Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2013

Josie I am glad your eye is better. Brookside fiddle de dee it is. I love that expression Doc emailed and said a little bit of blood is not unusual or dangerous in my situation. He said it would only be a concern if it was all blood and no urine. In that case I would have to go to emergency. but thank God I am ok.

I had so much fun with retail therapy yesterday even though I've gotten so fat. Before I quit smoking in 2010 I was 105 pounds. Then I gained 20 pounds, and before I started chemo I was 125. OMG I gained 21 pounds from chemo, and I have ballooned up to 146. To make matters worse my tummy is distended from bladder cancer. Yesterday I bought stretch pants, because I can't fit in my jeans. I also bought tops size medium that are long and hide my belly. I've always worn size xs in tops, and now I had to get a medium OMG I hate looking fat. I am only 5'3. and I am small boned, so this weight looks worse on me. My radiation oncologist thought I looked great. I think when people know my diagnosis, and that I have been through 15 chemo treatments they expect me to look thin and frail. Doc says it is ok to diet if I want to, but the stress of having stage 4 bladder cancer mets to the lungs is causing me to pig out.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2013

Kate, I know how you feel.I gained about 10# since radiation ended and I'm about where you are weight wise.I plan on going on weight watchers soon as I can order the newer books.I have books from like 2008. They have changed the points system since then.

My eye is much better thanks Kate.Did your doc ever email you?

Remember me telling you how my son ended up in the ER a few weeks ago? He had a terrible Urinary tract infection.Well tonight he told me it's starting to burn again when he urinated.He took the full dose of Antibiotics and even had some in the ER IV.I guess it didn't get rid of the infection.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited October 2013

Kate, what a relief to hear what your doctor said! I would have been worried at that one too. I sympathize about the weight gain. That's such an important issue for me.

Josie, your poor son, my goodness. UTIs are no fun at all--I've had quite a few. Bring on the cranberry juice! And probably more antibiotics.

• josie123
    edited October 2013

Yeah I Know RunFree but he doesn't like it too much .Also the antibiotics are much harder too because he can't swallow pills and I have to open the capsule and pour it into pudding.And if he doesn't gag and he swallows it we are doing good.I was so proud of him it was 2 capsules(huge capsules) twice daily.Now anouther round of fun.Yay me.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2013

Hi guys. I have to chime in on weight and urge my bc sisters to eat healthily and exercise moderately, not diet! Ok, I'll be quiet now. 

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2013

josie123,

I have had a lot of recurrent bladder infections and I used to take all the antibiotics prescribed. After a while I became allergic to them and started having skin rashes and hives. This was before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I started taking cranberry pills, limited my sugar intake, used D-Mannose powder and ate fresh garlic. I had no choice trying the alternative treatment. It is very frustrating when it comes back again. I hope your son feels better soon.

GiGil,

I have an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow and I will ask her to test my hormone levels. I also would like to have my iodine level checked. I hope she will do these tests. I have read that the saliva test is more accurate but I don't think it is available at her office. I read one of your old posts referring to Life Extension doing these tests. Did you do any of these tests? If my doctors did these tests several years ago, may be BC could have been prevented.  Can you think of any other tests that are important to prevent recurrence? I have done the vitamin D3 test already. Thank you.

Kate,

I am glad you are feeling better to go shopping. That is the only time I don't think about breast cancer. Good luck with your appointments.   

• katehudson25
    edited October 2013

Josie, Runfree, and New 2bc thanks for the support. Josie I am so sorry that your son is still having a problem with a uti, and even more sorry that he has trouble swalloing capsules. OMG you have so much on your plate. At the current time I have another uti, and I an taking cipro. New2bc good luck with your pcp appointment tomorrow. Try and think positive. I try very hard not to think about my stage 4 bladder cancer. The more I think about something else the better I feel.

• RunFree16
    edited October 2013

Hmm, Josie, have you tried other juices that are mixed with cranberry? I mean just as one simple thing to do. There are so many great juice combinations out there these days.

