Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2014

Kate, praying for some relief for you today!

Cindy, hoping things go well for hubby too.

As for you long suffering Red Sox fans, sorry for you...really I am BUT I bleed pinstripes so....and living in CT, there is a dividing line right down the middle on which team you support. About 50% are Boston fans and the other 50% love the Yanks with a few sad Mets fans thrown in for good measure. And, hubby grew up in Baltimore area so we also have a lot of orange going on in our house since he is an avid Orioles fan. Things can get messy fo sho!

Me, I swear there is good news followed by bad every single time for me. I find out I am going to be a Grandma for the first time and am thrilled. Then I got out of the shower on Friday and noticed my left nipple was "crusty" so now I am worried about possible Paget's! I have an MO appt tomorrow so gonna have her take a look and also maybe order a punch biopsy. My left girl is givin me an awful lot of grief lately. If they find Paget's, it will be off with her!

Ok ladies, wish me luck. It is 17 degrees here in CT today but they tell me 40+ is on the way starting tomorrow and it is supposed to stick around for a while.

Love to all of you xoxo

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2014

April, you do have to get that crusty business looked into, but I just wanted to tell you that mine got crusty also when I was having my derm problems last summer, and it was meaningless.  Very alarming--shirt stuck to skin, weepy stuff went through my bra, had to go buy nursing pads!  I smacked down the crustiness with some Triamcinolone steroid cream, prescribed by my RO whom I happened to see just then.  The cream worked incredibly well and fast.  Hope yours is similarly insignificant and responsive so you can get back to your excitement about that baby and your mysterious dedication to men in pinstripes. 

Smile

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2014

Hi ladies.  We have company so I have been busy.  My stepson is visiting from Seattle.  He is 39 and divorced and loves to have home cooked meals.  So I baked his favorite dessert, carrot cake, and have done a lot of cooking.  We have had a really nice visit, he is a great kid and I always enjoy him. 

So yesterday I had a small, strange little accident which required a trip to the ER.  We bathed the dogs and I was combing Sampson, a Golden Retriever.  He has a ton of chest fur and under his head it is long and silky.  I was using a metal comb with my right hand, my left arm was holding the fur as I combed.  I hit a snag I did not expect, and the comb literally jerked out of his chest and into my inner left forearm.  I had no idea if the tear was big, there was so much blood pouring I didn't even see the wound.  I was outside and wet from bathing.......jeans and tee were soaked.  Russ grabbed paper towels and Chuck used them to apply direct pressure.  Russ said he would drive and Chuck could sit in the back with me and keep the pressure steady.  After numbing it they flushed it really well with 2 bottles of saline, it took four stitches to close.  Small but deep.  Sheesh, who could ever think you could injure yourself that way?

Kate so sorry about your ongoing problems.  You deserve a big break.  I am happy for you that your MO cleared you to go to Chicago.  I know how thrilled you must be.....good for you, being around your family will be wonderful.

Need to dash, hugs and love my friends. 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2014

Nice and quiet at work today.-- no classes until next week. 
    Kate, I hope you are feeling better.   Did you feel the 4.4 earthquake a few miles from your city?  I hope everyone is OK out there...
    When we had the 4.7 in Virginia, it shook Long Island and we were 300 miles away. (I was in the cancer center when it happened.
    I'm glad it was a relatively small quake.  When I first heard the report, I was so worried until I heard the details.  My DS is in San Francisco.  I better get used to it...he just bought a house not far from a fault line in Berkeley.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2014

The first time I felt an earthquake, Joan (and all), I was in bed.  All I could think of was that movie, The Exorcist!

Here's hoping you're having a good day, Kate.

How on earth, Janis!  Who'd ever guess nice little you could be so dangerous with a comb, of all things!

April, I hope you've experienced a "once and done" event.  You did the one-week rads, so a one-time crusty sounds appropriate.  How lucky that you have a just-in-time appointment tomorrow!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

Hi y'all!

Ooo who home from surgery...:) same surgery center same crew...they all are so cool...green scrubs!  Y'all looked good in his pocket...thanks so much for your support and prayers:)  hubby is uncomfortable, but gave vicodine and stool softner and off to sleep.  It was hard today...a young 30 something having BC surgery with my BS...I assured her and parents in good hands...too young enough of this disease ugh:(

Kate - ugh ugh ugh...relief please!  Hoping today is a good day for you!

