Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

Kate, sorry your still having problems.I hope these injections will help your tummy problems and not make them worse.ScaredAs far as the tablet.I actually have a kindle and just mostly use it as a tablet.The only thing I have trouble with is importing pictures.I'm not too computer savvy so not sure what to suggest for you.Get something you can put in a case that will allow you to hold and position easier.

Janis, I'm sorry you have to go through anouther mammogram.Hopefully they will give you immediate results.And hubby swollen leg.Is it hot? Mostly gout is always going to be in the joint not in the middle of the limb.

Welcome, Dawn and Gilbert.Congrats on finishing Rads. Yes fatigue is common.I remember not really feeling like myself until like July and I finished Rads in April.

Run free, congrats on the all clear.I have yet to see my BS.I was supposed to see him in Jan.I will schedule with him soon.

My youngest DD had a Birthday bash at her Grandmas last night 5 friends.They had a sleepover and all that fun stuff.I got to go rescue my MIL.

Cindy glad to hear hubby will have his surgery soon.May he have the luck of the IrishWinking

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2014

dawnCT, I echo what Sew said. I felt pretty good after I finished rads but have had periods of fatigue come and go. The New England winter thus year has been a real challenge ... I blame it for making me feel almost worse than I did during active treatment exactly one year ago!  Hang in there, listen to your body, rest when you need it. I applaud your commitment to exercise, so do what you can when you can. My short answer to you is that I think it's definitely within the range of "normal" to feel tired even several months post-rads. 

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2014

gilbert, I agree with Janis--you can just call and ask.  If you are due to see your RO for a follow-up, you could ask him/her, or you could ask your MO.  I had very similar bruisy tenderness on the muscles of my rib cage below the BC breast, maybe a month after rads was done.  I happened to see my MO just then and she said it was the rads-tightened muscles pulling on other muscles.  Now I'm 9 months post-rads and I'm having a flare-up of cording in my arm.  I just saw a PT for it and she found that my radiated pecs are also pretty tight.  She's given me some stretching exercises that are gentle but need to be done frequently, at least for a while, like several times a day for a couple of minutes.  If you don't have any PT scheduled, that would be a good place to start, after talking to whichever doctor you can reach the easiest.  You will probably need a referral.  I have gotten one from my RO, during rads, and my more recent one from my surgeon.

Dawn, I agree also, fatigue from rads can last a long time.  It takes a lot of patience.  Some people scale back at work in this period, which can confuse their workplaces when the expectation is that the end of treatment will return everything to normal, but it is what it is.  Some people also get bummed out post-rads.  That's a whole 'nother topic which we've worked over pretty well on this thread--let us know if you want to talk about that one!

Janis, you're having a time!  Is there another hospital your husband could go to besides the VA?  I suppose there may be a financial implication to going somewhere else.  I just hate the thought of someone being in discomfort and worried but holding off getting it looked at because the facility is poor.  In any case I hope for a happier leg soon.

Thanks for the congrats, Josie and others! 

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2014

Runfree,Sew,WYO,Janis, and Josie thank you for the support.

Runfree, thank God the nausea went away. Yesterday I took anti-nausea pills and they helped. Today I don't need the pills. OMG yesterday I was so sick I thought maybe that's it, and today i feel much better. Thanks for asking

WYO, bask in the sun and enjoy. Today ir's supposed to be close to 80 here.

Janis, Do you like shrimp? If not I can do steak or chicken quesadilla. Lets go all out for your pocket party Wednesday. God only knows you need good news, and I need fun

Josie, Happy Birthday to DD. Remember back to when we were her age, and sleepovers were the best. I bet grandma had a blast too.

Welcome Dawn and Gilbert

Does anyone have a tablet that they use to play games on the zone. The zone is on msn. I'm trying to find out which tablets are compatible. I don't want to spend a fortune to just use it for email, fb, twitter, shopping and the Zone. $300 is the max I will pay.

As mentioned above I am feeling a million times better than I did yesterday, but still having bad constipation, and my leg is still terribly swollen. This bad constipation is definitely due to taking pain meds. Oxycodone is my drug of choice lol, but it is getting lett effective. I guess I am  hooked on it too. It takes about an hour to work. Then the pain goes away for about 2 hours, and I am high as a kite. Then I am miserable with pain that I can do nothing for. Then I take more meds. I am supposed to take 20 mg every 6 hours, but yesterday, and today I've moved it to every 5 hours. I can deal with the leg pain. I probably could quit Oxyhcodone, and just use Tylenol for that. It's the cramps from constipation that I need the Oxycodone for. This is graphic but picture this. For our bowel movements we usually go to the potty once a day to release a stool. I swear that yesterday I went to the potty a minimum of 50 tiimes to release maybe a half of a stool. On each of those 50 times I released a piece of stool about half the size of a dime.