SAB, I think it depends on what you mean by "diet" and what others mean. I don't go for fad diets, although I eat closer to the Mediterranean menu than I used to. I diet by limiting myself to 1500 calories. That's not a tiny number, but it's one I can sustain. I also exercise usually, but even when I don't, I can eventually lose on 1500 calories, if I log it. I can also go a bit over a couple of days a week and still lose, I think because I'm keeping my metabolism from slowing down. I've lost weight this way, small amounts and 25 lbs. when my second child was young and I wasn't exercising at all. When I stop logging what I'm eating, calorie-wise, my food can be ever so healthy but I will just eat too much of it, and slowly my weight will drift back up. So I float up and down within a small range, coming back to my 1500-calorie routine periodically to bring it down.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2013

josie, so trying for your poor son.  It's bad enough that we older females get these horrid infrections (so sorry it's your turn too, Kate), but you'd think a young male might escape.  I sure hope this time it clears up and stays clear!

Every Sunday I log my weight and measurements.  This keeps me honest (well, sort of).  When I'm on an upswing, the logging sort of stops and I just keep gaining (sigh).  My kids were here this weekend and I actually forgot to log.  Magically, I'm up three pounds.  From not logging?  Maybe from eating twice as much as usual.  I'm also logging exercise, trying to make that 30 minutes/day routine.  I don't believe in "diet" either, but have lost 25-30 pounds since dx just by abandoning my beloved high fat favorites.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2013

Josie, after fighting UTI's for six months this past year, I chime in with New2bc that d-mannose powder dissolved in water (tasteless) each day and a cranberry chew as well as staying away from sugar have saved my sanity. I have gotten things under control using that regimen. Blueberry juice is also very good. It is important to drink plenty of water as well to flush out that bladder. Poor guy. My grandson who is in a wheelchair has had an occasional bout as well. Antibiotics can start off a cycle that is hard to break away from. Bacteria, and then all bacteria including good bacteria killed - yeast. Oh another important component is a good probiotic. You can get probiotics in yogurt, but I have experimented with a few and I found the one that agrees with me, with no side effects is the Culturelle in the yellow box. It is uncomplicated and just replaces what the antibiotics kill off in the intestinal tract. I can't tell you the relief I have found with this regimen. I think it would work with your son. I think the capsules of the Culturelle are tasteless and could be broken and put into pudding.

New2bc, I have not tried the lab tests from Life Extension Labs, but I do believe I will be trying them soon, if I don't find a good natural practitioner who is willing to test my hormone levels and not treat my hormonal situation in a cookie cutter manner. We are all individuals with different levels of everything. Let me know what you decide to do.

Joan, your work sounds absolutely exciting and fascinating. Bad hotels freak me out though. Good hotels freak me out. I do not like sleeping on mattresses and pillows that thousands of others have slept on. I always carry my own pillow. I am a bit of a freak about these things. I am not to the point of being seriously neurotic, but I border on it. I do not ever walk barefoot on a hotel carpet, I get rid of the bedspread whenever I can, and I don't ever look under the bed or between the bed and the wall at the top of the bed or I know I would be running for the hills. Those rooms never get cleaned properly. I join in hoping you don't have to get off that redeye and back to work.

Run, it seems like the Tamox might be the culprit here. The timing is right, that is for sure.

Kate, glad the blood is not a big concern. I am small boned too, and the weight you are right now, has become my goal weight. I lost 10 lbs over last winter and have gained the darned things back. I am getting nervous. I need to get my thyroid levels checked again. I am hypothyroid and the radiation treatments knocked my thyroid for a loop. I thought we had me evened out, but I am due for a recheck, and I fear I am out of whack again. SAB is right, eating a well balanced moderate diet is the way to go, and daily exercise. I am still working on that. Why can't I get myself on a regular routine with exercise. There is always a diversion.

