Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2012

Mostly sew, I am so sorry you are experiencing discomfort

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2012

MostlySew...thanks so much and for all your information and great support.  Emotionally I am much better just exhausted over everything.  I went to my PCP this morning for a follow up on the back.  He has suspended PT for that, and not going to send me to a surgeon yet.  He wants my to just take it easy and focus on getting my breast issues under control.  Very very light duty for the weeks ahead unless I develop more pain or discomfort.  The PT on my back was causing too much pain.  Among other things I cannot lie flat on my stomach for any massage.  With the breast swelling it just screams in pain.  My therapist tried to rub my back while I am lying on my side, but it really doesn't work well.  So for now, resting and healing are what he wants.  

Thanks Sue, you have been really helpful.

I hope we hear some good news from Joan soon!

SAB, And Ceeze......so good to see you again.  I have missed you!

Big hugs of course to all!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2012

Big hugs right back Janis!  I have been rooting you on through all of this quietly but enthusiastically!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2012
    Thanks so much SAB!!!  I feel the love, honest!  Laughing
  • joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2012

To my rads recovery sister, thanks so much for the cheers and prayers.  I really felt strangely calm when I went in. 
    I had good news -- they found no blockages and nothing to repair and I was told I could go home after a few hours!  I slept on and off all day/evening....and will go sleep some more in a few minutes.
    I am very happy about this.  I still don't have a reason for the angina-like symptoms but I do have 5 dr. appointments in Feb. / Mar.  so a decision will have to be made about the Arimidex.
    it seems that rads recovery is largely a time to take care of other issues that couldn't be addressed sooner.
    wishing all the best for each of you.

Bear Hugs

Joan

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited January 2012

vivre:  the castor oil treatment.  will try this.  thanks.

• shelley2011
    shelley2011 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2012

Joan, congrats!!!!!  Glad there was a good report, but wishing you could find the cause of the angina.  Arimidex has so far been good to me....started Jan. 1 and no SE's so far....not even hot flashes or night sweats which of course makes me wonder if it is working.  Always something to worry about.

I understand the recovery time as time to catch up on other health issues.  Have appt with PCP in a week to do thyroid and cholesterol levels to see if my meds need adjusting.  Also, time for annual mamm in Feb.  Anyone know if my lumpectomy breast is going to be more painful during mamm?

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited January 2012

Shelly I had my mamm last month - first after lump.  It wasn't more painful b/c of the scar, etc., it was more painful b/c they took more films so my little boobie got smooshed a lot!  Ha ha

Good luck!

• fhar451
    fhar451 Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2012

Thank you for post the website for the exercises. I don't think I ever got any information on exercises during my treatment. I already tried doing the exercises and I feel better. I always wake up with a heaviness in my right breast where I had my lumpectomy. I think these exercises will really help.     

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012

Joan, I am so glad your tests were good.  Good luck with all your appointments in the coming months.  You certanily are right about the after rads months being time to catch up on all of our other health issues.  Thank you for sending us the adorable Teddy bear.

shelley2011, I had my first post BC mammogram three weeks ago.  Having the left (BC) breast done was a bit more uncomfortable than doing the right breast, but it was not painful.  Be sure the techs know about your BC diagnosis so they can be as gentle as possible. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited January 2012

Thank you truebff for the exercises.  I am tightening up, and as you all have suggested, probably from rads, it will be good to have these stretches to do.

Pat

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2012

kindjr66,

Please be careful to NOT put anything with castor oil in the microwave or in washer or dryer.

It will clog up the washer. And it WILL CATCH ON FIRE in microwave or dryer. Castor oil is very flamable.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2012

Joan, I am happy that your test results were good! I hope that your upcoming appointments go very well too.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2012

Janis- Resting and healing sounds good. I hope that you are feeling better soon. Hugs.

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Hi. Glad if the exercise info is helpful. They are boring, but 5 minutes a day Smile is worth it not to keep tightening up. After surgery, they really helped me, but no one told me how much I would tighten up after the boost shots of rad at the end. It has now been 6 weeks out and I am STILL tightening up at site of lumpectomy and armpit! 

Anyone know how long before the tightening stops?

