Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2013

Hi y'all

Feeling like a teen...dance tonight The Eggmen ...Beatles, Stones, Monkeys, Donovan, all this white hair twist and shout...fun! Beats the treadmill :)

Kate - so glad you're doing good heading into weekend...must be all the pocket party (((squeezes)))

SAB - you did good :). We're always hard on ourselves ...take a hike with hubby and enjoy the CA air:)

GiGil - oh my keeping Cole in prayers...he's a warrior...and hubby...you do have a busy household...try and act normal everyone ha

Joan - welcome back from your Big Adventure :) fun trip for work post pics:)

RunFree - your a NH warrior...suggestions for Chefstef...hope so:) wishing you were back on the lake:)

Josie - ugh :( how disappointing and just plain unprofessional...geezer :(. Hope something great comes your way and you able to switch and be valued:) camp out this weekend...

Sew - give your sil a hug from us...glad she has you by her side :). Ugh this c :((

Brookside - weekend with sweet Caroline...our grands:)

Bunkie - hope the house us coming along...getting your vit D in the garden naturally :)

Sheila - enjoy the weekend break from chemo land :) hope you are doing ok

Tomorrow a friend's hubby is coming over so she can escape...he had a knee replacement last week and the 2nd night home fell in bathroom jammed body against door paramedics came...stitches on nose and under & over eye ugh! He requested to visit hubby...cabin fever and he said he knew we would not laugh...ego is banged up too! She is so exhausted...a massage at day spa...:) just what her hubby order:)

Gonna take a Aleve just in case my HT & twist and shout make getting out of bed a challenge in the morning:

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2013

Cindy, you go girl....  I can just hear the music.  perhaps I'll dance my way down the street while walking with DH this morning. 

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2013

Kate - I am so pleased you are doing well in spite of the chemo. You are a true fighter and someone I look up to. I always thought I was strong back when I was working but that was nothing. When I look back those were the easy times. You keep going like you are and you will get through all this.

RMlulu - You dance girl. I wish I could. Maybe one day again. I do good walking Sam's club with a cart but it is something. Baby steps.

Sew - Sorry about your SIL waiting for results. That is the worst part I remember. Waiting. I hope she is OK. Prayers to her.

Sab - If they did not hire you than that was not the job for you. Something better is down the road. Keep looking and soon there will be something better for you.

Brookside, Josie, RunFree, Janis, Joan, Sciencegal - Just stopping in. Hope you all have a great week end. I am a little tired because the neighbors kitty got into a scrape with a skunk last night and the smell was really bad. Woke me up and I slept really bad after that.

I have been watching House crashers, bathroom crashers, Sell This House and all these shows. I just need them to come in and crash my basement. OMG can you imagine. Just rip the ugly thing out and start all over. Mine would be the show where they stop working all the time to solve another problem. Actually one of the renovation ladies does do homes in Michigan. She works with older homes in Detroit. Maybe I should write the show. She did a basement on a house once really well. The house cost her 1.00. About what mine is worth. Haha!!!

Got some good news yesterday. Whole Foods is finally coming to East Lansing...5 miles from me. They will start building in September so I am jazzed. I still will sell this house and get an apt till I figure where I am moving but finally organics in my favorite store. No more finding the organic corner in the big stores. Best of all no more driving 70 miles with a cooler to get their food. When I lived in Cali I got spoiled with all the variety of organic foods. It has been a struggle here. Life is better.  

So I am headed outside to my patio for my 30 minutes of sun.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2013

Sew, I think it's so cold for doctors to wait over the weekend to give results.  Pins and needles time for sil, I'm sure. 

Bunkie, oddly enough my favorite Whole Foods item is their 365 body wash!  Have you tried it? And their pizza dough. 

Thanks all for the kind words everyone. Cindy, I am going to try to channel your dancing energy this morning.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2013

Sab - No have not tried it. I would love to find something besides cetiphil soap. Is it good? I have done the pizza dough and love it. Also am addicted to the 365 honey mustard. I buy a ton when I go there. At least now I will have it here. What I have not tried is their gluten free tortillas. Anyone tried those?