Brookside, I always enjoy your insights. I can tell you research. I do too. You always lend information that I find helpful. Cindy, where are you and what are you up to? Josie, the pumpkin patch today with your daughter sounds like so much fun. Enjoy your day. Everyone else, have a great day. The sun is shining here, which is a good start!

• RunFree16
    edited October 2013

Back from my physical with my PCP, and no big news flash (except I really am hard of hearing, phooey!). Several of my blood values were off, but she wasn't too concerned about them. Liver and thyroid looked good; some of the ones that were off--I'm just doing this from memory, because for some reason I didn't get a copy--had to do with lymph % and.... shoot, I forgot. I'll call and get the report. I'm going to redo my CBC in a couple of weeks to see if the funny ones are any different, and in the meantime we're going to test a couple of blood clotting factors to investigate my little bruises and do a blood test for celiac disease, just for the heck of it.

Yesterday I got very, very freaked out and anxious because I had mysteriously lost 2-3 lbs. I am very attuned to my weight, and if I'd done it through effort I'd be thrilled, but I couldn't account for it. Then I noticed several new bruises, and my guts have been a little unhappy too. Obviously leukemia, right? I spent most of the day really suffering from anxiety and a sense of doom. Then a friend pointed out that unexplained bruising and indigestion are two of the MANY occasional Tamoxifen side effects. Somehow that lifted my mood, and today I'm light-hearted and full of energy, and my weight is back up by 2 lbs. Go figure. Both days I have run a little fever, 99-99.7, which is also quite unusual for me. Overall I think the Bactrim is helping my skin, as I'm itching somewhat less. It's all relative.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2013

Hi y'all

Josie - UTIs ugh poor son...pumpkin patch with daughter yippee:) creative craving and pumpkin seeds:)hope your work is calm and kind this week!

Brookside - words of wisdom...a lifestyle adjustment 25# that's a good thing :)

SAB - our top chef :) wish you could cook for us all! Yummy!

Kate - princess warrior with attitude...you inspire and bring smiles :) hope the UTI clears up fast!

RunFree - darn that rash...seems like the Tami has to be the culprit. are you on a generic? Filler? Or real stuff? Wonder if there is a difference. Calm the mind...don't let it run wild! Glad your friend talked you back from the edge...ugh Trauma of this journey.

Joan - fun trip...fun work...free exercise up down billy goat! Bet home looks real good and less altitude too:) stroll the beach with hubby:)

GiGil - love the hotel stories...traveled too much...zone out...hit the sheets...only 1 time did I think I got bit by bed bugs...ER said bad hives allergic reaction...bought new jeans and did not wash before wearing...I was a mess...2 hives covered my entire body...weeks to settle down...now very careful...how's dad?

New2bc - hope your PCP gets it right! Hard to request tests that don't fit their program...push.

Trunk LE is ugh:( so tired of this corset. Busy packing...1 day for a few hours next day play...move in 13 days. Hubby is excited...so from daddy bear house to baby bear house to momma bear house...he asked what I thought...I smiled bit my tongue...thinking I miss my lake...not necessarily the big big house but lake friends and routine there...here just moving a few streets away...change gets harder...but some of my lake friends are downsizing here too...lake is 45 minutes away so no big deal...haven't kayak yet sort of waiting on arm and LE...my arms are tired after 7 minutes cranking on the machine...not sure how I would last on the lake...need a mini paddle :)))

Ok 6 mo mammo on 11/17... will it hurt? So tender and swollen...time to gently massage Vit E on my incisions :)

Shout out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited October 2013

Kate, sorry to hear about that UTI, hope that clears up soon.Thanks for y our kind comments about my son and his UTI.

New 2BC, Gigil, RunFree,Brookside, thanks for the concern and helpful suggestions about my son.

He was able to give me a sample after school but did not know to refrigerate it since he was the only one home .So that was a wasted sample but I'll just go by the lab and get  a new container

tomorrow.I meant to bring one home tonight but I forgot.

