Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2012

Greetings friends!  I am always interested in the progress everyone is making.  I hope everyone is getting along well and feeling good!

I am very concerned I have LE in addition to the cellulitis.  My breast and underarm and part of the side are still swollen.  If I raise my arm above my head it hurts.  My MO's nurse was pretty sure I have LE.  I will get the final diagnosis next week.  I am really bummed to say the least as I know it can be very

complicated to treat.  Oh well, I will do whatever I need to.

Kate thinking of you and hope all goes well for you tomorrow.  It is DH's birthday...I have a real good feeling for you to have a good outcome.  Be well!

Irw333.....I loved, loved talking to you today.  Stay here and everyone can cheer you on, I know you are worried about the gall bladder issue.  It will be okay, just take lots of deep breaths hon.  You have been through a lot but sure are a trooper.

MostlySew...any news from your tests?  Thinking of you as well sweet lady.

Enjoying our first snow of the year...my dogs are in love.

I have to include this photo of my beloved boy Pistol.  Yesterday I made doughnuts from scratch and after they were rising (covered with towels of course) I caught Pistol on the counter (not allowed) STANDING on the almost risen doughnuts!  Since they were covered of course I still fried them.  Some had some very interesting indentations!  He loves to "help" in the kitchen...when I am not looking of course!  Anyway thought you would all enjoy a little laugh.  Here is my baby!

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Okay I screwed up where I pasted Pistol...but you all get the point.  He always makes me smile! 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2012

Janis,

Loved the picture of Pistol....silly boy. I've got cats too and there's nothing better then "helping"! Once had one actually steal the peanut butter cookies right out of the cookie jar. Thought my DH had gotten a sweet tooth attack.

Sorry to hear about your possible LE. Every time we get to getting on with our lives, seems like something else happens. Hopefully they'll show you the massage techniques and you can get it under control. Just make sure Pistol doesn't scratch you on that side.

I'm just waiting till my IS on Monday. Looking forward to my sewing retreat which starts Sunday and will help keep my mind off things.

Irw333, weren't you scheduled for some sort of test soon too? Let us know how you're doing.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2012

Hope you have fabulous results Kate...

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2012

Thank you SAB, Elizabeth 1889, and Janis. My surgery is at 9am pacific time. It is a 4 and a half hour surgery, and I will be in recovery about an hour. I should get home around 3:30. I will post to let you know that I am ok. I am praying that I won't be in too much pain.

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited January 2012

Good luck Kate!

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012

Lynniea, once the last layer of skin peeled off, my breast skin is soft, too (although I have a four inch scar on the side of it from my lumpectomy and it feels hard, not like normal skin at all).  I'm sure it's fine, but it might be worth going in to have your doc take a look at it if you don't have an appointment any time soon.  

My oncs made my appointments spread out over the months so that I don't go very long without seeing one of them.  I not only saw my RO one month after I finished radiation, he asked for an appointment every three months to make sure I'm steering clear of cancer.  I counter-offered with six months.  I think we settled on four or five.  It actually makes me feel good that they're following me so carefully, even though it works out that I'm seeing one every other month or so. 

Thanks for the Skin Organics rec, truebff.  I'm looking for good organic cosmetics.  The fewer ingredients the better for me. 

Thinking of you girls, especially Kate having surgery tomorrow.   Lisa, keep hanging in there and keep us posted on how you are doing.  Mostly Sew, any word?

Best, Steph

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Rhank you Mamav and Stephn

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2012

(((Kate)))   Many thoughts and prayers go with you.  It must be tough to face another surgery.  It seems like it doesn't end....Praying for a good result and fast recovery.
    Filter Lady - we're celebrating with you tomorrow as you finish rads. 
    JmJanis - I sincerely hope you don't have to deal with LE.  Bummer.  Love your black kitty - this is my first winter without ours...and I miss her keeping us warm...not ready for another though.
    One thing I was not prepared for is that my skin got worse after rads but is finally healing.  The redness is leaving; the swelling is going down; no itching, but tenderness and peeling persisted longer than I expected. 
    I was away from BCO for most of the week (that is, away catching up on work)...but I enjoyed your Denver Broncos chat.  I lived in Denver 2 years - 1978 - and the Orange Crush was awesome.  But now i'm in NY so......go Giants Smile

Has anyone had a big thirst AFTER rads?  seems like I never drink enough.  I always worry what the heck is happening....I have not felt myself most days since rads.
    Stay warm!
    Joan

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you joan 811

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2012

Good luck Kate. Will be thinking of you.

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you very much Ceezthe day. It is wonderful to have so many sisters.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012

Kate your in my thoughts and Prayers....

Janis I enjoyed talking with you too. We need to do it more often.  Even though I feel like I am falling apart slowly. You have the ability to put things in perspective for me and calm my fears once again... Thanks so much. Pistol is gorgeous btw...

Mostlysew so sweet of you to think of me with all your going through. I will be thinking of you Monday and praying things go well for you... I did have an US b/c of high liver enzymes. wOOt!!!  it is not cancer. I do have gallstones. I have to go for an MRI asap to see how many and if they are blocking a bile duct. Most likely I will have to have surgery soon to remove my gallbladder..ugh

Joan I could not eat or drink after Rads. Even lost weight. Our bodies all react so differently it seems.

Steph still hanging. I hope you are doing well. I am so blessed to have found BCO and everyone. 

