Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2014

Susannah, congrats on the good report.  I love hearing good news.

Gigil, I also get my mammo in July.  I have to admit, sometimes I worry more about finding something outside of the breast. But glad to get the good mammo report.

Diane, it's so nice that you went to the graduation.  I love celebrating milestones with the grandkids.

Thanks for all the empathy--  I was sick the day before I left so it isn't anything here.   I took some over the counter meds to quiet down my lower intestines.  I swore I'd stay on liquids today but....I went out this evening for a walk along the waterfront.  The guys ordered beers - I decided I wanted champagne.  I felt better after that.  We went for Chinese and I had broth and a little white rice.  Then gelato...hey, I think I'm coming back to life. 

Janis, you are too kind...I choose to work those long hours of overtime...I had a late start in working; and am trying to make up for helping 6 kids through college.  But it does take its toll as it did this year.  I hope you are having a good week end.  What is your weather like now?  I hope it's just right and you are enjoying your walks.

Josie, I love your idea for the scrapbook (or even a photo signed by the kids?) - some teachers do go out of their way.  I took my college kids to a beach with 200 ft. bluffs where we could see across the sound to CT.  The following week I took some others to NY to a museum.  I was exhausted but some would never go otherwise.  Your daughter's teacher sounds wonderful.
    I hope your allergies clear up soon.

Kate, check in when you can...it's crowded here in the pocket...can't hear what's going on out there.
    Big HUGS!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2014

Hope you both, Lemon and Janis, are feeling lots better.  Lemon, I am so jealous of your nice flat tummy. Can't wait for you to get through all the icky pain part and start posting about your new and extra gorgeous figure.  Oh, and the new wardrobe with the tiny waistlines you'll have to acquire.  Janis, by now that liquid diet must be getting boring, boring, boring. You must be so looking forward to when you can eat anything and everything.  No more reflux.  No more sleeping with 87 pillows propping you up.  Yay! 

Hope you're doing OK, Kate; we all know  you're facing some challenges and wish you would let us know how things are going.

Gigil, you certainly are the busy bee.  Must be that Florida sun.  Power rays?  Maybe I should take a little trip down there--the weekend was nice, but it's 34 highly annoying degrees this morning.

My heart goes out to your colleague, RunFree--yanks me back to my own day of diagnosis, and, boy, haven't we all travelled quite the road!  Sometimes we're zooming along on the expressway, sometimes caught in gridlock, but moving, and moved, on, simultaneously recovered and recovering.  I'm so grateful for this thread.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2014

thanks Edwards!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2014

Gigil, no I know it's a cold and not allergies, but hopefully it gets better soon.I tried to rest yesterday afternoon and felt a little better when getting up.My daughter came down with it too and it hasn't seemed to slow her down yet.

Joan, yes my DD has a special teacher.He does joke around a lot with the kids and some of them don't take it so well.But over all I think he really cares.Unfortunately he has lost a few former students due to suicide and overdose.These kids went to school with my oldest DD.I know your a good teacher too Joan.I remember you go on that trip to NY with your students.That's wonderful.They are very lucky to have you.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2014

Josie, there is nothing more cruel than a spring cold. Hope it all goes away soon.  My DD suffers so much in the spring, but hers is allergies.

Joan, maybe we can hold hands as we go through our mammos.  Like you, I worry more about things outside of the breast.  It is like walking on eggshells year after year.  I have made some good changes along the way, however.  That is a positive.  However, every little strange symptom puts me on high alert.  Is there any pill or therapy to relieve that?  Sometimes I can be philosophical, and sometimes I can't.  I suspect most of us ride in that boat.

Kate, thinking about you, and hoping you are calm and comfortable.

Brookside, I would love to meet you sometime.  Anytime I am down here soaking up the sun's power, you are welcome to come and join me.  That goes for all of you wonderful Sisters.

I hope this week brings healing for you Janis and Lemon.  

I love hearing about teachers who go so far beyond for their students.  It is inspirational.

• joan811
    edited May 2014

Josie, thanks for saying that...your DD's teacher has seen the worst ... I had a student who lost 2 of his friends to copy-cat suicide...he came into my office one day and collaped and cried and i hugged him (not allowed) and told him about God and Hope ... he came back a year later recentered but not unscarred. Sometimes things just pass our way as parents or teachers that force us to look at things others don't see. 
    I hope your cold is better.

Gigi, ok -let's have our mammos together!  And no, there is nothing to stop the worry even when we are sure it's nothing.  All we get is one day at a time so we had darned better enjoy it.

Hey today I had energy and my hyper intestines are sort of under control.  I ate 2 great meals to make up for missing 3 days and I took a ride with DS to Mt. Diablo (geologic wonder) just an hour from the bay area. 

