Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2012

Hi Kate . I am doing ok. Got my MRI results. I have to go see a surgeon to have my gallbladder took out. Waiting on my PCP to set the appt. up... .It still makes me wonder about how much RADS plays in all of this... I guess I will never know. I hope your feeling better today...

Thinking of you too Janis. Hoping you will feel better soon.

Elizabeth so happy  you had good news on your mammogram.......

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

Pat01, Thanks for  the link. I took a look and the exercises are definitely somthing I could do.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012

Pat, Thanks. The more info the better and also the clue that we will have to do this forever (for the lost lymph nodes and underarm tightness) is something no one else told me.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2012

Hi Irw, I am so sorry that you require more surgery, hugs! Steph I am so very jealous about that fire. It was 68 degrees here today, and I miss the cold weather.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited February 2012

Elizabeth- So glad that you have put this first year behind you.  Onward and upward!

Kate- I hope that the new stitches help and that you're pain free very soon!

Janis- Hang in there sweetie. Hugs.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2012

Ceeze......so good to see you and thanks for the well wishes!  Come by more often.  I always love to see your posts.

IRW....so sorry about the surgery you are facing.  Fortunatley gall bladder these days is pretty easy to recover from.  My sister had it last year and was taking care of teenage daughter two days later when she had to have tonsils removed.  My sister is an RN and said she did not take any of the pain meds the doctor prescribed, she had very little discomfort at all.  Hope it goes well for you.  Let us know when you are scheduled.  We'll be there right alongside you!  Big hugs!

I am having huge issues with fatigue and this is new.  I will get up with a ton of energy, just do routine things around the house, then crash.  It will just hit me like a ton of bricks...or as if someone had shot me full of sedatives.  It is so strange.  I have no choice but to cave and let myself sleep.  I have never been a napper and this is so odd.  I can take a three hour nap!  Does this happen to anyone else?  I am just wondering if the Arimidex is finally kicking in and this is part of it.  I don't recall hearing about this type of fatigue from LE. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.  Hugs to all!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2012

Hi Just checking in to say hi.  Elizabeth, glad you got good mammo results.  Janis, I get whammed with fatigue now and again as well.   I can be going along just great and then it hits.  I just go with it, take the nap, feel better and carry on.  I imagine it could be SE's for you.  It seems to be different for everyone.  For me, I have been dealing with thyroid levels thrown out of whack by rads, and low vitamin D.  I am working on both of those things, as well as trying to eat right.

My once a day or once every other day indulgence is one dark chocolate Lindor truffle.  I just let it melt in my mouth.  It is enough for me.  Kate, are you feeling better as the days go by?  I too have a radiated breast that is smaller than my normal one.  It looks odd to me, but I am not worried about it very much.  It is the least of my worries, actually.  Irw333 will your surgery be laproscopic?  That will be much easier to recover from, from what I hear from others I know who have had it.  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  Anyone looking forward to watching the Super Bowl?  I am not a huge football fan but I might travel a few hours to be with my husband during his off hours to watch it.  I will bring him some snacks and make it festive.  He works so hard, I know it will cheer him up, and I will enjoy it as well.  I am planning on getting a lakeside room - overlooking a beautiful frozen lake.  Good setting.

• truebff
    edited February 2012

Go Giants!!!!!!   We LOVESuperbowl here!

Chocolate is the new energy food!!!! :-D

Sounds like a beautiful gorgeous getaway!

(Can't spell on computer w/out typos, hence all my edits :-D)

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

GigiL...wow are you disciplined!  I wish I was able to limit my sweet cravings to a small piece of chocolate every other day.  I try not to buy it, but I still bake a lot from scratch and cannot resist some of the things I bake.  I have really beed bad about dieting and need to be good.  A trip to see your hubby sounds wonderful and he will sure appreciate it.  I hope you are able to go and have a great time.