My leg isn't good either. Yesterday I walked to CVS, about 2 blocks from my home, to get a prescription, and I had to call my neighbor for a 2 block ride home. Funny, but I think there is a connection to the constipation and the leg swelling. After an enema, for instance, my leg swelling goes down. Medicare is supposed to supply a walker, and I think that will be a big help. When I am in CVS, for instance, I walk around with a cart, and that is so much better for my leg. Hopefully some of the swelling will go down before I go to Chicago, but all of the swelling won't go away till I have chemo.

Gosh I should not be complaining, because I feel that much better than yesterday. I should be counting my blessings instead. So as I am counting my breast cancer sisters are high up on my list of blessings. Whenever I need support, which is often now I come here and get oodles of it. Even though it's unfair that I am getting more attention than anyone else here you never complain and give me all of the support I need. So very generous of all of you. Thank you I appreciate it so much.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Has anyone ever tried Linzess for constipation? My doctor gave me samples, but I am afraid to try, because the side affects have to do with abdominal pain

Thinking about you today Bunkie, and I hope you are ok. I hope your weather is warmer and more comfortable for you

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2014

Kate I am glad to see you post, I was getting concerned after reading your post yesterday.  I am sorry you are so miserable.  The constipation has to be awful and of course the abdominal pain and cramping are awful.  I hope you know you can always count on us to be here for you.  This is such a supportive group, you already know that.  Don't ever worry about getting attention.  I know I don't see it that way.  You are dealing with so much and come here for advice and support.  We all need it from time to time.  No worries, okay?  Sorry, but no shrimp for me.  I don't eat any fish or seafood.  Chicken is my favorite so we can have those, but I am sure most everyone here would love the shrimp ones.  You can bring both!

RunFree I am not sure how it works, he also has Medicaid but to be honest we could not afford any co-pay at all.  He doesn't have to pay to be seen at the VA.  It is a dreadful place and such a disappointment.  He is still on the fence about going.  The leg is still swollen, but there is no redness or pain associated with it.  Thanks for asking.

Josie, happy belated birthday to your daughter.  I bet Grandma appreciated being bailed.  LOL! 

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2014

Kate,

I am glad you are doing better today. I know magnesium helps with constipation. Milk of magnesia is good too. I hope you can get the swelling and the constipation under control.

Gigil,

Do you use D mannose powder every day? Or do you take it when you have a problem? How many times do you take it if is daily.

• josie123
    edited March 2014

Kate, sorry your still dealing with your constipation and swelling.

Thanks everyone for my DD' birthday wishes.I think they had a great time.No one really slept .Claire said it was like 3am before anyone slept and they were up by 7 or 8.They watched movies, played the Wii, we made them strawberry frozen drinks in big girl or wine glasses.Ice cream cake too.And the best part is . I got to leave and come back the next day.We helped clean up too.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited March 2014

Hi new2bc.  I use about 3/4 tsp of the d-mannose in 4-6 oz. of water each night before bed.  If I am feeling irritated, if my urine is concentrated, or if I am not drinking enough liquid in a day, I will up it to twice a day - once at mid-day and once at bedtime.  If I have trouble that feels like infection, I will take it three times a day and then bedtime.  I keep sugar consumption to a minimum as well.  Hope this helps.  Any more questions, just let me know.  GiGi

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Janis,New2bc,Josie thanks for the support

Janis thanks for your kind wirds and we will do chicken for you

• justmejanis
    edited March 2014

Thanks Kate!  I sure home you are seeing some improvement very soon.  I am thinking of you and wish many more good days, weeks, months and of course years ahead for you!

I anyone else having bad night sweats?  Mine have been terrible lately and I am so tired of waking up freezing and wet.  I have to change my jammies 1-3 times a night, switch pillows, the whole bit.  I am getting very frustrated!

Love and hugs to all in this struggle.  Be well, be happy!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2014

Janis, I've been having renewed trouble with night sweats and hot flashes too.  Such a bummer.  They're not as severe as they were when I was taking the Watson brand Tamoxifen, but after going away once I was back on Teva, they've come back over the last few weeks.  I've been waking up at night just completely unable to get cool.  Then I go hours during the day without any trouble, then I go into a hot/freezing/hot cycle again for a while.  Maybe the 10 mg Teva (of which I take 2) is from a different factory?  Or maybe it's just among the fascinating ups and downs of Tamoxifen.  If this gets as bad as it was during my Watson month, I'll talk to my MO about Effexor or something.  So far I'm just trying to stay Zen about it and assume it'll go away again as mysteriously as it came.  Also I have "tech" shirts for running that are good at wicking sweat away.  If you don't have any of those but would consider buying some, I'd try the clearance rack at Target.