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Bunkie, It's a big bottle that sometimes goes on sale in the $5-6 range...it has no parabans, artificial fragrance, sodium laureth sulfate or animal ingredients.  I buy the fragrance free, since I heard that lavendar is estrogenic.

Love honey mustard.  Will check it out.

11:41 and still in my pajamas.  I need to get up and shake off my bad week and get moving.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2013

Sew I will say some prayers for your SIL.I'm so sorry.That's the toughest part waiting.

Cindy hope you have fun dancing!!

Bunkie, I'll bet that cat was banned from the house for a while.At least it wasn't yours.That really stinks that you couldn't sleep.Lol sorry no pun intended!!We get 1 item from Whole Foods and that is Melatonin for my son.It's called nutra spray.It's the only sublingual spray melatonin that I know of and unfortunately he can't sleep w/o it.We of course get other items while there but go specifically for the spray.We'll have to try the pizza dough though.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2013

Sew, thinking positive thoughts for your sister-in law. Praying that all will be well

• MostlySew
    edited August 2013

Thanks Kate, she's tough but this is so soon after my brothers death for her to be worrying about this too. Glad you're doing so well with your chemo and that the 6 hour session is already done for this month. You up to doing something fun tomorrow? Donuts?

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Thanks Sew. Tomorrow I am going to get my fill and pedi, so a girlie day.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2013

Kate a girlie day sounds so nice.  My sisters, my brother in law and I spent the day with my dad.  After selling his house and moving to a southern suburn of Minneapolis, he decided yesterday that he was going to move back to the town he just moved from.  He misses his sports teams and his (very few) friends.  Poor guy.  We spent the entire day with him, getting his shopping done for the week, having dinner in the restaurant in his building (to get him familiar with it) and making plans for small road trips etc.  He said we made his day and he has decided to stay.  It has to be difficult losing Mom 8 months ago, and then leaving his home and friends behind.  The place he is living now has people his age, but they seem so much older.  Hopefully we will find him a few nice friends to chat with and go places with.  He is so introverted, it is a process.

SEW keeping your SIL in my prayers.  I am so sorry she has had to wait and wonder all weekend.  It just isn't fair.  If those people on the other end of the phone only knew how much angst that waiting causes.  She doesn't deserve it either, after all she has been through lately.

Cindy, your dancing sounds like so much fun.  I think I will try a little tomorrow while I am cleaning and doing laundry.  I decided this week to re-hire the maid service we used to have.  I get really tired of getting the house cleaned for the house cleaners to come, but they really do the deep down cleaning that I need done, and I just don't have the time to keep it up.  My DH is a neatnik, and no matter what I do, it never meets with his approval, so the heck with it.  Let him pay to have it done.  I have had way too much to keep up with anyway.

SAB,  hope you were able to get moving today and forget your troubles.

Bunkie, to bed early for you.  Make up for last night.  

Same for me.   Beddie-bye time.  Tomorrow I dance, and clean and wash and fold.  It will be a good day.  Night all.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2013

Gigil, yes,yes, yes, hire that cleaning service. You've got too much on your hands with the grand kids and, well, just plain life, to worry about satisfying a neatnick, especially if you can afford the service. Call them Monday and forget the cleaning tomorrow would be my vote!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2013

Kate, I just read about the awful thing that happened on the Venice Beach boardwalk (guy hitting people with his car)--you weren't there Saturday night were you?  What a world.

We were away and offline for a couple of days, but I did see Chefstef's message last night when we got back and sent her a PM.  Hope it's helpful.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2013

Chef, I also sent you a PM. 

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Runfree I was home last night and not at Venice beach, Thank God. Sometimes my friend and I go there for happy hour. My friend also goes there to run occassionally. Thank God she wasn't there either. Thanks for asking

• RunFree16
    edited August 2013

Thank goodness you were home, Kate!  I was horrified reading about that crime--because it seems it was a deliberate crime, unlike the awful farmer's market situation from a number of years ago.  Going to the beach on a Saturday night should not be scary.

Brookside, I figured you wrote to Chefstef!  I told her you'd know than I do.

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Gigi, you are such a sweetheart to help Dad with transition.  Have you thought about using an internet service like "meet-up" to find local clubs/orgs for him to join? It has worked for friends of mine who are trying to find others who share their interests.

