Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2014

Thanks Josie and Joan. Sorry about your grandson's breakup and move, it's hard to see them grow up and move on. I'm not crazy about my youngest son's GFF but I know he really cares about her and her children- a 1 and 4 year old. Both girls with loser dads and he loves kids. Said my peace and staying out of it which is really hard. 

Josie- sounds like you did finally get a Florence Nightingale type and not Nurse Ratchet. Glad she made you feel better. It's too sad they don't realize what a kind word or helpful advice means to us.

Kate- Josie understands what the nurse couldn't do but I am clueless. Don't ever apologize to us for sharing; no one thinks for a second you are self absorbed; we are all just so worried about you. Diane

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2014

Diane, so glad to hear all is well.  Josie, I am glad you were treated with kindness and concern.  Kate, dear lady, so sorry to hear you have been having a rough go of it.  Joan, it sounds like work has helped feel better. Hope Janis is recovering well. I am leaving 50 degree Minnesota to go to Florida for a week to ready my car to be shipped north.  I am just as happy to leave here and get back to some warmth.  It will be a nice break, and hopefully I will return to warmer temps.  Such a busy summer ahead - a wedding, my dad's memorial service, some North Dakota Athletic hall of fame ceremony, a Harvard baseball reunion, a move to a new house closer to my DH's ER -after we sell the old house.  Life is never dull, is it?

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2014

GiGil, a lot on your plate this summer!

Kate, Janis, thinking of you.

Just had my 2year mamo.ultra sound, all clear.  Somehow it always takes me a few days to shake the anxiety I feel leading up to the exam.

Worried about Free, has anyone heard from her lately?

Susannah

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2014

Diane, yes I think that nurse had a complete makeover to her attitude.She really gave me attitude and was more like nurse ratchet last year.I'm thankful she was so nice and understanding this time.

Gigil, sounds like you better rest up in Florida.Busy busy busy...Can I meet you in Florida ? Sounds like a vacation to me.Just kidding I can't miss any work until our vacation in June.Kentucky lake is our plan.I've already been approved for time off work.

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Susannah, good news on your mammo.  It is always a case of PTSD for me too!  Now you can breathe easier for awhile!  I love that sense of relief.

Josie, I would love it if you could come down!  Maybe sometime, huh?

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2014

Hi y'all

A bit behind so catching up!

Susannah - yippee congrats on mammo!  Understand that anxiety...hope over time it dissipates...until then reach in pocket we are there! Hope you had a great MD with your son.

Kate - wow, everything is moving so fast...your team is raging war...hope you are feeling better with some relief.  Hard to believe your nurse was such a smuck ...once had a home nurse that knew less about the TPN infusion pump then I...had a meltdown...they never sent her back ...here's to informed great care!  Our Kate deserves only the best.  In your pockets...

Josie - about face .. Glad nurse racket was gracious to you!  Focus on lake time in June:)

Joan - yeah. Summer is near...a well deserved break from classes..and a visit to SF to see DS! Hold on...you are the rock of your family...warm heart warm arms...:)

Janis - sending healing happy thoughts that all is well,

GiGil - lady on the move!  FL will be nice and after the rats a great celebration of beach time.  Can just see you sunning and planning Grammie memories for the summer:) good luck on the sale and move near hubby's ER!

RunFree - we miss you...training for your marathon?  Run run run:)))

Wow, MDs and all the emotions as our kids grow up raise families and face life difficulties...gosh there's no kiss and bandaid for some things just open arms and prayers.

Feel like a boat tossed on the seas...stay in TX or return to CA...can't get settled in this house for some reason. Today, master bath wallpaper is coming down and new texture coat..than painting, mantel is next, can't seem to get furniture to fit,..gave away too much and what hubby selected just doesn't fit...friends said to go buy more but I'm determine this fits..,waiting on rug to knock out the echo and pup table...than art work...mirror fell off guest bath wall...geeez...we have friends staying next weekend so I got to get this place looking like we live here instead of an empty space with boxes stacked in closet...

Oh, repair all the holes...the previous owner drilled major holes everywhere and no left over paint to match...my work is cut out...patch paint decorate...any design stars want to visit?

Shout Out to all...:D

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

thanks cindy and GiGil!

I had a very nice Mother's Day with my son., DH barbequed, happytohear times. My 32 year old daughter spoke with me on the phone and later texted me "I love you mommy", a name she hasn't called me in years.  A sweet day.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

still worried about Run Free... Any word ?

