Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited March 2014

April congrats on the grandbaby.  Joan the sun is just lovely here.  I have been enjoying the  Flower and Garden show at EPCOT.  CIimdy, hope your hubby's surgery goes well.  I am so glad you are taking care of yourself in the process.  Wyo love your pic.  What a peaceful setting.  Kate, hope you get some relief soon.  You have been through quite enough!    I have been walking everyday.  I got my replacement Fitbit today.  The company replaced my old one, but not with the Force, which is the most expensive one and has great readouts. It is the one I bought initially.   I got the Flex,  I am just happy to be back in business.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2014

April I too barely remember you mentioning a new and wasn't it first grandchild. How wonderful Nothing is better than grandchildren.

So sorry your hubby had to go through withdrawal. OMG it is the worst. My doctor is definitely going to set up a plan to taper me. Cold turkey is out.

Finally I have some good news. I went to see my surgeon today. He did a cystoscopy( procedure to see my bladder), and he said my bladder looks perfect, no sign of a tumor. I was so happy I cried. He said that this additional leg swelling is due to inflammation I got during surgery. He said that it will gradually come down in 2-3 months. Of course I had swelling before the surgery too, so chemo will take care of that.

I feel so blessed to finally have a good day. My hairdresser friend Joanna came here today to color my hai,r before my doctor appointment. She said my hair looked fuller, and I should go to my appointment withour a wig. I was a little uncomfortable, because I thought my hair looked too thin, but I did it anyway. I have a darling 26 year old neighbor who came to ask me something this evening. She said I love your hair. She knew I had to be wearing wigs. I told her this was my hair, and she said no way. She thought it really looked good. Joanna said that with extensions my hair will look the same as it always did. I am so thrilled about this.

• DawnCT
    DawnCT Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2014

Kate - So happy for you! That is fabulous news!  I'm also glad you are feeling better.  You deserve it!  I hope everyday gets better and better.  

Cindy - Thank you for the hydration tip! I will definitely drink more water when I feel tired.  

The sun was shining today and it was an amazing 60 degrees.  I felt better as soon as I got out of bed this morning and saw the sunshine!

Janis - Is your test tomorrow?  I hope you get some reassurance that all is well.

Dawn

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2014

Kate, glad you have some positive news - a clear bladder -- that's wonderful.  And hope for the swelling....hang in there.  And your own hair looking good - icing!
    I am also a Bachelor watcher...so entertaining to watch the social dilemmas.   That guy has some big issues. 

Gigi, Florida sounds great.  I am going to Tampa area with DD soon for Yankees game.
    I love Disney and Epcot but I don't know how to do it without a kid.  Seems like you have figured it out!

(((Janis))) thinking of you and hoping for good results.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2014

HI all

Kate- good news all around- so glad you are feeling better and looking better- I think having a good hair day is a really good boost for your morale and great news on a bladder that is clean as a whistle!!

Funny story today- went to the airport for my interview to get trusted traveler status with homeland security.  The agent asks me "have you ever been arrested or in jail"- I didn't even think about it just said "not yet"  the guy laughed and said "you are thinking positive!!" 

That funny episode did NOT make up for the over 2hrs it took to get home tonight on my nemesis BART- every day its something- thank good DH made eggplant and salad for dinner

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Dawn. Joan. and Wyo thanks for the support

Joan glad you are going to Tampa. Seeing a Yankee's game with your daughter sounds like fun

Wyo after aggravation dinner prepared by your husband with comforting food like eggplant and salad sounds great. So glad hubby is giving you tlc

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Janis, thinking about you today. Positive vibes coming your way. Post as soon as you get home so we can get this party going on.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2014

Kate thank you so much for thinking of me today.  I am so lucky to have so many cheerleaders here.  Hoping we will really be celebrating afterward.  We'll have a group toast to NORMAL test results.

I am so happy you got good news from the doctor.  You needed that!  I know how much you dread having chemo, but hopefully it knocks that awful leg swelling out and you can resume a normal routine again.  I have high hopes, I know you can do it.

