Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Sew and Rmlulu - You are both right. I am on a mission. There are repairs that need to be done so it will pass inspection. As Is really looses you a ton of money here and it is my retirement but I will do as little as possible to dump it. If taking a hit saves my life so be it. I hate apts but it looks like I may just need one to get me out of here.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Bunkie - yes, apartment with a month to month contract...

See if your health improves...perhaps just moving to a new safe clean environment will brighten up your spirit...and help you move on.

Interview 3-4 brokers in area and ask pricing for as is and rehab. Then determine your best course of action.

Hurry back to CA.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

What a lousy lightbulb, Bunkie!   And I hate that your house is so mean to you!  Do you think  it would help to have a heavy duty cleaning crew scrub walls and floors (no toxic chemicals, of course) and haul anything you don't need right now off to the garage, and vacuum like crazy?  And haul all curtains, throw rugs, bedskirts, and tablecloths to the washing machine or cleaners?  While you wear a dust mask, of course.  Probably the all-at-once approach would do a lot for the allergen count.  Also, a good real estate agent can give you pointers on staging your house.  Mostly, this seems to involve packing away a lot of your beloved stuff, but, again, this will reduce hiding places for those nasty dust mites and mold particles and whatever else is out to get you.  I hate that you have to do this.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Happy Birthday Kate!!!!  Look how many people are wishing you well--you have such a team!  I am sure you're having a wonderful time today and you have fabulous plans for this week.  Janis sent you an exquisite cake!  Save me a piece!

Also, speaking of teams, congrats to your Blackhawks as the Bruins continue the tradition of Boston sports chokery.  I guess we're sort of used to it!

Bunkie, what a good idea to look for an apartment.  If you can swing it financially, that would be a great move.  A storage unit is also a great move, unless the apartment had some storage space in it for the things you're planning to keep.  And I will ask also if you might be able to get out of MI (depending on all your factors) sooner than when the house actually sells.  Selling is what realtors are for.  Unless you were planning to do a "for sale by owner" situation, I say move when the house is cleaned out and let somebody earn that realtor commission.  Even if it costs a plane ticket to get back for a closing, you'd be able to start your next chapter much sooner that way.  Cheaper than pharmaceuticals and your health is priceless anyway.

And once again, happy birthday Kate!!!

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2013

Come to think of it, Bunkie, a good real estate agent can tell you which maintenance projects will get you your money back, or better, and which will not.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Brookside, Cindy, and Bunkie thank you for the birthday wishes.

Janis thankyou for the wonderful girlie-girl cake with white layers and lemon filling yum! Being a girlie-girl pink is my favorite color. It is so much fun to be 21 lol.

My freind and hairdresser is coming here in 4 hours to pretty me up. Then it is off to PF Chang's by the promenade for dinner. After dinner shopping in the promenade and cocktails. I am feeling good off of chemo this week and I am ready to party. My next big party will be in Malibu Friday. I think I will bring my two tiara's the one Gigil made for me, and the one Joan made for me. You've got to have bling in Malibu. Cindy I will wear your princess coat there. Everyone in Malibu acts like royalty, so why shouldn't I

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2013

Kate, one of the very nice things about being 21 is they can serve you wine.  Party, party, party!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Kate I am really happy you like your cake.  You noticed all the diamonds I hope?  Your favorites.

Bunkie I wish you were feeling better and not dealing with so many issues.  I hope you are able to find some resolution that works easily for you.  I know there is not one clear and simple solution.  Just give it a lot of thought.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Wow I'm way behind.This thread is busy.Happy Birthday Kate and happy belated b day Cindy.

It sounds like you two know how to celebrate!!!

April I'm so glad you are feeling better.Both my daughter's have asthma and VCD(vocal cord disfunction)Sometimes it's aggravated by smells like perfumeS,cleaners etc.We actually take them to asthma doctor.They perform a pulmonary function test on them at least every 6months.There is an actual test they can do on you you to for sure diagnose the asthma.They have you inhale a medicine and if you have an asthma attack then you have asthma.It's kind of scared though.They have a inhaler ready and oxygen if you need it.

My good friend is in the hospital with pneumonia right now.She has a severe lung condition due to exposure to pesticides after having her home sprayed for bugs.She walked in and it hadn't been aired out yet.This happened like 22 yrs ago and will shorten her life tremendously.

