Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2013

Josie, I think it's quite wise to keep your distance from that gal. Not telling if anything was even said, and I expect it wasn't. Just do your job, smile, be polite, gaze out your new window for a minute when it gets to be too much and go thankfully back home to your family at night. The window is the best part of your move, I figure...

As far as the treatment for Barrett's, I gather they try to get the GERD under control ( Prilosec etc. which has long term osteoporosis implications), yearly or more often endoscopy exams (I don't mind those it turns out) and then some various other endoscopic imagery and ultra sound. That's just to keep track of the progression. However, having never met with this GI guy! I don't know what tac he's going to take. All in good time, I guess....

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2013

Thanks for understanding Sew.Also thanks for explaining your Barretts.Hopefully all will be ok.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2013

Josie, you are very wise to figure that co-worker might be trying to sabotage you. She has motive to do so. Just put all of the positive energy into your job and your new office. Enjoy the window. Positive begets positive. How is a bone density test done? I will probably be getting one soon.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2013

Well, Gigi, it seems to be the season--I had my endoscopy on Monday.  This was my three-year followup of my Barrett's dx, and my esophagus is "unchanged."  He took two biopsies, which were "fine," and he thinks I don't need another procedure for five years.  Having read your post about prognosis, I'm wondering if maybe I should push for something sooner.  Also, it's a bit alarming, Sew,  that the meds might be part of my slow but sure progression toward osteoporosis.  And, of course, I'm now on arimidex, so I guess I'll be looking into that drug combo.

• josie123
    edited October 2013

Gigil , a bone density is kind of like an XRay.Except not as much radiation.It has a table that's padded that you lay onto and the scanner arm moves over you.It's really a simple test.We only scan the spine and the hips.Some places do the wrist also.We only scan the wrist if you have metal in your hips or spine.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2013

Hi y'all

Trying to play catch up, but fear the next few weeks I'll be more a lurker sending positive loving thoughts to all! Last year we downsized by 50% and hubby was in shock...I thought it was a good thing :) his idea! so now we are doing a 25% step up ha ha! Only PT said no lifting for me...there's a reason I never really unpacked...so easing into packing, donating, and playing. Surprise is hubby is so happy about this move...just a few blocks away...another nature area on a creek and good friends on the other side. Sadly my aunt is moving to penthouse in Daytona Beach...we play together so sad...but know they will be back in 2 yrs...she's not the big high rise type! Living in a corset for trunk LE is the hot pits, but helping. Hubby is hit or miss on his compliance, but now he gets angry with himself when his read gets up there...wife is silent. I've got 3 weeks to get out get in...ugh :D

Bunkie - sorry that the Dr was so disappointing and just did not get it! Hang in there you are doing good!

Kate - congrats on the fall beauty queen:) hair hair...a colleague said his woman just took hers with her so always a good hair day! Enjoy the beach friends sunshine :)

Josie - ugh! How intrusive:( I feel violated and I don't even work there. Schedule another appointment to vent and work thru issues...how's the resume...get it out there GF!

RunFree - I Luv NY:) enjoy your weekend get away...whether gf or not! Sending non itchy thoughts & romance your way :)

Sew - wow, so busy but you are the rock! Here's to better health...cheers!

Joan - our kids our precious babies...you're like Mother Earth mom...so nurturing...a soothing weekend to you. We moved to TX because my sweet only child would ask my input on things...like decorate his house prior to wedding...ha ha! I'm not crazy...told him that was their nest and they should do it together...if she wanted my help painting, wallpapering, gardening pick up the phone.,.but I wouldn't want my MIL that involved in my life so the distance....hard but FaceTime is good :) I would live next door but that would not be good.

GiGil - a wonderful fall weekend to creat lasting memories:)

Brookside - oh how our test schedules start getting closer ha! And the conflict of our HT with our bone health...exercise and pound those bones...my dr had every test in the world done at 45 so he could track life changes...it does change...working on getting stronger! living fierce!