Joan it is good to see you again, I know you have a really hectic schedule so it is nice when you are able to pop in if even just to say hello.  I always enjoy seeing you here.

Have a great day everyone.  Please feel free to hop into my pocket.  I'll be careful to shield you from all that radiation while I am being slammed!  The ultrasound is so much easier. Anyway I am a bit apprehensive so all of you stuffed and squirming in my pocket will be very reassuring.  :)

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2014

Hi Janis,

I'm zipping in to your pocket now.  It sure is lucky you've got the warrior coat as it has nice big pockets, and its proven to do wonderful things.  It's already warmed up from Kate's fabulous results and great hair day yesterday.  We'll be careful to leave a few goodies for you.  Then I'm zipping off to a 4 day girl getaway with quilting and knitting and sitting in the sun on the deck overlooking the river.  Forecast is for beautiful sun although very little water in the river.  Hope the river otters haven't gotten stranded.  I'll check back in on Saturday night when I get home.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2014

Joan - I had to comment on your post given you are a NYY fan. I live in Tennessee and most of the baseball fans here are St. Louis Cardinals fans. Yuk. One of my brothers is a fanatic Yanks fan. He has been to the old and new stadium and goes every year to Tampa for Fantasy baseball. He gets to play against some of the NYY greats. It costs 5K but it all goes to charity. He can afford it he owns his own business. Anyway he and my sister in law found a foreclosed house in Tampa and bought it. Its on Ana Maria Island(sp)...think that's right. Haven't been yet. Anyway they remodeled it and just love living right on the ocean and even have a swimming pool. Insurance is almost prohibitive there though and they have to find a new carrier almost every year. Still they love having a go to place on the beach. My family have been NYY fans dating back to the Mickey Mantle days. Okay I am dating myself...haha. Still have a great time. Hopefully this is their year!

Kate, glad your are feeling better. I have been following all of your posts in particular yours because you are suffered so much and still sound so upbeat and optimistic when you have every right to whine...I would and have.

Diane

• justmejanis
    edited March 2014

Sew enjoy your retreat with friends.  That sounds a whole lot more fun than getting my poor, already sore breast manipulated and shoved into the slammer!  I hope Kate is bringing margaritas!  I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing time on your trip.  Enjoy it all!  :)

• gigil
    edited March 2014

Janis, jumping into your pocket today too.  Kate wonderful news and a good hair day.  I am very glad for you!  SEW enjoy your retreat.  You very much deserve it.   Edwards your brother and sister in law sound like they are enjoying life.  Good for them.  Joan, glad you are getting away to Tampa.  We have gone to a pre-season game here at Disneys Wide World of Sports -  Atlanta Braves.  My husband is a Minnesota Twins fan.  The last several years have been a little disappointing for them.  Tampa is about 70 miles of heavy traffic from here.  As far as Disney without kids?  We have tons of fun.  We eat in great restaurants, explore gift shops, watch street performances, go to movies where dinner is served, sit in the sun and people watch, and go to attractions that kids don't love - like the animatronics.  Right now there are rock concerts from the 60's and 70's playing every night.  We went to The Guess Who last week.  This week will be Gary Lewis and the Playboys.  Soon it will be Herman's Hermits.  My DH is going back to work on Saturday.  I am thinking of joining a group our age who gets together to walk around Disney World and they also go out for meals and concerts.  Next month, my 23 year old granddaughter is coming for her birthday week and my daughter and her family are coming for Easter.  We are going to did eggs on the patio.  Good times.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2014

Such wonderful news, Kate.  A happy bladder means a happy Kate.  Also great that he's reiterated that time will take care of the swelling, and he doesn't seem unhappy with your slow progress on that front. I'll bet cutting out those lengthy sittings in front of your desktop will start to have an effect. 

You'll love your new iPad or laptop or whatever.  I can lie down, prop my laptop on my tummy, and type away.

Wriggling away in that pocket, Janis.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

Good News Yall!

