Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2012

Hi Janis!  How nice that you've been enjoying family... I just wanted to raise the question of lymphadema with you.  For the first four weeks of my swelling everyone thought it was infection.  Finally the RO decided that it was breast lymphadema.  It's a little harder to recognize, but the lymphadema therapist confirmed breast and trunk lymphadema.  Well under control now with minimal intervention.  Hope that's all it is for you.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2012

Hi Sab!  Of course lymphodemia has crossed my mind.  Since i have an appointment on the 24th with my BS I am hoping he can either clarify that or tell me whatever this is, that it is normal.  It has to be something as sore as it is.  Just more SE's and I know we are all weary of them.  Thanks for letting me know yours is under control.  Always of course....hope. 

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2012

I am having surgery again next Thursday. The surgery is for a breast lift, and removing large implants and putting in smaller one's. It is not dangerous surgery, but I am a little scared. It is a 4 and a half hour surgery. I had the implants put in on Dec. 7, and my breasts have been hurting ever since. Reopening the cancerous breast scar seems like it will be even more painful, but I have no choice. I am miserable with 275 cc implants and I am putting in 175cc instead.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012

Ugh!  I just received the dreaded letter in the mail from my mammography center saying "additional views" are needed of the left breast, the one that had BC.  It had been a week since my mammogram so I thought things were all right.  It is probably nothing, but they already took so my views last week.  Of course, my anxiety level is through the roof.

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Oh Elizabeth I am so sorry!  I hate all these scares.  Hope you have some Ativan left.  I know how hard this is, hopefully they just want to clarify something or get a better view.  So sorry you have yet more waiting ahead.........I'll wait with you!

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2012

Wow, all you brave ladies help me. I am just a month out and still hurting and very tired.

But that "poisoned feeling" is the ickiest of all and it is going away, but sooo slowly, almost like sheer, ghost layers of death lifting off me, letting me feel alive again.

I would love to hear how long before the painful breast part subsided for others. I am still taking meds. I can function on them okay, but am looking forward to the day I can function without them.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth when I had my 6 mouth mammogram I had to do it 3 different times. I had to wait while they read them. It was unreal. They finally decided mine was scar tissue. Hoping and Praying everything goes well for you....

I still have pain in my breast. Not sure when it will go away. Sharp stabbing pains every now and then. But it is nothing like it was right out of Rads... I also still get tired easily. It does get better with time...

Monday I have to have the liver US.I have high liver enzymes... These test can play with your mind. errrrrr I hate feeling like this...

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

Irw333......Cancer is the gift that keeps on giving it, isn't it?  Will be thinking of you Monday and hopefully everything will be okay with the liver US. 

So far I don't have a 6 month mammogram scheduled.  My MO scheduled my first mammo for the one year mark.  Funny how they are all different.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth....I'm so sorry about the recall. I do hope this is just scar tissue as its your first mammo since surgery, right? I'm expecting the same thing once I get to that point. I do hope you can get in early next week so you don't have to wait long,

I've finally gotten scheduled for my ultra sound and immediate biopsy for the 23rd. I'm still hopeful that this is just scar tissue or a lymph node being silly as I only finished rads Nov. 2nd. This waiting stuff is certainly hard. I did renew my Ativan prescription!

Janise, sorry you're in the waiting game again also. I do think the swollen breast is probably a bit of lymphadema. Do you know any of the gentle massage? Does that help? I have to do it occasionally as I will get a bit of swelling. Maybe you're playing with your niece too hard? Is she the one that did that great tattoo? Was that even you? Loosing my mind here.

Congrats to all the graduates....hang in there, it does get better. One afternoon you'll realize all you've accomplished that day and not felt drained even once. There are ups and down, just give your body time to heal. You've been thru LOTS, mentally as well as physically.

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth, I am so sorry you have this aggravation. I will pray that everything is ok for you.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Thank you for your kind thoughts, everyone.  It helps so much. I have an appointment for the recheck on Monday so it least I will not have to wait long.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it is just scar tissue.  We are all going through so much.  Janis, I hope you learn the cause of the swelling soon so that you can feel better.  Irw33, I will be thinking of you on Monday and hoping your liver US will turn out fine.  Mostly Sew, best of luck on the 23rd with your US and biopsy.  Katehudson, I hope your surgery will go well.  Like Janis said, cancer is the gift that keeps on giving.  Yes, I still have some ativan.