Sew, holding SIL in my thoughts tomorrow.  I hope for good news.

Kate, I thought of you this morning when the news scrolled on my tv...can you believe that they haven't yet fully covered it?!  Anyway, they said "Promenade" on the feed, and I didn't even know it was Venice, I thought it was Santa Monica.  What kind of person turns his car into a weapon against innocent people?  Glad you and your friend are safe.

Our well went out again, but new pump should be in by Monday.  We took another delivery of water for our tanks, so the disruption is minimal (but expensive.)

I am having a weekend of exercise to try to get my mind focused forward again. 

• gigil
    edited August 2013

My son used to live near Venice Beach, and they would be there often.  That is just creepy!!  Kate, glad you were safe at home.  Your friend too.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2013

I am way too far behind in reading to reply to everyone.  I care deeply and do like keeping up with all of you.  I have had a lot on my mind lately.  My elderly dad is getting married to his live in girlfriend.  She is a MAJOR golddigger and he is so gullible.  Sad.  She is just a year or two older than I am.  My dad has quite a bit of money invested and his home and new car are paid for.  Lola began e-mailing my sister and I about his poor health and makes him sound completely infirm.  Not true!  We are frustrated and can't help him.  He lives in MN, my sister is in Colorado and I am here.  I call him frequently but we can never talk privately, she listens in to all his calls.  My dad hates being alone, absolutely cannot stand it.  He has made very poor choices since his second wife died a few years ago.  His next wife was a prescription drug addict and totally psycho.  They were married less than a year, and we found out much later that he left her $50,000, payable upon his death.  Well, she tried to hurry that up.  She told us he had a stroke and turns out he didn't.  Of course at his age the hospital did not run a tox screen, no need  to.  He had a CT scan and an MRIand neither showed any evidence of a stroke.  He remained feriends with her, and the day of his 'stroke' she came over to fix him breakfast.  My dad drinks a glass of V-8 juice every day.  His last memory was telling Donna the juice tasted funny, but she insisted it was fresh and he drank it.  She left right after she gave him the juice.  She claims that later she was just coming to check on him and found him unconscious on the kitchen floor.  She called 911 and was the hero!  It was awful.  Later he confessed that he had an entire bottle of Xanax disappear, and it was only then he told us about the 50K.  OMG ladies.......now this.  Lola is mean to him, corrects him all the time.  My sister and niece went to visit them last fall and she had to leave early.  Lola was not just terrible and mean to them, but verbally abusive to Dad.  Susan tried to talk to him privately, they went into his bedroom and Sue was explaining they didn't feel welcome there, etc.  He told her that Lola was 'moody'.  Right about then Lola burst into the room screaming that she heard every word they said about her and it was all lies.......blah blah.  Lola started mailing us about how hard he is to take care of now, how feeble he is, all lies.  He has some memory loss but is always fine, coherent and happy when we talk.  Sue and I both think Lola threatened to leave him, and at his age (82) that would scare him.  He has a bad knee and she does keep the house clean and cooks, etc.  Such a long story.  We got all these mails from her about his declining health and how hard she works to care for him.  She kept telling us she was NOT in his will...we never asked!  She created both a FB account and an e-mail address in his name.  He never uses the computer and was not even aware these accounts existed.  Monday my sister and I got an e-mail from 'Dad'.  She is not good at pretending to be him.  'Dad' told us that they had gone to the lawyer and changed his will.  Lola was so wonderful and has his best interest at heart, and she is so good to him, and he trusts her completely.  So now she is the executor of his will, he gave her Power of Attorney as well.  He also left her the house and all the contents as well as his car.  He concluded with more syrupy crap about how great she is.  Of course Sue called me later and we both knew she wrote it.  Neither of us were surprised that he gave her the house.  The next day though we got an e-mail from Lola, and she announced they are getting married.  Gag me!  More syrup about how they have so much in common (?) and they love each other deeply, etc.  Sue and I talked about that of course.  Both of us just have this feeling of impending doom.  All these mails about his poor health, he supposedly accidently took way too much Xanax....she sure is setting the stage.  Our hands are tied.  My dad will defend Lola and will not listen to us.  Again we are positive she threatened to walk out and he agreed to marry her.  I have been so upset about this all week.  I really fear for his safety now.  Oh, and get this.  Who is Lola's best friend now?  Donna, his former wife who already tried to speed up his demise.  This is not good, but we cannot prove anything of course.  I really worry what will happen once the ink is dry on that marriage certificate.