Janis - squishing into your pocket...ha what a rowdy spirited radiant crowd is here!  Fingers&toes crossed...xo:)

Kate - yippee, a pretty bladde! Such great news...and the hair...always glam:) tears of joy...celebrating:)))

GiGil -Ooo who, fun times:) luv all the great goodies but oldies concerts...happy dancing...you will have no problem getting 15000 steps in each day! Post pics:)

Brookside - luv my iPad! Favorite app? Is the snow headed your way if is Spring sliding in...soon:)

Bunkie - thinking of you! Tulips in bloom...sending sunshine warmth!

Sew - what a fun retreat...craft, river, good friends and new friends...enjoy:)

Diane - we all have our fav baseball teams heros...when it works we do angle game for BDays and then Disney :) peanuts&cracker jacks...7th ending stretch...

Wyo - always thinking positive ...you are our ER girl!  Bart...ha I got stranded in Oakland one summer...strike!

Dawn - hydrating:) soaking in the bathtub doesn't count so drink up!

Josie - yeah, all is well...Spring break plans? Job search!

April - have you bought out toysrus and jamboree!  Shutterfly great tool to tell your story of waiting to meet you precious GKs,

Ok, yesterday I was the only one to show up for Pilates class...oh my...so private 1on1 time and on reformer...what a contraption...she made it look so easy and graceful...shocked when my dancer lean trainer shared she's 71 W??? Got to work on breathing...too shallow.....graceful I'm not! But she is incentive...whoa!

Shout out to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• mapgirl12
    mapgirl12 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2014

Janis,

My Dad's calf would swell up with gout.  Real cherry juice takes care of gout.  One of my science friends explained gout cells look like a little ball with spikes sticking out on all sides.  The cherry juice either smooths them out or eliminates them (I forgot).  It is so sad that the VA is so poor.  Doesn't the VA offer local doctors if the drive is over a certain number of miles/hours?

I am in a support group for blood clotting disorders.  One of the individuals was sent to physical therapy to address the swelling calf.  Plus when I had my second blood clot there was no redness or warmth in my leg.

Kate,

Any organs swelling below your waist can cause your legs to swell up -even a menstral cycle.  The fear is continued swelling pushes on your veins that deliver the blood back to your lungs and heart can cause a blood clot.  I had a mis-diagnosed blood clot when I was pregnant (I gained a ton of weight).  The doctor pulled me from work which helped because I was not sitting a desk 8 hours a day.  After the baby was born the clot was still there and caused other issues. 

The venous scans today are phenomenal.  They produce an image of your vein to see if there are any blockages.  You can also see which way the blood is moving.  That is what every hospital should use to check for/rule out blood clots. 

One last thing…I promise!  Generic medications are required to have the exact same dose of the medication as the brand.  Generics can use a different chemical to "house" the medication.  Those chemicals can cause other side effects.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2014

Janis, I have my fingers and toes crossed for good news from you very soon!  And I also hope your husband's leg improves.  You and Gemini and any other "sweat sisters"--I thought of you yesterday when I was teaching a class and my face got so sweaty that I had to use the side of my fist as a squeegee!  So gross!  I've never been a sweaty person, so this is really strange. 

Kate,
    I loved hearing your news! My mom had bladder cancer and she frets
    every time she has a cystoscopy. Your clean cysto is a beautiful,
    beautiful thing. Great news about your leg swelling too, and fuller
    beautiful hair too--great day!

mapgirl, that's so useful! Thank you very much for all that good info.

GiGiL,
    I love your description of grown-up fun at Disney, and I love thinking
    about you being in Florida this winter. Wyo, I'm going to look at your
    picture whenever I need it. We already had a couple of feet of snow on
    the ground, just beginning to melt with recent 40-something temps a
    couple of times. But today we're getting slammed with another giant
    snowstorm: 6", then a layer of ice, then another 10"-14" or something
    crazy. Short day at school today, should have been a snow day.
    Tomorrow I suspect we won't have school, or maybe a delayed start. This
    school year is a mess! Brookside's getting it too, as bad as me or
    worse. Bunkie, did you get this one?