I don't care about either team in the Superbowl this year, but will watch it anyway.  None of my teams made it...boo!

truebff I am a terrible typist.  Sometimes when I try to edit my whole post disappears!  I have no idea why that happens.  I am an excellent speller, just can't type! :)

• truebff
    edited February 2012

thanks justmejanis, don't know why that is, but computer + me = typos gallore and I never see them til after I post (of course!)

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

Wish you were all here to enjoy my fire with me!  It's been fairly warm here, too, but with the heat off, the fire is perfect!  

Janis, my friend saw a nutritionist and he told her that a treat now and then wasn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it was made with the best ingredients possible.  So, homemade treats are good!

Irw, so sorry that you have to have another surgery.  I hope the recovery time is quick.  

Steph 

• Ceeztheday
    edited February 2012

Irw- So sorry more surgery is needed. Bummer. Please let us know when and we'll be in your pocket. Hugs.

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Hi Gigil, I hope you have a fabulous super bowl weekend. I was feeling awful this afternoon. Then I had an appointment with my surgeon. When I took off my bra at her office I felt so much better. She was having me wear a bra 24/7, but when she saw that taking it off made me feel so much better, she is letting me go braless when I am at home. THANK GOD! So, tonight I feel better.

• gigil
    edited February 2012

Kate, Yay for going braless!!  I am sure it feels so much better  I hung up my bra for two days last week and took out my camisoles again.  I had some fluid over my rib muscles after coughing a lot due to a cold.  It was so soothing to wear them for a couple of days.  Just a gentle body hug, instead of that bra strap pushing down on my sore rib.  At one point when the pain started, I thought to myself, "Uh-oh there is the broken rib due to rads I read about".  Thank God it is much better now.  Well I did it, I reserved the king suite overlooking the lake for the Super Bowl.  Hubby finishes his shift at 7 p.m.  He will come over and enjoy the game with me and then go back to his call room for some good sleep before his next early morning shift.  It will give him a good break though.  He is on a two week run of work and then he will take 24 days off.  It will be worth it when the time off comes.  For now, we take the good moments when we can, right?  I will just enjoy waking up looking over that gorgeous lake in North Woods Minnesota, even if it is frozen.

• gigil
    edited February 2012

Janis, I am thinking of baking something tomorrow to take along with me.  I can't resist the home baked stuff either.  Usually I don't bother to bake just for myself, so that is the saving grace there.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2012

GiGiL, Have a wonderful time in your suite overlooking the lake.  I am so happy for you.  

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2012
    GiGiL- one truffle?  really?? Cool  Sounds like a great week end plan.
    truebff - you got the right team - go Giants....will be watching from the couch and loving the rest.
    janis and Steph, thanks for weighing in on the BC team issue.  I hope to get a sense of what will happen for me over the rest of the year.  Janis, hope you are feeling better.  You are not at all alone.  I have been hitting the wall many days of the week.  My work schedule is ridiculous and last night I hit the wall while teaching a class.  I let them finish up early.  I am so glad it is the week end so I can sleep or at least get rest.
    Have a good night and a great week end.  
    Joan
  • kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2012

hello Ladies:  well I finally start my rads on Monday after several weeks of delays.  Oncotype score was 13, knew it would be low. Thanks for your posts to read and will also post on my progress and if I have any questions.  Also a New Yorker........GO GIANTS !!!!!

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

I must be one of the rare ones here from the west.  I have lived in western states all my life.  Nearly 20 years in Denver turned me into a die hard Bronco fan, but I also love the SF 49'ers.  I have absolutely no interest in who wins this game.  To me it seems like the same teams go every year!  I will watch just for an excuse to make some bad snacks and of course watch some good commercials.

GiGiL...I am so happy you are getting your weekend.  You deserve a break and the hotel room sounds stunning.  Enjoy every moment and leave BC at home!

kingjr66....I am happy that your delays are over and you can finally begin the treatment.  I hope it all goes well...keep us posted please!

Hugs all around!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2012

kingjr66, I hope you will have an SE free rads experience.  Wishing you the best of luck.

