Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Gosh, Kate, I feel your angst.  Your hair is gorgeous and you take such good care of it.  On the other hand, with your new princess warrior tiara, who's to notice a little thinning?  I'm so absolutely thrilled that the chemo is working and your onc trusts it to keep on walloping those nasty uglies.  I saw on one of the other threads that there is lots of support for thinning hair, and, even better, vitamins and shampoos that help thicken hair--a little exploring might result in some really great ideas.  And maybe starting to plan your next Chicago trip will give you a boost?

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Brookside, great ideas about Kate's hair and I love the tiara! 

Kate, I was so delighted to hear what your MO wrote to you.  That's a timetable that can help you relax and just look at the next few months as some bad days in the middle of good times, and an end in sight.  It's terrific that your leg started slimming down only a week into the month of June, when he said he was expecting it would be by the end of the month.  And it has continued to slim down.  Sounds like this is the right chemo mix to smack down those rude interlopers.

Josie, I love the pictures!  The one of you holding the sign made me choke up.  I'm going to have to do something like that, a big cancer walk or run.  There's a cancer group around here that does a fundraising fair and luminaria walk every year.  (They raise money for gas cards for people who couldn't otherwise afford to get to treatment, stuff like that.  I didn't need that kind of help but they did offer.)  I always make luminaria bags for my stepfather (who died of prostate cancer officially, but with a zillion complications all his own) and my friend (who is doing great after triple negative BC with unknown primary).  I never dreamed I'd be making one for myself.  This year it's scheduled for two days before I turn 50.  That will be emotional.  But I think a much bigger one, maybe in Boston, would be really great too.  There's nothing like the solidarity of thousands of people.  Your pictures have inspired me.  I'm so glad you posted them and I'm glad I was able to see them!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

RunFree I meant to tell you how happy I am your party was such a success.  I know it was out of your comfort zone, and the fact it came out so well shows you can do it!  Way to go Sweetie.  I am so proud of you.

Gigil you are my idol with those avocadoes as a theme.  I will definitely be there cheering you on and enjoying all those beautiful avocado dishes.  Guacamole and Margaritas work for me.

I know you all urged me to go to the ER.  I really appreciate you.  I guess hearing it from her was the final push I need to go.  I will when it happens again.  I hope the heart tests come out okay.  I know it can be many other things.  We can rule out gall bladder, I had mine out over 20 years ago.

Kate I was upset reading your post about you would rather die than see the grey stubble.  The stubble is temporary of course, it will grow back.  I know you can't even visualize that but please keep fighting your cancer.  I felt much better reading you later posts.  Stay and fight, good girl!  You have a beautiful new tiara so wear it proudly.  Big hugs Kate, you are never alone!  My son's birthday is the 25th too.  I was so

hoping I could get there to Colorado to visit but not now.  It sounds like you have so many fun tnhings planned.  Enjoy all the celebration with your friends.

Take care everyone!  Love and hugs of course.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Gigil thank you so much for my tiara. I am so glad your father had such a good time on father's day

Cindy only 4 more days till your birthday Wahoo!

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Kate you are very welcome.  I can just picture you in it!!  Lovely my dear!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Kate I feel like I really upset you with my wig comment. I'm sorry dear Kate!

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

I just got a call from my ortho doctor's office.  I have to go Thursday for a second set of nerve blocking injections.  Oh I dread this SO much.  The last set was brutally painful.  UGH, but they have to do it a second time before they can decide if an ablation of the nerves is in order.  So we will be having a big joint multi pocket party on Thursday.  Of course I will bring the cake balls.  Lemon and chocolate coconut so far. 

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Oh No Sab you didn't upset me at all I know you meant well

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis, sorry you have to go through this I will bring wine for the pocket party for you and Gigil

xoxo,

Kate

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Thanks Kate!  Of course you know I am making fresh lemon  balls ropund the clock for you.  I am glad to see you are feeling a little bit better.  The party will be fun Thursday and the wine will be perfect.

