Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2013

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...was busy with 4 big guys staying here...so different than most christmases of recent years.  Sometimes it was overwhelming....but the laughter that filled my home was great.  Three have left as of this evening, and one goes back to NYC tomorrow.  I guess I'll go to work on Monday...otherwise it will be too quiet here!
    I was supposed to travel to DC but DD is traveling in a few days and we decided to wait. I am sitll shopping for her family.  On 12/26 we went to DD in CT and had every family member there except for DD from DC.  It was wild...but fun!
    So, I got my last set of grades in on Christmas Eve (deadline) and it was pretty easy.  Glad I didn't forget!
    We don't have classes for 3-4 weeks but with my crazy job I have to go in to work.  Nobody there....can put in a few hours then leave. 

Kate, your weather sounds wonderful.  It's been cold.  On Christmas Eve we had a quick snowfall that covered everything as the ground was so cold.  I went outside to enjoy the moment and took some pix in the dark.  I love the lights, the tree, the fireplace...house always looks best when decorated.

April, I am sorry to hear about your MIL...I too hate what cancer does to families.  Hugs and prayers...
    SAB, I hope you are feeling better and any further tests show healing.  Bummer about the stolen mail and card.  It shouldn't cost you anything, but it is such an awful feeling to be a victim of theft.
    For those who are dealing with SEs from rashes, chemo or radiation, my thoughts are with you.  Keep checking in...it helps.

Janis, did you see any of your childern this holiday season?  I hope you have had good days and peace.  I gave away most of my cookies...still a lot of food to tempt us here.

DD in MA closed on a house this week...reality has set in...they are settling in there...I hope to see them soon for DGd's 3rd BD.

I hope the peace and joy of the season will last awhile...as we finally relax from all the preparations. 

• K-Lo
    K-Lo Member Posts: 826
    edited December 2013

Are you driving alone, Merilee?  I haven't been behind a drivers wheel for a month.    Spouse and MD's forbid.   I have mixed feelings since I AM pretty medicated.

Has anyone had GluCan recommended for skin issues...........   This was from Radiation Oncology.    Ask about it if not.    Very different, although I am hoping to get good old Silvadene again before its all over.   Nerdy

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2013

Josie thanks so much for the support

Joan, I am glad you had a wonderful Xmas

We have a high of 75 today, 72 for New Years Eve, and 80 for Thursday. We are well above our average temperatures. Sure it is nice, but 70 something and sunny gets old. I miss snow.

I had another itchy night. I am so hoping my dermatologist is in the office tomorrow, and can see me

• joan811
    edited December 2013

hi Kate 

Next time it snows i will try to fedex some snowballs 

Loopy

Darn rash ... What is going on?   Keep pushing for solutions. 

K Lo Hi - I never heard of glu can but there must be a thead about it somewhere.  Hope you aee healinh and feelimg ok.  Where are you at with trestment?

Steady rain here all day.  DS at airport going to Chicago.  

Am in car driving DGs & gf back to NYC.  DH driving and he does not like NY.  Add rain and traffic....could be stressful. 

Quiet at my house now.  I could sleep for days. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited December 2013

Just wanted to let you all know that my dad passed this morning.  It has been 13 months for my siblings and me getting dad through mom's death and his own health challenges.  I really thought Mom would be here when this day came.  Little did we know that her fairly routine surgery would go so awry.  Now I am the family matriarch and I am not at all sure I am ready for that.  Dad passed gently in his sleep with my brother, his beloved son, holding his hand.  That was his fondest wish.  My brother has been gone a lot this past 20 years building businesses around the world.  It was therapeutic for both of them.  We, the worker bees of the family (my two sisters and I) are relieved for Dad and feeling a huge void.  Thank you all so much for caring.  GiGi

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2013

So sorry that you have lost your Dad, Gigi.  He has been so lucky to have you--Boy, have you been a rock for him and the rest of the family.  As you have been so involved with his care, and his last months, I am sure his loss will leave a very large empty place in your life.  I'm glad he had one last Christmas and hope he and the rest of your family were able to enjoy the holiday.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2013

Joan, your family holiday sounds wonderful.  I was also with children and grandchildren, all very lovely until I came home with a cold or flu or whatever, gift, I believe, of the 3 year-old. 

Kate, I sure hope your rash is in fadeaway mode by now.  It just seems so unfair that it should raise its itchy head so far after all your other chemo side effects have had a chance to go away.

I trust all you academic types have submitted your grades and are doing exactly what you want with totally free time.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2013

Gigil, I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing.  Loosing a parent is always hard.  Take care....

