Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2013

Man, Janis, I knew we had a lot in common....DX days too!

Sab, alas, no vacation with Janis although it does sound devine. The rum too. No more broken windows or well failures for you, OK? It's bad with no water, I know first hand. I can only recommend you stay friendly with the local Y or swim center in your area...always great for that much needed shower, tehehe

Josie, I'm fine, thanks for checking. I see my primary care dr for yearly exam tomorrow....think I'm going to flunk the cholesterol test big time and I just know he's going to complain about my weight, as he should since I've gained 12 pounds in the last 2 1/2 years. On my side, I'm going to try to convince him that now that I'm 65 he doesn't need to do Pap smears either at all like Kaiser, or just every 2 years. That will make the visit worth it. That and finding out if my anemia has finally gone away....

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2013

Happy birthday, Janis.  And a very happy and year to come.  Your roses are almost as gorgeous as your cake.  Yummmm.  Hope you ate and ate and ate, and magically gained not an ounce.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2013

Happy Birthday janis!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2013

Janis, happy birthday along with Brookside!  Your roses and cake were both gorgeous.  I'm sorry you don't get to take vacations.  We don't usually take long ones, but traveling somewhere has been important to us and I'm so grateful we can do it.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2013

Sew, you and I are going to have to run off to celebrate our 5th year being cancer free.  I think as soon as we ditch the Arimidex we deserve a fun trip.  We have plenty of time to plan!  In the meantime.....I hope your annual goes well today.  Sending happy thoughts your way.

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.  Brookside I am afraid I did enjoy that cake a little too much.  I wish it had gone through the calorie extractor though!

RunFree I would love a vacation someday and it will happen eventually.  I want to go to Wyoming and Colorado to visit my two grown sons, my grandson, sister, and niece.  Someday!  We moved here thjree years ago and have never b een able to get back there.  My youngest son really wants us to come see his home in Colorado.  He and his wife live high in the mountains west of Denver.  I have seen photos and it is gorgeous and what a beautiful mountain retreat.  My husband cannot go, the elevation is 9,400' and he can't breathe with his bad lungs.  He has no problem with me going of course.  It is just difficult to figure it all out as i do not fly.  Nope.  Seems so stupid to me that I can fight cancer and feel empowered, but can't get on a plane.  I have flown and it is a major panic attack for me.  HUGE.  Not enough Ativan on earth I am afraid!  I have a real phobia.  :(

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Oh Janis, fear of flying is such a toughie.  How long of a drive would it be?  The CO son is the one who lost the beautiful dog a little while ago, right?  Such a shame about your husband's lungs.  This all does seem like a pretty obstructive combination.

My frantic hunger since starting Tamoxifen seems a little less ferocious in the past week.  I hope it's easing up.  However, the hot steamy weather has departed and I still find myself drenched in sweat off and on.  Uh oh.  It's kind of minor so far.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013

Hi, I missed a few days...
    Janis, what's this??? You didn't come through with your BD announcement?  After all the cakes and wishes you do for us???  OK...........make room...........

Happy Birthday dear Janis!!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2013

Sew, it is good to see you around here.  I think I am right here with you and Janis on the 2 year anniversary schedule.  My surgery was Aug. 29th 2011 and I started Arimidex in October.  I stopped in December due to my weird chest pain that I've had so long. Did rads then switched to Femara and am living a "normal" life with it.  I am committed so far even though I don't love it.   

Thinking of you, Josie.
    Kate, I hope there is a solution that works for you...don't forget to wear pockets this week...am jumping in.
    SAB, I did not realize you are still out of water!  That's not easy....I hope it is fixed by now.  Is DH feeling OK? How is DD recovering?

Runfree, glad you can weigh in on the Tamox. 
    Bunkie, that is good news....I hope that having your original birth certificate will help you if there is information that you need or want. 

Cindy, are you ready for the 5th wheel-er lifestyle?  I've always felt that the price of a camper would cover a lot of nice hotel rooms!  Let us know how it goes!

I keep losing my post so am sending...

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

I am going to see my MO tomorrow and I will find out the results of my CT scans and cystocopy. I am praying for good news.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Hi y'all

Janis - Happy Birthday...keep working it...more cake please :)

Sew - yippee 5 yr anniversary :) congrats

And happy dance for those coming up on 2 yrs...milestones :))

And all our long term (5yr) commitments to HT :) (: we've got this.

Kate - curl up in your princess warrior coat and feel the (((squeeze))) we are there in your pockets with our fingers&toes crossed for MO visit...cheers!

Josie - hope the week is going well for you and you are able to make a career move that will provide the best for you.

Joan - hope the ferry ride was calm but family loudly fun:)

RunFree - summertime escapes to create family memories...yeah:)

Hubby got cold feet on RVing ha! We usually fly, rent condo, do day trips, but I love to camp the coast and wanted to introduce my DIL and gs to camping fun...hes talking motorhome now...there's always a project...:) Zumba almost killed me today...no shimmy for this girl...forgot to wear a 2nd bra and my chicken fillet for support ouch!

There is something about a baby...my heart smiled looking at the proud loving mom&dad :)

Waiting for it to cool down for an evening walk...enjoy the moonlight:) everyone!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• justmejanis
    edited July 2013

Kate I hope you get good news tomorrow too.  Will be hopping in your pocket with a fresh batch of lemon cakeballs.  Keep us posted and good luck.

Cindy sorry the RV thing was not such a hit.  You tried though!  We are waiting for a cool down here too.  I really, really need some better sleeping weather.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Sew, I hope it's all good news at your annual today!

Kate, slipping in your pocket for all of the updates tomorrow.

Runfree, hard to deal with hot flashes and hunger, especially with this weather. I hope it lessens for you soon.

Joan, our water is back on line and my Dd is doing better. She's limping around for work and school. We are discussing buying her a well used car for her 21st birthday if we can figure the finances out. It would be safer than a bike in the city I think. DH is back to normal again. Dd the younger is doing community service at a therapeutic camp and I am driving her there and back every day. It's going to be a road warrior kind of month for me.

Janis, after your picture I didn't trust myself in the bakery section at Costco and skipped it entirely!

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Thanks SAB!  Glad you have your water back.  Sheesh, of all the crazy doings.  Janis, I sure hope you get a break in your weather.  We're back in the normal range now and it makes such a difference.

Sew, we're with you at the checkup tomorrow, and Kate, we can be in two places at once for sure because we're with you too!  Hoping for that good news....

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2013

Hope all is well with everyone tonight.I have been on the Tamoxofin.But since Sunday and having had any problems except maybe a little anxiety on the way to work this morning.Probably due to the work environment.Everybody is walking around on eggshells wondering whose next.They asked the nurses(RN' s) to cut their hours today.And somebody in the receptionist volunteered to cut her hours down to2days a week.She is older and widowed.I keep reminding myself I'm lucky to still have a job but it's going to be rough until I can get about her pt job or full time?

• josie123
    edited July 2013

Good luck tomorrow Kate I'll be in your pocket.

RunFree hope the hot flashes don't get to bad.I know what you mean by the appetite.

But my allergies have been so bad that my one eyelid is almost raw it's so red and the outside corner is thick and red and it t constantly waters and itches like mad.Hope this cool weather will get rid of these allergies.Did you know that Tamoxofin has interactions with 327 different meds like acetemenofin and diphenhydramine.Most all antidepressants and even soy.Really???

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2013

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the wishes, my check up went great, although I expect I really messed up,his schedule! Didn't have to have the full pap, just the pelvic (not much difference, really but I'm glad anyway). He thinks my cough (3 months), voice issues (5 months) and breathing issues my all be related to GERD, so we're trying a Pepcid type drug. Wouldn't that be great....3 birds with one stone and maybe I'll sleep better too! Turns out my thyroid is low too hence some of the fatigue. So....I'm well pleased to have gone in.

Cindy, alas I'm only at the 2 year mark....but 5's on its way. I think renting the rv when needed would be a perfect solution.

Josie, talk about stress. Your job and everyone there must really be feeling it. One step at a time, I'm hopefully you'll find a new job.

Run free....layers. Not cakes but clothing. That and hankies...the euphemism for sweat rags...I carried them for about 8 years during menopause....and that was before going on Arimidex!

Joan...Janis's cake is totally decadent....lets toast all AI's...the little wonder drug....

Kate, good luck tomorrow, here's hoping for all good news.

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Kate, with you today, exceedingly well behaved down in your pocket.  Hoping for really good news.

SAB, so happy both girls are doing well.  I'm with you on car vs. bike.  So much safer!  So much more peace of mind for you!   I'll bet your daughter isn't so keen on riding her bike in traffic either.

RunFree, hot flashes are the worst!  I did the layers thing too.  Not sure how much it helped, but it was so wonderful to be able to take something (anything) off!  I sure hope the hunger is short term.

Janis, any word on your next referral?

• justmejanis
    edited July 2013

RunFree my doctor wants to do the ablation on  my neck.  I am just waiting for the insurance approval then we will get this scheduled.  This procedure uses thicker needles so he said they put both pain meds and anti anxiety meds in thje IV.  Those two diagnostic procedures were brutal so I am clearly concerned about this last procedure.  If this procedure fails I told the doctor I am done.  I can't do this anymore.  It is just too difficult.

Sew glad you had good results from your appointment.  Are they going to give you meds for the low thyroid?

Thinking of all you ladies.  Have a wonderful day everyone.  :)

• beachwalker54
    beachwalker54 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2013

Hi everyone'

I've had summer company and then my computer was acting up.

RunFree I had a laugh about your picture.  Oh well,, I never thought to post a different pic for the threads but I wouldn't know how anyway. lol

now that the extreme heat here seems to have subsided a bit I have been out on my bike.  It seems that the fatigue is getting better lately, however, if I ride a lot one day I need to take it easy the next.  But I'm ok with that for now.

Bunkie10- I am dark skinned too and my breast looks the same way, very dark, almost dirty looking and it peeled a little underneath the breast. It's so much darker than the right one. I don't see my RO until Sept. becfause he came to the vineyard while I was away and i'm going away again in aug.  just wonder if the color will lighten back to somewhat normal at some point?  Other than that my poor boob seems to be just a little sore from everything.

SAB- I keep saying I am going to give yoga a try and there are so many classes here on the island I really have know excuse.  When I finally remember to go to a class that my friend attends I'll let you know how it goes.

I have been keeping my phone close for 2 days waiting for my surgeon to call me back about followup.  I was never given a plan and called myself.  they  then scheduled a bilateral mamo in Feb. 2014, a year from the last one.  Having lobular i was told MRI for followup so I am patiently awaiting the dr.to call me back. She was on vacation so I figure she is really busy, but still 2 days already??? GRRR!! I hate to be a pain and call the desk again but I might have to.

Sweet summer days everyone!  watching the hummingbirds and all the other birds come to my feeders right next to me on the deck is such a thrill and gives me such a sense of peace.  I could literally watch them all day.

going to try to go out in my kayak later today.  Have to get the most out of the short summer! Headed to Florida to visit family next tues. for 2 weeks.  Can't wait to visit everyone. hope I can stand the heat.  will be going snorkling with the grandsons!

hugs and peaceful days.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2013

Beachwalker, sounds like you are having a lovely summer, save all of the aggravation with your dr.  I am a strong advocate of yoga, and want to encourage you to give it a try!

Janis, I'm sorry for the pain you have to endure with these procedures.  

Josie, it is amazing about the drug interactions with tamoxifen. I did a review of my otc drugs after starting it, and had to change multivitamins because of soy, and some naturally occuring estrogens, like borage oil (I think.)  It's a pain.  I also started hot flashes, that's good in my mind because it means that the tamoxifen is working (how is that for looking at the bright side?) and I agree with layers, and will add in the thought of a lovely hand fan.

Sew, it's always a good feeling to have those appointments behind us, and to have some of our issues addressed. I'm glad to hear you may have a quick fix for fatigue and gerd related stuff.  My SIL, a voice over artist, had some concerns about her voice, and simple antacid fixed her right up.  

I have to wake dd the younger up now, and drive her to her community service which is about 45 minutes away. She is working at a therapeutic camp/farm with a group of high functioning autistic kids (did I mention this, if so I'm sorry) and learning about some social strategies herself. We'll be doing this for the next 4 weeks, and I hope that she takes the opportunity to incorporate some of the learning.  

Have a great day everyone.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2013

Hi y'all

Beachwalker54 - let me know how the kayak goes...I want to so bad but not sure how arm will do...hate to ask for a tow back...keep moving...mammo for me late Nov:)

Janis - so sorry appointment was so difficult hang in there...fingers&toes crossed for this next procedure in your pocket:)

Kate - it's crowded in here, but oh the cakeballs are yummy :)

SAB - yes, a car for edd good thing...no more bike. Yeah, water...here's to a good normal week :)

RunFree - ugh hot flashes ...advice layers, sit near door, don't put hands on conference table or sit in leather chair...sweat marks...pretend you have an urgent call and go stand in front of fan/refrig, carry hanky...our grams knew:)

Josie - with all the drama and uncertainty at work...breath...tami gulp most likely will present IF its going to weeks out...so this is more likely the unrest upheaval at work...hang in there...good times are coming:)

Sew - yippee :). You did it! Bravo!

My new glasses are ready:) finally I've been living in my bifocal sunglasses...gotta go shower and clean up. My left side is swollen and tender again...LE...not sure if over done or just not enough ledbed exercise time this past week...today...cry, cry,cry,and stroll along chat chat to Sway by the pussycats...fun :)

(((Hugs))) y'all

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2013

Lulu, do please be careful about kayaking.  Someone in this area had no lymphedema until she overdid it on a kayaking trip.  I'm guessing that you already have a lymphedema therapist who can advise you on how to go about it if you really want to.  I'm thinking flat water only.  Maybe you should stick with the sailing, although in my experience that can be pretty durned physical as well.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited July 2013

Happy Birthday Janis!!!!!

• beachwalker54
    beachwalker54 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2013

RMlulu-

I went kayaking only once this summer so far and I think it was too soon after my rads.  I got a bit nauseus and slowed down, went into the water and rowed back.  hopefully now this won't happen.  I didn't notice anything with my arm that time but maybe my dx and treatment was different.  didn't think of it affecting my arm brooksideVT.  will keep it in mind.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

Janis - Happy Birthday!!! I do not fly either. I stopped flying with the 911 attacks. I was already afraid of flying but did it for work or home to see my folks and had to take a Valium each time. The next year after the 911 attacks I was diagnosed with Sarcoid and they told me not to fly without oxygen. At that point I gave it up totally. I used to take the train but have not since I moved back to Mi and now with the constant vertigo I am afraid it will shake me up too much. We will see.

Kate - Have not read all the posts but am hoping yours is going to be a good one. Thinking of you and will be in your pocket. I am going to get a glazed donut today.

Sab - Thank goodness you have water. that must have been awful.

beachwalker - Glad to know I am not alone with the dark boob. It has been almost 8 mos now and it just looks dirty. Once I tried to rub it off on top a bit. I will not do that again. Hurt too much. I have to say it looks about the same size wise as the other one but when I wear my clothes now I look down and my shirts all hang funny on the BC side. I am always straightening them out because the V neck hangs to the BC side more. Really crazy.

Have been off here for a couple days. Had some appts with Drs and such. Everything is ok but had to get a different Dr for the stomach stuff. The original wanted to do a colonoscopy/scope both but did not see any reason to meet with me first. My PCP and I were just guessing I needed those tests with all my stomach stuff but I refuse to just let a Dr do a procedure without having a consultation first. I guess his office got real mad when I tried to reschedule and left them a voice-mail the week end before. Called me and told me they needed 3 business days notice not two and would be charging me 100. I asked for an appt with the actual Dr first and they never called back. Rude. So I am going to another gastro in a month and we will consult first. My Pap turned out good and no other issues. My hormone test came out showing I am still in menopause because I take the low dose HRT. Still trying to wean off those. If my ER/PR had been positive I would have stopped immediately but they are not and the HRT protects my bones somewhat. Darned if I do, darned if I don't.

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

I didn't read the posts yet I will come back and read them.

I saw my MO today, and got the results of my CT scans. He was out of town, and came back today, so he hasn't talked to my urologist yet. My Ct scans he said showed good news, yet I am depressed. My lung nodule shrunk from 17 mm to 5.7 mm and he said my lymph node nodules, and my bladder tumor shrunk too. He said he is willing to let me have bladder surgery depending on what my urologist says. I told him I refuse to have the type of surgery for an outside bag. He said he will talk to my urologist about neo bladder surgery or some type of surgery that will clean some of it up, but not give me a new bladder. The issue that I am depressed about is that this is all for palliative care, and not to increase the time I will be alive. Remember I don't want to hear bad news, so I don't ask the hard questions. He insinuated that the lung nodule is ok because of the chemo that I am doing now, and after chemo is stopped I guess it will get larger. He talked about doing another chemo later on, but this type of chemo will take my hair. I told him I refuse to do chemo that will make me lose my hair. What it comes down to is that I am doing chemo to extend my life a little and to improve the quality of my life. So, what he is saying is that my cancer is not curable, so removing my bladder, and putting in a neo bladder won't cure me. I asked him that since I am doing so well on chemo is it possible that I could live 5 years, and he said he has seen it. By that I assume that he thinks it is rare. Doc is going to email me after he talks to my urologist about surgery. I also emailed him after I came home from my appointment today to tell him I am depressed about his so called good news

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry.  That's not as good as what you and your many fans were primed to hear.  Not really at all.  It's better than it could be of course, because the nasty stuff is clearly responding to your chemo.  Maybe what your MO learns from your urologist will change the picture for the better.  Did he say when he thought that might be? 

• katehudson25
    edited July 2013

Thanks for the support Runfree, Cindy, Janis, Sab, Josie, Sew, and Brookside.

Runfree my medical oncologist said he is going to talk to my urologist this week, and will email to let me know what he says.

• RunFree16
    edited July 2013

Thanks Kate.  Seems hard that you have to wait even longer. 

• josie123
    edited July 2013

I'm sorry Kate, hope you get better news from the urologist.