SAB - fall weekend for a hike with DH! How's the job, your dds, and the car!

Shout out to all! Today's quest...the 9 Xmas boxes...weed out if possible...think there's a stash of preschool treasures and old lights...how long do you keep popcorn wreaths with popcorn missing...ahh the memories are priceless :)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    edited October 2013

Brookside, I'm so glad to hear your Barretts is the holding steady. That's good news. Actually, from what I read, they do the endoscopies frequently to begin with, and then go to 3 or 5 year follow ups, so I'd think yours must be "stable". I gather the idea is to get whatever caused it (usually GERD) under control so no more damage is being done and then it usually just stays the same. There apparently isn't a cure for it. So, I think it sounds like you're doing great. I expect to be at that point ..... soon, I hope if they'd only get on with the intital testing. What kind of tests did you have to start with, may I ask?

Cindy.....lucky thing you kept half the house packed. Be sure not to lift anything though, as you're getting your LE under control, and that's a good thing. Don't want a flare up! Glad hubby is following strict orders, and more glad that they're not YOUR orders.......way to go.....

Gigil, for bone density, think x-ray lying on comfortable table chatting with a great tech like Josie and done all too soon. Only hard part is finding pants that don't have zippers, but I just wear my regular slacks and then just unzip them, seems to work.

• rmlulu
    edited October 2013

Sew - thanks! Baby steps...

GiGil - yoga pants ... No muffin top ha! Done density is easy lay down and visit...ya think of Josie...no dust ha!

We need weekend cakeballs :)

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

OK, Sew, here's the story:  Three years ago, going through a brutal divorce, I developed a number of stress related symptoms (maybe even the beginnings of breast cancer).  It seemed I'd developed asthma, but inhalers had no effect.  Apparently, when asthma doesn't respond to asthma meds, it's just about always reflux, which does something to irritate the lungs while you sleep. So I had the endoscopy (and colonoscopy, which just happened to be due).  I had just the one scope, then tried a bunch of meds (prilosec and something else gave me an itchy rash), and the asthma symptoms went away.  This was the scheduled three-year scope, now he says five.  I do need to speak with him about meds, though, as I'm still having some reflux, and five years sounds kind of far away.

• MostlySew
    edited October 2013

Brookside....yep, talk with him about meds as we're not supposed to have the reflux, as that can cause the damange. I'm with you on the prilosec, it gives me nausea and is just plan ugly. I was diagnosed when I complained to my PCP about a funny little cough and not being able to breath occasionally (like asthma). The famotodine (pepcid) cured that. Who'd have though that reflux could cause breathing problems.....go figure. I'd guess that neither of us have any dysplasia, which is the true precursor to an actual cancer, but it is worth your questioning the doc again. And yep, those divorces can take a real toll on our bodies and psychies.......glad you're thru it now though and on to a happier time.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

Nope, no dysplasia, at least not in the samples he sent in to pathology.  I'm wondering what test you have coming up, as I never had anything else. 

• MostlySew
    edited October 2013

Brookside, they're doing a ph test....seems to involve some sort of sensor at end of catheter inserted thru the nose and worn for 24 hours ( which sounds absolutely barbaric to me!). It transmits data to some sort of receiver. He wants the data so he can tell how to treat this? At least that's what I understand. I actually don't know if I've got any dysplasia since I didn't know anything about this so never asked. I think the test is a bit unusual as I'm coming to understand, so again, I don't know why he needs it. We sure will have an interesting meeting when I actually get to sit down with him.... I should be able to finally get this test scheduled on Monday, if I can successfully reach the one and only person in the area who does them.....strange huh?