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Susannah, glad to hear your mammogram was clear and "A" ok Smile

Sounds like you had a great mothers day.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Cindy busy ,busy, busy.Have fun.Don't work to hard.Winking

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2014

OH MY GOODNESS, Brookside called, such a sweetheart, but I am SO sorry you have been worrying about me!  I am fine, just INSANELY BUSY!  I went into a serious work tunnel (including multiple conferences, talks given all over the place, junk like that) and I've just about dug myself out.  Each weekend I think, THIS weekend I'll treat myself by catching up with my BCO friends!  And then every weekend gets away from me.  Of course I have wondered how you all are, and I suppose I've been leaning on the thought that somebody would send me a PM (which shoots right to my email) if needed.  But now I see that Brookside wrote me privately on April 15 and I did not respond!!!  What I didn't think was that YOU might be worrying about ME!!!  I guess it's a good sign that I'm so little worried about myself that it didn't cross my mind that you might be worrying! I really have been terribly remiss.  Our graduation is tomorrow and after that I will look back and catch up properly.  I've missed you all!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2014

Run Free....it's good to hear from you.  I'm quite glad you've just been running Free....well, running ragged by the sounds of it, but it's wonderful to find you're up and running, feeling great and moving on.  We all love that.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

run free, so glad you're okay, better than okay!  It's s a good sign when cancer is off your mind!!

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Glad to hear from you RunFree.We were worried.Take a deep breath and enjoy your time off.

I am a little under the weather this week.Sore throat, cough.I didn't miss work though.Can't wait for vacation.Kentucky lake here we come.June19th can't come soon enough.We are renting a cottage in a little resort.Small but family owned.Hopefully a good choice.We almost chose a better resort but almost twice the price and They wanted the deposit of almost half up front.This place was 1 night stay deposit.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2014

So glad you posted, RunFree!  Yikes.  And very glad I finally called.  Seems all you academic types (you, Joan, SAB) work harder than anyone else.  and all these years I thought teachers and recruiters and everyone else had it so easy--short hours, oodles of vacations, both colleagues and community.  But youse guys are all workaholics!  And Cindi, aka Design Star, it doesn't seem you ever rest much either.

Nice to hear from you, Susannah and Sew, and hoping to hear how you're dealing with all these new challenges, Kate. 

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited May 2014

yay RunFree!  I wasn't too worried but did miss your witty posts.  :-)

If you're ever going to be in the Boston area (you too, Brookside), please let me know!  I'd love to meet up with you!

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2014

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry I haven't posted just haven't been on much. I am doing ok. The pain is a lot worse that I had imagined. I had a 2 hour revision surgery on Tuesday and it really kicked my butt! Good news is yesterday I had 3 of my drains removed, instant relief!! My PS had taped me up so I got to see my "girls" yesterday. They look tired, wrinkly and a bit deflated but very swollen at the sides too. I know that this point they are just making sure they are alive and next step will be to pretty them up. My upper tummy feels like a metal plate is digging into me and its hard to stand straight up. I am healing fast and he says all is good. Overall I just didn't think it would be so tough, I have no regrets and would do it again but holy macaroni this is tough! They removed my upper ribs to get to the breast tissue and that is causing a lot of pain in my upper chest that he said will heal soon. Still on the drugs, I keep trying to not take them but end up taking them as I cant take it. I think of myself as pretty tough but I sure don't feel like it right now.

I have not seen my BS yet but was told yesterday there was no malignancy in my pathology. But there was Atypical hypoplasia lobular which may or may not have turned into C. With my history my odds weren't good. so, that really made me feel like going with my gut was the right thing to do. I have to meet with to get the full report and discuss if anything needs to happen.

Diane- such fabulous news on your mammo! Strangely I have not cried though all of this but reading your mammo was good made me cry! Pure Joy!

Kate- I am so behind but you are always in my prayers. I hope that your leg is better and the swelling has gone down so you can get some relief. You are such a strong brave woman. Its not fair you have to go though all of this but you do it with such grace. Wish I could take it all away for you.

My son and GF and 2 other couples left last night to drive to Sarasota FL, its a 21 hour drive. I am a nervous wreck with worry. They are all 19-20 and so unworldly! I hope they make memories to last a lifetime but I am getting a few wrinkles and gray hairs for sure!

much love to you all.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2014

lemon, I'm so glad you've checked in.  It sounds like a very difficult procedure for sure, but with some of the drains out you should start improving.  You don't have to have any more surgeries do you?  I hope not.

Now, if Janis will only check in I'll feel better.....Janis, I do hope you're doing ok.  If you don't check in soon, we'll have to send Brookside out to look for you....