• RunFree16
    edited October 2013

You have to refrigerate urine samples? Sheesh.

Cindy, I was concerned my 6-month mammo would hurt, but it didn't. Just squeezy. The woman doing them was quite sensitive to my sensitivity and stopped squeezing just before it got to be too much. I haven't had the LE you've had, but fingers crossed, maybe you will also have an easier time of it than you fear. Massage and Vitamin E can't hurt though.

Also Cindy, that's an interesting question about my Tamoxifen. I'm using the Teva generic. I thought the original company wasn't even making it anymore now that it's off patent? I think the only other manufacturer in the US is Watson, and people seem to have more side effects than they do on Teva. The Bottle o' Tamoxifen thread is a wealth of information about this kind of thing. But I will bring up the brand issue with my MO.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

Cindy, my six-month mammo seemed more gentle than most.  My bs had indicated that it is meant as a baseline, not so much a screening tool, so I guess they don't have to totally pancake you.  Nice image, huh?  I hope they'll be really gentle with you.

RunFree, I'm glad your blood test was, well, kind of boring (beats the heck out of alarming, no?), and that lots of negative stuff is pretty much ruled out, but do you have a sense that you're getting closer to an answer?

• josie123
    edited October 2013

Cindy I'll let you know how mine goes on Nov 5.

• RunFree16
    edited October 2013

Brookside, I may be a little closer to an answer. I guess my PCP was able to rule out thyroid cancer and liver dysfunction, two things the derm told me to look into just in case. The celiac test will help too, unless the blood test isn't the best tool? I really don't think this is dietary, but I'm glad to be doing the test.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

RunFree, I'll bet your pcp was up half the night reading old medical texts.  Come to think of it, probably surfing the web and emailing all her medical detective friends.  Hope she comes up with exactly the correct (and innocuous) answer!

• RunFree16
    edited October 2013

I hope you're right, Brookside!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited October 2013

Everyone - I have been at the ER hospital with a huge kidney stone. Passed that and found out it was a twin. Have been on pain pills and really out of it so chose not to check in. Today I was doing better it seemed and then got hit with a real fast hard fatigue like I had during rads. My body is not making me happy right now.I was going to throw in the towel but yesterday I went to see the rhummy. She is the one who wanted me to start chemo. We talked a long time about an hour. She is putting that idea on hold for now. She told me to stay away from VitD because it could reactivate my Sarcoid. She told me had I taken the 50,000 units a week ordered by the endo I would have ended up in the hospital. I am collecting my records from him on testing done and going to U of Mi for the next endo. The hour drive will be worth it to stay away from Drs with large egos that refuse to think out side the box. She told me all my labs look good so why am I so freakin tired still. I still have a goiter so my thyroid could be compromised from rads too.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2013

Oh Bunkie, so sorry you've been in hospital birthing stones...ugh:( how painful. Hope your body starts feeling better and your medical team gets it together...no excuse...dangerous...sending healing restorative thoughts and prayers...sweet dreams.

• katehudson25
    edited October 2013

Bunkie, I am so sorry that you have been in pain. I so hope you feel better soon

Cindy, I hope your move goes smoothly. My 6 mo mammo didn't hurt, and I hope yours won't either. I love your posts

Gigil, of course a moderate diet with exercise is the best. Why can't I do it? I am especially bad about exercise. I sure can't diet now with halloween coming up. I love candy. Today I bought two bags of candy for trick or treaters, and I had to throw them out. I started noshing on them, so I threw them out, so I wouldn't eat more. The stores will be pretty sold out Thursday, but that's when I will buy more. I can't be trusted when candy is in the house. I don't even like chocolate candy I like licorice, rip rolls, jelly beans etc. Oh well hopefully I can start dieting again on Friday. This extra weight makes me feel bad emotionally.

• brooksidevt
    edited October 2013

Kate, I never eat candy, and generally have little interest in the sugar food group.   Bought two bags for Halloween last week.  Ate half the Mounds Bars on the way home, the other half the next day, but was able to pass the candy corn off to my middle son  I guess I'll have to go get more now, huh? 