Tomorrow will be a special day - will report later!

Sending thoughts and prayer to Kate...hope someone hears from her soon.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

Joan,and Gigil thanks for your kind sympathy on my cold.I'm much better today.Unfortunately my boss asked me to come in for a few hours today.I've not slept well .Woke up at 4:44 am because I heard DH coming out of the bathroom which of course prompted me to have to go and couldn't go back to sleep.Kept thinking about how behind I am even around the house but seems like I can never get caught up.Then my mind begins racing wondering why? Why am I having a hard time keeping up? Why am I exhausted a lot.I personally think I am still suffering the mental anguish of what I have been through for the past year.It's kind of ridiculous.I mean this doesn't make sense.I'm frustrated with myself.

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2014

Just joined this thread because I start radiation soon but I see the recent pages have not been about radiation and I don't want to read the prior 336 pages :). I am hoping some of the original posters who are a couple years post radiation will see this and give their input. My questions are:  I know of someone who had radiation to the neck, as well as mastectomy area and underarm. I would like to know the after effects of the radiation, as I am worried about quality of life afterwards. Did anyone have radiation to neck, and did you suffer taste/thyroid or any problems afterwards? Did anyone who had radiation to the underarm area have problems afterwards (I still have numbness and aching in that arm from the surgery). Also, did anyone have radiation along with herceptin infusions, and how did that affect you during treatment? Thanks for the input!

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Deblc, I can talk about radiation to the breast and under arm.   I am soon to be three years out from treatment.  I had some skin breakdown during the last part of my treatment.  The staff at the radiation oncology department gave me special dressings and lots of TLC.  I found emu oil after reading about peoples' success with it.  It helped me more than anything.  I bought mine on Amazon.com.   My breast was both irritated and itchy for a few weeks afterward, and my thyroid function declined.  I was already hypothyroid, but my dose of synthroid had to be increased.  My white blood count went down temporarily as well.  I felt like I needed extra naps during and after treatment.  My radiated breast is a bit smaller than the other one.  Now, on some occasions, my ribs and rib muscles get tender, but it doesn't last.  Mostly I feel fine.  I had a friend who had his mouth and throat radiated.  He told me had had troubles swallowing and tasting, but that has improved with time.  Hope this helps. 

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Josie, in light of the huge life challenge you have faced and that job that causes you stress, I would say you are just about doing the best you can.  Please don't be so hard on yourself.  You have been sick lady, just make a written plan with one home task to complete a day.  Before long you will be over the cold, and maybe a little more caught up.  Enlist that wonderful family you have to help you get through your list.  Mostly go easy on yourself.  And get some sun if you can.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2014

Hi y'all

Debic  - welcome and best wishes for your rads. My rads focus was at 12 o'clock and under arm...no problems, but LE is issue.  You may check out the Spring 2014 Rads and Herceptin threads...I have a gf 5 years out from both doing well.  Breathe, you got this.

Joan - SF trip:) hope you meet up with those SF Bay gals:) enjoy your adventures with DS:)))

Josie - ah, your work environment.  Glad your cold is under control. Tell hubby to tip toe...

GiGil - just a few more days in FL ) enjoy... Hard to part with country home, but sounds like the rats have helped and DH was be happy to cut time to ER!  How are those GKs?

Kate - your pockets are so full...sending sunny healing days full of comfort and smiles:) hope your chemo is going well, leg is shrinking, and bms are regular...all the best for our glam princess :D

Lemon - hope you are rounding the bend...drains coming out and girls tummy are feeling like they are good...oh the adventures and choices that come with this c ticket ride.

Janis - speedy healing to you also..where are all those cake balls!

Brookside - thanks for finding our lost RunFree!  You northern girls are so lucky to be able to hang out together.

Too many to post individual...but thinking if of y'all!

Went fly fishing on Pedernales River GFs home so beautiful standing in the stream, big TX blue sky and breeze...evening gathering but oh what a homesite on the river...this SoCal beach girl sure does enjoy TX water!  Ok, back to priming walls for paint...geeez 10 ' ceilings to cut in...friends coming this weekend for dinner and dancing so I've got to get this done...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Cindy, you always have such good times.  I definitely want to learn fly fishing!  Not rats, but mice in the garage!  Bad enough.  We are trading up to a place in the big woods, hopefully on a lake, halfway between  all of the kids and GK.  You are right though, Florida for a few more days and then back to the country to finish my work!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2014

Joan and Gigil - good luck on your mammograms; I know our BP goes through the roof b4 the test. Mine did. My dr said they should start taking it b4 and after. Maybe our anxiety will lessen as we get further from our DX.