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

Based on my experience, and only my own experience, I'm guessing you have no dysplasia.  If your GI guy thought you might have more than metaplasia, he would have taken biopsies.  Reading your post, it does not seem as though he did (my doc did not biopsy anything the first time, so I'm guessing that is the norm, absent significant inflammation).  Your upcoming test sounds interesting (yes, definitely unappealing, but interesting as well).  Is it maybe to monitor your hour-by-hour and food-by-food production of stomach acid?  If so, that could give you some really neat info re managing this thing with minimal meds.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2013

Please forgive me for not responding to previous posts. I just had an 8 oz glass of chardonnay, and I am looped. Feels so good yeah! I do remember Bunkie saying she wishes she were in LA, and I wish she was here too.

Even without the wine I have been feeling phyically and mentally great the last couple of days, and I am so grateful.

Monday I have an appointment with my urologist to find out why he wants to do partial bladder removal, when my 2nd opinion urologist says not to have it. Friday I have an appointment with my radiologist. I do not want to do radiation of my pelvic area, but my MO wants me to see him for a consultation anyway. He said I don't have to do radiation right now, and that he justs wants me to have things set up in case I do need it. God I dread going back to the radiologist. I like him, but I despised being there. It depressed me so much to see so many very ill folks in the waiting room. Now here I am having to go back two years later. Oh well I pray that my MO won't recommend it. I am guessing that I will have to be disrobed from the waist down. I am modest, and it's ok for a doctor, but I would depise flunky technicians moving me around to set up the radiation while I was disrobed. I would much rather have painful surgery than radiation for bladder cancer. I never say never, but if recommended I would seriously want to refuse radiation. I hope just going to radiology Friday to talk to my radiologist won't depress me. I have been feeling so good physically and mentally that I don't need to be upset with this, but I am stuck with it.

• MostlySew
    edited October 2013

Brookside, actually he did do 2 biopsies during the endoscopy....tested for h pylori with one of them. I think he was surprised at the result. They did find a small hiatal hernia too, but that's common with this. But I agree with you, I think if I had any dysplasia, they would be doing some of the ultra sound and or other tests...at least, that's what I think. And yes, the test is an hour by hour thing, and I not only keep a journal of what I'm doing/eating, but also press a button whenever I feel symptoms. Should be quite interesting.....and not as invasive as it sounds, I hope.

Kate..looped is good....once in awhile .... And keeping an open mind is good too, which I see you're doing. I never thought I'd ever feel comfortable wandering around topless for untold doc and tech, but it sure became used to it. Oh, and I'd think you'll get a modesty towel.......just in case you end up with more rads....

• katehudson25
    edited October 2013

Sew besides being concerned about being undressed, the possible side effects for pelvic radiation are more concerning. They have to do with nausea, bowel problems, urination problems etc, not to mention fatigue. I did not have fatigue from breast radiation, but I sure did from chemo. I don't want to go through being fatiaued again. The 2nd opinion urologist who recommended radiation, said I can either do a transurethral resection surgery or radiation. That makes no sense to me. I am going to ask my regular urologist about it Monday. If I have the option of surgery or radiation I will take surgery. Chemo was upsetting, and I don't want to be upset with radiation.

• MostlySew
    edited October 2013

Kate, I understand your concerns. You'll just have to make the best decision for you.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2013

Sew, thinking of you and your family....and now you have these new concerns...it doesn't seem to end does it? I wasn't familiar with the dx, although I had an endoscopy last summer (I awoke with a swelling lip and a huge bruise on my arm)...but I learned a lot from you and Brookside. I did not know that reflux could cause this condition.

I hope you can find some time for yourself through all this. I know it isn't easy...

Josie, I am shocked at how you've been treated. I wonder if they think your BC and treatment has rendered you less effective on your job. And that's ridiculous. I also do not know any doctor office where there are not people who come to clean. My office is filled with "stuff" and I have been little by little throwing away a ton of stuff. My colleague at first was asking our assistant to clean up my area...I was offended...they quickly got over it.But I deal with rocks and fossils all day; not live people. If they want you to keep after everything, they should give you more hours. Hang in there.

