Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2014

Joan - what a cool pic...its unanimous on the sweater and blouse. That is so great you guys could hook up. I have never been to California...I know unbelievable but true. DH and I had planned on going this summer to San Jose where his brother and his wife live but an $8k price tag for a new a/c system took precedence. We are blessed it has lasted over 20 years. Not DOA yet but def on life support. We got several estimates and apparently $6k-$8k is the going rate these days. Ouch...My parents went to San Francisco a few times and loved it and a friend whose son is in the Navy is stationed in San Diego. He said it is absolutely gorgeous too!

Josie - I love those colors. I never had a bed of my own either until my sister moved out. What a sweetie you have for a daughter to not complain about not having a bed. Certainly not the norm with some kids. You did a good job on the painting too...not my forte either. Husband says he would rather have a root canal than paint but when he does he does a good job too. diane

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2014

Diane, Sew,thanks for the compliment on the room.And I hate to disappoint but the cookies aren't really cookies.It's a box of townhouse crackers.I wish it was cookies.But we are on a diet WW started this week and have already lost about 5 lbs.Last night I caught the dog sleeping on the new bed.DD had a sleepover at her friends house.That dog looked like She was in heaven.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2014

Josie your daughter's room is just lovely!  Beautiful job creating a place just for her.

Joan and Sew love seeing your beautiful smiles and SEW that sweater is amazing! I am teaching myself crocheting and knitting and can only dream someday to create something half that complex. Joan try a probiotic like Culturelle. It works wonders. Glad you are getting a vacation and kudos to you for not freaking out about that mouse!

And still we wait for word on Kate. I hope she is comfortable and being well taken care of. 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited May 2014

Hi All---I have a question (why do they pop up on long weekends?)  I think I shared with you that I have open skin issues in the crease area -well now my axilla where they did the SLN his opened too--.  Curse of the big bustline, pulling on fragile skin, I guess.  I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, but the nurse said to me Friday---we may put a dot of Silverdene on you and see what happens....  I am so drained from these ongoing skin problems and I am so allergic to everytying, that I really don't want to risk another type of medical episode if it can be avoided.

Did any of you have open skin issues post rads-and did you use anything not sulfa based to treat it?  I've been doins Saline soaks 5X a day 20 minutes each

Thanks for any tips.  

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2014

Redheaded...Yuck!  I'm so sorry about all this for you.  I did use silversulfadene, but just by the name, I would think you shouldn't use it!  It only worked for me for a few days.  After that they moved me on to Triminiclone (sp) and another one which worked pretty well.  You can try some non-prescription things for burns, if any of those look good to you, but they don't work as well as the prescription meds although they might get you thru the weekend.  I wonder about your saline soaks at this point....I'd wonder if that's too much moisture on that poor skin? And you might be pulling off the baby baby new skin each time you remove the soak.  I really don't know much about saline soaks though as the only time I did that was when we were trying to get my surgical incision to heal and it was used as an abraiding sort of process. 

I'd strongly recommend pure aloe vera gel (well, it's 99.9%) which has other medicinals in it, but make certain that the first listed ingredient on the bottle is aloe vera. I mistakenly got some from CVS pharmacy which didn't work, and the aloe was listed way down the list.  Use it 3 - 4 times a day or more.  Also, find yourself some Calendula Cream.  It is an absolute life saver.  It's used for burns, baby's skin rashes etc. and will help a lot with your skin issues.  I know first hand just what you're going thru and I can't recommend the Calendula Cream (made by Boiron and get it at Amazon or a health/whole food store) enough.  Also, you probably should also be using corn starch as a sort of powder under those girls as it helps with the chaffing, especially going in to the warmer weather.  And, you can try a nice soft piece of cloth under those girls to help with moisture problems.  As most of us here say, one of the best things to do is to let them run free and feel the air....I guess as long as you're not having company this weekend anyway Winking

I hope this helps. I too am big busted and know what you're going thru.  It looks from your stats like you must be just about done with rads?  I think the 3 days off will help tremendously.  I had to take an extra day off right before my last 7 rads because the skin had gotten pretty bad.....but the day helps.  I think you'll get thru it, but be sure to check with the doc on Tuesday and start Calendula right now....it's a bit better for healing than Aloe but either is good.

