Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2013

Josie I hope you enjoyed the margarita I  saved you last night.Joan I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Bunkie so sorry about your frined. Thanks for the support Josie, Joan, Brookside, Bunkie, and Runfee. Thinking about you Gigil and I hope all is well

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited July 2013

Bunkie, that sounds like a much better visit with your doctor than you've had in the past.  I'm glad he's not going to cram you full of Vitamin D and also that he can see there's more going on than what the testing reveals.  I am so sorry about your friend. 

Kate, are you feeling good today?  Any better than prior Tuesdays after long chemo?  I hope so.

My sore spot is fading and getting hard to find.  Big relief.  I will still bring it up with my MO and surgeon when I see them in September, but for now I'm feeling less freaky.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2013

Thanks Kate yes it was a great Maugerita.Hope your not feeling to bad today.

RunFree,glad your doing better.

BUNKIE thinking about you.Sorry about your friend that's terrible.Glad your doc is finally listening to you.

• SheilaB330
    SheilaB330 Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2013

Bunkie,

I have a host of other problems - I have an appointment with a naturalpath dietician to help as lots of conflicting disorders - I have Vitamin D problem. Hashimotos Thyroiditis (Hypothyroidism) plus Hyperparathyroidism, plus Hypercalcuria, plus Hyperglycemia aka low Type 2 Diabetes and Osteopenia. When I went through all the scans to see if cancer from lymph nodes had carried BC elsewhere, they said I currently had 2 kidney stones - likely from fruit smoothies and all the healthy Kale and other oxalates I was eating. So I know down the road with Radiation we are supposed to only have antioxidants from food sources not supplements but I need my D. Radiation Oncologist knows but makes me worried I should just forgo D for 6 1/2 weeks because I want everything optimum to eliminate any cancer. Pester your doctor Bunkie. I hope your spirits are higher Wednesday for you. Hang in there. Cancer is a we disease. Kiss Sheila

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2013

Sheila, actually, I think they do want you to take vitamin D during rads, and maybe a regular daily vitamin. It's everything else that you need to hold off on until a few weeks after rads.  I waited until I felt my arimidex was well established before I started anything else.  For me, that was probably about two months after rads.  The two months was my call--never asked how long I should wait, but it seemed that if these things encourage cell growth, I wanted to be sure my arimidex was out there starving any little buggers that happened to be haning around.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited July 2013

RunFree - Exactly. He was open to discussion finally. I am going to wait till this fall and see if the summer sun helps. That is the most natural way to get Vit D because supplements do not take to the body like the natural form. There is a lot of new information on the Vit D counsel website about it all. Thank God there is also a little info on there about my disease and how it can cause problems.

Shelia - Vit D for almost everyone else is different than for me...unfortunately. My body does not use the extra D like others because of my Sarcoidosis. It is an inflammatory disease and will cause the Vit D tests to look like you are low when you really are not. That is why I have to be careful about the dose I get and allow my body to process. The key is to test the PTH and the 1,25 D hydroxy also. Vit d is not a vitamin it is a hormone. Most of us have too little so I know why they are pushing it.The last time they tested my oxalate's I was low on those too so my stones are calcium. Looks like you have a lot going on too. What did the Dr say about the hyperparathyroidism? I just had a thyroid biopsy that was inconclusive and he is going to watch it and re test in Jan. I have some symptoms that go with that but the biopsy and blood work do not support a definite diagnosis. Ugh! I think they will let you take the Vit D during rads just not some other stuff.

kate - I know you are quiet because you are resting. I hope you feel better in the next day or so. Cake balls for sure. I am always stuck on coconut chocolate. I think lemon would be nice this time.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Runfree and Josie thanks so much for the support. It is bedreaded Wed. and I am doing ok. Worst case I am a little tired. I am so grateful that it's not bad. I am so much hoping to be ok tomorrow and Friday. By Saturday I am usually ok.

• josie123
    edited August 2013

Hope everyone had a good day.It felt like Thursday to me.Wishful thinking!!!

More drama at work I asked yesterday if they would consider me as an MA even if it was just on the 2 days I wasn't doing Bone Densities.They said there wasn't a full time position available for the MA and typically they don't just have a part time MA but the one Doctor is part time 24 hours a week if I took that position.That is such a load of crap.The one MA put in her notice Monday and the one they laid off was offered a full time position yesterday after my proposal.Then today about her full time MA put in her notice.They offered her more money and whatever to get her to stay.She is considering right now.They as 're even posting a help wanted ad on Craigs list but under confidential I think it is us because of the email address.

• RunFree16
    edited August 2013

Kate, thanks for the update, and I'm glad it's going relatively smoothly so far.  I hope the next two days are OK and then it's over for this round.