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2013

Gigil, I am so very sorry for your loss. My condolences to your family. ((((Gigil))))

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited December 2013

Oh GiGiL, I'm so sorry about your dad!  I suppose since we all have to go, it was good that he was among you and you got to have so many nice experiences together over the last months.  At least he will be at peace now--but I'm sure you will miss him for the rest of your days.  

April, I'm sorry about your mother-in-law too.  It sounds like a particularly nasty cancer.  Poor thing, hope she didn't suffer too much.  

Cindy, how did your husband's infusion go?

Kate, if your rash is still itching, maybe ask about scabies treatment.  I had Permethrin cream 5% and it was the easiest thing I did in my whole tour through the wonderful world of dermatology.  It's a liquidy cream that you rub all over yourself once, not too messy, no staining, not goopy, invisible.  My derm told me to do the treatment again a week later, again just once.  My derm told me several stories about how scabies can masquerade as lots of other things and make dermatologists look like idiots.  I hope it's not bugging you now though.

My sister has now met with a surgeon who says he doesn't want to excise the ALH patch, just wants to watch it.  Problem over!  But not even 24 hours after she got the biopsy results--before she'd met with the surgeon--my husband went to the bathroom and saw a huge amount of blood in his urine.  I was of course thinking of you, Kate.  I just couldn't believe it!  Yo, 2013, how about a DAY without drama???!!  The blood got worse and he passed several clots (sorry, yucky!), but he felt OK, except then he started to have some pain in the middle of his back, slowly migrating across.  Then the blood started to diminish, and after about 48 hours it wasn't visible anymore.  At that point he got in to see his PCP who said there was still blood visible under a microscope, but given the back pain, he thinks it was a small kidney stone that my husband must have passed with the clots.  He's doing another urine test tomorrow but the doctor is not that worried.  I want my husband to ask why the doctor isn't doing a cystoscopy just to have a look.  My mom had bladder cancer and she is a little surprised that the doctor is so mellow.  But I have learned there are a lot of very harmless things that can trigger having blood in the urine, and also that not very much blood can look really alarming.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited December 2013

Gigil,  I'm so glad your dad had a gentle death supported by his 2daughters and his son. I wish all of us such a passing. I know that you were a great daughter to your dad, and that this is such a sad time for you, I wish you peace and comfort as well.  It's hard when both your parents are gone.  Will be thinking of you in the days to come.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2013

GiGil - so sorry for your lost. What a sweet gift you and your family gave your dad this past year. So many memories of love.  Our hearts go out to you...ah our dads.  

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2013

Hi y'all

Hubby is doing well.  His infusions are daily for 10 days...not chemo, but a strong antibiotic.  Some SEs. Hopefully, it will kill what has infected his bladder and not damage his kidneys...trade off.  He's got another blockage so USC for tissue trim...always something. He went to dermatologist to look at one thing and Dr cut a cyst out of his cheek..geeez:(

Brookside - we received the same toddler gift...first cold in years ugh. But they are so cute. 

Kate - sun balls :) get that itch gone...cheers. 

April - sorry about your mil so much loss...ugh cancer.  Sorry that AI is kicking you.  Have you tried another? Hang in there. 

RunFree - sister yeah, hubby boo.  Sounds like a kidney stone.  Hoping 2014 is calm and gentle. 

SAB - mailbox thieves with charges crazy.  So hard to protect oneself. 

Joan - the joy of a full house, successful kids, and the quite when they all go home!  You did good...grades in...happy family...happy mom:)

GiGil - beautiful ring...caring hands...love pics of hands...they say so much:) 

Shout out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. He was a lucky person to have all his children around him before he passed away. My dad died 7 years ago and he was also very lucky to have all of us next to him the moment he entered his new journey. I was holding his hand and he squeezed my hand right before leaving this world. Now he can join your mom in heaven. Take care!

• joan811
    edited December 2013

Gigi, as Cindy mentioned,beautiful ring...glad you made it to Christmas.  Your grandkids need you.  I am saddened to hear of dad's passing.  It is a difficult time for you.  You gave him the greatest gift of family time and things he loved.
    Well done...hugs and prayers for you.

Run, it seems to never end...hope all is OK at this point.

Cindy, what a year it has been for you.  I hope you and DH are turning the corner toward better health and settling in.

Sew, good to see you here...it has been a tough year for your family.  Hugs and wishes for good health and peace.

There have been a lot of health and family challenges, and sad losses this year.  I am glad we can come together here to share and listen and support one another.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2013

Gigil, I'm so sorry for your Dads passing.You and your siblings did so well caring for him and enjoying his last moments with him.But nothing prepares us for the loss.My prayers are with you and your family.