Good Luck, let us know

• MostlySew
    edited May 2014

RedHeaded, P.S. I forgot to mention that I'm also allergic to lots and lots of topical things.  It's always a surprise to me when I find new ones,  now including eye dilation solution....go figure!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2014

Hello dear ladies.  I'm taking advantage of this nice long weekend to check in.   

Sew and Joan I am so bummed that I missed you two.  I love, love, love the picture and it got me a bit irked that my job is such a life-eater.  I suppose when I've been there a bit longer I might have more flexibility.  

Catch up time, per Joan's orders.  My DD the Elder received her Bachelor of Fine Arts (with distinction ThumbsUp)from California College of the Arts last week.  My DD the Younger, the one with PDD, got bored/stressed with high school and tested out, with extremely high scores.  It remains to be seen how she'll proceed.  It's up to her I guess...school or a job.  Those are the choices we gave her.  My book is going super well.  I am involved in a monthly writer's group with 8 other experienced writers and an editor, and have been working hard on polishing and finishing.  I am working on the toughest part right now, and hope that with their support I can clean it up and get it to a publisher, or self-publish this year. Work remains insane.  Hired 15 new students for summer, and building the training for them right now.  End of year stuff for departing grads, and many planning projects on the table. Whew.  That about sums to up.  

I am so sorry to be so absent.  I dip in to read as much as I can, but I seem to always have something interrupt me.  

Josie, I also love the bed and the paint job, it's beautiful. Redheaded, I'm sorry you are going through so much.  That node incision can be a bear. Hello Janis, Bunkie, Edwards, Lemon, Gigi, Brookside and all the other sisters.  I am sending out healing thoughts to our Kate, I hope she's recovering well. 

• MostlySew
    edited May 2014

Hey Sab, we missed you too!  Next year for sure, plus I'm not sure but I might have promised Joan to meet up with you sometime before next year...good idea I think except I don't know how we'll pull it off....  Ah well, good plan anyway.  Glad to hear the good news about your daughters.  Two graduated, yippee! I think testing out for DD the younger was probably a very smart idea.  Relieves that immediate stress for all of you, and who knows, college may just be the environment she needs.  Or work may convince her that college is the environment she needs (tehe).  Great news about the progress on the book.  I look forward to seeing it in print (without all the correction marks).  

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Redheaded, I had skin splitting underneath my breast and also on the sentinel node incision.  I was told to keep it moist with the vaseline textured ointment they gave me.  I did that, went bra-less for over a week, but I kept a soft cloth between my large breast and the skin underneath.  Moist healing is the best, but the greasy ointment will keep the cloth from sticking and pulling off the new skin.  I kept my back to the shower during those times, and specifically used a saline wound cleanser, which I squirted on and dabbed off with a sterile bandage type sponge.  At bedtime I applied emu oil and again the soft cloth.  Emu oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties.  Natural which is good.  This winter my husband had a persistent rash on his ankle and lower leg.  I feared he had something unpleasant going on there.  He is a physician, and they make the worse patients.  He tried one thing and another with no luck.  I finally ordered him some emu oil through Amazon and insisted he use it.  He finally took my advice, and the rash healed.  Thank goodness!

My entire breast peeled bit by bit.  It eventually healed very well indeed.

SAB good to hear from you.  Congrats to both of your DD.  Quite an accomplishment for the older and the younger seems very bright as well.  My niece decided to put an end to her high school torture the same way.  She went on to college and is now in charge of science education for many of the Boston schools.  She loves being a teacher, and does a wonderful job!  Your daughter will find her path.  Exciting times for you!

And yes, hoping and praying for Kate.