• Alicethecat
    Alicethecat Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013

Hello ladies

Hang on in there!

In case this helps anyone, I had 12 rounds of radiation which finished on November 1 2012. Felt very tired from January to April 2013.

But from May 1 2013, I felt so much better. Back to normal! In fact, you could say, after all the treatment, a new and improved version!

Wishing you all well

Alice

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Kate - I am so glad I waited to post till you got better news!!!. Let me say I understand about the hair thing. My long beautiful curls were the reason I got bullied in grade school all the way to high school. I have always counted on it so much. When I got diagnosed with Sarcoid they started me on high dose steroids and I had a lung biopsy with general anesthesia. I did OK but when I got in the shower for the first time and washed my hair 1/3 of it fell out. I was devastated. Nobody told me about that side affect and I was not prepared. I had to cut it short, run out and get a wig fast. I started the long year process of growing back my hair with treatments. So I can relate. Lets take it one step at a time. I think it will be gone and you will not need any more chemo. Lets get this party started. I can not wait to go eat Asian food for your birthday. 

RunFree - Thanks for the good wishes on this stage of my life. I feel like I am right at the crossroads and it can go either way. I do not want to make a wrong move because it could affect my life for years to come. On one had I feel so blessed to have a home paid for in this awful financial time we are going through. However the condition of the home and the fact that I see my parents in every room is difficult at best. I have never liked Lansing and that is why I moved years ago. So I have to figure out where I want to go that would be good for my health and hopefully offer me some friendship or family close by. It is so good that you have a good group of neighbors. I wat that too. Just have to weather this storm and hopefully smooth sailing ahead.

I have to go back and read some other posts. Having some brain freeze so I have to read a few and reply.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, i understand just where you are coming from re: going.  My kids hate that I live alone in the middle of nowhere and are hammering at me to pack up and move.  Like you, I live in a family home (our summer place).  You cannot imagine how much stuff I have (mine and my parents') and what a job it would be just to sort out what I cannot part with.  And, of course, my energy level is not what it was six months ago.  Not only do I not have the energy to do this now, but the really big issue is where, oh where do I go?  Moving has two parts:  "FROM" and "TO."  And, I guess there's a third: "HOW."  I've got the "FROM" figured out.  Just the "HOW" and the "TO" to go.  Give me five years.  I picture myself in a gypsy caravan, wandering.  The kids, of course, see no problem, "Just buy someplace near us," they all say.  Then they talk of moving.  Arghhh!

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Alice thanks for your encouraging post.  It is wonderful for the ladies finishing up rads to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

I feel good too, I honestly think cancer is gone and now just waiting to go off Armiidex.  Three years and four months left!  I feel pretty good overall.  I just want to get these other issues cleared up. 

Ladies we'll plan a big pocket party for Thursday.  Anyone in for some hot wings?  Oh, I also make cheesecake stuffed strawberries.  We'll just have to have some of those too.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Gigil - I hate avocados. Ok just kidding...but my stomach seems to think they are high fat and revolts. I so miss guacamole. I make a really good one too. Glad you dad had a good time. Sounds like you managed to deal with the bossy sister.

Josie - Love the photos!! I am going to have to get it together and walk longer that the basement and grocery store. Everyone looks like they are having a good time. Nice looking family.