Ok, pocket party...cakeballs, nachos, drinks, dark chocolate squares...who wants to take their chocolate in a pill...melt in hands&mouth please!  Some humus and swarma and veggies too!

Break time...this LVN better go check on her patient:) 

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2014

Cindy....woohoo.....yeah.....hand over the chocolate.  This deserves a celebration.  I'm so glad he's home, getting comfortable and done.......oops...someone handed me a margarita time for a toast ...

Janis....man, I'm not getting near you with any implement.  Glad you didn't hit the dog with it, he wouldn't have understood......  Enjoy step sons visit

April....glad you've got an appt already scheduled, scary stuff but I'm praying that lightening doesn't strike twice

Kate. Hope you're over the cramps and have found relief.  Hard to get off the pain meds when you keep getting this type of pain

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2014

Re the crusty nipple ... I have had this in the past year, ever since rads ended. Every few months or so I notice a crusty buildup on my rads nipple, and I usually just pick it off after a shower. I chalked it up to a sebaceous secretion ... But is this something I should take seriously?

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2014

Thanks for the update, Cindy.  So glad it is over and now he is home and in your care -- the best place to be!

Kate, I keep you in my thoughts and hope you get past all of this soon.  So very very sorry about the pain you are experiencing.  Something just has to give for you soon.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2014

Back at ya April with the boys in pinstripes. You do have quite the dividing line...and a Baltimore fan too...I don't feel one ounce of empathy for the evil empire RedSox...they need to stay in their place...the proverbial bridesmaid...haha.

In the deep south we are even cold today but nothing compared to what you guys are going through. We did dodge the nasty weather again - it went north of us and by Friday it will be in the 70s...yea!

Kate - bless your heart you so deserve a break. I can't imagine how you are managing the constant pain and discomfort. Its time for the prayers to kick in and the meds whatever they may be, to start working. Sure hope so.

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

Janis, ouch!! Sounds  like a groomers injury.

Kate, how are you doing? Hope you didn't have to go to the DR.

April, hope everything is ok and it turns out to be nothing.Hope warmer weather comes soon for you.

Joan, earthquake? Wow!! Glad it wasn't to bad.

Cindy, sounds like your hubby did well in surgery.Now your on nurse duty.Rest up.

• mapgirl12
    mapgirl12 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2014

Kate - I hope tomorrow brings some relief!

Cindy - hope hubby heals quickly!

Prayers and ((((HUGS)))

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Kate, all your pain and an earthquake too!  I hope you were able to get some relief today, and I hope the earthquake didn't cause you any trouble.  

Cindy, glad your husband's surgery is over and he can start to recover.  What a lot of stuff he's been through!

Janis, that's a scary and bizarre injury!  Is it your BC side?  I am wondering whether it might heal more slowly if it's on the side where you had nodes removed.  I had no idea those combs were so sharp.

April, my crusty nipple seemed related to the dermatitis I was already dealing with on my radiated skin, which we thought was a strange case of "radiation recall dermatitis."  This is quite rare, but when it does appear, it almost always happens when chemo follows rads and retriggers irritations on the radiated skin as if rads were still happening.  In my case, it was apparently due to Tamoxifen.  There are very few cases of this on the record, and they're not well-documented, so we never really knew.  Around the time the steroid cream worked so well on my nipple, my legs also started itching and rashing, and then we were off to the races, four more months of distant derm visits and a rash nearly everywhere and experiments with various medications (the winner was Bactrim). Gemini, it's very interesting that you've also had the crusty nipple.  It's a good sign for April that it resolves so quickly for you.

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Run, thank you for the correction regarding the NYY BoSx series.  Of course it was the League Championsip not WS. More recently, I was kind of happy to see Boston teams do so well after the marathon tragedy...
    Now that my DD has moved to Cohasset, her older daughter (6) told me she is a Red Sox fan (like her native MA Dad)...oh well, I'll work on the 3 year old...NYYs are rebuilding an old team so who knows what will be.

Brookside, my first EQ that was bigger than a 2.5 (that happens when the material settles off shore of Long Island)...first was when I was in Alaska, alone in a rental house up on a hill...it was unmistakeable.  I thought it was wind but when no trees were moving, I went online and saw it was about 20 miles away, a 4.7.  When the Virginia quake hit, I was in the cancer center where they have a huge fish tank set into a free standing wall.  I was imagining all the fish getting out and flopping around.  Fortunately, no damage. 

