people if it can't be trusted.That dog owner should be ashamed.

What a wonderful thing your DIL did for that lad uhh and her child.You must be so proud.I'm glad no one else was injured.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Deyla - We thought I had it because I got a terrible cough within the first month of rads being done. They did a chest x-ray and I ended up on antibiotics for 10 days. Seemed to knock it out but it is common. They told me to look out for it. I already had compromised lungs so was not shocked I got something. A quick pack of steroids for 6 days can really help.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Cindy, Sorry your dil had to experience such trauma, but glad she was there to help

You write the sweetest posts, and you crack me up, My princess warrior coat is performing miracles, because my leg feels better each day. When I walk I am amazed that I am not in pain, and that I can walk a little farther each day.

xoxo,

kate

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Cindy, what a brave and good dip you have.I'm happy that they are safe.

Kate, glad to hear you're feeling stronger!

Delta, I have no info for you but sending healing thoughts your way.

Josie, you are right...when you see a vicious dog the first place to look is to the owner. We owned a very grumpy dog once, accepted his limitations, took him to a trainer and did not take him to public places.

Time to get my house in order a bit before it gets too hot.

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Dip! Autocorrect strikes again! Of course I meant Dil!

• SAB
    edited June 2013

And Deyla!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

OMG, Cindy.  What a horror!  I can't imagine what that must have been like.  Your DIL is a superhero.  Thank God she was there to take care of that family.  Have you heard anything about how that poor child is doing? 

Kate, your news is so wonderful you must actually be looking forward to chemo tomorrow just so you can see the amazing shrinking leg doing its thing.  Princess warrior coat rules!

Sew, I am thinking of your family and wish you all peace and comfort.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Brookside, I won't mind chemo tomorrow. It is only 30 minutes and it is pure heaven to see my leg shrinking. A whole bunch of worry has been lifted from my shoulders too.

xoxo,

Katew

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2013

Kate, I am beyond thrilled that the swelling is going down.

Xo

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Cindy How did you know the rain was coming my way?

I heard that also on the weather last night.So after church I came home got gas in the can and started my lawn work.I mowed and bagged the front yard and worked like mad to beat the rain clouds when I reached the back yard.Well I got 75% of the back yard done before the rain came.

I was so tired I literally drug myself back inside before the storm came.

Now I'm just sitting instead of doing my housework.Sigh...

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Sab, and Suzannah thanks so much. I feel blessed that this leg swelling is going down

Josie take a well deserved rest.

xoxo,

kate

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Hey Kate - we're all jumping in your pockets for Mondays pocket party! Yippee it will be short and sweet but you will be rockin it!

Cake balls and maybe a few donuts...and of course wine...cheers! Here's to the amazing shrinking leg...yeah chemo! Ooo whoo:)))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Oh Josie! How did I know....The rain pounding sideways on the windows waking me up! Thunder and lightening...moving fast and headed north east your way ha!

Glad you got your outside jobs done :) inside too! Ooo whoo good girl! We now have lawn service :):( no more riding the John Deer to buzz the lawn.

For me just hitting the gym...hubby napping...pounding the bones...tomorrow is dental ha!

Hope your area dries up...our area in TX needs the rain:)

Good Monday!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Thank you so much Cindy. Cake balls and wine sound great, and hopefully a longer walk than 8 blocks. I have only been able to do one block, but yesterday I was up to 8. OMG such a big weight lifted off of my leg and shoulders.

Thank you so much for your support. I love your posts

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Cindy Yeah we didn't really need the rain but oh well we got it anyway.We have a lawn service too it's called my 10yr old Claire.Our sad little push mower isn't even self propelled .She works for cheap too.I think we pay her like $6 per yard.Unfortunately she was still at her friends house and I wanted to mow it before it rained.

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Josie - you are brave! A push mower oh my! I'm a SoCal city girl. Never seen more than a bee in the clover. Here in TX there's all sorts of creepy crawlies that girlie girls don't like. I demanded a rid mower if we/ me were doing our yard. Not walking with snakes, scorps, centipedes, turantulas, and other yuck plus humidity! So rider, but since we have been bouncing CA TX lawn service.

SoCal you can go barefoot and nothing is going to get you...not in big old tx:)

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Scorpions Tarantulas snakes...Oh My I can see why so insist on a rider.Your the brave one.I live in the city/suburbs and we don't have those kind of creatures unless you visit my daughter's boyfriends house.They have a few snakes,rats iguanas piranhas and the newest creature my DD added was 4Ferrets .And her boyfriends mom informed me tonight if they break up The animals come home to me.My hubby wouldn't allow that!!