Janis - Sorry about the shot. Those things hurt but if it can help you then it may be worth it. My mom got those. Did not like them at all.  Chocolate coconut cake balls.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Ladies I have a bit of a quandry.  I got a call from my doctor this morning, I wasn't there, so she left a message.  She told me that she doesn't understand why they didn't schedule me at the clinic closer to where I live, and told me to call the scheduler if I would prefer that.  It seems the breast cancer center that I went to has expanded to an area closer to me.  It sounded great to me, because I do not like the memories I have at the other place.  However when I called, the first appointment was July 2.  I went ahead and made it.  The closer clinic is in a better area for parking and driving.  I have been on edge for a few days about the Thursday appointment.  Now it is put off until July 2, and I have mixed feelings.  In one way I just wanted to get it over with, and in another way I did not want to drive downtown, have to valet park my car, be in a waiting room with dozens of very worried women, and just feel the tension of the breast center where I had my biopsy and surgery.  I feel pulled one way and then the other tonight and mostly a bit frazzled.  I think I am avoiding in some ways, putting off the actual appointment and yet putting it off gives me control over the whole situation.  I know at the first breast center it was the policy to give the mammo results instantly.  I am not sure about the newer clinic.  I am feeling so unsure about what is best.  I guess any way I look at it has its pros and cons.  I am interested in your thoughts.  Thanks,  GiGi

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Gigil, go visit the new center tomorrow, and check out the "vibe". But I think July 2nd isn't that far off, and it's not like you asked for the delay. I expect they will give you the results immediately since it seems once we've had cancer they know we worry. But ask the new clinic.....then go for it....new life cancer free, new mammo center.

• RunFree16
    edited June 2013

GiGi, there's no wrong answer here.  But I think if you have been good at keeping your nerves at bay ahead of the appointment, then the best bet is probably to wait and go to a new, fresh-start, easy-access center closer to you.  I would certainly call and ask if the new center will give results immediately.  Since it's an affiliate of your original one, I'd be surprised if their policy differed. Alternatively, go to the Thursday appointment at your original center and make future appointments at the new one.  Whatever you decide, I hope you can just make the decision and not let yourself second-guess it.  I would stink at that but I hope you can do it.

Janis, I'm so sorry to hear you need to do that nasty shot again.  Won't it will be a whole lot better with Valium?  As my sister said about my taking ativan when I had my biopsy, you'll feel the same physical feelings, but you won't care.  And if you decide not to take the Valium, maybe that's because you can do this anyway.  I hope it will go better than last time.  It just might.  Also, what are cheesecake stuffed strawberries???  I love the sound of them!  And cake balls anytime, any kind.

Brookside, that's a tough location problem.  I often fantasize about where I'd live if I could pick anywhere.  My town is sweet and I'm very grateful to live in the general area of the country that I wanted to, but I wouldn't have chosen this location. It's too small and isolated.  We came here for my job, and it's essentially impossible for me to get as good a job elsewhere, so this is a fantasy for later.  In your case, like Bunkie, you have the baggage of the family house and things, plus the isolation, and that's a lot to deal with.  I hope the right five-year plan becomes clear.  Bunkie, I hope the right move for you becomes clear too, but much sooner.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Janis.....I'll be with you Thursday. Maybe you should tell the dr. About all the bruising too so he could take it easier on you. Have they given you the magic pill so you can take it as soon as you leave the house? Oh....and, cheesecake stuffed strawberries sound just perfect to me.......

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Thank you Sew.  That helps me somehow to feel better.  I am so often unsure of what to do in regard to the memory of the  darned bc.  I know I hate dealing with it, and it feels like swallowing a bitter pill at times.  

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

RunFree I'm glad you and everyone could enjoy the pics.It was a beautiful walk and was very emotional.I did the survivor pavilion and got a free chair massage and a beautiful scarf.Then they had the survivor procession where all of us survivors joined together.While we stood waiting to walk with the other survivors I met 2other survivors and 1 was named JoAnn just like me we shared our stories and walked together the few steps we had to.

THen they played some songs and there wasn't a dry eye in the place.I cried for everyone standing around me my fellow BCsisters and myself.They took a picture of all the survivors but I inducted out before that because It was too heartbreaking for me.I went to rally the group's at this point to get everyone together for the walk.As I got back to my team they played the song carry on by Fun.That broke my heart a little.We were walking along at first and as we passed the cathedral the church bells were ringing and everyone was so where and somber as we walked by and there wasn't a dry eye in the crowd At least it got to my husband and I.And there was a priest standing there with a bucket of holy water sprinkling the walkers as they walked by.And every time a survivor walked by the people on the side were cheering.