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Lemon, glad to hear from you.Sounds like you've been through it sweetie.I'm sorry but it is going to get better each day.I have always heard as far as pain control don't wait to long before taking your pain meds.In other words don't let the pain get out of control.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

Checking in from beautiful California.
    After a crazy last week of work, I m finallhy "on vacation"...but I got sick the night before we left.
    I spent most of today sleeping and am hoping to feel normal soon.

more tomorrow if I can keep my eyes open long enough.
    j

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Joan, feel better soon.I know I hope I get over this cold soon.Seems like I've been blowing g my nose about a thousand times this morning.I don't think I will even make it to church.I would literally have to bring my box of tissue.Sorry didn't mean to be so descriptive.At least the sore throat is better.Yesterday we finished my daughter's room.Her bed is finally in.I was so exhausted by last night everything ached.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2014

Greetings ladies, I am so sorry it took me so long to post.  The surgery went well, but they ended up keeping me a second night as I was having some problems.  I got home finally Wednesday and haven't done much.  Between pain meds and the anti nausea meds I sleep a lot.  When I do too much it wears me out.  So, am trying to take it easy for now.  I am on a liquid diet for two weeks.....boring!

Lemon I am so sorry you are having pain and issues from your surgery.  Heal well my sista!

I will write more soon, thanks to everyone who humped into my pocket.  I was so darn nervous and I gathered a lot of strength from your positive energy and love.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2014

There you are Janis....I'm so glad you've checked in, but am very sorry to hear about the aftermath of this surgery.  I think it wasn't a piece of cake...oops, sorry, you can't have cake yet Loopy.   Take it easy, take those meds and soon you'll be feeling normal again, and eating too I think. 

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Janis glad to hear your home.Take it easy.Liquid diet? BummerShocked

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

Thinking of all who are recovering from surgery, tests, radiation...
    Lemon, you have been through a lot in a short time...I hope you feel like you are turning the corner to feeling welll.   Kate, am praying for you and trusting the docs to bring you back to being pain free and mobile again...and that the chemo does its job.
    Janis, wishing you a good day today.
    Run, why do we do all these things....the end of the semester is always packed for some reason.  Today is my school graduation and I am in CA...but our new contract says I must attend graduation every other year at least.  I got pretty burnt out last 2 weeks with students cheating and an ugly confrontation from two girls who cut out of lab and blamed me for not being prepared for their final. 

Cindy, your words are so kind ...as for you, change is so hard.  I guess you'll just have to give it a try....and follow your heart.  What does DH think about the new house? 

Gigi, have a wonderful trip...lots of change for you, too. 

Well, my guys are having breakfast outside and my intestinal bug is still here...hungry but afraid to eat.  Grrrrrrrr....vacation is short and work is so long....am going to find some meds this morning.  I gotta get better.  The weather is perfect here.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2014

Thank you Sew, Susannah, Josie, Brookside, Gemini, and Joan for all the welcoming back!  I really didn't mean to drop off the site like this.  Four conferences in five weeks (including researching and writing new talks) + advising, all at the time of maximum grading, yikes! I am trying to be more research-active but I overdid it!  I am not a good multi-tasker, either.  I'm like an old TV with maybe 4 or 5 channels, and like most of us nowadays, I'm living in a 500-channel world and quite overwhelmed.  Brookside, one of my many life missions is to educate the world about how hard teachers and professors work.  My dad was a professor and worked 80-100 hours a week, year-round, so I sort of knew the job was this hard, but of course he didn't do any of the childcare or household anything.  Too bad we're not paid by the hour!  Anyway I really do want to go back and see what I've missed. I've got more grading grading grading to do but the end is in sight.  Just reading the posts since Friday I can see I've missed a lot here, not surprisingly.  

Lemon, I hope you're out of pain soon!  I agree with Josie about taking pain meds with some regularity in these early days.  It sounds like a pretty big combination of procedures and a lot to heal from.  I sure hope the worst is over though.  Janis, surgery for you too!  Sorry to hear it got complicated.  Two weeks of liquid diet sounds like a recipe for boredom.  Do you have a juicer?  Probably a blender does just about the same thing.  Joan, it's no fair to be sick on vacation!  Maybe the dry CA air will slurp up those germs fast.  Josie, you too?  Spring colds always feel like a rip-off.  Gemini, I will certainly let you know if I can meet up sometime!  It's not a far-fetched concept at all. Thank you for saying my posts are witty. Smile

A colleague was just diagnosed, so I've been thinking about my first few weeks, nearly a year and a half ago now.  Such a sobering, hard, variable journey, and on it goes.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2014

Sew I heard you giggling in my pocket.  I just knew that was you.  Our quiet Sew with a loud soul.  I was tickled to know everyone was there for me.  For that I thank you, all of you!