• gigil
    edited May 2014

P.S. Redheaded always a clean cloth.  I used a thin, sponge type bandage type cloth..  I changed it and reapplied the ointment a few times a day.

• Redheaded1
    edited May 2014

Mostly Sew and GiGil---thanks for your advise---I have used Calendula and AloeVera during treatment.  I will ask on Tues about Emu oil.  GiGil--I do my soaks much the same way, only they have me saturating a gauze pad and tucking it under there for 20 minutes then removing it.  I spoke with a pharmacist and he said he thought I should go ahead and try the dot of Silverdene to see what happens.  He thought that the sulfa drug swallowed goes into the blood stream and causes systemic over the body reaction and the sulfa builds to be effective---that was why rash after 10 days.  He thinks topical crème would not be absorbed similarly and that IF I reacted, it would be limited to the area---I told him my armpit and under the boob wasn't an area where a reaction would be welcome.....HA.  He didn't even blush.  So, I will try to persuade them to find a more acceptable solution---he suggested a Bacitracin or other Triple Antibiotic   type thing,  Burn skin appropriate but said it wouldn't have the OMPPH of a prescription.   I  think the Triminoclone crème is only for intact skin, so I am wondering if the silvedene closes the skin?

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2014

Redheaded, I too am allergic to Sulfa and I had some pretty bad skin issues.  My doctor finally prescribed a burn ointment that helped......'Vasolex'.  It is prescription so you would have to ask your doctor next week.  Cool compresses helped as did Aloe and the Calendula that others mentioned.  I went braless and wore loose fitting cotton tees.  It took a little time but healed well.  That was probably the worst for me, once my skin began healing I felt so good. 

I can't possibly keep up with all the posts, you guys have been busy.  Josie you did a great job in that bedroom.  The bed is perfect and I bet your daughter feels like a little princess in that bright and cheerful room.  You really did a great job making it so special for her.  She will always remember this!

Gigil so good to see you back and posting away.  It sounds like you have a full plate but busy is good. 

Sew and Joan, thanks for sharing that great photo.  Sew I have always said your knitting reminds me of my mom's.  She was so talented and clearly you are as well.  You do such beautiful intricate work.  I loved the photo, Joan you look awesome and I love your blouse too.  Isn't that funny?  SAM I am sorry you weren't able to make the reunion, I missed seeing you in the photo.  It is crazy busy for you it sounds like.  Big congrats on the daughter's graduation.

I am almost 2 weeks post op and feeling really good.  I am able to eat more solid food as long as I am careful.  My biggest problem is getting enough protein.  Yesterday I made homemade mac and cheese and had some of that.  It was good, fattening, just what I needed!  Poor DH has not had a real meal in awhile since I am still on a limited diet.  I see my surgeon on Thursday so hopefully I can include more foods in the diet.  Having no reflux sure is nice.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day. 

Love and hugs dear ladies.

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Silvadene is used for burn healing and pain relief.  I have used it for years.  It is good stuff.  I didn't realize it had sulfa in it.  I too think it would only be a local reaction.  Test it out on another spot of skin first, if you are concerned.  Bet you won't react.  My RO and staff had no first hand knowledge of the Emu oil, but had heard of it.  I got that hint from other BC sisters on the boards here, and I decided to go with it.  I swear by it.  

• KAT4856
    KAT4856 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2014

I am new to this radiation discussion board but I wanted to post a question. I have finished 23/30 rads I only have my boosts remaining and I am feeling a lot more anxious lately. I was wondering if anyone experienced this towards the end of their radiation. I should be elated that I am almost done but I feel nervous. Any comments will help. Thanks