Anyway, I am doing these daily 5 x a week just to keep that tightening under control. There is another one I do that's not in the book that's also helpful:

I lie on the floor on my back with my lower arms out at the shoulder and upper arms bent up. Then I take one knee up and over and drop it over the other leg and let it go down as far as it will naturally towards the floor without pushing it and without letting my arms lift off the floor. I bounce it gently 50 counts then do the other side.

It's a nice easy deep body stretch and it seems to help stretch out the chest and armpit areas really really well and it's relaxing too.

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

I am so glad you have good news Joan. I am still not doing well. I am in pain, and my breast is leaking a yellow fluid. My surgeon said if the leakage get worse she wants to see me over the weekend, otherwise I have an appointment Tuesday to take the rest of the stitches out.

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Oh Kate, ((((Kate)))) (I think that means hugs)

• joan811
    edited January 2012

Yes, ((((Kate)))) more hugs.  I am so sorry you are going through all this.  It's like being in a one way tunnel -- no turning around - just gotta go through it one step at a time.  UGH I pray you will be in a better stage of recovery soon.  Women go through so darned much.
    Thanks for all the good wishes -- I am taking this day to completely rest and I recommend a day of rest for everyone. 
    About the tightening after rads -- I wonder if it has anything to do with the location of the tumor?  I don't have any residual effects from rads except the shoulder still hurts if I lift my arm much.  My incision was on the top of L breast, half way back, and toward the center of chest.  I am wondering if it had been closer to my underarm if I would have more issues there. 
    About the mammos - I don't even know when to go for one. I assume I'll find out when I have my follow-up exams - 3 in one month. I don't expect it to hurt much....am so anxious about checking the other side. I feel like my right side has been ignored and I sometimes am afraid of what I can't see.
    About the Arimidex - shelley, when I started, I got achey for a week or so, then it leveled off...but I did get arthritic pains in joints pretty quickly. I just didn't like the idea that my body may be changing for the long term ... I never had much chronic pain before BC. I never had much in the way of hot flashes and still don't.  I hope you continue to be unaffected...and I'm sure it is working!
    If we didn't have BC we wouldn't even be talking about all this unpleasant stuff.  Grrrrrrrrrrr
    Have a wonderful today!
    Joan

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you truebff and Joan811. Hugs help.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2012

Joan so glad you had good results.... Janis I know how painful LE can be. Just do the best you can. Rest and take care of yourself. Maybe you will find something out soon.... 

Kate I hope your feeling better soon.  Hugs and Prayers everyone. Thinking of you all....

• shelley2011
    shelley2011 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2012

Kate, you have had such a time of it. BIG hugs.

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Today, I went to my Chinese Doctor. I am going a different way (instead of Ai's). My Dh and I feel so relieved and helped.

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you irw and shelley 2011. Getting a breast lift on a radiated breast is not a good idea, but I didn't know how painful this would be beforehand. My non radiated breast is handling the lift much better. My radiated breast is so painful. It burns like heck. My doctor said it could take 3 months for the pain to go away. I am praying it will be sooner than that. I think the remaining stitches are causing problems, and my doctor is taking them out Tuesday. Thank you everyone for your support and have a great weekend.

• SAB
    edited January 2012

Gentle hugs to you Kate.  As my DM used to say "This too shall pass." Hopefully it will pass soon!

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you so much Sab. I sure hope your DM is correct.

• joan811
    edited January 2012
    (((Kate))) I didn't realize that rads could make such a difference in the recovery for you.
    BC never seems to stop bring unwanted challenges...
    I hope your pain is relieved very soon.
    Joan
  • katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you Joan. I went to my surgeon yesterday and she removed some more stitches. The stitches are giving me a great deal of pain and itchiness. Some of the edges are sharp and when they rub up against my bra it is painful and itchy. I am going to her again Tuesday and she will take out more stitches, but she said she has to wait a little longer to take out all of them. Besides this at times during the day my radiated breast starts burning. It feels like someone is putting a cigarette lighter to it. I am resilient and trying to hang tough, and praying the pain will go away soon.

• SAB
    edited January 2012

Bra hurts? Time to go topless Kate! 

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Hi Sab, I WISH I could go topless. After implant and breast lift surgery you have to wear a bra 24/7 for 3 weeks. I can't even get relief when I sleep. I have 11 more days to go before I can go topless.

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Oh KAte!!!!  This is a Time for the Big Drugs.