Well I finally heard from DD in MA and they will be in CT tomorrow for our family BD ... and I will get to see my grandaughters for a few hours. I am very excited about that....you all know i've been missing them!

Gotta try to get some sleep....

nite all

PS - Runfree, I hope you are enjoying NY. You are so close :-D

actually I am 2 hours from the city. The weather isn't great but it isn't too cold out. And I saw that full-ish moon tonight too. Have a good time.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2013

Joan, are you still having trouble sleeping? Hope not. I'm happy you get to see your daughter. I spoke to mine for just a few minutes on the phone yesterday and felt so much better for it.

Hey Sew, sorry I have been silent during your procedures. I have been a silent pocket partner though, and sending good calm thoughts your way for all you've been through. You are one strong lady, as are so many of the inspiring women on this thread. The new test sounds very comprehensive.

Josie, I just hate reading that you have been so disrespected. I know that looking for a new job is tough, but it would at least give you options. I hope that this move into a new space is a new start for you there though, and that things get better.

Bunkie, it is awful when our doctors...the people we pay...are interpersonally incompetent. I'm glad you're not taking it!

Brookside, it is amazing how many conditions are related to stress. But a mind-body connection means we may have the power to control our bodies too?

Kate, I know you will listen carefully, do your research and make the right choice for yourself. Leave your options open until you have all the facts. I know you have some good doctors that you trust on board, and that helps. I hope you are enjoying these beautiful Santa Monica fall days.

Work has been so extremely busy. I'm fried. And sick with a bad cold. I just put my Costco stuff away, and have laced up my shoes for a nice, long, gentle walk on a beautiful clear day in the redwoods. Then to bed early with a cup of tea. Hugs ladies!

• katehudson25
    edited October 2013

Sab good to hear from you, but sorry that you have a cold

• josie123
    edited October 2013

Cindy,Joan,SAB,Sew, and anyone I might have missed thanks for your support.

I do feel violated especially since on Thursday when I came in on my day off they had already moved my stuff and my office was empty.They stacked all my drawers from my desk in the corner of about her room.I was asked by a coworker to go through it and throw away any I'll unnecessary paperwork.Also My boss came in later and said to me in not so many words did you get to go through your things to make sure we didn't have any papers that didn't need to be in there.She didn't really want me to 're hang my Bullitan board.Her comment was unless you need the stuff I really want it to be as uncluttered as possible.Apparently the person who originally hung it didn't get her permission.Also she was whispering about me to my coworker .I know this because as I came into the room she stopped.Rude!!!!.I had my kids pics on that Bulliton board.

SAB please feel better soon.

Goodnight everybody.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2013

I slept really late this morning even though I had to drive to CT. We drove around...lots of traffic (leaf peepers). But I use my phone and dodge the tie-ups and it's kind of fun...DH was driving so I directed him.

I got to see my grandaughters today...it was wonderful. Caroline (2) smiled and came right to me and we hugged a long time...then she sat on my lap because I was sitting by the goldfish and pretzel bowl :-D

I was really late and DD let me know they'd be leaving right after the party...which was fine.

They came last night to my DD#2 in CT and slept over - I had no idea or I probably would have gone much earlier. DD#3 says she told me...she always says that! Anyway, it was all good.

Riley (8) had a great birthday party...a lady came with small animals and the kids held and pet them...bunny, hedgehog, chinchilla, a boa, and even giant cockroaches. I brought Riley and Jacob (10) their Halloween costumes I got for them. Everything fit perfectly and worked well...they are thrilled. I made up big boxes of fun Halloween decorations and little silly toys (spider rings and glow bracelets & bugs etc.) Riley loved her birthday gifts - I got her the Password Keepsake Box and it is plastic and overpriced, but very cute and the "next big thing" for medium-aged girls.

Weather was perfect and my heart is full...I needed this so badly. I will see the MA GDs again in a few weeks.

No ferry today...we had to drive around through New York to get home, then 80 miles back out on Long Island. Traffic was bad for awhile, but it was worth it. We had packed sandwiches for the ride home so we did not have to stop or cook.

Kate, I hope you are still enjoying your time of feeling well. It is precious and we often take it for granted...but after all you've been through, I know you treasure these days. I am so glad you have positive supportive people around you...it makes a difference.

SAB, was good to see you here...yup, still having sleeping issues. Am up late again tonight...and have a 12 hour day tomorrow. Midterm grades are due...and I am way behind.

Wishing everyone a good week to come.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2013

Checking in this evening. SAB good to hear from you. Good for you taking a walk when you have a cold. Take care of yourself and sip that nice hot tea. Joan you are such a fun grandma. I am going to see two of my grandkids this week for DD's birthday. I have a few fun things for them also. We took our two grandsons to the Mall of America on Saturday. The four year old was very quick and wandered away from us a lot. I was petrified we would lose him. He is a shorty (taking growth hormone - seriously premature) so he is only as tall as my DH's knees. We had fun with them all day while we freed my DS and DIL to have a lunch together and clean their garage. Today I cooked dinner for my dad, DH and my two sisters. We have been doing family dinners on Sunday for my dad's sake. I cook whatever he requests. He has done such a wonderful job of getting us three sisters cooperating with each other and enjoying each other's company. My dad is quite a guy, working toward his own passage and teaching us every step of the way. I have gained such respect for his subtle wisdom. I am going to miss him so much. He is ever so steadily preparing us. What a guy!

Josie, do you use contrast? I just hate having to have IV contrast. If it is none of that, I will be much calmer about the idea. I have been having tailbone pain, which I think is linked to prolapsed pelvic organs. I know I will need to have it checked out, however.

Brookside and so many of us are having naggy issue. Endoscopy is getting to be a common thread here, as well as hiatal hernia, acid reflux and all of the rest. I have had so much trouble with that, but probiotics have helped me immensely with that and anxiety. As your stomach goes, so goes your brain. I am becoming so aware of that.

Kate, I hope you have a great week. You make me think maybe a fall would be a good thing to own. I haven't had one since the 70's. Why not?? It would be fun. Hope you zero in on what you need to do next to preserve your feeling good and enjoyment of life.

Have a wonderful week everyone.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

Good luck with your appointments this week, Kate.  The good news is you already know both your urologist and radiologist and have good relationships with both.  Maybe you're like me--I always feel better going back to someone I already know.  No matter how long it's been since I've seen them, it feels as though we're just picking up where we left off.

It's also wonderful that you don't have to commit to anything right now.  All you need to do is gather all the information you can squeeze out of them and let it run around in your head with all the other medical stuff that's jammed in there, and just chill until some solutions and decisions work their way to the top.

SAB, I sure hope your real busy season is coming to an end, and you can just sort of cruise until next summer/fall. 

Josie, it just sounds as though it's getting worse and worse.  I haven't met any of them, of course, but  I'm nevertheless feeling a kind of intense dislike for all your coworkers and managers.  

• katehudson25
    edited October 2013

I just came home from my urology appointment. Even though my MO and 2nd opinion urologist thinks I shoud not have partial bladder removal, and removal of lymph nodes, my urologist thinks I should have it.My MO recommended both urologists. My urologist thinks I should have it done robotically. He doesn't even do it. I would either have to go to Cedars or USC to have it done. He is calling my MO today to tell him why he thinks I should have the surgery.I sent my MO an email asking hime to email me after he talks to my urologist. I also asked him that even if he does not want me to have the surgery can I still go to a urologist cancer surgeon that does this robotic surgery, to get a 3rd opinion from a urologist.

