Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2014

Thank you, 70Charger and you are certainly no village idiot!  Diane is right, she can save it for later or she can have a manicure done or something.  That was very kind of you.  The important thing is we are all showing Kate how much we miss her and love her.

I am ready for tomorrow, drinking lots of water tonight, so be ready to jump in my pockets early in the morning!  I am nervous but also ready to get this PET scan done with.  I will update you all tomorrow evening.

Have a good night everyone!'

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2014

Diane, no problem I didn't think you implied anything.I came home tonight and my DD was already wearing her new clothes.I had hung them to dry last night and I guess she found them dry enough to wear.She was even wearing make up(light)

My baby is growing up too fast and is beautiful.She had her hair all done up in a neat bun.Jealous.I was such a ugly child.I don't know where she gets her looks.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2014

BigD thinking about you tonight.  I am wishing you a good night's sleep and relief when it is over.  We will be there with you!

Cindy, so sorry to hear about your DH.  He has had more than his share this year.   I can tell you do well at keeping the energy positive.

I sent a card out to Kate today as well.  I hope it sparks some good feeling for her.  She is so loved here.

Joan, hope you had a great visit with your DS.

April praying for that baby on the way and your son.  Too much worry!

Good weekend for me.  Time with DD and grandkids at a walk and roll for SMA, the disease that has my grandson Cole in its grips.  He is at MDA camp this week, hopefully catching lots of fish.  He never complains or questions why he has SMA.  He is an inspiration to me.  Yesterday we drove 6 extra hours to take my BIL home after his daughter's grad party.  He has had some horrendous health issues this past few years.  I am tired, but glad we could do that for him.  Now we are staging the second home to get it ready for sale.  Lots of work!

Beautiful weather this week in Minnesota!  Loving summer!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2014

BigD, I'm in your pocket too!  What GiGiL said is exactly how I feel!

April, thinking of your little grandchild and your son.  I hope you get relieving news and soon.

Lemon hope you're feeling good today, and even better tomorrow.

GiGiL, New Hampshire has also finally agree it's summer, and it's so lovely!

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Big D in your pocket too.Boy it's crowded in here.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

GIGIL, glad you had a good weekend and that Cole got to go to camp.I'll bet he will have a great time!!

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

Big D, with you for tomorrow. Kind wishes and lots of prayer coming your way.

I am sorry to hear Kate isn't seeing friends. I sent my card yesterday but it probably didn't get picked up till today. Charger, I remember Kate saying this type of chemo shouldn't cause hair loss, your no idiot. I am sure she will be touched by your kindness.

Gigi glad you had time with family this weekend, sounds nice. Cole is definitely an inspiration we could all learn from.

I am doing okay, lots of Advil and its helping I am getting smaller :) I worked today, a full 8 hours! Not sure I will do it tomorrow but it kept my mind off of things which was good.

April wondering how the baby is doing and mom and dad? And of course you?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2014

Here's to a super scan, BigD, looking normal, normal, normal. Will be with you all morning, and maybe longer. However long you need.

Gigil, you win the energy award.  It never fails to amaze me how much you can accomplish in a single weekend.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

My Claire
  • gigil
    edited June 2014

Cole's crew at the SMA Walk and Roll for the Cure.  Behind Cole on the scooter is Maya and me behind her.  Not much taller than the grandkids these days.  They are tall kids, I am a short grandma.  Ha! Ha!

• gigil
    edited June 2014

Pretty girl Josie!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2014

Josie, she is lovely!  And GiGiL, I love Cole's smile and Maya's too!  I say you're the perfect-sized grandma for those kids.

Thinking of you BigD....

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2014

Beautiful pics Josie & GiGil!   Big D's pocket is crowded this morning.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

GIGIL great pic of you and Cole.Thanks for the nice comment on Claire.

RunFree, thanks also.

I am in your pocket Big D.

I woke up with such hip pain this morning I had to literally drag my leg out of bed.But as I got up and walked it pretty much worked itself out.Not sure why.

I had some hip pain in fall 2012 before my Breast cancer diagnosis and the orthopedic DR said it was bursitis.I did physical therapy for a while .I never went back for a follow-up with that doc because it was in the midst of my Breast cancer surgery and recovery.

Please pray for my FIL.He has multiple myloma and it was in remission as of Christmas and now it's back with a vengeance.It is more aggressive.They will probably do a bone marrow transplant.He's having the bone marrow tested today.They are seeing him at Siteman center.They start chemo already next week.

So sad.He's such a kind and dear man.My mother in law said in April they were suspecting then it might be coming back.Apparently they could tell by the increased protein levels in his urine.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2014

BigD/Joan, in your pocket right now...hoping for only good reports.