How's your husband's leg doing?  

Kate, how have you been feeling today? 

• justmejanis
    edited March 2014

RunFree what is it with all this sweating?  I am sorry you re going through it as well.  I know what a pain it is.  I have some hot flashes too, they seemed to increase as well.  I am tired of either burning up or freezing!  Waking up damp is annoying too.  I can't shop right now but do wear cotton tees with V-necks so they are pretty good.  I already take Paxil but may talk to my NP who prescribes it about a switch to Effexor.  I know a lot of people get relief from it.  I will see how well the low dose of gabapentin does.  I take Anastrazole, took a two month break and the sweats were not bad of course.  Not quite three years left.  Tick, tock, tick, tock.......

Thanks for asking about DH.  The leg is about the same, no worse which is good.  I wonder if he has a Baker's Cyst as he is having more knee pain than calf pain.  If they burst the cyst will drain into the calf.  We still haven't gotten it checked.  He hates that VA and it is an annoying trip there, but I told him I will go with him 24/7.  If he gets alarmed I know we will go.  He vacillates between 'concerned' back to 'a little worried'.  Can lead a horse to water...........we'll keep a close eye on it of course.

• gemini4
    edited March 2014

RunFree and Janis, I'm also in the midst of a strong hot flash/sweat/freezing/shivering cycle these days. The worst is, lately I've noticed when I'm sitting for a while, say, with friends at a restaurant ... Of course in that period of time I've  had a few hot flashes. Well, when I stand up, the sweat on the backs of my legs has made my pants damp. Such a gross feeling!  I love the warmer weather, but I'm dreading it at the same time because of these damn hot flashes!  (Though I probably needn't worry ... Despite the strong and warm sunshine this weekend, I have a feeling we are going to have a long, cold spring here in New England.)

• DawnCT
    DawnCT Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2014

Wow!  Thanks so much for all your responses about my radiation fatigue! You have really helped.

Kate - you are so kind to think of others when you are feeling so badly. I really hope you feel better soon!

Mostlysew - thank you for letting me know that your rads lingered.  It helps a lot knowing this as I truly did expect to feel back to normal by now.  Yes, the winter here has been something else and has not helped at all!  I appreciate all your advice. If the exercise is too much I will cut  Your name is mostlysew - what do you like to sew?  I'm a sewer too!

Runfree - you said it perfectly! All expectations are that life goes back to normal at the end of treatment and it is not so!  I will remember that word "patience". Thanks for the offer of support.  

Gemini - your post is reassuring - thank you.  Winter will be over soon! 

Thank you to everyone.  

Dawn

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2014

OH no, just lost my long post here...and too tired to re-write.  Work at 8 am...
    Kate - have you tried a pain patch?  Maybe it would not cause the digestive trauma.  ??  I hope you have a better tomorrow.  Be careful, and follow that advice about not sitting.  Did you get your tablet?  They make laptops now with removable screens to be used as a tablet.  You can have anything sent to your home, as you know.
    Janis, of course we are all in your pocket for this one....sorry you had to wait.  why can't they just do mammos when they suspect one is needed?  Ugh....I hope DH will go for an appointment sooner rather than later.  Hugs and prayers for you and DH.
    Thanks to all for encouraging me to request an earlier appointment.  I have been constantly checking the spot and I need to get this off my mind.  I have not had an MRI since my one and only in 2004. Am afraid...not sure how it would work.  One thing at a time - maybe a mammo will be enough. 
    Wyo, what a travel adventure you had.  Glad you got home OK ...
    Dawn, I have mentioned here before that I had surgery 8/11 and rads started 11/11-ended 1/12.
    I worked the entire time...took off only a few days from work.  I never allowed myself to be tired...and when I finished rads, I had some time off.  I slept and stayed in bed and felt emotionally drained...I regretted not taking more time during surgery and treatment to rest.  So much of my fatigue was emotional; but I was also drained.  I also re-started Femara after rads and that made me tired, achey, and emotionally drained as well.  I went back to work after about 2 weeks rest and was OK. Skin healed too.  We are all different.  You will gradually feel better and probably won't remember when things get better.
    Gilbert, I remember having that extreme tenderness under my bc side and at top of ribs.  I forgot about it...it is gone andI don't remember how long it lasted.  I also had Mondors disease which is inflammationof the veins in the abdomen, especially those connected to the bc side. It is not harmful but comes and goes - tenderness.   Here's hoping you feel better soon.