Josie, that sounds like a lot of game-playing.  Are you tempted to play back and apply for the job posted on Craigslist?  (Like the old Pina Colada song.)  Anyway I bet you are looking around for a better job--one where you're appreciated.  Sheesh.

Bunkie it's great that you've educated yourself so well on Vitamin D.  I have been taking it for about 4 years.  Guess what?  It doesn't prevent breast cancer.  (Little black humor there.)  Anyway I'm just glad that you felt listened to this time.  That's so vital to any medical encounter.

• josie123
    edited August 2013

RunFree, yes I am so over this job and that's a shame because I really love my co workers and They love me.I never thought I would leave and part of me just wants to stay.

Just anouther one of those detours or road blocks God puts in our journey of life.

I don't want to start all over again at a new place.Grrrr!!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Josie so sorry you are having problems at work.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2013

Hi there everyone.  Sorry I have been absent.  Life has been crazy for me lately.  My grandson had a surgery to have pins placed and he is hopefully on the mend.  He hasn't been feeling great the past two days.  Poor kid has been through so much. He went back to summer school on Monday and I think it is wearing him out a bit.  Daughter is taking him in for a quick check up tomorrow.

My dad is doing okay, holding steady.  But about 10 days ago my husband had a freakish thing happen.  He was getting ready for bed and suddenly lost his peripheral vision in his right eye.  He was also a little confused.  I took him to the hospital and after a full night of testing they found he had a small stroke in his occipital lobe of his brain - the part that controls eyesight.  The symptoms cleared up in 18 hours, but now he is on coumadin, maybe for the rest of his life.  He has a small hole in his heart that some cardiologists say is there in 25% of the population, but it can contribute to stroke.  We found out he had this some time back when he was being evaluated for atrial fibrillation.  The cardiologist said it was a harmless variation of normal, but now we find out it is maybe not so harmless.  It has been a bit dis-heartening.  Ah well, we have to keep doing the best we can to get on top of this stuff.   It has definitely been a wake up call though.  

I tried to go back and catch up with some of the posts.  Kate, glad to hear you are holding steady.  Josie, sounds like you have had some work challenges.  I will catch up with everyone soon.  I think we are getting back to our new normal around here now.  Yikes!

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Josie, isn't it a shame the staff can't hire the bosses?  Sounds like you're working with a great group.  If only the fly in the ointment (management) could be replaced!  I sure hope you're using your free time to look for a more supportive environment.  How about some of the doctors who moved on?  Are any of them still in the area?  One of them might be able to give you an introduction to someone who deserves to be your manager.

Gigil, I'm sure pulling for that poor kid, but also for you and his parents.  A little bit of stroke is the last thing you all need.  How is hubby emotionally?  This, on top of everything else, must really have him (and you) at the ends of your ropes.

• josie123
    edited August 2013

Thanks for the encouragement Brookside.We do have a doc that used to be in our practice that is very close with our doc's and our management.They are hiring but it's a small practice and includes front office duties.I'm not so sure I want to still pursue being strictly an MA but would really enjoy continuing with doing Bone Densities and possibly get my certification in that.

Gigil I'm so sorry about your husband.I'm glad his full vision came back though.Glad your little GS is doing ok after that painful surgery.It's amazing to me how fast he recovers and doesn't let it slow him down too much.Bless his heart.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2013

Thanks Brookside and Josie. It has been a bit nerve frazzling. My husband is a bit bummed about the Coumadin. We are looking into a monitor so he can do his own labs, which should make it a little more bearable. Cole is a tough little man. He hates taking pain meds and tells his mom that his power will heal him and he doesn't need to make the pain go away. He is just amazing! He inspires me.

Josie, you have a lot to offer any medical practice. We used to hire MA's a lot. Your plans to expand into bone density certification sounds like a great idea.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2013

GiGil - There you are. Thanks goodness I was wondering if Cole was OK. Sounds like he is not without issues but on the mend. Your dad sounds OK too. Hopefully the blood thing is working out. I am really sorry about your hubby. I am sure he has got some getting used to meds time and he will have to monitor his reaction etc. With the work he does and schedule I hope it will work for him. Yes it is an eye opener for sure.

Josie - lets hope you get a different job. I agree that bone density is a good field to get into. I know what you mean about loving your co workers. That is the way it was at ATT before I left. They were closing down all the live operator jobs so I had no one left to manage except robots. No thanks.

Kate - sounds good that you are ok. Hopefully they gave you enough meds for the nausea. You are in the home stretch now. By the week end you will be getting out for some fun.