Gigil a fall is fun. Even if you are not having hair thinning problems it is good to wear on a bad hair day. In the late 60's I had my hair cut short( the only time in my life I had short hair), and I hated it so I bought a fall to wear

• rmlulu
    edited October 2013

Hi Kate

So glad you met with your urologist today. USC Dr Desai does the robotic surgery...hubby's! Highly recommend:)

Shout out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited October 2013

Hi, I'm back from the Big Apple! I had a wonderful time. I'd never navigated NYC by myself and I hadn't been there in nearly 20 years, so it was a voyage of discovery. I'd always been skeptical when people said that New York was easy to get around in, but now I agree, except for the weekend track diversions. It was wonderful to see so many friends and classmates. I went to five events and only two of them cost money, and I stayed with a friend, so it was quite a frugal weekend especially for NYC. I'm really glad I went. My skin did not itch quite as much on the bus! It felt as though the mild vibration gave my skin the stimulation it needed, or something. But in general it is much worse--the itching is more extensive and more intense, and the rash includes light pink spots and invisible subcutaneous bumps in addition to raised pink areas and some red spots. I emailed my dermatologist, which is not really invited but I did find a main email address, and he called in another Bactrim prescription, since it was when I was on Bactrim and Triamcinilone cream together that my skin was at its best. Such a saga.

I've been reading for the past couple of days since I got back, without the brain power to post anything. Kate, so frustrating that your doctors disagree, but I'm glad your uro1 is going to contact your MO and talk it out.

Josie, once again Brookside put it so well--your coworkers are on my blacklist! It sounds like a very stressful situation. I learned once in a psychology class that the highest stress comes in situations where you have the combination of lots of responsibility and not a lot of power. This seems to be one of those cases! I hope you are touching up your resume and scanning the horizon for options, or will soon. Starting a new job could hardly be any tougher than continuing at this one, seems to me.

• katehudson25
    edited October 2013

Runfree so glad you had a good time in NYC. So jealous, would love to go back.

As far as I know my urologist and MO have not spoken yet. I think my MO will email after he talks to my urologist. I know my MO is pretty much against partial bladder removal surgery, so my urologist would have to be very convincing for hime to change my MO's mind. If my MO doesn't agree to the surgery I will go to either Cedars or USC to get a third urology opinion. I am feeling good. The time to do treatment is when you are feeling good, so I am hoping these 2 docs can get together ASAP

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

Josie, I sent you a PM containing a definition of harassment in the workplace, which, as you know, is illegal.  Most companies (mine, for instance, and both of the nonprofits whose boards I serve on) are required to have presentations on harassment/bullying because of the unfortunate effect of lawsuits on a business and its owners.  I'm pretty far away to be making such assessments, but maybe you need to start documenting the behaviors of your managers and your coworkers and borrow Kate's princess warrior coat for a heart-to-heart with your manager and/or managing partner.  Chances are pretty durned good that their behavior will change immediately.

RunFree, glad you loved the trip, not so glad about the itchies.

Kate, it's good that you've narrowed the options to an "Aye" or "Nay" on one particular surgery.  To my mind, however, it is not the job of the urologist to convince your MO of anything, but simply to communicate his findings, both to you and your MO (primarily to you, of course, as you are the one who has to make the decision).  If I understand you correctly, this urologist will not be the one to do the procedure, as he does not do the robotic thing, so it is really the guy behind curtain #3 who needs to determine if he is comfortable operating on you.  Onward and upward!  You're gathering all the right info, and getting to where you have the understanding of all the pros, and all the cons, so that you can decide.  Radiologist also should shed some light on the surgical procedure, albeit in perhaps a rather sideways fashion.

• josie123
    edited October 2013

Brookside, thanks for the concern.I will do that.It really makes me angry sometimes.Then sometimes I have a good day like today where everything was ok.

RunFree, glad you had a good trip but sorry the itching continues.I'm jealous since I've never been to NY.Thanks for your support also.

GIGIL, no we do not use contrast.no needles.It's like an XRay you just lay on the table and it scans you.

My hubby took the day off yesterday and we sure had a busy day of Dr appt,lunch,about her appt and then HS conferences for my son.