RunFree, Sounds like your hubby may of had a kidney stone.Glad he is doing better.

Cindy, hope hubby is feeling better.Glad his infusion is over.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2013

Gigil, I am so very sorry that your dad passed away You took

good care of him, and I know about a daughter's and father's love. My dad passed 6 years ago,amd I miss him so much

Cindy, I am so glad your husband is doing well

I could get in to see the dermatologist at 9: 30 am tomorrow, but I declined, because of lack of sleep from constipation cramps, so I will probably have to wait till Monday the 6th

I am itchy, and in pain if I don't take extra strength tylenol, for the cramps, but I am a trooper, and hanging int here

• josie123
    edited December 2013

Hang in there Kate.I hope your not too uncomfortable for the New Year.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2014

Oh my, so much going on.

Gigi, I hope that all of the love and care you gave your Father comes back to you in some wonderful way…I know how sad it must have been for you this year, but I just got the feeling that your Dad knew how cherished he was.  What a blessing you were for him.

Cindy, I hope your dh feels better soon! Same to your dh Runfree!  I hope it looked scarier than it is.

Sew, I hope you are well!  It's nice to "see" you.

Kate, Sorry your rash is so pesky.  

Joan, what chaos!  I bet it was fun to have everyone together.  Congrats on getting the grades in.  Now you can take a moment to breath I hope!  

Josie, I really feel "hugged" by the forest.  Not usually scary here at all.  My big bad dogs help.  It can be isolating though--I know that feeling. Do you still have your place in the woods?  I hope work is going well for you.

Janis, are you there?  Are you done shipping out your mountain of marzipan and your truckload of cake balls?  What a wonderful, personal thing to do for people.

Well, break was good, and I have a souvenir…5 extra pounds to take back to work with me!  Well, could have been worse I guess, and I did enjoy every morsel.  CT scan today, results after the holiday.  Yuck!  I did NOT like it one bit. That iodine contrast stuff is nasty!

Ah, once again I thank you all for your support throughout this year.  Here's to a healthy and happy 2014!  Hugs to all.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2014

Hi all

Returned from Vegas with lots of family so have not been on the boards much. Spent some great time with all my kids, husband and lots of in-laws.  My MIL got to see her great-granddaughter for the very first time-precious. 

So sorry to hear of those with loved ones passing- sympathy to you and your loved ones during this time. Kate- does benadryl help at all? My kids tease me its a cure-all but for itchy sometimes it can't be beat! 

Cindy hope your DH continues to tolerate everything well and thank goodness you are not slogging through ice and snow to go to treatments. 

Runfree- just my 2 cents but having frank blood in the urine in the absence of trauma is not particularly common and not easily attributed to something like prostate hypertrophy or even a stone.  This is a sensitive subject for me as my own dad had microscopic hematuria for 3 years, then progressed to one episode of frank blood and clots in the urine that spontaneously resolved never to appear again- they attributed this to age and prostate, never did a cysto- unfortunately his problem was renal CA.  I don't say this to scare or alarm you but many of my MD friends over the years when I tell the story say that blood in the urine always warrants a close look.  Hope I did not overstep

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2014

Happy New Year, everyone!  Just think of all the victories we've collectively achieved over the past year or two!  May this new year bring health, happiness, healing, and joy.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2014

"Happy New Year, everyone!  Just think of all the victories we've collectively achieved over the past year or two!  May this new year bring health, happiness, healing, and joy."

Ditto what Brookside said above! Happy New Year ladies! May you have a wonderful and healthy New Year!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2014

Hi ladies,

Lots to catch up on. My computer was down before Christmas and then we had the mother of all ice storms. My city lost 80% of all power for 3 days and my house was out for 5 almost 6. I had to vactate the house and stay with a friend that did have power. I was in her basement and she has mice. OMG. For 5 days everything that moved made me crazy. To make matters worst she and her mom left Christmas eve to go to Texas and I was housesitting. My car was stuck in the garage because my dad had the siding put over the old door that was there. No car and a house I did not know...alone. I am thankful for the support she gave me but man....I hate mice. She is a hoarder but not the food nasty kind. Just piles of clothes and junk everywhere. I lost all the food in both freezers and my fridge. All my berries and frozen veggies from summer, organic meats, favorite ice creme and some cakes and desserts. I really did not know I had that much food in there because it was so organized. Estimate was about 800-1000. All gone and had to clean and wash the shelves. Went to the store and restocked some but will NEVER have that much food again.

I will comew back on soon and catch up. Miss you all.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited January 2014

Wyo thanks for the advice and you didn't overstep at all--see my PM.  My husband took his second sample to the lab on Monday so I imagine we'll hear about it tomorrow.