Kate I m sorry if I offended you by that post about the hair.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Thanks RunFree.  I like the idea that there is no wrong decision.  I think you are right about that.  I also like the idea of a new, fresh, easy access place to deal with this thing.  The newer location is in one of my favorite places in the city.  We used to live in that area and I always feel so comfortable and at home there.  We are actually looking for a house nearby right now.  

Janis, I think we will all focus on you on Thursday.  We will send you all of the energy and we will be sending you strength and comfort.  

Brookside I have often asked myself where I would live if I could choose.  I feel like it means the world to me to see my kids and grandkids, but I don't love living in the upper Midwest.  I always wish for a more moderate climate.  As the grandkids get older they seem to need grandma less on a regular basis.  Maybe the time comes when a person can just choose where they want to live.  I have a friend who lives in a 55+ community on Hilton Head.  She is very happy there. She says they do qigong on the beach, have all kinds of fun on a daily basis.  She says it is keeping her young.   It is like summer camp for grown ups.  Would that be a fun place to live, I wonder?  Their home is new and modern and charming - all on one level.  She often invites us to come and check it out.  My husband is a midwest boy.  He loves it here and just wants to lease a place in Florida in the winter.  That way he can fly in and out of his ER shifts.  Fun to think about.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie your description of the walk just brings tears to my eyes.  What a mix of emotions for you.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Josie I don't even remember what you said, but it certainly did not offend me at all

xoxo,

Kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Kate were you ever able to see the pics?

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Yes Josie I finally can see the photos and sorry I forgot to tell you that they are fabulous

• RunFree16
    edited June 2013

Josie, your description made me misty too.  I didn't recognize the name of that song, so I looked it up on Youtube and watched the official video and then one with the lyrics on the screen, and I can imagine it would make everybody cry!  It's a very powerful song.  That sounds like an amazing experience.

GiGiL, the Hilton Head community does sound like fun!  I'd certainly be tempted to go check it out, if only because I get a lot out of imagining fun situations like that.  Much cheaper than actually living them.  No matter what you do about this upcoming mammo, it's great that the new center is in a location you really like.  I liked Sew's advice to go check it out tomorrow if you can, because then you can ask them in person about their notification practices.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Run, I can do that can't I?  I can just stop over there.  It is very close to me, and in my area where I shop and go out to eat a lot.  I used to have a pcp there.  My husband still sees the guy.  I didn't like the fact that he seems to be a man's man and was kind of flip with me about my first abnormal mammo.  I won't be going back to him, that is for sure.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all

Josie - wow...pics & music, and all those survivors...yeah tears very moving. Luv your team:)

Janis - we'll be in your pocket...maybe we can help guide the injection so you won't feel anything...we'll try.

GiGil - great advice and there is no right or wrong just what gives you the greatest comfort a d peace:). Current home in TX is a >55 play land...Zumba, weight lifting, yoga, line dancing, threadmill, tai chi, Pilates, ballroom, kayaking, swimming, football! Adjusting to down sizing...but some of my refrigerator friends have places here too...so I bounce...here...lake...Rancho Mirage...I know deep down hubby is Ca and I will always e a SoCal surfer girl...Coronado Island:). But for now playtime...go for it! That's what airplanes are for and buddy passes!

Sew - love the cakeballs...yum:)

Kate - hope today is a better day and you are adding activities to your date book! BDays Rock:)

It's fun to think about where...go and try it and think next...like adventure:)

Just rinsed Anti Cancer - David Servan Schreiber ...very good read...whole foods here I come...and playtime too:) luv u girlie girls ha!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

RunFree - made commitment ...just refilled RX for Aromasin ...gulp! Hope it continues to be a non event...pound those bones runner:)