Thanks for letting me vent my friends!  It sure has been a worry.

Gigil, I am really sorry for all the family health problems.  I am glad little Cole is gradually improving.  I know all about Dad problems!  Your poor dad has been through so much.  He is so lucky to have you nearby.  Big hugs Sweetie! 

Sew, I can't believe your poor SIL now has to deal with this terrible scare.  She is so vulnerable right now and certainly does not need this added burden.  She has you, and I know how deeply you care and are there to hold her hand, no matter what happens.  Sneding lots of love to you both.

Kate, you are a Warrior and I am really happy that you felt good after this last 6 hour chemo.  Getting out tomorrow for a girly day will be fun, and you sure deserve some of that.  I hope you have a great time and a happy week ahead.

Josie, that whole job situation is such a mess.  I am sorry that you have to deal with all this stress.  Please know that you are a strong, brave woman and you will figure out the best way to get though this.  :)

Sab, what a week you had!  Those job interviews are so difficult.  Then the water issues, ouch!  Things just have to get better.  Sending you a gentle hug.

Bunkie, I know you have had a rough summer and hopefully things will improve.  You have had so many challenges, but remain strong and determined.  You know I think of you often and wish nothing but joy for you.  It is out there and you will make it work. 

Brookside and Cindy and everyone else I have forgotten.  I never forget any of you!  I know I forget to address everyone individually, but you are always close to my heart.

Love and hugs my friends!  Wishing everyone a week ahead with laughter and joy.

• gigil
    edited August 2013

Janis, gosh you really do have a right to be worried.  Any chance of having your dad declared imcompetent?  Have you talked to a lawyer about that, or you might even have his situation investigated, because he seems to be a vulnerable adult at this point.  What do you have to lose?  It sounds like Lola has aced you all out of the will.  It might be for his protection.  It sounds like one of those television mysteries in the making.  I don't like the sounds of it.  

• SAB
    edited August 2013

Oh good heavens Janis!!!  That is a terrible situation, and a daughter's worst nightmare.  I agree with Gigi, it's time to involve an attorney and please jot down dates/letters/false accounts/etc.  This Lola sounds horrid, horrid!

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Janis, how awfully creepy! You must be terrified.

Janis, the Adult Protective Agency in your father's state investigates abuse (financial, physical, neglect, and whatever) of vulnerable adults.  They can send an investigator to chat with your dad, and assess the situation.  The investigator will be mandated to speak with him alone, and to report any abuse s/he might suspect.  A warning--lots of elders abused in various ways deny everything, as they are more afraid of losing their caretakers than being taken advantage of.  On the other hand, your sister's having witnessed the verbal abuse is a plus, as are the girlfriend's emails, which can work against her--if he is that feeble, he needs protection, no? If the investigation finds nothing, at least you have a documented concern that might keep the babe at bay for a while.  You could also chat with an attorney who specializes in elder care. 

In addition, there should be an area Council on Aging (or something similar) which could send a social worker over for a visit.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2013

Janis, Good Lord, what a mess!  I agree with Brookside.  Call in Adult Protective Services.  You may need to make several phone calls to get them to respond, but this is what they're there for.  Describe all this to them.  You might also look in to some home care people for him, and give him a price to have someone come in daily for a few hours to help.  It might make him feel better.  Let Lola listen in, record the phone call....she won't like that in the least, but it will be on record.  good Luck, sweetie, this is the last thing you need to worry about from afar. 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2013

Janis, that's terrible .Brookside is right there has to be a way to protect him.

It sounds like a lifetime movie I guess people are really that evil in real life ..

I will pray for you that you can help him out of that situation .

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

You could also try Meals on Wheels.  If Lola is having such a hard time caring for him, MOW and the home help person can be couched as help for her.  Probably your dad would love another person to chat with.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2013

Oh, and also, if you know who his doctor is,or at least where the practice is located, perhaps you could contact them.  They cannot discuss his case with you, of course without his OK, but they can sure listen! Or read a note.