She is so depressed so we visited on Sunday and brought her some frozen yogurt.

Had a rough evening with my youngest DD again.It seems to have gotten better with time.I apologized to her and I think she is sorry to.She took my necklace that I ordered for my sister.I just received it in the mail and she thought it should belong to her.I finally had to rip it out of her hand after threatening to ground her and finally yelling at her.She wouldn't give it up.I may have overreacted a little.Not sure where this comes from but it's been a rough few weeks.

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Josie - Wow that is why I got Sarcoidisis. They sprayed my apt with pesticides just before I moved in and then I found mold in the swamp coolers used for air conditioning. It changed my life.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Kate Happy Birthday.  Hope you are enjoying your dinner at pf Changs.  I thought it would be nice to go there today in solidarity.  However I had to take my pops to the doctor.  We finally got him in to a hemotology oncologist.  He  has a blood condition that requires a transfusion when his hemoglobin drops.  It was a long darned day.  At the end of the appointment we ended up at Applebys.  The music there was so loud and he is so hard of hearing.  I dropped him off and then had to shop for my Granddaughter Maya's birthday.  Her birthday is the 27 and we got her a tent and a sleeping bag.  We are going to visit her and watch her softball game in the morning, eat an early dinner, and my daughter,  two other grandkiddos and I are going to sleep out in the new tent with the birthday girl.  We plan lots of fun - bonfire, s'mores, all kinds of fun things.  They have huge mosquitoes up there on the farm.  We are going to have to protect ourselves from those!!

So glad our birthday girls are having fun this week!!

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

GiGil - after your day with dad...rest up. You will need it in that tent. Hope you have an air mattress...princess and the pea:) and a mosquito net!

You're a great gramme :)))

Kate - rock the Bday princess:))))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Kate, I am popping in to wish you a happy birthday! My company left this afternoon and I've been waiting for the chance to pop in here. Celebrate!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Cindy, air mattress for sure!!  Couldn't get back up off the ground without it.  Ha! Ha!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Runfree, Josie, Sab and Cindy thank you for the birthday wishes

Janis of course I noticed the diamonds on the cake. I am a girlie girl and diamonds are a girls best friend

Gigil thank you for the birthday wishes and I am sorry that daddy isn't feeling well

I had a great day. Physically I felt pretty good, so that was wonderful. My friend and hairdresser came here this afternoon to do my hair, and she brought me flowers, wine and a wonderful card. What she said on the card brought tears to my eyes. Besides wishing me happy birthday she said" I love that with your health problems you are always brave, happy, and strong. I admire your courage. You will always have your hair stylist to make you beautiful on your road to recovery"

This evening Kelly and I went to PF Changs and had chardonnay, chicken lettuce wraps, szechuan beef, szechuan shrimp, and brown rice. I am stuffed. We could not eat it all, so we took a to go box for Kelly's husband. Then we went to the Santa Monica mall to shop, and then sit outside the food court to view the ocean. Thursday I am going to shop till I drop. Then Friday a wonderful celebration in Malibu. So the celebrations continue. I need as many celebrations as I can before my 6 hour chemo treatment Monday July 1

xoxo,

Kate 

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Kate it sounds like your birthday was wonderful.  You deserve to be spoiled!  I am really happy you have other fun plans this week.  Party on!  I am so happy you liked the cake.  I knew you would! 

Josie I am really sorry you are having issues with your daughter.  She is at that age where she wants to push your buttons and get under your skin.  I know how hard it is to be patient.  I really hope you can find some time to have a meaningful conversation with her. I know you are having a tough time right now Josie.  You have a lot to deal with and you really deserve a break.  I hope something good comes you way soon.

Gigil how sweet of you to buy things for a tent party. You know those little ones will be thrilled.  S'mores?  Oh you know I need to come and join you.  I can help with crowd control.  

By the way I go to the cardiologist today.   My appointment is at 11:20.  We will leave here early as I have to go fill out all that new patient paperwork.  I am not sure what to expect, but I will post later after I get home.  Hoping you can jump in my pocket today and keep me sane!  :)

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Janis,

I hope all goes well at your cardiologist appointment. I am in your pocket and will have wind for you when you are finished

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

typo of course I won't have win d ready for you lol, but I will have wine

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Kate - Really enjoyed your birthday yesterday. The Beef and Broccoli was really good and so was the lettuce wraps. I almost made myself sick with the carrot cake. That was here from the cake place down the street. Definitely not a cheesecake factory but it was OK. So glad you had a good day. Today I have to rest so you are on your own shopping.