Deblc - welcome. This is a great group of ladies; best on this website. I had 33 RADS treatments in June/July 2011. I did fine with them except for slight burning issues and fatigue halfway through the treatments. That's pretty much it. I had the best techs too. I scheduled the treatments when their doors opened in the morning. Wanted to get them over with. I know effects can show up years later but for me so far, so good.  Getting concerned about Kate. Anyone know how to find out how she is doing? Diane 

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

deblc, I have to second edward's response-my experience pretty much mirrored hers.  The only after effects I had were some tightening in my underarm area and a slight decrease in arm range of motion, which was fixed by a bit of physical therapy. My breast is still a little   sore, not bad though, and according to my BS this will not go away.  I will always have to be careful about sun to the radiated area.  Despite the negatives I think the be fits of radiation were well worth the protection it offers.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

meant to write the negatives were worth the benefits.

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Edwards I am getting concerned about Kate also!  

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

Edwards  and GiGil, me too!

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2014

Deblc, I had no problems with rads, except for totally freaking out about the very concept.  I really used, and used, and used the techs, the head tech, the nurses, the RO.  I felt like a wimp, but they made it very clear that lots of patients are traumatized by the very idea of radiation therapy.  Generally, everyone was very alert to any skin changes I had (all minor), but it was up to me to voice my deepest, darkest, concerns.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2014

Josie, the thing that got my house under control was flylady.com.  She recommends starting by polishing your sink every night.  Amazingly, once you commit to this, the polish kind of oozes out over the rest of the house.  If I remember correctly,she also advises tackling challenges in 10 minute segments.  It works.  It would work even better if you could convince your kids to cough up 10 minute contributions.  Also keep in mind that spring has just sprung and there's all that changing over stuff to take care of, so we're probably all (I certainly am!) way behind on the Suzy Homemaker challenge..  Also, the post rads thing hangs on and on.  I'm over a year out and my concentration is ever improving, but still not back to normal.

• joan811
    edited May 2014

Hi Deblc,
    I cannot address some of the questions you have asked.
    I can tell you that, in general, my experience was pretty easy with no lasting effects.

I had a rash or red "dots" which became very itchy throughout the weeks. My RO gave me steroidal cream.   I worked full time but took off Fridays.  After rads, my skin cleared in two weeks.  My surgery side began to reduce swelling gradually.  I have no lasting side effects.
    I hope you get the additional specific answers you need.
    Thinking of  you,
    Joan

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2014

Thank you so much for all your responses.  I think I am experiencing treatment fatigue after the chemo, especially since I still have to do herceptin for another 9 months, so I feel like I will be doing chemo for over a year. I really am not mentally ready for the daily radiation PLUS herceptin.... your answers have helped to prepare me to move forward.

• josie123
    edited May 2014

GiGil and Brookside,thanks for the support.I feel a little better today.I know I need to delegate chores to everyone.But the top of my list is to find a new job.Yesterday was bad.Surprise meeting with both managers in my office.More or less boils down to "why can't you work any faster?"we have done every thing in our power to help you get caught up But we can not take other people from their jobs to help you do yours"My boss even went so far as to ask me if I think I can handle it? I told her I thought I could but apparently they don't.Oh well.I'm done.But will not quite without about her job so I better get busy.The only regret I have about the meeting is that I broke down and started crying in front of them.

Last night I got home and had this crazy idea to put our trampoline together.Lesson learned.Never attempt this when dog is out on the tie out in the backyard with you.She saw the neighbors and took out after her I went flying to the ground and metal poles went flying.I got a bump on the head.One of the poles was dented.I think it was from my hard head.But I continued with that trampoline.We got quite a bit done before dark.

• brooksidevt
    edited May 2014

Josie, please call or go to your doctor (any of them) and get a note that explains that you have (whatever dx) post-treatment deficit, that you will improve slowly, and that you require a reasonable accomodation of an additional x hours/week to complete your work.  If you do this, I"m pretty sure they will be legally required to back off and the torture will stop.  If you do nothing, they will just continue to badger you, and that benefits no one, not even them, but especially not you.  Be sure to tell your doc how they are treating you. Meanwhile, kindly take out some of your frustration on something physical, maybe even housework. 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2014

A Quick driveby post to let you all know I am alive.

Josie...so sorry hon. Your boss(es) sound really awful. Hopefully you can find another job soon!

Cindy our flyfisher girl!

Gigil...FL sounds like heaven to me right now!

Susannah, congrats!

Brookside, glad you came out of hiding. Busy girl you!

Joan, my mammo is the first week of August...eeek! My second one since diagnosis..nervous!