• RunFree16
    edited August 2013

Janis, I agree, this situation is maddening and awful.  I've seen it with others and it's hard to do anything, but you and your sister should each have a copy of this will anyway--Lola should agree to that, in case anything happens to both of them at once, you can say--and that will give you the lawyer's name.  Then you (or your sister) can call the lawyer and tell him/her your concerns about the validity of the will and the marriage, given your father's gullibility.  Like the doctor relationship, the attorney-client relationship is confidential, but they can listen.  Meanwhile you might need a lawyer on the scene. In addition to all the other great advice people have given you here, you might see if there's a legal aid office in his area that could give you some free advice to get you started.  It's hard to pin the situation with Donna onto Lola, legally speaking, but it does show why you're concerned about your father's ability to make sound decisions and how easy it would be for someone else to take advantage of him.  I don't suppose there's any way he could live with you or your sister....???  I know, huge. 

Sew, I am also thinking about your SIL.  It's just too much.  I am so hoping it turns out OK.  The odds are still in her favor with the biopsy, no?  But just having to go through it, and the waiting--wow.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2013

Run free, Janis, Sab and everyone ... Thanks for the thoughts about my SIL. This has felt like the longest weekend in history I tell you. She's seemingly taking the wait fine, she's keeping busy. I gather the radiologist called her late Friday night to let her know the results weren't in yet, and they discussed the possibility of cancer and etc. the doc assured her that her recovery from surgery would go well ( SIL reads easy). The doc is on vacation next week, but is taking her computer and will let my SIL know as soon as she gets the results. The call made my SIL feel better. Meanwhile.....we wait. I hate waiting!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013

Hi,
    Janis, this situation, as you must know, is not uncommon. If your dad is of sound mind, and it sounds like he can make his own decisions, there isn't much anyone will do.  It is too bad he trusts this person more than his family.  But who knows what she told him about family?  I have seen 2 friends go through this with their mothers and the deceptive crooked caretakers got the houses...shocking. I just hope he is safe.  Sorry for you...
    SAB, what is up with the job process?  Early rounds should not demand presentations....I know you can do it, but what will the final round be like???  Good luck with finding the right job...if this is "it" you will know.
    Sew, I am just so sorry to hear about your SIL going through the worry of the biopsy.  Hoping for the best. 
    Kate, are you getting your mini chemo Monday?   I am glad you did OK this past week.  You're amazing....

Bunkie, would love
    to see your house get a free make over!  You surely have a story to tell...why don't you contact a show?

My DD#3 from NJ spent the week end here with my little grandaughters.  We had a great time...perfect beach day today.  I was so upset when they left...I will see them again, but not here....we always had Labor Day at the beach here in town....and I knew summer was over....but this year it seems summer ended too soon. 
    I had so much fun with the girls - I ordered 5 different types of pop-beads from Amazon and it kept them busy all week end.  You can never have too many pop beads. 
    I will help them move Labor Day and then go to stay with them on a long week end.  I felt so depressed tonight....but I just have to work it through.  I feel like I love them too much...but then I wouldn't have it any other way.

I tried to change my avatar and cannot get the new one up.

Here's to a good week for everyone.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2013

Janis I am sorry about the situation with your father. Joan, I am glad you had so much fun with your granddaughters. I know how depressing it must be when they leave. Sab, unbelievable what they put you through on a job interview, but you are so bright and you will prevail.

Today is my 11th chemo treatment. I am pretty sure I will agree to 18 treatments, so only 7 more left after today. My appointment with my MO is Friday afternoon. That is when I absolutely have to agree to 12 treatments or 18. He wants me to do 18, so I am probably stuck with that. He finally emailed me the name of the urologist to get a second opinion, so I will call today. As mentioned my urologist wants me to do a partial bladder removal surgery, and I want a second opinion. I want to find out what the odds are of the tumor growing back. If there is a serious chance it will grow back then maybe I should do a total bladder removal surgery, with a neo bladder. Both surgeries are serious surgeries with at least a week hospital stay, but there is much more after care with a neo bladder. It sounds very difficult, so I am hoping the partial bladder surgery will be best.