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Gigil you are so right, going braless is a relief. I feel much better. Enjoy your suite for the super bowl. It sounds like so much fun. Have a blast.

• GabbyCal
    GabbyCal Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2012

pat01 -

Thank you for sharing the link to the Classical Stretch website. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I tried to ease my way back into resistance training, but clearly my body wasn't ready (6 months after finishing treatments) as I think it took me backwards.

BTW - If you click on the "Other Products" tab, there is a video showing arm strengthening exercises that don't use weights.

Here's the link to the site again in case someone new is reading this so they don't have to search for your original post:

http://www.breastcancerrehabilitation.com 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited February 2012

You are welcome Gabby.  You should try to see if the shows are on TV in your area, I've been following her for a few years on TV and it makes such a difference in how my body feels.  Her website www.classicalstretch.com  It was just an added bonus to stumble upon the breast cancer video on her site.

I actually haven't watched the breast cancer video all the way through yet - leaving for vacation in Costa Rica in the morning, so plan on adressing that when I return.  Will catch up with all of you in 10 days!

• Ceeztheday
    edited February 2012

Pat- Enjoy your trip to Costa Rica. DH and I have been there twice and loved it. We found the people to be friendly and the scenery to be beautiful (once you got out of San Jose and into the rural areas). Safe travels.

Hi Ladies. I would love to follow those of you who are on Facebook. Please PM me with your Facebook name and I'll friend request you. Thanks!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2012

Hi all,
    Am in my 2nd week of working 8 AM to 8 PM plus driving....not exactly a good idea as I recover from rads and heart testing.
    It's that time of year when I dream of traveling anywhere....have tons of free miles, too.
    One thing I did was I have planned a trip for next summer - my one year cancerversary....hope I am still disease free.
    Tomorrow starts my 6 month follow ups....will see a new MO and next week see old MO, and rads RO.  I do not know what to expect, but as usual, I will bring a ton of quesitons.
    Have a good night!
    Joan

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

Just checking in to say hi!  I tried doing a yoga video...I lasted ten minutes.  :)  I'm so out of shape!  Then I got an icky stomach virus.  Ha!  I'll try again later in the week.

Germ free hugs all around!

Steph 

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Steph.....sorry you are sick..or were.  Stomach viruses are so nasty.  Feel better soon.

I am frustrated because I am on total light duty due to my back.  My PCP pulled me from PT so I can get the LE under control.  Still waiting for that too.  I hate light duty, but still walk my dogs daily.

Joan you are a brave and strong woman to keep up with your schedule.  I hope there will be a vacation in your future soon.  When you pack, remember to leave BC home!  :)

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

More problems! Whoever said cancer is the gift that keeps on giving is so right. Since Friday my radiated breast has had sharp burning pains and leakage. My doctor now thinks I may have an infection. She said 2 options. One is to just take them out and have put back in about 3 weeks later. The other option is to check into the hospital for 3 days and get iv antibiotics. She said there was a 50% chance that the infection would get cleared up. I am going for a second opinion tomorrow, but I will need to do something quick, because the pain is getting worse.

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

I forgot to mention that you have a fantastic time on your vacation Pat. I also want to say that I hope you feel better soon, Steph.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2012

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about your possible infection, and having to make that choice about how to cure it. You've done so well healing with all your other surgeries. Good luck, and get well soon.

I had a strange pain attack today....I'm 3 months out of radiation and while I've had those stabbing breast pains, you know, those "nerve endings healing" ones, none have anywhere near compared to the one today. Unusually they last a bit, then go away. Might come back later that day or so, but generally just make themselves known then leave. Not this one today. Geesh....this went straight from my nipple thru to my ribs and just wouldn't quit. The intense pain lasted about 15 minutes until heat and Tylenol started to kick in. Then the blasted thing decided to do it again this afternoon. Man....I sure wish this one had awakened like all the other ones! It's still a bit tender. Recovery's fun, isn't it?