I'm thirding what Brookside said!  HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!  I want to say again how very powerful this community, on this thread, has been for me.  I feel as though I couldn't have gotten through the past year without you.  I guess technically I could have, but I would have missed you so much!  I hope this is a better year for all of us--great results from Kate's surgery and new treatments, improvements for Cindy's DH, MostlySew's SIL getting better, good news for SAB, Josie finding a better job where she is appreciated and not overworked and handsomely paid, and so much more.  With no new bad news, for crying out loud!

I have been struggling with thinking about the coming year.  I keep thinking that 2013 was a terrible year from start to finish.  On one of my Facebook pages I wrote, "Hey, 2013:  It's not me, it's you."  Then I remember, I never like to wish time away; nobody died in my family, I got better, my mom got better, my sister doesn't have cancer, and many other good things happened.  Then I recall that I've also felt really lucky to have had milder cancer than so many others do.  Yet somehow I feel angry at 2013, as if it's a malevolent person.  I think this is some anger coming out that is probably long overdue.  I'm not angry at cancer, strangely enough, at least not at this point.  But I guess I do have anger and that mild PTSD feeling is still kind of with me.  In my family, me, husband, kids, we stay in on New Years' Eve, eat lots of snacks, and watch the ball drop on TV.  At some point in the evening we turn off the TV and talk about our "hopes, dreams, and aspirations" for the coming year and what we most liked about the past year.  Last night we had a wonderful talk about that for nearly an hour, almost missed the moment!  I was able to look ahead finally and think about various kinds of plans and schemes.

Anyway thank you once again for being you.  Forward!

• LaurieParr
    LaurieParr Member Posts: 214
    edited January 2014

April, my prayers are with you! May God bless you and give you peace!

• LaurieParr
    edited January 2014

Dearest Cindy,

God bless you and your husband! I am trying to catch up on everyone's lives here. It is not an easy task! I care about each one of you, even if I do not respond to each!  Happy New Year all!

Laurie

XOXOXOXOX

• LaurieParr
    edited January 2014

Team Kim,

I just saw your post about Baseballism! Guess what???? My son got one from my husband on Christmas too! He jumped for joy for that shirt over all others! It warmed my heart!  I got the sweatpants. I love them!  LOVE the Baseballism site.  Have you tried Routine Baseball? My son LOVES their baseball shirts too. :)

• LaurieParr
    edited January 2014

• josie123
    edited January 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!

SAB, that's good you have 2 big dogs.I'm glad you feel safe.Yes we still have that place in the country.We just don't get down there to often.Work is ok but noticed the other day my schedule was opened up and They have my appointments  on Fridays starting 20 min earlier and the appoint used to end by 2:20 now they have appointment slots until 3:20. So there goes that extra time to catch up on things.I had a horrendous day Monday.A patient had to wait like over an hour and she yelled at me so bad.It wasn't my fault because my patients were taken by the doctor first because the doctor was trying to leave early which threw my schedule way off.

BUNKIE, That's a shame you lost electric for so long and lost all that food.At least you had somewhere to stay.But mice? Yuck.I was wondering about you since we hadn't heard from you in a while.Glad your ok.

RunFree, I'm with you 2013  was pretty rotten for me too but had a few mixed blessings too.I guess it could have been worse but don't want to repeat it again.

I started yesterday with a Migraine and feeling rather yucky.I had my eye doctor appt.She said she agreed that the Tamoxofin probably caused the itchy,red scaley eyelids, especially since it cleared up right after I stopped it.I also have dry eye which she attributed to a side effect of Tamoxofin and radiation.I also questioned her about the droopy eyelid I have on my right side.

I also mentioned the fact that sometimes I'll just drop a cup or something in my right hand.Like I just lose my grip for no reason.She said it is all on the right side and that's the side my surgery was and it could be nerve damage .Glad she doesn't think its something serious.But we will keep an eye on the droopy eyelid.

• LaurieParr
    edited January 2014

Happy New Year ladies! Here's to a fresh start (hopefully cancer free) for all of us! 

I was finally able to get in to see my RO yesterday.   Turns out I have a deep infection in my breast (possibly bacteria that is on the implant) and they put me on a week (possibly two) of anti-biotics.  I was so happy to hear that I was not "over-reacting or imagining" the pain.  I really was prepared for him to look at me and just say, "Yeah...it's the after effects of rads....you just have to deal with it."  I'm glad I was better safe than sorry. My guess is I've had the infection for about a month now.  He said he did not feel as if it were Cellulitis and that is good.  

I pray you are all healing and at peace. Love to you all. Thank you all for just being "you."

Love, Laurie

XOXOXOXO