Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2014

We had half an inch of snow topped by an inch of freezing rain.  Took me half an hour to clear my windshield.  Today it was bitter cold with brutal wind.  I wanna go visit Gigil and see Cinderella.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2014

Weird, Brookside!  We got about 12" of snow, then some rain that froze, then a bit more snow.  Today my kids had a delayed start, NOT a snow day, which made one of them furious.  I had no curtailed hours at all, which meant I had to head out pretty early when the roads were still a mess.  Fortunately I'm very close to my campus.  

I am coming with you to see GiGiL and Cinderella, but how will we tell them apart? :)

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

Brookside, and RunFree,  Sorry you got the snow and ice.

It was like 60° and beautiful here today. 

My day started out wonderful I took my oldest daughter shopping for a baby shower gift for her cousin.And then I took her out to lunch at Applebees.

We had a neighbor and good friend die suddenly the other day.This lady lived next door to my parents since I was like 12 yrs old.She always had advice or just her philosophy on life.And she loved working in the yard so if you were having a hard day or just needed to talk she would always lend an ear.

Her memorial was beautiful and my parents, brother and youngest daughter all attended.

They were meeting afterwards at this restaurant and we almost went.Well we should have.I had a nightmare in the kitchen tonight.

Never ever add anything cold to a hot Pyrex glass dish.Oops!! It exploded in pieces all  over my oven So the dinner was ruined.Then I stepped on a piece of hot glass barefoot.Ouch.He's then got a small piece in my foot.And apparently had a tiny piece on my hand as I was hopping to the bathroom with my cut foot.Because when I grabbed the wall to steady myself well I jammed it into my hand.

Needless to say I ended up having to buy little Caesar's tonight.Pizza Pizza oh and crazy bread too!! I was done in that kitchen that's for sure.

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Josie, what a dramatic chain of events!  Did you think you might have to go to the ER to get rid of the glass?  That kind of thing really scares me.  What was it you added to the Pyrex dish?  I am not sure I would have thought that through, either.  Sorry about your parents' neighbor.  It's so hard to lose people who were just always there.

• josie123
    edited March 2014

RunFree, no I already got the glass out and I'm fine could of been a lot worse. It just looked like a scene from a scarey movie.Bloody footprints and all.That's why I was trying to hop on one foot to the bathroom.I had added some cold BBQ sauce

Straight from the fridge.Then I thought I should add a little water to the sauce and I guess the cold water and the hot glass was what caused it too explode.I'm just lucky my face wasn't over the pan .I guess lesson learned.I'm still finding tiny shards of glass on the kitchen floor.I just didn't have the energy to scrub it really good.Tommorow maybe.I'm exhausted.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2014

HI friends!

Wow on the pyrex explosion- I have been reading about this phenomenon as I recently ditched my plastic storage containers for all glass.  Glad it was a minor "hit"

Fitbit update- I did not see anyone note that the force is RECALLED- I did not turn mine in as I like it but apparently its a skin sensitivity issue? I am posting the letter from the CEO here as I know some of us have these little devices. 

A letter from the CEO

FEBRUARY 20, 2014

TO THE FITBIT FORCE COMMUNITY,

I co-founded Fitbit in 2007 to help people lead healthier, more active lives. We have been thrilled by your response to our products, and are committed to customer satisfaction. Late last year, we began selling Fitbit Force, our most advanced activity tracker. Recently, some Force users have reported skin irritation. While only 1.7% of Force users have reported any type of skin irritation, we care about every one of our customers. On behalf of the entire Fitbit team, I want to apologize to anyone affected.

From the beginning, we have taken this matter very seriously. We hired independent labs and medical experts to conduct a thorough investigation. Here’s what we know:

• Independent test results have not found any issues with the battery or electrical systems.
    • Test results show that users are likely experiencing allergic contact dermatitis.
    • All Force materials are commonly used in consumer products. However, some users may be reacting to the nickel present in the surgical grade stainless steel used in the device. Other users are likely experiencing an allergic reaction to the materials used in the strap or the adhesives used to assemble the product.

We have now learned enough to take further action. We have stopped selling Force and have decided to conduct a voluntary recall. We are offering a refund directly to consumers for full retail price. For additional information related to the recall, we have set up a dedicated page on our website and a call center at 888-656-6381.

To our Force community, rest assured we’re working on our next-generation tracker and will announce news about it soon.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support.

Sincerely,
    James Park
    CEO & Co-Founder

Past Communication

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2014

I have an appointment with my nurse in the morning. She is coming to give me an enema and to teach me how to use Relistor. That is the medication that I inject in my abdoment to counter act the constipation I get from Oxycodone. Then in the afternoon I have an appointment with my medical oncologist. I want him to give me a plan to gradually quit Oxycodone.