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Cindy - I am reading back posts and I missed your birthday too. Happy birthday!!!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2013

Happy birthday kate!,!

Janis, still in your pocket, waiting for news.

Xoxo

• justmejanis
    edited June 2013

Susannah, thank you so much for keeping me in yout thoughts.  The appointment was strange.  Nurse was lovely and she did do an EKC which was normal.  They took no personal history regarding grandparents.  My dad's mom died of a heart attacj when she was about 20.  My grandma on my mom's side had a massive heart attack at age 65.  So clearly there are some heredity factors.

My new doctor did not impress me one bit.  He asked what I did when I had chest pains.  Well, mostly I work hard on not having a panic attack.  I told him I lie as still as possible until the waves of pain vanish.  He told me that would do no good.  He said I need to get up, chew as many Tums as possible and if the pain goes away then I am clear to go back to bed.  It scares me everyone!  Anyway tomorrow I am having more tests at St. Alphonsis.  I have to be at the hospital at 7:45.  The tests tomorrow will be about three hours.  I have to fast starting about now.  I hope with all my heart his test means something and they can tell me what or where is the problem.

Thank you all for being here for me.  You ladies are so amazing.  I love yuou all!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Thank you for the birthday wishes Suzannah

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Janis - So he thought you were having heartburn???????????? What a joke.

Been in your pocket all day.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2013

Janis:   ?????

Was that a cardiologist?  Maybe the janitor passing through and trying on a new career?  With the Tums and all, he sounds like a gastroenterologist, but didn't you just get a GI workup?  I know they probably passed your history on to him, yet his not asking about family history still sounds weird.  Apparently, he thinks your pains might be caused by gastric reflux.  This is indeed far better than a cardiac issue, but wasn't the idea that you'd get a cardiac workup?  Is that what's happening tomorrow?  Is the fasting for bloodwork?  Do you know what tests you'll be getting?  Sorry for all the questions, but this seems pretty confusing.

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all

Janis - we will just ave a slumber party in your pocket! That way we won't mss TE early appointment. Fingers&toes crossed tat all your test go well and the source of the heart problems is Loud&Clear! Time to get it resolved !!M

Kate - way to rock Bday:). Serious retail therapy and sunset views ...Ahhh:)

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2013

Janis, hopefully the testing will be more helpful than the human cardiologist-r you sure he is a cardiologist? They are usually such careful doctors. Tums? Is this scientific? Maybe u should get a new cardiologist after your test suits come in.

In your pocket for the tests tomorrow-but if that cardiologist comes near I'm jumping out to give him a kick.

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Whoa...watch out questionable cardio guy your days may be numbered...better treat our Janis right or the pocket ninja warriors will get you...boo:)

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis another pocket party for you tomorrow. Do you like deli food? How about corned beef, or roast beef with cole slaw and potato salad. If you don't want the meats we could do salmon salad, or chicken salad.

I am feeling so good today. Nothing special planned, but right now I am feeling well and drinking chardonnay. Tomorrow a shopping spree and Friday malibu. I am so much looking forward to malibu. The last time I was there I hadn't started chemo yet. It is supposed to be 77 and sunny for Malibu Friday. We sit outside at the Malibu Inn and drink wine and party. That is across from the ocean. Then we may go to Duke's and have a drink so we can enjoy the ocean views. Then off to the Mission for fabulous Mexican Food. I can't wait to party. Cindy I hope you are still rocking your b-day p;arties.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Hi Janis.  Maybe you should mention the details of your visit to whichever doctor attends at the hospital?  They may have an opinion on what questions you should have been answering.  I am very happy that your EKG was normal.  That's a good start!

Oh my, over 4 hours in the dentist's chair this morning, painkillers and napping this afternoon.  Swelling and pain are going away, and I am up and about to try out my new crowns and filling, maybe on some oatmeal.  I must admit it was very interesting, they milled the new crowns in their own office using computer imaging. Dentist said that she thinks eventually they will use a 3D printer to make new teeth.  

Gigi, a tent sleepover is a real memory maker.  What a dear Grandma.