• justmejanis
    edited March 2014

Good news ladies.  Both the mammogram and the ultrasound were normal.  Happy dance!  Now we can really party.  She did say I have some small cysts in the left breast and she said they can be very painful.

Thanks all of you for being in my pocket.  I am not feeling well (very sad tummy) so will write again soon.

XOXOXOXOXO

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Diane, Gigil, Sew, Brookside, Cindy and Mapgirl thanks for the support

Sew have a blast on your 4 day getaway

Mapgirl, numerois ultrasounds always ok thank God

Janis are you home yet? Pitchers of Margaritas are out along with chicken quesadilla

Bunkie thinking of you. You are too quiet lately

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2014

Thank you all for your well wishes. I have been reading all of your posts. Glad the weather for some is getting better, we had a big snowstorm today but looks like it will be 50 on Friday so I guess its now short lived, thank Goodness!

I noticed some were having hot flashes, they are horrible!! After removing my ovaries I went about 5 weeks and kept waiting for one, I didn't know what to expect but I sure do now. I am also nervous on what they will be like moving into Spring and Summer. One thing that has helped me a lot at night is I bought the "chillow" pillow. I saw that it was endorsed on Hyster- sisters website and was surprised. I bought 2 as they were buy one get one free just pay shipping. I keep it next to me at night. When I am awoken I lay my face on it and its instantly helps. Sometimes I just rest my arm on it and it seems to really have helped the worst of the night time sweating. I sent the 2nd one to my work buddy in New Orleans and she loves it too. Here is the link- they are inexpensive so you might try it. Hope you get some relief as I have. During the day I take my cardigan off, put it back on, take it off, it sucks. This estrogen or lack of now is really the gift that keeps giving!

https://www.chillow.com/CCDR0201/16.0000/Index.dtm...

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

Janis, so happy your tests were all clear.Yay!! Now we can celebrate.

GIGIL sounds like you must be pretty close to Disney.Must be nice.I guess you know what times to go to avoid the crowds?

Sew, enjoy your trip.Sounds fun.

Diane, I'm a Cardinals fan.Sorry.Don't hold it against meScared

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2014

yay, Janis!  Yay, Kate!

Diane, I'm also a cardinals fan like Josie. Grew up in St Louis so it's in my blood. This past World Series was tough for me, as I live in Boston and am married to a Sox fan. 

RunFree -- sweat sisters indeed!  I posted this on an effexor thread but I'll recap here. I decided to try low-dose effexor ... Took the first pill two nights ago at bedtime. Yesterday I felt awful, woke up with a headache that developed into a migraine. Also felt dizzy. I know that one day is very early to feel side effects, but ten years ago I felt the same thing right away when I tried another SSRI, Zoloft. So no effexor for me. Lemon -- hello!  I'm going to try that chillow. I never understood how it worked, but it makes sense to have nearby as a cooling pad as you described. I usually don't start out the night feeling hot, so for that reason I haven't tried the chillow. 

Hope everyone is feeling great!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

Yippee JANIS!!!  Good News...pocket party :D

• gigil
    edited March 2014

Janis, so glad to hear your good news!!  Run,  thanks for the kind words.  I feel kind of guilty being here in this nice weather with everyone else suffering with ice and snow and winter.  We waited a lot of years to do this.  I am really glad this year is the year we made the big move.  Josie, we are in Celebration, which is a Disney built town.  It is right at the back door of World drive.  I absolutely love it that I can go over there anytime and take a walk or have a bite, or just enjoy seeing other people on vacation.  There used to be a time when you could find this place not crowded, but that just doesn't happen anymore.  For a country in financial crisis, this place is always crawling with people.  Of course, some of them are from other countries, but lots of Americans on spring break too.  Kate, you just keep getting better.  Time will help.  That is good.  Happy time just hearing good news from Janis.  Yeah!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

Gigil,

Wow, sounds kind of neat if you don't mind the crowds.Is it noisy?Or is there a kind of buffer between you and Disney?