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2014

Well, Josie, many years ago, I learned the same thing, in the same unfortunate way.  Isn't it nice to know that your kids, thanks to your excellent (albeit unintentional) teaching skills, will never have to learn how not to shatter their own pyrex and pottery!  And I'd vacuum to corral all those teeny shards and slivers before scrubbing the floor.

So glad the nurse is coming with the magic needle, Kate. I suppose you can expect results tomorrow?  Hoorah!  Hip, Hip, Hooray!  And Yippee!

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Nurse came and enema did not completely clean me out. I am still constipated. She is coming back Sunday to hopefully clean me out. She didn't use the magical needle either because she thought I wiuldn't be able to make my doctor's appointment. It is about that the medication could work in 4 minutes, or 5 hours , so you need to be home by a toilet. Looks like I will have to endure discomfort for 48 morfe hours.

• mapgirl12
    mapgirl12 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2014

Kate,

I am so sorry.  My prayers are with you!

• josie123
    edited March 2014

Oh Kate, I'm sorry your relief was so temporary.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2014

Josie - I won't but I have to admit I get real sick of hearing about them; their farm team is here - the Redbirds

Gemini - Yikes a duet comprised of a SLC fan and the proverbial evil empire -the Boston Red Sox fan! My brother's best friend is from Boston and a die hard fan. Needless to say he finally got to rub it in to my brother after this past season and with them winning the World Series; almost as bad as a few years ago when NY had a 3 game lead and Boston came back and won the next 4 games...now that was painful

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Mapgirl and Josie thanks so much for the support.

I went to see my medical oncologist and he said I am good to go to Chicago. He switched my medication from Oxycicodone to Oxycontin. He said with each office visit we will gradually cut the dose. I am waiting for a call from a nurst to see if she can give me an enema on Sunday and show me hoew ti use Relistor.

I feel good thid evening thinking about my Chicago trip. Its a dream almost coming true

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2014

Kate, it is good that you are planning to wean from the narcs.   I asked if your doc thinks the patch would be good?  Then you just cut it in half from time to time until it's gone.  So sorry you have to wait for further relief from your discomfot.  Here's hoping this is the week it all starts to heal.

Brookside, nice snow-dodge.  Run, I cannot believe you had regular work hours.  That's a lot of snow for anywhere.  My yard is almost snow-free - can't remember last time it was.

Diane (edwards) thanks for the memories about the NY Yankees!  My first game was when I was very young - Dad had corporate tix from his boss...right under the press boxes in the loge.  The older old stadium had posts holding up the tiers so sometimes the view was blocked.  I have 2 older brothers so they watched NYY and Dad watched boxing...I was brought up on sports.  I can still name most of the lineup from the 60s - the great years. in the old stadium...can't believe they tore it down.  I have been to some amazing games  I am excited about going to see a spring training game.  And to be someplace warm!!!  This week end I will try on summer clothes, and try a little self-tanner.  My skin looks like the cracked salt flats of Death valley..
    Tuesday I made an appointment for haircut and highlights.  I have not done that in a long time...I want to brighten up my hair and usher in spring.  Every time I plan a haircut, I start to like my hair long.
    Wishing everyone a happy St. Patricks Day week end...parades and all...drive carefully!  There are crazies out there...Our little town has a big parade and carnival.  I will miss my kids but we may go...depends on if I get up before noon!

I am still reading back....so nice to have new friends here...

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2014

Kate: I have had trouble in the past with constipation due to pain medication. After my last surgery, I tried Swiss Kriss, which is an herbal remedy, which my Mom bought for me. It worked after 2 doses! She bought it at Wholefoods! It might be worth a try! 

So last Friday I met with BS because my SN incision has still not healed since June? She referred me to Pain Clinic at hospital. I received 3 nerve block injections in my spinal area which hurt sooooo much! And of course did not relieve the nerve pain....

Has anyone had issues with this area?

Also, my 1st annual is scheduled for 4/18, and I can't fathom having a mammogram on my rt boob?

An advice?

Lisa

• edwards750
    edited March 2014

Josie - you are a true fan. I never got to go to the old NYY stadium but my brothers did and they have both been to the new one too. They said it is flipping unbelievable. I bet. My youngest son is a Dallas Cowboys fan as is my best friend and my sister, and he and his GFF made a trip to Dallas to see them lose...(of course). Jerry Jones stadium is something to behold too. I had a chance to go to see my ND Irish play Arizona State this past season but was unable to go. Several friends went and were duly impressed. I was brought up in a sports family too...big time. 5 brothers and my dad and all big sports fanatics. I have been to see the Yanks play but not in Yankee stadium. I love college sports more to be honest especially Notre Dame. One of my brothers was a big time LSU fan. He was born in Baton Rouge as were 3 other brothers. My sister and another brother were born in Fort Worth, Texas so we pull for LSU and Texas too. One of my friends(Tennessee fan) asked me why I support teams that so many people love to hate...haha. He's right; I get a lot of grief.