So sorry youo're going through so much, Bunkie, happy you'll have a new endo.

Hoping your rash is getting better, RunFree.

Josie, I'm wondering about Dexa scans--at what number do they start getting worried about fractures?  I know osteoporosis starts at -2.5, but when is there real danger?  Is it -3?  - 3.5?  Where?

• RunFree16
    edited October 2013

Bunkie, I've been wondering if it was a bad sign that you haven't been posting. I am so sorry to hear about your kidney stones. My husband had those and the pain was absolutely awful. I'm glad you have your rheum and access to another endo. Did you ask the rheum why you are so tired?

• josie123
    edited October 2013

BUNKIE, I'm so sorry to hear about the kidney stones my husband has had those more than he cares to admit.If you've ever seen a grown man be brought to his knees in pain that would be him.I hope your all better now.

Kate don't throw that candy away, send it my way!!!! I haven't even had the money to buy candy yet.Tomorrow I will.

Brookside, Yes the T score of-2.5 is Osteoporosis.That score itself is enough to increases your risk of fracture and of course any score lower than that is even more worrisome.We usually suggest meds at this point.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Josie I wish you were here so I could give you candy. Halloween is almost over, and I have too much left. Late tonight I will throw it out, so I don't eat it.

I have an appointment with a robotic, urologist, oncologist, surgeon next Thursday. It is stressing me, because I don't want to hear bad news. If he doesn't recommend surgery that will be bad news.I made another appointment with the GI specialist, because I am having trouble with constipation. and cramps, but I couldn't get an appointment till Dec. 13.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Gosh I feel so depressed tonight. I have been so upbeat, and positive, but tonight I am down in the dumps. For the first time I am allowing tears to roll down my face. I guess I am in the 4th stage of grief, which is depression. I so hate feeling even a little depressed, but according to my MO I have a terminal illness. One part of my mind is depressed, the other part believes in miracles. I am resilient. I mostly think positive, and I am the unsinkable Molly Brown, and a fighter. So, I've cleared up the tears, and am ready to kick the butt out of this God awful cancer once again. Thanks for letting me vent.

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2013

Am thinking  positive thoughts fo  you  Kate. I have had some bad days too which for the  moment have left me alone. My PCP increased my Amytryptiline so that must be kicking in. Not sure  if you are the praying type but I am  saying a few for  you. Hugs coming your way.

As I post I am cheating and eating some of my grand kids Halloween candy. I had been so good at avoiding sugar and sweets too.

• katehudson25
    edited November 2013

Thank you Grammy. No, I am not the praying type, but thank you for saying some for me. OMG I hope I don't eat candy till next halloween. You gotta cheat on Halloween

• brooksidevt
    edited November 2013

What a lousy night you've had, Kate.  I'm so sorry you had to go through that particular misery.  Sometimes a whole bunch of thoughts/ideas sort of clobber you all at once, and hit you exactly at your most vulnerable.  Sometimes it's about something really important, such as you just experienced, but it can also be about a really minor disappointment (here, I'm thinking, for instance, anything and everything teenage or premenstrual).  If you are (maybe yes, maybe no) experiencing the despair stage, please don't think it will all be like this.  What you/ve just gone through (and maybe are still going through) is acute, intense, and self limiting. Our own bodily resources protect us from too much going on too long.  Believe me, I'm not minimizing what you're feeling, but just hoping you're not thinking you'll be stuck in this particularly miserable moment of time.  Also, it's perfectly normal to hopscotch back and forth between the different stages.  Quite possibly you'll find yourself firmly stuck in, for instance, the very comfortable denial stage, for a while. 

Have you contacted your support group?  If you're like me, talking is how I work through things, and your support group (like this one) will have some very good listening ears.  One other thought, is that if you're really feeling you need to see the gastro guy sooner, maybe your once can get you an earlier appointment?  Or another referral?