• justmejanis
    edited March 2014

Gigil, you have absolutely no reason to feel guilty Missy!  You and your DH earned this, so enjoy every minute of the warmth, sunshine, and new lifestyle.  Thanks so much for your support!

Lemon, I am glad to hear the Chillow.  I have seen the commercials for them.  Believe it or not I was planning on getting something similar for my dog.  Poor Murphy, he is an older Golden Retriever and the older he gets the worse the heat bothers him.  I was in Bed, Bath and Beyond last week and they have a cooling mat for dogs that is similar.  Pricey, but maybe I will see if the Chillow is more reasonable and large enough for him to benefit from it.  Poor baby.  I hate the heat too.  I always get 20% off coupons from there so that helps for sure.

Kate, thanks so much for hosting the party.  The chicken quesadillas were wonderful, and the margaritas even better!  :)  I hope you had a better day today.

RunFree, I hate that when my face starts pouring!  Ugh.....and it happens frequently lately.

Josie, thanks for all the good thoughts and jumping in my pocket!

Gemini that is interesting about the Effexor.  I am very headache prone so that would make me pause.  My MO mentioned the Effexor but my primary has me on Paxil.  It helps with anxiety and depression, MO did not want to change it until I talk to her.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Janis so glad all is well. MMMM the margaritas are delicious, if I must say so myself

Gigil don't feel guilty about the weather. We are having a heat wave and I hate it. It was over 80 here today, which is very warm for Santa Monica. I would gladly trade for weather in the 50's or 60;s

Bunkie I hope all is ok

• gigil
    edited March 2014

Thanks ladies.  This year after my dad died, my husband and I looked at each other and said, "if not now, then when?"  I am 64, and he is 61 (cougar).  Ha! Ha!  My mom and dad pinched pennies their whole lives and didn't afford themselves many luxuries.  Dad left it to me and my three siblings.  They had no debt.  I used my small inheritance to furnish and outfit our apartment here.  Dad would have liked that.  We save for retirement, and keep debt down too.  This should be a good time of life.  I do feel this is the best thing we have done for ourselves in a very long time.  Josie, we are about five miles off property.  It is a small town with residential streets like they were when we were growing up.  There are small shops and some great restaurants, locally owned.  There is a natural healing hospital centered around nature.  It is quaint and a step back in time.  It almost seemed too perfect at first.  Now that it has been around for awhile, it seems more real.  Kate we have some warm days here too, but lots of 70's too.  I think all in all we have both had a much healthier winter.  Janis you will sleep much easier tonight.  Kate it sounds like things are going to improve for you with time.  Glad your hair is looking good.  Rest well everyone.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2014

Gigi, back in the mid/ late 90s I was on a business trip near Disney. I had some free time, so a colleague and I took a cab ride tour of Celebration.  It was very cute ... Kind of reminded me of The Truman Show. Love the concept of a vibrant town center within walking distance of homes. Good for you and your young husband!  ;-)

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2014

Quick high five for both Janis and Kate!

Am at work so can't stay and play but wanted to say hello and congrats to our two with worries now put to rest.

Also, gonna order me a "chillow pillow" for sure! Bye bye night sweats! Aromasin is horrible for this too, but thankfully mostly at night only.

Florida Gigil...am jealous! We are back in the "teens" after two teaser days in the 50's! Arghhh! Spring is NEVER coming this year it seems. It was snowing a bit when I left for work this morning!

Ok, stay sane my friends and Cindy, sounds like you have your work cut out for you trying to keep up with the Peter Pan instructor...tee hee!

xoxo

Oh and GO NYY!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2014

I fell asleep in middle of a post last night...

Run, Brookside, how's the snow?  We got nothing.  Cold but not as cold as you must be.
    Janis, doing happy dance for you....so glad.
    Gigi, it sounds like a true fantasy!  You deserve it. And it sounds like children are welcome there?
    Maybe I'll do a Disney-without-kids and get some ideas on where to go...although, I do love the Aerosmith roller coaster.
    I have a lot of reading to do....back later.
    Hugs all around

(((Kate)))