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you Elizabeth. How sweet of you to think of me when you have this going on. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too, that it is just scar tissue.

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited January 2012

I just want all of you to know that although I'm the newbie, I'm thinking of you too.  My first rad appointment is Jan 23rd, course is 6 weeks.  I'm going to keep checking this thread since I'm getting very sound advice.  Will post of progress and any questions I may have.  Everyone, mind over matter is your healing power.  I works for me.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited January 2012

Wow, a lot going on here all at once. Hang in there ladies, I will be thinking of all of you. Elizabeth remember that  80% of call backs are nothing.

Cancer is the nightmare that keeps on scaring-Don't forget to write to Washington on the 23rd. It is time we kick cancer's ass to the curb once and for all!

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

MostlySew...nothing wrong with your mind at all.  Yes, this is my niece who had the beautiful tattoo done in my honor.  You remember very well.  I am sorry you are having problems as well.  Your appointment is one day before mine.  I'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear how things went.

Kate...good luck with your surgery the 19th.  That is my DH's birthday so it is a great day! 

kingjr66.....Going in with a positive attitude will help and good luck during rads.  I am one of the rare ones who never had any anxiety at all about them.  Going daily didn't bother me.  I hope you have an easy course with minimul skin irritation.  Just use lots of lotion.  See what the techs recommend, often they give samples of some good kinds.  Several people mentioned emu oil working very well.  Much luck on your journey.  You know we'll be here alongside you!

Last evening Renee and i went into my bedroom to watch a "chick flick" together.  It was early, just after dinner.  I think I fell asleep in five minutes!  I had been cold and got under the covers fully dressed, thick socks and even a heavy sweatshirt.  I woke up at 2:30!  Wow.  The odd part was I wasn't even burning up.  I fell back asleep and slept soundly until 6:00.  That is so not like me but I have had a busy...albeit fun week with her here.  I just feel bad I deserted her on her last night.  Her plane leaves at 1:00 today.  I am glad my Broncos play tonight so I have a nice diversion!

Big hugs of hope everyone!

• shelley2011
    shelley2011 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2012

Hi ladies, hoping you will allow me to join up!  Had last rad last Wednesday.  Skin held up well, and tiredness has not really interfered with work nor play.

Elizabeth, you are making me think of every time I got called back for additional views.  Got so that I just sort of ignored the anxiety because it always came back clean.  Clean, that is, until last March when the crap hit the fan.  I can't imagine the worry you must be going thru and please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited January 2012

Justmejanis:  thank you, yes having a positive attitude counts.  That's me.  I keep living, that's what's important.  I think I will have a better than average time with what's ahead.  Well off to stock up on those creams/lotions/bras/tees.  Will keep in touch.

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2012

Hi Ladies Im new to this thread too, I just started Rads Thursday the 12th.... I dont know what to expect... I have 5 weeks of it.. Can Anyone let me know what Im in for with this... Thanks a bunch

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Thank you for the kind wishes, everyone.  I feel loved and that helps so much. Shelley 2011, I always got called back, too, for additional views.  I started wanting to make the call back appointment at the same time I made the appointment for the regular mammogram becaue I knew I would need it.  I was just hoping this time would be different.

Welcome, kingjr66 and Terry71.  I wish you the best of luck on your rads journey.  We are here for you with lots of information and caring. 

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth, so sorry you are being called back for more views!  Keeping you close in mind and prayers over the weekend while you wait.  Hopefully they won't make you wait for news when you go back.  Do keep in mind we've had lots of work done and there is lots of scar tissue so they have to be extra careful.  Hugs!!!

Mostly Sew, keeping you in my prayers too as you go for your ultrasound and biopsy.  I've got a swollen place under my arm that my MO is watching.  I had it before radiation so I'm just ignoring it for now and taking my letrozole religiously.  Yes, cancer is the gift that just keeps on giving.  Praying that you get really good results and can relax!!

Janis, so glad you had a good time with your niece.  What a special treat!