Cindy, glad to hear there will be resolution for DH soon.  I hope you are feeling OK.
    Run, so happy to hear you got the clear report and that your multiple issues are being addressed.
    Bunkie, thinking of you...
    Gigil, how's are you snowbirds doing?
    April - good news for you!  So happy to hear.

Brookside, hope you are doing well...
    I know I forgot a whole bunch of you...
    Have a good week.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2014

dawn, glad we could help.  It's always more scary when you don't know if your symptoms are normal, or if you'll ever get better.  You will improve, it's just slow....but that's ok it gives us more time to smell the roses.  Actually I do a fair amount of quilting, both patchwork and also whole cloth which I'm trying to perfect my machine quilting skills.  I don't often make clothing anymore but I used to design and make clothing which I sold at a boutique in PT, Reyes Station.  Haven't done that in awhile though. What do you sew? I also do a fair amount of knitting which is good for watching tv...

• MostlySew
    edited March 2014

Joan....for a short post you disseminated lots of good cheer and info.  Glad to hear you're doing well, although busy as usual.  Bet you're looking forward to a few days off.....

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Janis, Runfree, Dawn CT and Joan thanks so much for badly needed support right now.

Janis and Runfree sorry you are both experiencing night sweats. I hate them too waking up wringing wet. Thank God I don't have them right now, and I hope you both find a solution.

Joan I never thought about a pain patch. I will ask doc.

I was the sickest I ever was in my life starting midnight Sat till about 10:30 Mon morning. I had nause,vomiting, and diarrhea so bad I thought it was the end of my life getting carted off in an ambulance to a hospice. I decided to quit Oxycodone Midnight Saturday. I figured it was causing my constipation, so I thought I would be better off without it. I reached my doctor at 9:30 thiis morning, and he said I was going through Oxycodone withdrawal, and that I need to go back on it immediately. OMG I was so relieved to find out that my illness had nothing to do with cancer progressing. One hour after I spoke to doc the Oxycodone kicked in and  the nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea stopped. Thank God! Thank God Thank God! With the nausea and vomiting I had it was impossible to function at all. Now I can watch the bachelor finale tonight in comfort lol.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my surgeon at 4 to do a cystoscopy and remove the stent. Friday I have an appointment with my medical oncologist

• gemini4
    edited March 2014

oh no, Kate!  Did you get taken to the hospital?  I'm glad you're feeling better. I think an inquiry about the pain patch would be helpful -- definitely a conversation about how to go forward with pain management in a way that's going to enable you to still be regular with BMs and not cause such a physical dependence. I really hope you get the answers and relief that you need at your upcoming appointments!

• josie123
    edited March 2014

Kate, I'm so sorry you were so sick.Did the doc have any suggestions on how to get off the Oxycodone? Maybe a declining dose until your not on it anymore.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Gemini and Josie thanks so much for the support

Gemini I did not go to the hospital. I was so sick I couldn't think straight. I did not even call my doctor on Sunday, in which I would have had less suffering.I definitely will have a conversation with my doctor about the pain patch and pain management. Regular BM's are another story. I've had a problem with constipation ever since I started chemo. It got a little better after chemo, but not too much. Fri. I am going to try a new medication, Relistor. Relistor is a medication that is supposed to counter act constipation from pain meds.I have to inject myself every other day in my abdomen. A lot of bad side effects listed, so we will see.

Josie, You are on target.  Doc did say that after I  am feeling better, maybe in a couple of weeks, to reduce the dosage gradually. Now I take 20 mg every 5 hours. I think he is talking about dropping it to 15mg and then to 10mg. Since I have pain I don't think he is talking about me being off of it completely, unless I am cured. He said that right now I do need pain medication

• justmejanis
    edited March 2014

Kate your weekend sounds absolutely miserable.  So sorry it was so bad.  At least you felt better after taking the meds again.  Hopefully this new med you inject will finally help with the constipation.  I know it is discouraging Kate, but you know we are always here to rally around and cheer you.

Joan I bet you can't wait for your break.  Thanks for being with me on Wednesday.  I wish I had a morning appointment but had to take what I could get.

Gemini sorry you are a member of the sweat club as well.  Last night was a two pajama change night.  It is so disruptive to sleep.  A pain in general having to get up, change, move pillows and change them out, etc.  Hopefully we'll find some relief for this really soon.

Dawn, glad that you got some helpful advice here.  You always will, and tons of support as well.

• wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2014

Hi all

sorry to hear of those who are having difficulties with health issues and those dealing with yet another blast of winter weather.  Shot this picture out our balcony this weekend at Avila Beach on the central coast of CA.  I had a crazy stressful week at work and it made me nuts by friday.  Was so nice to escape with hubby for a weekend of really doing nothing and hearing the waves- spring is coming I promiseSmile

Back to work today but more relaxed and refreshed- I agree the fatigue comes and goes and I really find if I don't keep up with my yoga my shoulder, pectoral and entire side body get very tightened up. 

Btw- I need to look for a new computer for my mom she has an old dell with windows XP which is not supported after april 8th- the new all-in-ones running on an android platform look really interesting as I don't think she will be able to make the transition to windows 8 (age 81) anyone have any experience with those type machine like acer or hp slate?

• MostlySew
    edited March 2014

Wyo, beautiful picture.  Sounds like a lovely get away.  I've no experience with either of your android examples, but I think she could adapt to the iPad even though it's an apple product.  It's just so easy, totally forgiving, small and if she's like my mom, there are some good solitaire apps.....

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

Hi Y'all

Kate - sorry that you suffered so this weekend...hope your team can get a handle on your pain, constipation, and swelling. Let us know his the self injections work...you need relief now!  What did you think of the Bachlor? Seems to be the buzz on morning news. May this be a good week with relief in sight:)

Night sweats & hot flashes...ugh:( but seems to be just part of this ride.  Layers, fan, and a sense of humor on wet, clammy, cold, melting life:) leg in leg out...sooo hummm zen time.

Sew - I love my iPad too:)

Wyo - a beach fav...when nearby Lake Lopez had water it was a fav windsurfing spot! Great place to decompress. 

Josie - all well at your house? We all need sleep overs...fun:)

Dawn - when fatigue sets in try hydration...usually for me hydration countered and helped with low BP.  Drink up & moisturize. 

Joan - great post:). Have you seen your Dr yet?  Fingers&toes crossed :) 85 & sunny...Spring breakers are arriving in the desert. Where do will you SB?  Grand kids?  Winter is almost over:)

April - post that 1st baby pic:)

Taking a Pilates class this afternoon, wearing my FitBit, trying yo be overachiever:) ha! Getting my zen on for hubby's surgery...baby time ha ha!  He starts 2x tummy injections tomorrow :( INR must be 1.5 so down we go.  Off to Costco...ah the routine of living:)))

Shout out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited March 2014

Cindy, yes we are all well at our house.Please knock on wood for me.Yes maybe I'm a little superstitious.Enjoy the Pilates class.I started back on my Tamoxofin last night.All is well so far.I did have a little spell l like pain going up my neck starting in my Clavicle.I think it was gas because when I burped it went away.But it scared me It was even painful to breathe.I really haven't noticed that spaced out feeling like I did when I took it in the morning.Right now I'm taking after dinner.We have a beautiful day today.It sunny with a high of 83° but we are expecting a high in the 40's tommorow with snow and rain.Got to love that St.Louis Weather!!

• katehudson25
    edited March 2014

Janis and Cindy thanks for the support

The bachelor I don't know what to make of it. He signed up for the show, so he knew that an engagement was expected of him, but in real life is it wise to get engaged after a couple of months of dating? Cindy I missed the news. What did they say about it.

Janis good luck with your procedure tomorrow. Food and drinks will be in place when you get back.

I am feeling better today, Thank God. My hairdresser and friend Joanna is coming to color my hair today, but I probably will still put on my wig when I see my surgeon at an appointment after she is done. Maybe I can get extensions to wear for a few months before my hair thins again from chemo. At my surgeon's appointmentment he is going to do a cystoscopy and take out a stent. I hope it doesn't hurt

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2014

(((((Kate)))) Always the warrior princess! Withdrawal is an awful terrible nightmare! I watched hubby go through it when the doctor just abruptly stopped pain meds after his knee surgery. He had been on them for over a year and then he had the knee replaced and the doctor gave him 30 more pills and said "That is it..no more!" OMG, hubby was in rough shape! They are supposed to taper you. NEVER stop them abruptly. It is not that you are addicted...it is that you are dependent. There is a big difference! Hugs to you and hoping you feel better soon.

To all the rest of you, thanks for the congrats! I am thrilled about the baby. Gotta run...hubby just walked in moaning about something about where I parked in the driveway!

It is 61 degrees today! I have spring fever!!!! Loopy

• josie123
    edited March 2014

April, I vaguely remember you mentioning a grandbaby?Congrats.Smile