• gigil
    edited May 2014

KAT I had the same experience.  Toward the end of rads at the time of the boosts you just don't know what to expect.,  you are so ready to be done, and you feel you can maybe persevere and then they change it up on you by doing the boosts.  I thought the boosts were not bad at all.  The treatment time was less, and it didn't seem any harder on my skin or my energy level.  The one thing I do have to complain about is my techs put a round piece of tape on my chest, to mark their field so they wouldn't have to measure every day.  The first night, middle of the night, that tape itched like crazy.  I reached up and pulled it off in the dark.  That was followed by the most exquisite pain thusfar.  I realized I had pulled the small patch of skin under the tape off completely!  It hurt worse than anything before or after, including the surgery.  Crazy.  So. Say no to tape.  Skin is too vulnerable.  I do think it gets harder at the end, because the end is in sight, and you begin longing for it to be over with!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2014

KAT, I didn't experience anxiety exactly, but I found my most
    emotional time, at least on any extended basis, was just after radiation
    ended. I was manic and positive for nearly all of my months of active
    treatment and then went CRASH when I wasn't expecting to. I looked into
    it and found that's very common. So you may just be a bit precocious!
    Looking at your profile, I see you've been in this wrestling match
    since last September without much of a break. Now the end of active
    treatment is in sight and the whole thing changes. I recommend the book
    After Breast Cancer by Hester Hill Schnipper. There are a few with that main title, so here's a link to the one I mean: http://www.amazon.com/After-Breast-Cancer-Common-Sense-Treatment/dp/0553384252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401046661&sr=8-1&keywords=after+breast+cancer

I
    wouldn't hand that book to a newbie or anyone who hasn't been feeling
    particularly low, because it addresses the dark moments we have as active treatment ends.  It could bring someone down, in other words.  It's
    the right book for someone who's already dealing with the big cloud of "What's my
    future now???" and is eased to hear about how others have managed
    that.

Joan and Sew, I love it that you were together and I love
    the picture!  Amazing sweater, Sew. Josie, beautiful work on your daughter's room.  I've painted my daughter's room twice (two houses) and others as well, and I know it's a bunch of work.  SAB, great news on the graduations!  I'm curious to know what your daughter does.  Mine is super sick of high school but has one more year.  And I feel your pain on the work front.  I'm immoderately jealous of your writing group.  That's just what I need.  Joan, my dad got giardia from a restaurant meal and had to take meds for a long time.  Definitely worth getting checked out.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

RunFree, thanks for the compliment,just glad were finally finished.

Thanks for the tip on the book.Might check that out.

KAT, I felt anxious on and off through the entire rads treatment, but didn't realize how much it affected me until returning to the Cancer center for my follow ups after treatment. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to enter the cancer center again.

• gigil
    edited May 2014

KAT I compare the active treatment phase to running against the wind, and suddenly the wind stops!  Boom!  

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2014

KAT, I experienced a lot of anxiety during the final 1/3 of rads treatment, and actually had a short lived panic attack on my last day, when I though I'd feel so relieved. I think it's pretty normal, and does go away. I think the worry just builds up and doesn't dissipate immediately like it does when you finish a school exam. I assure you, better days are ahead.

• KAT4856
    KAT4856 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2014

Thank you so much everyone. I fell a lot better knowing that this is common. I feel like I have had a goal all along. Get through surgeries, get through chemo, get through radiation. I even kept track of the chemo's left and the radiation's remaining. I have little smiles on my calendar on the radiation days that are done. Now I feel like what is my next goal. I guess I'm nervous about the unknown future even though I know it is a day at a time. I have done everything they have suggested and now I just have to live healthy.

Josie123 - I know that sick feeling when I go to my MO or my BS I have a really emotional time.  If I didn't have friends who brought me I don't think I could go.

Runfree16. Thank you for the book suggestion I will definitely look into it. Some one  also told me about a book that came out recently called Silver Linings.  Have you heard of it?

GigiL I will  definitely object if they want to put any tape on me. I had my first boost Friday but they placed a plastic guide on my breast and made permanent marker dots all around the boost area, which they said they will be doing each day of the boost.

I'm pretty red, nothing hurts only itches. Up near my collarbone I have a really red area that seems to be peeling today but so far I think my skin has held up well. I have used Crabtree & Evelyn with Aloe Vera three times a day since the beginning.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2014

Oh, yes.  I think it was something about my right breast having been the center of everybody's attention for so long--a zillion breast exams, tests, scans, surgery, BS, RO, MO, daily rads, knowing every hallway at the hospital, constantly researching breast cancer, just getting  a handle on what was going on, and suddenly, here came. . . nothing.  I swear I now know how the baby bird feels when its mother boots it out of the nest.  It was pretty freefall-ish for quite a while.  The rads department had an NP whose job it was to follow up on us.  Amazing how I'd overlooked it, but she pointed out that all this physical and emotional stuff gives a huge whack to the entire system and, lo and behold, weird, unprecedented, and temporary, things happen in our heads. 

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2014

Joan and Sew, what a beautiful picture! So nice that you got to get together. Special. and the sweater is gorgeous!

Josie- love the vibrant color for your DD room, I bet she is thrilled.

Regarding the Silvadene, I didn't use it for rads but my PS is having me apply it 2-3 times a day to my incision on breasts, tummy and belly button. It definitely is doing something as my tummy incisions are healing nicely.

I hope the holiday weekend is going well for everyone. I am having moments of feeling good but then more moments of tiredness and pain. I keep thinking about feeling painfree and keep wondering when it will happen. I know this is a long road and I don't mean to complain but its just a tough one.

I keep coming on to read in hopes Kate will have posted. She will have a lot of catching up to do. Kate, I am praying for you.

Enjoy the weekend and your families and friends. XO

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Lemon you can complain all you want.  You have been through a lot.  I hope every day will bring more healing and less pain.  I am glad to hear the healing is going nicely.  Rest all you can, because when you rest, you heal.  

Brookside, well said.  It is like being pushed out of the nest.  When active treatment is done, there is nothing to strive for, and it all catches up.  

KAT I keep reading that the secret is exercise, stress reduction, and eating well.  I am reading a book called Radical Remissions right now.  In case after case when people were given very poor prognoses, remissions have come by eating exactly right.  Cancer loves sugar, so it is very good to cut sugar out of the diet completely, or almost completely.  There are lots of dietary guidelines in that book.  I am adopting them day by day.  

I have spent a lot of time researching online.  Unfortunately I have done a lot of that research late at night, when I was tired and especially vulnerable.  I would advise you not do that.  Try to focus on normal life and embrace the every day routines.  They are such a blessing after all you have been through.  Just give yourself permission to take a break from thinking about it for awhile and let yourself enjoy your life a bit.  You can get back to it again when you are feeling stronger and more rested.  You deserve a break.  Absolutely.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2014

Hi KAT, I hadn't heard of that book, but it looks good!  I wonder what her chapter about life after breast cancer is like.  What you said about having a goal, and now not having one, sounds spot on to me.  And what Brookside said about your BC breast being the center of attention.  I actually got really sad when my RO said she didn't need to see me anymore, and I said, "You're kicking me OUT?!!!"  I felt as though I was in a cocoon of people taking care of me, with something else to do next, lots of activity and focus, and then it was just me and my diagnosis, nothing else to think about.  It's a scary time.  I was up and down for about four weeks and then it eased up, but it can take a long time to feel sort of normal, and it takes a different kind of support from others, one that's harder to explain.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2014

Gigil- the sugar debate lives on. I just read an article from MDAndersen that said sugar does not cause cancer nor does eliminating it slow down or prevent cancer. Also a Mayo Clinic report I read agrees with that viewpoint but added too much sugar, we all know, can cause obesity, diabetes and possibly the C word. I think the key words are too much but that could be said of anything we overindulge in. I live by moderation - k I try to. I'm going to have ice cream or a drink occasionally. If that comes back to bite me so be it. We all know people who did everything right and still got the unlucky draw. Just saying. Good for you if you can cut out sugar. Not easy. My youngest son doesn't eat any sweet stuff at all.. ever. How can he be my son? Haha.