• RunFree16
    edited August 2013

GiGiL, so good to hear from you, but wow, what a roller coaster!  I can't even believe something else went wrong.  I'm glad Cole's surgery is over with and your dad is holding steady.  But your husband's stroke is so scary.   My mom's on Coumadin and it's a constant chemistry experiment, dose changing all the time, but that's all.  She just has to make sure everybody's aware of it if she needs anything invasive done.  Goodness, such a hard time you're all having.  I hope Cole's healing continues to go well despite the summer school.

Josie, I would really miss my co-workers too so I totally get that.  It's very hard.  Maybe there's something really good awaiting you though.

Kate, I wish you no nausea, no fatigue, and nice busy bowels. 

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Gigil, I am glad Cole's surgery went well, but sorry he isn't feeling well right now. Very glad your dad is doing ok, but sad that your hubby had a medical scare.MG you have your hands full/

I am doing ok today. Better than any Thursday except maybe the first Thursday when I first started chemo. I hope the chemo is still working and resistance didn't come into effect. I am waiting for UCLA urology dept to call me for a second opinion for my surgery. My next appointment with my MO is Fri. Aug. 9.His appointment is usually for 20 minutes. I told him that since I will have to make decisions regarding 2 more months of chemo and about surgery I will need more time than that, and he said he will give it to me. He goes on vacation the following Monday, so it will be good to get all of my questions answered before he goes. This time I will have to ask questions that I have been avoiding. I do better if I don't know how grave my illness is, but I will have to know some answers in order to see if I want to do two more months of chemo and have surgery.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2013

Gigi-I hope that you are holding up with all of the turmoil around you....and that your husband and Cole will both be well.

Kate-Glad that you are feeling ok this week, and that you have put steps in place to formulate a plan.

Josie-I know you will keep your friendships when you walk away to a better job. Time for an adventure!

Tomorrow afternoon I have yet another interview.  

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013

Hi & wishing everyone well.
    Gigi, so good to hear from you.  Is your grandaughter back home now?  It must be so hard for Cole to go through this recovery...and hard for his parents and grandparents too.  Hugs...
    SAB - good luck with the interview!  I am sorting through my pix and will post some...it is good to be home.
    Josie, what a runaround...you deserve better.  Sometimes it is impossible to figure out what the managers are trying to do...it must be very hard on you right now Undecided
    Bunkie, so glad you have a doctor who is hearing you and working with you. 
    Kate, it's almost the week end and I truly hope you are feeling better today.
    Hi to everyone here....you are very special to me.
    Joan

• josie123
    edited August 2013

Joan, thanks so much your very special to all of us too!!

Have a great day too!!

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Joan welcome home!  

I am prepping my interview right now.  I am thinking how competitive the job market is...last month I had to actually write and justify a project for a marketing position, and today I have to follow my interview with a presentation.  These are not the greatest jobs, and they are first round interviews!  Something about the process just doesn't seem right to me. I am more than willing to put in hours applying and then preparing, but I don't believe that some of these assignments (that take days) should be made until the field is narrowed.

That's my rant, I'm done.  I think.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2013

SAB - fingers&toes crossed ... Rock the interview!

1st 90 seconds makes the hiring impression...so don't worry after that...walk in with the smile and confidence that you own this. They would be lucky to score you on their team.

Now go give yourself a big kiss in the mirror :)

• Chefstef
    Chefstef Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2013

I am looking for someone in NH who has used one of our doctors.  I think I am going to switch but want to make sure I am not going from the frying pan into the fire.  If you are from NH and have used any doctor at Dartmouth, please let me know.  I am very scared of getting someone who isn't good.  Thanks

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Sab, I hope your interview goes well.

I am having a problem with constipation today, but othersie I am ok. So, this bout of chemo wasn't bad. YEAH!

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Hi, Chef, I used DHMC for all, and I know at least one more of our group has used them as well.  I loved all my people.  Who are you using and not liking?

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Oops.  I meant to send that as a PM.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

So glad you're feeling better just in time for the weekend, Kate.  Princess warrior power!

SAB, sounds almost like they want you to develop their new marketing plan for free.  If that's where interviews are going, I sure hope I can keep the job I have!

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Thanks for the support guys.  First 90 seconds went well, but it was downhill from there.  Anyway, the interview was rough but the presentation went well. I've had three careers, and it is hard to answer questions sometimes.  I'm working on it. Meanwhile, back to the job boards.  xo 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2013

Sab, I bet you did just great. And anyway, they probably don't need to hire you now because as Brookside points out...you've already done all the work they needed to have done. Just think...you won't need to get a driver for DD the younger, and you can kayak and hike all day if you want. Much better than working!

On a scarier note, my poor sister-in-law is now awaiting results of her needle biopsy done yesterday. Apparently they're not calling her today, so she'll have to wait until Monday. That poor woman has had enough without BC too!