Sweet Dreams, lisa

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2012

Irw333, I'm SO glad your high enzymes was from gallstones and not cancer.....that's wonderful. Another surgery is certainly scary, and isn't what any of us would want, but I understand that the gallbladder surgery is much easier now that they generally can do it like a laparoscopy instead of a full incision. That might make it a bit easier for you. You sure don't want to be dealing with a gallstone attack, so it's good they found it early before that happened. (we all have to look at the bright side, right?).

Joan811, it's probably good you're thirsty right now. It's good to help flush the system so just keep drinking that water. I've kind of forgotten but I re,e,bee being thirsty too, and I know several of the other boards people are always stressing water.

Hi Steph....no word for me till Monday. Time flies and creeps along simultaneously...very strange. Thanks for checking on me.

Kate, good luck tomorrow. Hopefully this will be the last time you've got to go thru this surgery.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2012

Joan 811, I too am still sooooo thirsty, even a month after rads, and I was thirsty all through rads too. I think rads just dry you out. But the more water I drink, the better I feel and it's become my favorite drink. It makes me calm, relaxed, centered.

Justmejanis, I loved the black cat and muffin story!

Kate, Prayers for you and Love.

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you so much Irw, Mostlysew and truebff. I am going to bed now. I will post tomorrow when I get home from surgery. Thank you all for all of the support.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited January 2012

Kate- The new you starts today, good luck, hugs.

Janis-I  have a  black bombay as well. His name is Shaman and he was my chemo kitty. He "helps" me all day long. LOL Talk about a clown!

• shelley2011
    shelley2011 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2012

Kate, thoughts and prayers with you today.

Janis, the cat is adorable, but I am sorry to hear about the LE.

My brain MRI is tomorrow morning - fingers crossed!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012

Irw333, Sorry to hear about your gall bladder, but I am so glad the US showed you do not have cancer. I hope you will feel better soon.

• marilyn113
    marilyn113 Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2012

Well, burst my bubble. I was supposed to finish radiation yesterday and the damn machine broke down. So after my treatment today they reminded me Thursday is the day everyone sees the doctor. Didn't matter that I was supposed to be done yesterday and got my discharge instructions last week. I had to do it anyway. Waited a good half hour for the doctor, which really dampened my enthusiasm. Then she tells me that I will alternate between seeing her and the medical oncologist and will see one of them every three months! Thanks for the reminder that I'm not done...I'll never be "done" with breast cancer.

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited January 2012

My thoughts and prayers to everyone since last post.  Turns out that I will actually be a February 2012 rads gal.  My treatments have been delayed for 2 weeks.  Oncologist wanted chemo first but I asked for 2nd opinion oncotype dx test.  Now have to wait for those results.  I'm positive that I will have low score.  Rads now set to begin Feb 10th.  Guess I can start a February thread.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012

Mostlysew you are so right. I am so Thankful it is not cancer. But kinda down because I have to deal with something else.... Trying to look on the bright side as I go to the sleep lab tonight. (fun fun)   Deep inside I wish they would leave me alone. This to shall pass.

Elizabeth Thank you.     Kate thinking of you...

Shelley Thinking of you and Praying for good results tomorrow... 

Marilyn and kingjr sorry you have a delay with RADS. It sucks. I hope you get everything worked out so you can just get it done.. Hang in there!!! We are all going through so much. I wish it could be different. I hate Cancer. lol

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Irw I hope the sleep lab is not too annoying tonight!  Thinking of you my friend.

Hoping to hear from Kate and make sure all is well. 

Marilyn and kingjr.... so sorry about the machine malfunction and another delay.  Almost, almost!  I know you will get there soon and then the healing can really begin.  king hoping for a nice low score!

Merilee...black cats are so special.  They just seem to have added personality!

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you Shelly, Merilee, Irw, and Janis. I just got home. The surgery was 6 and a half hours, and then recovery. I am feeling quite sore and dehydrated, after no liquids for so many hours, but I will be ok. My doctor prescribed morphine, because codeine makes me vomit, but I am hoping I won't have to take anything that strong. Again thank you all for your support..

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2012

Kate- So glad you are home and that all went well. Hooray!

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012

Kate, glad you are home!  Take it easy and rest and recover.

kingjr, ditto Janis.  I hope your score is nice and low and you are done in a jiff.  

Marilyn, sorry that you are feeling low.  I had the same experience after my second surgery.  My surgeon was elated that he "got it all."  When I got out of the post-op appointment, they stopped and handed me the appointment cards for my followup appointment, my appointment with the RO and my appointment with the MO.  I got in the car and sobbed!  If I'm done with cancer, why do I have three oncologists?!  I'm learning to appreciate them, though!

Lisa, so sorry that you are heading for more surgery.  (((hugs!)))

Mostly, will be thinking about you Monday.  

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2012

Kate, glad you are home and doing well.  You have been on my mind.  I have been away to Florida for an extended period of time.  Just trying to forget for awhile.  Glad your surgery is over and you are home.

Janis, glad for your good reports, and Elizabeth too.  Lots of scares while I have been gone.

Welcome to all of you new ladies who are now done with rads.   

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2012

Kate,

Glad to hear you are home. Wow 6-1/2 hours is a long time. Please take care. Am sending you prayers and love.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Kate, I am glad your surgery is over.  What a long day!  Be good to yourself tonight.  If you need the pain meds, please take them.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

GiGil, Welcome back.  We missed you.