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Diane,

I was at that NYY game vs Bosox when NYY lost the World Series. 

It was shocking!  All the Boston fans migrated down behind the Sox dugout and partied in Yankee Stadium. I went to a playoff game right after 9/11 and it was so amazing - all New York united and Nyy won big.  Stands were rocking , literally. But they lost WS. I think it was Oct 31 and gsme ended in November since season was postponed. 

Then i went to the very last game at Yankee Stadium / awesome and sad for me. 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Joan and Lili-Ri thanks for the support.

It is a gorgeous day here today sunny and 81. I can't get out till late afternnon to enjoy it. My physical therapist comes toay at 11, and my nurse comes today at 2.My nurse will give me another enema and I am praying it will clean me out. After that she finally will show me how to inject Relistor. I am  not sure how long I have to stay hime after that to make sure I don't need a toitet. As soon as I can I want to enjoy the rest of this gorgeous day.

For a change I geel good today, and I feel so grateful.It is such a blessing not to feel a pain. It is also such a blessing to feel emotionally strong too.

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2014

Your've certainly waited for this injection, Kate.  Here's hoping it's a fast worker so you can get out and about while the sun shines.

• edwards750
    edited March 2014

Wow Joan that must have been painful - not only losing but the evil empire had the gall to party in Yankee Stadium. Ouch...Time to put Boston in their place again...bridesmaid to the NYY...haha.

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Hey, hello, Red Sox fan here!  I've been polite while you NYY folks have been bonding, but there's a limit!  I'll just point out the decades of suffering that Red Sox Nation endured from 1918 to 2004.  I remember that game too--wasn't it the 2004 AL Championship Series?  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_American_League_Championship_Series

I also remember watching in horror as a certain ground ball rolled between the ankles of a certain first baseman {{coughBILLBUCKNERcough}}, costing the Red Sox a certain World Series win vs. the Mets in 1986.  Decades, I tell ya!

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2014

I got your back, RunFree!  ;-)

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Thanks gemini!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

excuse me ....what about CA SF Giants...2012...granted 5 wins in NY!  In 2002 my gf was in labor and after a smack down her mom & sister took her tickets and she gave birth to precious boy in Hospital rather than the stands behind first base!  Pitcher classmate gave her tickets :) and then there's Dodger Blue :)

In CA we can throw in an earthquake!!! Excitement...but Joan...I luv the documentary on the 2001 Workd Series and what it meant to NY and the country!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

Kate - here's to relief in the afternoon...better unbinding drugs, painless injections, and regular sunny days...90 here:). I see Chicago in your very near future!  Hubby is wearing your lucky green prince warrior coat and is ready for surgery in the morning...so glad it's him not me...looking for that pot of gold!

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Brookside and Cindy thanks for the support. Unfortunately I had a bad exoerience, The nurse came to give me an enema and suppository, and they did not work. Then I tried Relistor. I released severall small pieces of stool, but I am in screaming pain from the cramps Relistor caused. My doctor was out, but I reached his stand in doctor and he said to have an enema and suppository again in the morning. At the time I talked to him I didn't know the cramps would be so bad. I am going to wait another hour or so to contact doc to find out if there is anything I can do to get rid of the cramps.

Cindy I will be thinking of you and sending all positive vibes for hubby to have an easy unevenful surgery. We are all in his pockets sending good vibes

• josie123
    edited March 2014

Kate, I'm sorry you received no relief today and are so painful.ScaredI hope you can have relief soon.

Cindy, I will pray for your hubby and jump in his pocket tomorrow.May he have the luck of the Irish.

We have had crazy weather here it was almost 80° on Sat then woke up today in the 30°s with some snow for some that lives down south .We just had cold no snow.

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2014

Such a disappointment, Kate.  You've been in such severe pain for so long that worsening cramps just seem so unfair.  Here's hoping things have settled down.  I'm guessing you either went to the ER or will be right outside your doc's door when he gets in this morning.l

Good luck to Cindy's hubby. He's been through so much that this teeny thing should be a piece of cake--for him and his doc.  I'll bet a bundle it will be oodles rougher on Cindy.

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Kate, it's not fair that the drug that is supposed to bring relief is causing unbearable pain.  I hope you feel better today.
    Cindy, thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way for DH and you.

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Oh Kate, how very awful!  This is too much!  I hope they can get you fixed up FAST.  You've been through so much!

Cindy, good luck to your husband today and to you.  Bet that warrior coat looks good on him!  I'm in the pocket too, so save me some lemon cake balls.