April, sorry to hear of your worries.  After all the treatment, we still carry that near-surface fear in our subconsciousness.  It doesn't take much to surface.

Cindy, glad you are out of the hospital...enough already!  Here's wishing a rapid uneventful recovery for DH.  And please take care of YOU.  I know it is so hard to see young people facing cancer.  At our church, the pastor's 19 year old son started chemo today for testicular cancer. He had surgery last year but they found it in his chest now.  Prognosis is pretty good but treatment is hellish.  Poor kid...why?

Janis!  I am sending a princess warrior straight jacket to your house...what color would you like???
    Sorry to hear....It must have been so shocking to go though that and end up with stitches.  I hope you can recover and enjoy your company.

I have echo cardiogram tomorrow, and blood test if I remember to fast.  (I blew it last week)
    I still have to get in to get a lump check before my April appointment.
    Kate, any better today?
    Sew, are you back from your fun getaway?  It sounded wonderful...river and all...
    SAB, did you feel the EQ?

Big hugs, everyone!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2014

Brookside,Josie, someone's name I forgot who said they are only having a high of 40 today, I wish you warmer weather, Runfree,April,Sew, Mapgirl,BigD, Cindy, and Joan thank you all so much for your support.

Big D thank you for your prayers. I do not pray for myself, so it is wonderful to get a prayer or two.

Joan, yes I did experience the earthquake, It woke me out of a sound sleep. It's only the 3rd one I've ever experiencded since I moved here about 9 years ago.

Today started out with the earthquake jolt lol Then all was well. I saw my pcp today, and he too thinks I am ok to go to Chicago. He told me he was worried about me going to surgery, because it is such a big surgery. I didn't even realize it is such a big surgery,He said 6 weeks out and I am doing fabulous

Now for the most important person of the day Cindy's hubby. Please forgive me for devoting so little time to you. I am sorry your hubby was uncomfortable. I am hoping the pain meds have him cozy now. I hope he can go light on the pain meds, becasue the constipation sucks. Cindy you have been such a wonderdful caregiver. I hope I can join you in a margarita party tomorrow to celebrate hubby's recovery. Sleep tight, keep your wonderful sense of humor, and you and hubby will be all right.

Love,

Kate

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited March 2014

Kate, I can't do much for you except pray, so you get them every day!  Happy you are going to be able to get to Chicago, that will be wonderful for you.

Let me in on that margarita party ole!!!!

• MostlySew
    edited March 2014

Joan, yes, I'm back from my quilting and lazing on the river.  Wonderful.  We didn't even mind that the first afternoon and evening we were there that the power was out.  Just talk and knit works wonders.

Earthquakes.....strange things those....A friend moved here from Texas and always talked of being very afraid of earthquakes.  Well, we finally had one and it woke everyone up with it's jolt.  When I asked my friend the next day how she liked her first earthquake she apparently had slept thru the whole thing.  We decided she had nothing to worry about if she wasn't even going to feel them.  Actually, being Calif born and raise I'm terrified of tornadoes and hurricanes but not earthquakes.  Guess it's all a matter of what you get used to.

Kate, glad you had a better day yesterday.

Cindy...hope DH is recovering nicely and is even following instructions.  Your could always tell him you're bringing in Nurse Ratchet if he doesn't behave......big sigh of relief for you and then off to yoga for relaxation......

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2014

Big D and Sew thanks so much for the support.

I am feeling better today and I am so grateful.

I have two nice things to look forward to

My daughter is booking my trip to Chicago for arrival Wed April23 and departure Monday April 28. I need to start chemo right away.

Then my son told me he will be vacationing here in Late June with his wife and kids of course. I am so excited about this too

Cindy darling, I hope hubby  is doing better today. My prayers, and good vibes are with you 

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited March 2014

Kate, that is wonderful news.  It helps so much to have things to look forward to, and you are so deserving.

Cindy, thinking of you and hubby too!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2014

Thanks y'all!

Hubby is sore, but doing better!  Thursday will be postoperative look see:)

Kate - great news!  A very good day with plans for family visits...Ooo who :D are you packing :)))

BigD - how's rads?  Hoping it will be a non event hydrate! Counting down...

Bunkie - where are you?

Joan - in your pocket for tests...fingers&toes crossed on that crazy lump...hurry up appt. 

Sew - glad retreat was fun...busy time...ah river time:) yes, this LVN got out walker, stocked the other bedroom, and took away any bell...:)  he's behaving...or else!

Janis - ouch! No more dog grooming with power tools...bad doggy! Speedy healing poor ear. 

RunFree - you training for any runs...my FitBit sent me a badge...50 miles this week:). Reformer at gym is a killer...my trainer is a dancer amazing...I'm lean, but wow to watch her demo is intimidating. Spring Break!

April - crusty nipple :(. I've had some off and on crusty but just assumed rads doing their thing...fingers&toes crossed answers soon!

Josie - hope all is good at home and work...any mire sleep overs...how's your ds? St Loius warming up!

GiGil - live living in Celebration in the most happiest place Disney Land!  Cinderella and Prince Charming:)

Ok, patient is not happy with menue options at home...so WE are going to Del Taco ugh! Me vegan organic ...him fast food...ha ha!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    edited March 2014

Cindy......greater love hath no vegetarian than to go to Del Taco with hubby for dinner!  Lol.....now I understand how you managed to walk 50 miles this week....running from the fast food.....I'm struggling with just the 10,000 steps /day....don't get any steps sitting at computer doing moms taxes....note to self...do not wash fit bit in pants pocket although it is still working. Singing

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Cindy, sounds like patient is feeling back to somewhat normal...watch out!
    Re:  Earthquake - glad it was a manageable side.  I have not hear from my son in SFO...guess he took it in stride.
    Kate, YES you deserve some things to look foward to.I hope the swelling goes down and you go free of worries on your trip.  I remember the swelling first started in Chicago...maybe you can return it and leave it there!!! 
    Sew, welcome back...I sense some long overdue peace for you after a difficult year. 
    How does one make time for knitting/crocheting/sewing?  I miss it...Mom left me not one but two Berninas which remain in my coat closet. 
    My union just negotiated a great new contract which is enticing me to work 5 more years...heck, I'll be 70-ish.  Is it worth it? Not sure....will think long and hard...and I can change my mind any time and retire sooner.  I have one more promotion possible, but must take 18 grad credits to get it.  I love taking courses but not sure I'm in for the time commitment.
    Hi Josie, hope everyone is well at your house.  Every time I go for medical tests, I think of you...at our lab, the techs do it all...triage patient list in "hostile" waiting room of impatient appointments and walk-ins...take all insurance information, do the tests, finish the paperwork...rather inefficient.  Techs could get alot more done if there were one or two in the front office doing the in and out-takes.
    Janis, how's the wounded warrior doing?  Are you feeling better?  I'll bet you are still cooking even with your stitches....hope you are getting help.
    Time for sleep....work tomorrow then taking off Thursday, Friday plus week end.  Yay!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2014

Had my appointment with MO yesterday who took a look at my nipple and told me she felt there was nothing there. She did a thorough breast exam and did not feel anything out of the ordinary either. My "crusty" nipple now is pink and healthy looking but last Friday, had a scab on the tip. Now there is nothing there (of course, it figures that it would fall off leaving a pristine looking nipple behind it) so she did not feel that I should have a biopsy at this time. She did say that if it happens again to call my breast surgeon and tell her so I can see her and let her decide if a punch biopsy is in order. Thanks so much for your support! Prayers for all of you. xo

At work as usual so have to run!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2014

I remember earthquakes from my childhood in SF.  Last time I was in one was in 1980 when I was visiting my mom in Fresno.  The epicenter was near Yosemite, on person there was killed.  We got a good early morning jolt and some aftershocks as well. 

Cindy I am relieved to hear your DH is doing well.  What a relief!  Happy dance for him.  I hope he recovers quickly and with little discomfort.

Kate, I am thrilled you will soon be visiting your family.  What is more cheerful than that?  I hope you are feeling better too!

Sew, good to see you back.  I wish I could quilt.  I don't even have a sewing machine, would love to make some basic things.  My niece is expecting and I was hoping to make a gift for the baby.  I don't knit or crochet.  My mom was an amazing knitter, but she is gone.  I do have some thinks Mom knitted for my boys so will send those along.

My arm is fine, not even sore anymore.  I get the sutures out Monday.  I cannot believe I ripped my arm with a darn metal comb.  Sure didn't expect that.  Take all sharp or non sharp tools away from Janis!

Joan what a decision to sign on for five more years.  I know you will make the best decision for you and your family.

Happy day everyone!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2014

Hi ladies - Have been bed bound. My body decided to go into reaction mode who knows from what. Have been sick, sick, sick. Sleeping all the time, bad vertigo....fell but not bad, horrible fatigue, blurred vision. headaches, tremors, low BP and last but not least itching all over. I refuse to go up again on steroids unless they find me passed out with a bottle in my hand. I have a friend that checks on me every morning. It will pass I hope. Dr did some labs and it looks NORMAL. DevilI have a brain MRI and a eye test with a neuro optomologist at the U of Mi. I swear I am donating my body to some study group. Weather wise we still have snow piles and the trees are budding. Could it be allergies? Spring is trying to come. Oh please.

Will check in soon. The page is moving.

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Oh, Bunkie, how awful!  That is just a rotten, horrible list of ailments.  You are suffering way too much!  It's smart to have someone check on you.  How are you getting food and stuff???  

Brookside and I had a meet-up today!  It wasn't something we'd planned for long, but I had PT today at the hospital we have in common and I realized I could go to the weekly post-BC exercise class afterward, and she was also going to the class, so we had a quick lunch and then went to the class together.  Such fun to see her!  

And....it's snowing again.  We're supposed to get 3"-5" tonight, just in time for the first day of spring. 

• BigDBeatingBigC
    edited March 2014

Hey Cindy, rads are fine so far.  Have only had 3.  I am trying to drink more water just like you suggested.  I saw my MO today, did blood work.  I am borderline anemic, but I feel fine.  I am glad your hubby is doing well.  Cannot believe you walked 50 miles.  You must be in great shape.  I would be lucky to walk one mile.  But I am working in it, a little bit at a time.

Bunkie, sorry you are having so many issues.  My neurologist wants to run a brain MRI on me as well as I have fallen a couple of times.  My spinal MRI came out fine.  I told him no more tests until I finish my rads.  Hope spring comes for you soon!

Janis, crazy accident you had!  Glad you are doing better.

Joan (I am Joan too) congrats on the new contract and have fun on your time off!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2014

BUNKIE, I'm so sorry you've been so ill.You think allergies are the cause?

I know I've been sneezing my head off.I wonder if Allergy season is going to be bad this year? I hope your getting enough fluids.Don't get dehydrated.

RunFree, you got snow again? My sister that lives in Connecticut is going to New Hampshire today until Friday for a little get away/Anniversary trip.Her friend has a place at some lake.I hope they made it safely.She said they were going snowshoeing.

• RunFree16
    edited March 2014

Josie, it didn't start snowing until the evening where I am, and it's supposed to be done by Thursday noon.  If she got a decently early start, I bet she was fine.  They've upped our forecast to 4"-8", and we just had "thundersnow," a thunder and lightning storm embedded in a snowstorm.  It's a bit much!

• joan811
    edited March 2014

Run, Brookside, so glad you got together (again)...what a great non-plan you had.  We sometimes just have to take advantage of those times we have in common.
    I am going on a "road trip" where I will meet up with 4 Bco sisters in 2 different places.  One will ride with me...and we'll have an overnight.  Will report back....
    Last night I tried to book a trip to visit DS in Earthquake Land (San Francisco) but I never got a confirmation.  So, more hours spent tonight trying to find the best fare and use up miles for a free trip.  I do hope to visit with some of the West Coast ladies again.  It's looking like May for me. 
    The best thing about my "contract" is that I can stay or retire pretty much any time I want to now.  I've passed the 10 year mark so I will get some benefits. 
    BigD, best wishes as you started radiation...I hope you have minimal side effects.  I worked through and was most tired from driving back and forth.  After it was over, I crashed from exhaustion.  Then back to work ... you will get your life back after rads.  Are you taking an A.I. drug too? 
    Janis, hope you are on the mend.  Be careful!
    FIRST DAY OF SPRING IS ALMOST HERE!!!  Raining here now.