Lemon, glad you are on the mend!

Kate, our warrior princess....praying that you are ok! Please check in as soon as you can, ok? xo

To all the rest of you, hope you have a wonderful day and a great Memorial day weekend. I have a tag sale coming up this weekend and man, are they work! But, there is so much crap I need to get rid of!

Speaking of which, I have an IPad for sale if anyone is interested. It is a retina display, used about 30 mins and brand new condition. It was 600 bucks new. Let me know if you are interested via PM and we can come to a fair price if you want it.

Also have an apple gift card worth 400 bucks (and don't use apple products!) if anyone wants to purchase this, let me know as well...

I won these things on Deal Dash by the way...lol

I thought I wanted an I-Pad, but it turns out, I don't. I am fine with my phone and my laptop.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2014

April I am happy to see that you are still with us.  I hope you can pop in more often.

Josie, you poor thing, you sound so overwhelmed.  I have worked under a pressure cooker before and it is no fun.  Keep up the façade of being upbeat and positive at work.  I know how hard that is to do, but it is much better than letting them see how vulnerable you feel.  Do your best to not let them get to you.  You are a busy woman, raising a family, trying to run a household and caring for others, dealing with the after effects of BC and also hold a job.  Put that into perspective Josie and see all the positive things you do on a day to day basis.  I know the job is terrible, but give yourself some credit for juggling all the things you do.  Pat yourself on the back Josie!  Also make sure to take a little time just for you.  Do something you enjoy even if it is just for 30 minutes.  You set aside that special time and let everyone know you are putting on your 'Do Not Disturb" sign!  I had a lot of stress when my kids were small and DH worked out of state.  I had no family nearby and I often felt so alone.  When Dh was in town my escape was the bathtub.  A book, a glass of wine, and a nice hot bath did wonders for me.  You need (and deserve) that little bit of time for just you.  Whatever relaxes you or brings you joy, do it.  Everyone will live, the laundry will keep.  You would be surprised what a small snippet of down time does for the soul.  Please, no matter what, don't let those clowns at work hurt you or make you doubt yourself.  You are trying and doing the best you can.  This is what matters.  You are a sweet young woman and you have the strength to kick cancer to the curb.  You are stronger than you realize Sweetie!

Sending you big hugs, wish I could give you one in person.  :)

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

April, thanks, good to hear from you.  In your pockets this August!

Josie, there are no words to describe how a bad boss can break your spirit-talk about hostile work environment!  I wish I had some good suggestions.  

• gigil
    edited May 2014

Josie, please take Brookside's excellent advice and go to your doctor for that note to present to your employers.  You have been through a lot, and you deserve the support of your medical team and the understanding of your employers.  Please, please do this in order to take care of yourself.

Brookside, thanks for the cleaning advice and website.  I shall try it!

Janis, glad to hear from you.  You sound strong and sure.

Kate, praying for you, my dear.

Susannah,  i think you just got the all clear on your mammo, if memory serves me right.  So glad you can breath easier fora bit.

Anyone see Dr. Oz yesterday and the news about the Harvard study that says eating peaches will prevent breast cancer by 40%?  This girl went right out and bought some peaches!

• SusannahW
    edited May 2014

thanks for the info GiGil, I like peaches!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited May 2014

Hi ladies,

Just finished my rads on Tuesday---did pretty good till 26/28.  Doc had to talk me in off the ledge of bailing on the last two---but I made it and I am grateful to read your comments to Debic. They help me too.  Honestly thought when I looked at myself today (when I should have been getting Rads, if they had not ended yesterday) that I already look and feel better....

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2014

redheaded...woohoo...time to celebrate!  You're done, done, done!  You probably will feel tired for a couple of weeks, so be sure to continue to take extra care of yourself and drink water and eat those proteins.  You will feel better and better each day, and the girls will too.  Don't forget to continue to moisturize lots as your skin is trying to rebuild itself.  I'm so glad you went ahead and did the last 2 treatments, this way you can't have any regrets.  

Deblc, I never had chemo or herceptin so I can't address that issue.  My sister-in-law just finished rads after completing her chemo and it seemed to me her experience with rads was much the same as mine was.  When you're at the beginning of the schedule, it seems as though 33 treatments will take forever, but it's surprising that you quickly get into the routine and the weeks pass much more quickly than you expect.  I'd recommend you hydrate, moisturize, exercise reasonably and take rests as often as needed.  Your body is going thru lots while combating this cancer, and you need to pamper yourself and give the drugs and radiation and your body a chance to win.  Yes, a year of treatments is a long time.  But you've already made it thru chemo and that must have been close to 6 months......  Take care and join us as needed, we're all here cheering you on...