Joan I feel so badly for you, getting sick during your vacation. That is just wrong!  I hope by now you are feeling much better.  If not I hope you are wrapped up in a nice bed and getting lots f rest.  Your poor body has been through so much. On  top of everything else with your crazy schedule it is no wonder you got sick. You poor thing, please get plenty of rest, don't push and let your body heal.  Huge healing hugs to you my friend.

Lemon I am happy to see you posting, sorry you are in such pain.  Hopefully day by day you will see improvement and a return of your energy.  You too get lots of rest and don't compare yourself with anyone else.  After surgery there are certain things the doctor wants you to do.  Don't let it daunt you.  I know walking is a biggie and I spent long times walking the halls of my floor.  The nurses all told me it was the best way to help with the gas pains. Baby steps, and if your doctor has asked you to walk do what you can.  Every day I walk a little more than the previous day and it helps. 

Josie I sure hope you feel better soon.  I understand the tissue thing.  We both have allergies and blaze through Kleenex.  I hope that you improve.  Congratulations on finishing your daughter's bedroom.  I bet she loves it!

I am fading as I seem to do every day about this time.  I need protein LOL!  Well, I get it from broth and I am allowed dairy so that helps.  I am learning new creative ways to make broth more palatable. I love the veggie broth so I mix it with chicken broth.  Sometimes I mix chicken and beef broth.  Exciting, huh?  LOL.  I am such a rebel!  Hopefully I will only have to stay on the liquid for another ten days or so.  Then I graduate to fun things like oatmeal.  Plain, no fruits or nuts.  Whoever made up this diet is a true sadist!  I am so ready for a real meal! 

Brookside, Kate, Cindy, Run Free.....I am sorry I left anyone out.  You are all very special to me.  Take good care, and hugs to all of you.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Janis, thanks for your sweet thoughts.Your such a trooper on the liquid diet thing.I would feel like I was being punished.I need my solids.Funny how much you miss what you can't have.I didn't even eat lunch today.Just didn't feel hungry.Instead just laid down for a while.My nose has finally stopped dripping.Yay! Maybe today won't be such a bummer.I might get a burst of energy after dinner.

RunFree, I have a lot of respect for teachers and how hard they work.My DD went on a field trip today to st.Louis city they were supposed to go to the Arch but it was too crowded.Her teacher has done this twice this year,he asks a few parents to come and They have a great time.What a neat thing to do with your students.I only wish I could of came.No chance today though.I told Claire how lucky she is to have a teacher like him.He sacrificed his time with his family today to take his students on this field trip.I told her we should make up a scrap book for all the kids to sign thanking him and leaving him with some memories of his students.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2014

Thanks Lemon - hope you feel better soon. I can relate to the anxiety about the kids traveling. I wore my youngest son out when and his GFF and friends took trips. I used to send texts to all of them on the trip. I know they think I'm a crazy person and of course they would be right but I can't help worrying about him and them. They are young and inexperienced but at least there is a group of them. Safety in numbers. 

A summer cold is the pits Josie. Feel better. Your trip sounds heavenly. One of my nephews lives in Louisville. Kentucky is a beautiful state. 

I have several friends who are teachers as is a stepson, daughter in law and mother in law. I know how overworked you guys are. I admire what you guys do in educating our young. It is a tough job to be sure. 

Run free- I remember when I was DX too. One of the ladies in my BC group just lost her battle with BC. Her daughter, also DX, is also in our group. I think the reality of life and death of BC just smacked us in the face. Hope your colleague does okay. 

Susannah - congrats on your 2 year all clear! 

Will write more later..just back from grand daughters HS graduation from GPS in Chattanooga - she is going to Furman - a 95% scholarship! Unheard of but daughter is so grateful! Diane 

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Just reading up and glad to hear from Lemon, Janis and RunFree.  Ladies taking pain meds, my husband always says to keep the pain managed.  If you avoid your pain meds, the pain takes hold, and it takes more medication to get it under control.  

Joan no fair be sick on vacation.  Are you drinking bottled water?  A change in water can play hell. Josie, could you be dealing with allergies?  I am in Florida for a week, having my car shipped north.  I love being here.  The weather is spectacular.

Shout outs to all of you.  I got a reminder before I left, my yearly mammo is due in July.  UGH! I am writing a grant for a medical school program, house hunting, and staging our old house.  I hate this fear every year.  I Know we all go through it.  I am just grateful to live most of the year not even thinking about it - much.

Hope you all have a great week!  You surgery patients take good care!  As for me, I am going to immerse myself in the festive mood around here, and soak up that sun.