Lemon - absolutely bring it when you need to vent/complain. We all do. 

Diane 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

Home from CA trip today...and I hardly know what day it is.
    I am feeling better with reason to believe my digestive issues are over...(some usually leave the body in a week or so); but should I go to a doc anyway to be sure?  Or only if I get a relapse?  Gigi, my DD#1 recommended Culturelle today as well.  Confirmation. 

It's always good to come home...even though there are 100 things staring at me that are undone or need major work.  My grandson played his guitar in our village tonight at an outdoor bakery/cafe.  DH and I went and sat outside an had a drink and some homemade bread and cheese.  It was fun and I love seeing how others enjoy Kyle's original music. 

Redhead, I had broken skin at the end of my rads treatment.  I had to wear a cami with a shelf and I would tuck in a silk scarf between the cami and skin.  It felt so good.  All I used was Aquaphor (MO's 'orders") and a steroid cream which helped a lot in redness, itching, or healing.  I do not remember the name; but it was prescription.

KAT, I did have a very emotional reaction to the end of rads.  And after working straight through, i crashed when it was over.  Slept a lot for 2 weeks (I was off from my college on winter break).  I can really relate to Gigi's comment on running into the wind. 
    But as far as what is ahead....for many of us, it is healing, feeling good, regaining strength, lessening fears, and looking ahead to doing normal things.  I remember how happy I was just to not think about BC every single day.  You may notice that on this thread we talk about many simple things that seem unrelated to BC.  But these everyday things ARE essential to recovery.  You will enjoy recovery as your skin heals. 

SAB, so happy for you and for your DDs who are transitioning into the next phases of their lives.  Just like Mom!  I was talking to a lifelong friend today about the changes in our lives as are last kids are leaving home.  Life is an adventure. 

I do not think anyone on this thread has a contact for Kate.  I think if nobody hears from her in a reasonable amount of time, we may be able to contact the mods to follow up.  Not sure...

• Redheaded1
    edited May 2014

Kat, I just finished my Rads on Tuesday and I told the nurse and the RO that I was starting to feel "separation anxiety".  I wouldn't so much describe having goals, but lets just say I got into the ROUTINE of knowing where I would be everyday and what the week would be like.  And now I feel uncertain and while I always loved to just go where the day took me, and "fly by the seat of my pants", now I seem afraid of not having that structure.....

Now that everyone else has shared, we can relax knowing that this is normal. My RO suggested counseling if it continues.  I did counseling once before a--a year after a major career change and I was amazed at how easy it was to feel better after sharing with a total stranger.  Course, hey all our bc.org friends can be those strangers---eh???

I had heard someone say that Candida (Yeast) overgrowth in the body can cause Cancer, and we all know that sugar feeds yeast......So, cutting down on it isn't going to hurt us physically (Just in our souls, mine craves chocolate)

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2014

I have a question for all of you.  Two years out from. My diagnosis, I continue to see my breast surgeon and oncologist every 6 months-is this common?

• MostlySew
    edited May 2014

SusannahW, I think it's normal.  I've been seeing my MO every 2 to 4 months and I finished rads 2 1/2 years ago.  I just got "released" to a 6 month schedule as apparently my blood work is finally normal and not wildly fluctuating and my osteoporosis is also under control.  I only saw my BS once since rads and do not have a follow up with him at all.  I see you're on an AI also.  I think they continue a 6 month check in until we finish with the AI..... 5 years, I guess...

Joan, glad you're home safe and sound.  It must have been wonderful to hear Kyle play locally.  Good idea about the mods checking on Kate.  I think we haven't heard from her since the 14th so while we all worry, it hasn't actually been all that long? I think she went off the boards for at least this long several months ago.  Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Susannah, I still see my oncologist every 6 months and I am about 1 1/2 yrs out from diagnosis.I think different docs have different protocols.Or maybe it's the type of breast cancer.

Joan glad to hear your back home and your digestive issues are clearing up.But it wouldn't hurt to check with the doc first.