Josie, what sad news to hear about your FIL.  There is never a right time to hear things like this...and it affects you all.  My thoughts and prayers go out to your family with hopes that the bone marrow will give him some renewed quality of life.  You are at that stage in life where you have both kids and parents to worry about -- sometimes that leaves little time for YOU.  Try to find a few moments each day to rest your mind.  And I could never ever imagine that you were anything but a beautiful child!  Your daughter is so naturally fresh and pretty!  It's amazing how quickly they grow and change. 
    We just spent about a week of hard labor around our house getting ready for my son's 24 hour visit with his girlfriend.  We pulled it off - the house looked good for a day!  Flowers and new cushions on the deck really took the focus off a yard that needs a year of work.  We cleared the decks in side the house too and it all went well.  We do have our corners and closets where all things end up temporarily...and i have to get to those eventually.

Charger, how thoughtful...if there is any way Kate can use the GC she will.  There are many possibilities.  Don't second-guess your thoughtfulness! 

Gigi, what a great photo!  Cole is so big!!  Maya, too.  And you are just the right-sized grandma (coming from a 5'1" grandma here)!  You are always there for your kids and grandkids, and even an ex-BiL. 

I am grateful for my job, but I hope that i will have a chance to have time again for the things I should be doing with family.  Speaking of work, I am supposed to be there...up and out now!

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Thanks Joan, I appreciate the prayers.I will try to follow your advice and take time out for myself.Congratulations on your cleaning spree.I would clean like that too if my oldest DD would just bring her new "friend" by.Sounds like he is is head over heels for her .He even broke up with his GF so he could be with her.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2014

Josie - Prayers for your FIL. I know it is a scary time for your family. I hate to hear DX where the cancer comes back with a vengeance. Isn't it enough we have the C word? I watch the Mike and Mike show on ESPN who sponsors the Jimmy V Foundation for cancer research. They have raised millions. I hope a cure is found in our lifetime. I don't know of anyone who hasn't been affected in some way by cancer.

Love your pic...and by the way I am a 5'-3" grandma. Everyone towers over me too haha.

Joan - I have done all the "Spring" cleaning I am going to do. I have de-cluttered everything I can and then some. It wouldn't pass the white glove test but it is presentable.

We have been inundated with rain, tornadoes and severe thunderstorms...every day for a week. Enough already.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited June 2014

Josie prayer & well wishes for you, your family & FIL.

Spring cleaning? I save that for icky cold rainy days, or better yet winter time.  I have a new appreciation for being outside in the sun.  We had such a long miserable winter topped off with treatments. I have a lot & I mean a lot of flower bed to take care of & my hard work is showing this year.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Thanks Diane and charger.I appreciate all the prayers we can get.I thought it was a bone marrow transplant but instead a stem cell transplant so I guess the bone biopsy today will tell them if he's eligible for that.They would have to destroy his bone marrow and he would be in the hospital for 3weeks And then at home in isolation for like 3 weeks.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2014

Josie,   Your Claire is just beautiful and of course she takes after her mom!  I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL.  Your family has already been thru too much.  I hope he's eligible for the stem cell transplant because while the recovery sounds tough, it does sound hopeful that it would work for him.

Gigil, Cole has got just the biggest smile, and you too!  All 3 of you are clearly enjoying yourselves and that's wonderful to see.  He is an inspiration for sure.

Joan, that's one way to get the cleaning done!  I'm thinking I need to invite my fiber friends over for a meeting again so I'll tackle more of this house, although I've spent the last 2 days painting the bathroom.  Now I get to go buy new towels as a treat.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Thank you Sew.Your so sweet.I really went through a ugly duckling stage as a preteen.

• gigil
    edited June 2014

Josie, I would bet we all have gone through our ugly duckling stage.  I go in and out, actually.  Ha! Ha!   I know a man who just went through what your FIL is facing.  He came through it very well, but it was a challenge while it was ongoing.  It is definitely worth a try, as the results can be quite dramatic.  My father was too old to even give it a try, sadly.  Here's hoping it all goes well.  

Thanks for the sweet comments about the grandkids.  I love them beyond reason!  My daughter is in the pic too.  She is peeking out above the lady in the white cap (who is Cole's personal aide).  DD likes to hide from the camera!  Diane, Joan, being short has its advantages sometimes, right?  My DH is 6'4" and he was attracted to short dark haired girls!  Lucky for me!

BigD thinking about you and hoping you are doing well.

Joan, I am cleaning and sorting again today.   I tell myself Just Keep Working, Just Keep Working, Just Keep  Working!  Gotta get this place on the market and move on with our lives!

