Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Janis I'm so happy your procedure is over with and They gave you the good stuff!!

We will be there with you for the cardiologist too.

BUNKIE were getting the heat too.It makes me crabby and we have lots of yard work to do.We're going to try to get an early start.

I had a little heart spell myself tonight.I guess you would call it tachycardia (rapid heart rate)

I had a pretty big dinner and really full tummy and when I reached behind the tv plug it in and I stood back up my Heart was pounding so fast and hard that it was kind of scared.But then I got a hold of myself . And beared down like my internist showed me me which makes your heart get back to a normal rhythm.

I have a condition called AV node reentry.It's where your electronic signals go on the fast path accidentally.It's very scared and luckily doesn't happen to often.The only fix is a ablation where the burn off the fast path so it doesn't take the wrong path.I'm not interested in that sounds pretty risky.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Ok....I went for my 3+ week follow up on this low WBC, RBC, neutrophils etc today. They're still low (not a surprise as I think stress has something to do with it and the last 2 weeks have been hellish). However, I convinced my MO that there's absolutely nothing wrong with me, this is just the new normal and that I feel fine. He agreed and I'm back to my 6 month schedule......yippie. I've been trying to get to this point since rads were finished 1 1/2 years ago.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Eek, Josie, that does sound scary. Glad you've got a method to get it back in control...

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Sab, Sure Santa Monica is nice, but on the whole I don't care for the people. I would like your Youngstown Ohio where the people are fantastic.

Josie,I am sorry about your heart spell. I am glad things are under control

I had my hair flat ironed today, so I feel good. OMG I am spending a fortune on my hair this week. Tuesday Joanna is coming to my house to do a blow dry, and Friday I am going to the salon for a flat iron. I can blow dry my hair ok, but I just can't get it straight like she does. I figure it is worth it for birthday week. I want to enjoy from today till July 1 as much as I can. July 1 I have the miserable 6 hour chemo, and I will have a bad 4th of July, because of it. I am counting the days till Oct 6 till I am done with chemo for the time being.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I am going with Tracy to see Gatsby this weekend, because we got stuck with The Bling Ring last weekend. She had her steroid injection, and is taking two weeks away from yoga. I wish she would stay away for a month to give herself time to heal.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Janis, so glad that you are feeling better and that they found the right spots.  The medications seem to have done the trick for you.  As for the stress test, they may just do a chemical stress test, where they give you something to make your heart work as if you were exercising, and then watch it as that happens.  You might not have to do the treadmill at all.  They were going to do that on my father this past couple of months, but decided at his age, it wasn't a good idea.  He isn't willing to do anything invasive anyway at this point.  He has had two major heart surgeries in the past, and at 85 he is done messing with that.  Your situation is much better than his is.  You are relatively young and they will be able to test you and see if anything is going on.  Bet your tests will come back fine.  I just have a feeling - don't know why.  

SAB we have been hiking two days in a row.  I am going to do another one this weekend while DH is working.  We have hiked down by the Mississippi River near where we live.  It is a great trail.  I have to find a place that is a little safer this weekend, since he won't be with me.  

Josie, I get those rapid heartbeats sometimes too.  Freaks me out.  Luckily, it mostly happens when I am dehydrated, so I don't let that happen.  Not fun.  Mine may have a different cause than yours, but symptoms are the same.  The cure for me is meditation, bearing down, cold water in the face, neck massage.  If all else fails I have to walk and pace to burn off adrenaline.

Bunkie we are in a storm right now.  We are also getting lots of heat for several days.  Either cool or hot, nothing in between!!

SEW I am convinced we know our bodies pretty well, if we listen to them and watch their signals.  I also think we have a tremendous capacity to self heal.  

We just grilled steaks.  I only ate a little, and I even convinced my husband not to eat his entire steak.  We had taco salad too.  Kind of a decadent evening.  I will have to be extra good the rest of the weekend.  I am feeling so good with the added exercise.  My goal this weekend is to move it!  move it!  move it!

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Gigil,It is scary and happening more frequently to me then I like.The worst spell was in 2011(April ) 1day after my vaginal Hysterectomy.I had just walked the hallway and went back to bed only to have my tachycardia.HR went up to 200 They called a code on me I almost passed out and They had to give me a shot to get it to go back to normal.Needless to say I ended up in a step down unit for the night with Heart monitors on all night and a echocardiogram before they would release me.Yeah don't want to do that again.At least I handled it instead of letting myself panic.I just wish I knew why It happens or what brings it on.Sounds like you learned some pretty good techniques too.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, that almost sounds like Wolf, parkinsons, white syndrome.  We have friends whose son had that going on - sudden very rapid heartbeat.  He did have an ablation and the problem was taken care of.  I assume you have seen a cardiologist and had it definitively diagnosed, right?  I think mine is brought on by an excess of stress hormones or dehydration.  Whatever the cause, it is NOT fun, I know, and it is scary!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Hi, just lost my post...I always wonder where it went Tongue Out

Janis - it is goo to hear from you...I hope you continue to feel well and that the next procedure won't be too bad.  I did not know your son lived in AK.  it is spectacular.

SAB, I agree with you - the darkness would be unbearable for me.  I did not mean to put down Ohio...my brother lives there and he has the best life...it just doesn't offer what I would like in a place to live. 
    Your DD must be very excited about the trip.  Will you be keeping in touch while she's away?  What will she be doing there?

Sew, yes, you have been through a lot in a short time.  I am glad you are feeling OK even with the low numbers...I'm sure you & Dr. will follow up periodically.  Meanwhile, I hope you can take time to rest body and soul. 

I like that idea - make friends with winter.  I have done that and love the sunny cold days and snow...I just don't like when there's no power or I'm housebound too long.
    Nite all,

J

• joan811
    edited June 2013

Hi, just lost my post...I always wonder where it went Tongue Out

Janis - it is goo to hear from you...I hope you continue to feel well and that the next procedure won't be too bad.  I did not know your son lived in AK.  it is spectacular.

SAB, I agree with you - the darkness would be unbearable for me.  I did not mean to put down Ohio...my brother lives there and he has the best life...it just doesn't offer what I would like in a place to live. 
    Your DD must be very excited about the trip.  Will you be keeping in touch while she's away?  What will she be doing there?

Sew, yes, you have been through a lot in a short time.  I am glad you are feeling OK even with the low numbers...I'm sure you & Dr. will follow up periodically.  Meanwhile, I hope you can take time to rest body and soul. 

I like that idea - make friends with winter.  I have done that and love the sunny cold days and snow...I just don't like when there's no power or I'm housebound too long.
    Nite all,

J

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Josie and Gigil it sounds like your heart experiences have been pretty scary.  I have not had your experiences but the chest pains are enough to scare me.  Josie I am sorry you had such a bad spell last night.  I hope you are feeling better and if it gets worse, get to the doctor please!

Sew, I wish they knew why your counts were so low but I am thrilled you are feeling well.  You have been through so much in the past few weeks, of course stress is a factor.  As long as you feel well being on the 6 month schedule works.  Just be careful please!

Kate, I am glad you are having fun heading into your birthday and making so many plans.  I remember the movie was sold out last week.  I hope you and Tracy have a great time.  Don't worry about splurging if it makes you feel so good.  What are your plans for Tuesday?  I will be wishing both you and my son a happy day.  I know you dread the upcoming chemo, but you have been so brave.  We will all be there for you Kate.  I hope Tracy will have a full recovery.  You two have fun this weekend!

Joan my son and DIL love Alaska but the winters were not good for Adam.  He suffers from depression and those long winters were bad.  They loved the area though.  They went hiking frequently in Denali Park and they have the most amazing photos.  It is stunning there, but with the long winters surely not for everyone.  Plus he really hated working for BP.  Their other favorite place on earth is Yellowstone, but back country only.  They are going again in August.  They kayak down the Yellowstone River far from civilization.  They kayak all day then just pick a spot on shore to camp.  It always worries me when they do this.  Deep back country, no cells, no contact.  Last time they went I asked him of they worry about grizzlies.  He said no, the wolves are a bigger concern.  That cheered me right up!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.  Sab and Joan and Gigil and all you hikers....I admire you so much. Have fun and be safe!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Happy Birthday Cindy,

I hope you have a fantastic day and a wonderful year. I also hope you have fun plans all week for your birthday

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis I am going to PF Changs with Kelly Tuesday for my birthday, and Friday Tracy is treating me to Happy hour and dinner in Malibu. I am off of chemo this Monday, so I will be able to enjoy my birthday.

xoxo.

Kate

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Cindy, you know how much I love to bake.  i have been so busy working on your cake.  Enjoy it, and have a wonderful birthday filled with love!

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Kate, I am working on your cake too.  It will have lemon filling just for you.  I am so happy you have so many fun things planned.  You have sure earned all the happy days ahead.  I know you will enjoy it all.  You have some fantastic friends taking you out, how sweet is that?

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Josie - I also get those palpitations. For about two years I would get them and get so scared I went to the ER. They would hook me up to all sorts of testing and kept me overnight several times but found nothing really. Right after mom died they said it was stress and then right before my BC surgeries I had a bad one. They found nothing so now I just try to sit or lay still and take a deep breath. I have tried to avoid the ER unless it is really bad. I seem to get it when I am tired or dehydrated also. Since BC I get dehydrated very fast.

Kate - I hope you enjoy the movie. Leonardo DeCaprio is a much under recognized talent. I don't think he has ever won an Oscar.That is a lot of hair fixings going on but it makes you happy so it is worth it. Hope you have a good week end.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis, thank you so much for making me a birthday cake on Tuesday

Bunkie thanks for wishing me well

I hope you both have a great weekend

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    edited June 2013

BUNKIE have you tried bearing down when you get one?

It helps if you can calm down enough to do it.That's the hard part though.I of course panic and that makes it worse.They tried metroprol and that made me feel sick every time I tried to increase my HE even going up steps would make me nauseous and faint.They took me off that real quick.

Kate happy birthday early.Hope you have a good one!!

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, my palpitations are just like yours.  Been to ER no real explanation for them except stress, dehydration and of course menopause.  Fun stuff.  Josie, if I remember correctly, you said that your situation could be fixed with an ablation.  My husband has problems that might require an ablation someday.  I know two people who have had ablations and are cured.  It is amazing what they can do now.

Kate, working toward your birthday and hopefully you are doing well physically.  No chemo for a bit, so you can just relax and enjoy the birthday.  Cindy, hope you have plans for enjoying your birthday as well.  You both deserve some special times.

Janis, so glad you are feeling better and past the day that you were dreading  It sounds like it went much better than expected.  The nerve blocks that they will be doing should help immensely.  It is amazing how they can isolate those nerves and take care of them.  They have come a long way.

Joan, good to hear from you.  How are things going?  My sister lives in Boston and we have some friends who live in New Jersey.  Those fall storms have been horrid along the east coast these past few years.  We visited New Jersey in October and our friend was telling me the year before, the late fall storms were so bad, their power was knocked out for a week.  They all had to stay with friends who still had power.  Then this year it was even worse!!  She runs a nursery school, and they all had to function for a long time with absolutely no power.  We are having stormy weather in Minnesota these past few days  There have been trees down, and power out.  It does cool down at night however, so it isn't such a hardship.  It is never great to be without power, but when the temps are cold, like in late fall, it makes it so much worse.  Where ever you live there are problems.  For us it is blizzards and tornadoes.  We do not have tornadoes as bad as places like Oklahoma, however.  Ours run just a few months of the year, and many people have basements.

I hope everyone else is having a wonderful weekend.  What are you all up to?

Well, I am off to find a hike!!  I am alone today, so the hiking is not as much fun.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

I occasionally get those runs of cloppety clop heartbeats (ergo the stress test a couple of years ago).  Definitely stress and cafeine rellated.  No solutions from the medical guys, except maybe a beta blocker, which seems to be overkill because I can "fix" it by coughing.  I guess this is similar to bearing down, which I never heard could be a solution before this thread.  Nice to know there are two perfectly natural solutions!

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Brookside, you are so right.  The Beta blockers are overkill.  I also drink ice water.  That seems to help.  If all else fails a half a xanax and meditation always slow it down in about 20 minutes or so.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

You know, for a perfectly healthy person, I sure do seem to have a lot of symptoms--seem to echo everyone else's health issues.  Maybe they're all signs of normal aging? 

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Josie and Gigil thank you for the birthday wishes.

I am feeling good. No chemo till July 1 YEAH! I am getting ready to party like there is no tomorrow. Wish my kids could come here or I could go there, but it doesn't work out this year. I will be ok with phone calls from them, and my darling grandchildren. As for the celebrations, tomorrow Gatsby and Cheesecake factory-YUM. I can't decide if I will have banana cheesecake or key lime pie cheesecake for desert. I am the oddball who doesn't like chocolate. My birthday night will be PF Changs, lettuce wraps and szechuan shrimp-YUM! A shopping spree on Thursday. Then Friday night happy hour at The Malibu Inn and dinner at The Mission Mexican resturant in Malibu, shrimp fajitas, guacamole and chips, and margaritas-YUM. OMG it looks like I will gain 10 pounds for my birthday, but it will be so much fun!

Cindy, Happy Birthday again! Let us know what you are doing for your birthday tonight. I hope you have a blast!

Love,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

typo dessert of course and not desert

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!  You seem like such a light-hearted soul, so I bet you are having a wonderful day!  I hope it is all you wished for and more!

Kate, sign me up for the key lime pie cheesecake!  I love the idea of going out just for dessert.  I tend to avoid desserts at restaurants because I've always eaten so much for dinner, and I always think, Sometime I'll come back here and have dessert only!  Then I don't do it.  You have a lot of beautiful birthday plans there!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Run free, I will get two pieces of key lime cheesecake. One for you and one for me. I never have dessert at a restaurant, but when I go to Cheesecake factory I do. You can't go there without having cheesecake for dessert.

I agree that Cindy is a fun loving person, and I bet she is having a blast. Cindy I think you are more like a fun loving Aquarius rather than a moody Cancer like I am

xoxo,

Kate

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Kate you may end up buying a whole cheesecake.  I love key lime so count me in.  I do love chocolate but not in cheesecake.  The key lime sounds wonderful.  I made a key lime pie from scratch last summer and it was so good.  I have never had the cheesecake though.  Three pieces so far Kate!  My mouth is watering already.  :)

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

ok Janis three pieces of key lime cheesecake. I may go broke if I bought a whole one there. It could be more than $$50. I think they charge $7 or $8 for one slice, but heck I will do it

• encyclias
    encyclias Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2013

GiGiL and Bunkie,

I am not saying that my medical situation is the same as yours, but on two different occasions I had 24/7 cardiac arrythmias for weeks, my poor heart just bouncing around in my chest, awake all night.  After a bunch of research, my GP honed in on my blood pressure medicines: Losartan was the first one I took, and then later Lisinopril.  Since I didn't seriously need BP meds, he took me off of them and the palps stopped within a couple days each time and never returned.

Whatever is causing your palps, I hope you get it straightened out.  It drove me crazy both times.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Kate,

I love the pineapple upside down cheesecake. Can you get me that one? Love the Cheesecake Factory!

Encyclias I am so glad your doctor was able to get to the bottom of your situation. That sounds miserable!

Cindy Happy Birthday dear girl! You have the same birthday as my SIL. He turns 40 today! Are you having a fun day?

• joan811
    edited June 2013

Happy Saturday...pretty quiet around here. 
    Kate, I love Cheesecake Factory dessert...but always take it to go.  Usually I get the Red Velvet which is huge and it lasts a few days.  Sometimes, I just eat it for hours. Tongue Out

Cindy, wishing you a very Happy Birthday and a good year ahead.

Gigi, My DD lost power in the NJ 2011 October storm (snow?) and again in Sandy.  After a week of no power, she went ahead with plans for her daughter's BD party (4 yr) and all the moms were sooo grateful to get out of the house...The location had power so all were happy.  Except me - I had just gotten power in NY and drove to NJ where she had none...but we made memories. Her DH works for the power company so is never around home for the outages.  They are definitely  moving to Quincy area...I don't know when.

I recently had palpitations which I felt were associated with dehydration. 

Happy week end...and happy first full day of summer (and gorgeous full moon)