Kingjr and Terry, so glad you are joining us, though I wish you didn't have to.  Terry, if you really want to know what you might be in for, you could read some of the radiation threads that were posted as we went through radiation.  I think many of us here now were in August and Sept and November, 2011?  I will say, though, that radiation is different for everyone, so you will see things that will scare you and things that will reassure you!

Kate, wishing you so much luck with your surgery.  So sorry you are having to go through it again.

Blessings to all of you,

Steph 

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you stephn, Elizabeth, and Janis for your good wishes. I hope this will be my last surgery. This is my 4th operation since July 2011.

• truebff
    edited January 2012

JustmeJanis,

Thanks for reminding me about the BRONCOS!!!! Yippie! Go Denver!

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

truebff......I don't find too many Denver fans so glad I reminded you.  This will be a challenge for them.  All our fingers and paws are crossed here.

Kingjr and Terry, welcome!  Again sorry we have to meet like this. Terry I totally agree with Steph.  Go back and read a lot of our older posts.  I am in three threads as I started rads in late August and finished in early October.  Remember too rads are different for everyone and don't let some of the stories scare you.  So many sail through it with few issues.  We all had different experiences but today we are all pretty much recovering well.  Hang in there!

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Justmejanis,

It was john Elway who made me -an artist and one who definitely used to hold her nose during Sunday games!- fall for football back in the eighties when I was skiing every day and he did those ski commercials in a car cause his contract wouldn't let him ski. He was so charming, so involved with good and kind causes, and so awesome to watch play!  Oh yeah!

Between John and my second husband, who explains everything in such a non-condensending and including-me-in way, that I have grown to enjoy this man sport enormously. But The Broncos will always have my heart in pro-football, although, wow, the new Detorit QB is awesome like John Elwayand never gives up and is a gentleman too.  Go Broncos!

• justmejanis
    edited January 2012

I lived in Denver for almst 20 years, then Wyoming, so always was able to follow all the games.  I hear all the positive but then negative feedback about tebow.  Sometimes I have to remind my DH of a young new QB that everyone in Denver hated his first couple years.  Man named Elway!  Tebow's numbers for his first six games are actually better than Elway's were his first six.  I have no idea why there is such a love/hate thing going for Tebow, but we need to give this young man a chance.  Go Broncos is right! 

• shelley2011
    shelley2011 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2012

Sorry Denver fans, but I live in Cleveland where hating the Broncos come second only to hating the Steelers!  Well, maybe third, we love to hate the Ravens too....LOL

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Haha! I was traveling / moving from Vail, Colo to Vermont during the long-ago Elway led infamous Bronco-Browns Playoff game and was in a bar and grill next to our hotel alone (my husband and daughter went ahead of me back after dinner, but I stayed to watch the game and have a margaritta) in Ohio and I was the ONLY person in the room -and getting Baaaad Glares !!! - who was rooting openly for Denver!! It was FUN to win too! Yippie! (Maybe it was good thing I was a woman in that place! Not really - all in good fun!)

• FilterLady
    FilterLady Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2012

I'm looking forward to being done with my treatments on Thursday!  It cannot come fast enough.  I've only had minor problems and will be glad not to have to come to the cancer center every day!  I can sleep late (I never sleep late, lol), stay in my jammies longer, rofl, etc....

This site was very comforting me since I was diagnosed and wanted to read as much as possible about breast cancer, treatments, etc.

The best suggestion by far was to start a binder to keep all my medical records together.  Even the people at the cancer center are impressed by my binder!

I hope you all have a healthy new year!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2012

Welcome, kingjr66 and Terry71 and shelley2011, and congrats shelley for being finished with rads!!!!

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited January 2012

Let's see if I can catch up from the weekend ...

Janis - thanks for asking ... I'm doing well.  Trying to learn to live with this new short hair.  It's hard ... I get sad every time I see my reflection.  Feeling positive and good otherwise (except for the SEs from Arimidex, but whatever right?)  I have bouts of trunk lymphedema too - hope your doc can confirm and offer some relief.

Kate - keep checking in to remind us your surgery is coming - this Thursday (1/19) right?  We will be here for you!

Elizabeth and Mostly Sew - aren't call backs the worst?  Seems we will never get away from the scares :(  Hang in there!

And finally to the newbies - welcome to those about to start and those who just finished!  It's so great how we support each other on this journey!