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Thanks Gigil, I was thinking about him around 4pm when he was supposed to be getting a bone biopsy.Claire and I went fishing in the rain.She caught 1 little blue gill.It was so peaceful at the pond.This was at the same little park we went to last year.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2014

K BigD - you have all of us praying for you so it's gotta take. 

Your daughter is lovely Josie. I went through the ugly duckling stage 2. It could have been since I was such a tomboy until I was like 15. Had no choice with 5 brothers! 

I sent Kate's card today. Looks like we staggered them which is good because she will be getting one almost every day. 

Diane

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014

Big D---hope your day went as well as can be expected.  You been on my mind and heart all day.

• josie123
    edited June 2014

Diane, thanks for the nice comments about DD and sympathizing about being the awkward teen or pre teen.I don't think she will have to worry about that though.She is a little self conscious about her weight and development at her age.She could easily pass for 13 but is only 11

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2014

Look at this babies face.. It was too darling not to share with you all.

Will write and read more later.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2014

Whoooo what a long day, I am glad to be home and about to eat din-din.

The scan was easy, easier than the bone scan I had and easier than the spinal MRI I had.I got in 30 mins early because two of the other patients had not shown for their appts. After injecting me with the glucose and radioactive dye, they let me sit with my feet up in a recliner for 45 mins while I watched TV.That was nice!

The scan itself was done in two parts.They did the upper half of my body first which took about 25 mins, thenI took a 10 min break and went to the bathroom while they set up the machine for the second part.The second part only took 12 mins.I was at work by10:30 so had to stay until 6:30 so I can get my 8 hours in.

You all bring a tear to my eye with your words of support.I thought about each of you today, all stuffed in my pockets. My friend who took me was wonderful. He knew exactly how to get there and it would have been a struggle for me to find it, so I was so grateful to have him there.

Wednesday I see my RO and have already been told he will not be there. A fill-in doc will be there,which I am not happy about.I was hoping to talk to him about this and see what he thinks.I have not been impressed with his fill-indocs but oh well. Maybe this one will be better than the last two I saw there.This is my first appt since my rads.

GiGiL, LOVE the photo!  Cole looks so cute on that scooter with that big smile.You are the perfect size, Granny.That is a great group shot.So glad you hada good weekend.I have done some volunteer with sick children,and I think honestly they handle things a lot better than many adults.I do not know why, you would think it wouldbe the opposite.Your grandkids are lovely, and so is your daughter.  I always love to see photos.

Lemon, keep on keepin on, you are getting stronger every day.I agree about work.It helps to distract me as well.Thanks for sharing that sweet baby’s face,just adorable.

Claire is beautiful, Josie.Thankyou for sharing that photo of her.

Josie, I am praying for your FIL.That has to be so difficult for him and for your family. It’s true, cancer affects everyone now, in one way or another. It makes me so angry to see so many people hurting because of the monster. With all of the treatments that we have today, we still have a tremendous hurdle to overcome. It makes me very sad.I  pray he will have a successful treatment and it will give him much more time and relief from pain.

Joan, I have a couple of big closets that are going to be a nightmare toclean out. I am glad you got things looking good.Here’s to the end of clutter!  I swear I am going to make it happen.

Thanks, Redheaded and RunFree for thinking of me. Means alot.

Again, thank you to everyone.  You really bolster my spirits.  I wish Friday would get here so I can just know, but I am ready for whatever comes my way. And with all of you with me, believe me, it helps more than I can say.

• 70charger
    edited June 2014

lemon  love that pic.  Thanks for sharing.

Big D  Glad things went so smoothly for you today.  ugh on the waiting game. Pocket party Friday!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2014

Hi Y'all

BigD - Ooo who pocket party!  Glad you posted before din din :) good news that the test went well and you had a friend there.  Finger&toes crossed for results on Friday xo we got you covered:)

Josie - Claire is a beauty :) prayers for FIL and yippee fishing with dd!  Just hangin with dd is fun!

Lemon - luv the baby's face :D ah...those special times.  Sending easy healing thoughts.  A relaxing summer.

GiGil - :D wow! Luv the beaming faces...Cole especially!  You should be so proud...tiny gma:) your home will be best in show and staged perfect$$$

Ladies, ladies...the secret to hoarding is moving...yes, if you move every 1-2 yrs it forces you to not hoard so you won't have to pack! Too costly to pay movers to haul 'stuff' take pics and log your stuff and find needy organizations that are so excited to receive your donation...put take pic log with values.

Headed out to my old stomping grounds for an early morning kayak outing tomorrow.  Now an hour away:(  I so miss once or twice a week paddles with my GFs this will be my 1st outing with them :)  fun time!

Shouts out to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy