Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited January 2012

Hi Truebff, You made me chuckle. You are so right. Instead of drugs I have been drinking a lot of chardonnay.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2012

Kate thinking about you and hoping things let up soon in the pain department.  They say laughter is a good pain reliever, so maybe watch some funny movies.  It is worth a try.

Janis, sorry to hear about your llama.  I think those names are just adorable and her picture showed what a dear soul she is.  Even if she is gone, she lives on in your heart.  What a face!

truebff, I would be interested in knowing what you have decided to do with your Chinese doctor.  Glad your husband is supportive.

I have been off the radar for a few days.  I have had the first cold since radiation.  I have been carefully taking my vitamins, resting and staying positive.  Every night for a week, I have been awakened by at least one coughing spasm.  I thought I was healing fast, and didn't feel really ill.  However starting yesterday, I have been having muscular pain between two ribs on my radiated side.  I feel a muscle that is swollen and fluid filled there.  I am sure it is because of the rads!  I have been afraid to get a cold, but there is just no way to avoid it.  I am hoping to treat this at home with ibuprofen and ice.  Even the simple things are not so simple these days, are they?  We always have to worry about LE, or pneumonitis, and those are the least of our worries. 

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012

Kate, so sorry you are having a rough time with your recovery.  Hope the next ten days speed by.

Janis, I'm so sorry that you lost a friend in your pet llama.  I have two poodles that are like my babies.  I know how our animals can become like part of the family.  We feel the loss of them keenly.  I'm glad that she went quickly and didn't suffer. What a precious girl she looked to be.   I hope you are able to get some relief from your pain too.  Goodness, you have had a time of it lately!

truebff, good luck with your new treatment schedule.  I am interested in hearing about it too.  I'm taking femara and committed to taking it, but I am always interested in natural treatments that can support my immune system and make me healthier.

MostlySew, so glad you got a good report!  Hope you've celebrated!

GigiL, so sorry you have got a cold.  It is going around everywhere here, too.  I hope you are able to overcome the soreness from the cough too.  I know rads makes us more susceptible to complications.  

I'm seven weeks out from my hysterectomy and oophorectomy.  I'm also taking the femara.  I don't have ANY estrogen left, I don't think.  I have hot flashes and am increasingly achy.  I hope that all levels out. My first mammogram is in about three weeks.  I'm getting more and more nervous about it.  I didn't think I would be.  But considering all this started with a lump and a mammogram, going for another one isn't high on my list of things I'll cheerfully skip in to do...:)

Hope everyone has a great week!

Best,

Steph 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2012

Gigil,

Eeek.....I'm so sorry you've caught a cold. That is a nightmare. Be sure to keep a close watch on this rib business and let us know how you're doing......gentle hugs.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2012

Hi Steph,

I don't blame you at all about being nervous about the upcoming mammo! The Dr gently suggested one to me the other day, and then decided he'd go ahead and let me wait the full 6 months after rads before getting it (probably because I didn't jump up and down and holler.....YES, I'd Love to have a mammo..LoL ). I expect your symptoms of hot flashes etc will level out over time. Its amazing the things our bodies can get used to. As one who had 10 years of hot flashes ( more like dripping wet flashes) I can relate to those all right! I'm glad you're progressing along after the hyst/ooph and are getting back your strength.

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you Gigil, I am sorry that you have a cold, and I hope it goes away soon.Thank you Stephn, and I am sorry about your discomfort.

• gigil
    edited January 2012

Hi stephN, good to hear you are doing well.  I hope the SE's with the Femara level off.  Isn't it enough to have the uterus and ovaries removed?  I didn't realize one would have to take an AI on top of that, as well.  Thanks Sew for the gentle hugs.  They always help.  Here's hoping for a good week for all of us.  We deserve it!!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2012

GiGiL, I hope your cold will go away soon.  Those coughing spasms can be very painful.  Sending gentle hugs to you.

stephN, I had my first post BC mammogram about three weeks ago.  It was all right.  Squeezing the left (cancer) breast was a bit more uncomfortable than squeezing the right breast, but it was not painful.  Good luck for good results. 

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2012
    I need my life and treatment to work for me and have long studied my options, grateful that I have them, and hopeful that more will come too. I have chosen Chinese medicine as a way, after my radiation, to handle my extra estrogen and a grateful attitude and desire to keep up a pretty good- but NOT PERFECT- and resonable lifestyle, aided with reasonable exercise and diet. AND definitely less stress (I had a big load of it for 10 years and I believe it got to me).

Chinese medicine will beef my immune system back up after radiation and illness and help transfer any extra wrong estrogens into better pathways. (without the whole systemic SEs of AIs)

So I have chosen, based on my diagnosis so far, the removal of the tumor, the good margins, the no nodes, the radiation in case any cells were left, and now to be the healthiest, happiest person I can be, beefed up by Chinese meds and helped to keep any pesky rogue estrogens out of trouble making places before they can bother me again, and a more focused stress-reliefed life.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2012

I have been off the radar myself as I was sick all weekend.  Actually since Thursday night.  Vomiting and diarrhea and terrible exhaustion.  I am a poor sleeper under the best of circumstances, and yesterday i remember almost nothing as I slept all day.  Hubby did bring me canned chicken noodle soup and crackers.  I hate being sick and hope this is gone for good!

Gigil...Sorry your are sick too.  It seems like these virsues take forever to recover from.  I hope you are much healthier today!

Steph, Sew, Gigil, Irw 333.......thanks for the sweet comments about Miss Dolly.  I am sure I am forgetting everyone so thank all of you who understood how her loss hurt so much. 

Kate, I hope your pain decreases very soon and you will start feeling good again!  I know this phase so soon after surgery is miserable.  Feel better quickly!!!

Huga, hugs, and more (germ free of course) hugs to all of you!

• truebff
    edited January 2012

hope you feel better soon janis!!!

• stephN
    edited January 2012

Oh Janis, as if everything else wasn't enough!  Hope you are feeling better soon!

I don't mean to complain, just report in.  ;o)  GigiL, my oncologist knew I was having the surgery and wanted me to start the AI immediately.  She said it was important and  I'm willing.  At this point, it's not interfering severely with my quality of life.  Hopefully, with a change in my diet and adding some supplements and exercise, I can keep it that way.

Elizabeth, thanks for the encouragement!  I like the people at the clinic where I go, so I don't think it will be traumatic.  It's just the leading up to it...

Big hugs, gals.  Hang in there!

Steph 

• gigil
    edited January 2012

truebff, I have been taking a similar route with the practice of qigong and using Turmeric.  I do believe weight loss, exericse and keeping inflammation down is the most logical way to keep the body and the immune system working at peak capacity.  I also take vitamin D, omega 3's, vitamin B and C.  Mushrooms offer a lot of immune support too.

janis, hope your stomach and intestinal flu are over.  There is nothing better than chicken soup when you go through that.  Ginger is very good too.  I keep crystallized ginger in the house all of the time.

I am feeling much better today, thanks for caring everyone.  I went to a movie with my husband today and cooked him a birthday dinner.  It has been a good day.

Kate, hope you are better today. 

• katehudson25
    edited January 2012

Thank you Gigil and Janis.I still have pain, burning, and itchiness iin my radiated breast. I also still have leakage. I am going to my mediacal oncologist tomorrow, and also to my surgeon, so hopefully I can get some answers. Janis I hope you feel better soon. 

• truebff
    edited January 2012

GigiL, could you please PM me about your choices. I'd love to chat on it. Information is golden.

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Kate,

I am praying this will remedey for you very soon. Much love.

• fhar451
    fhar451 Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2012

JUST VENTING!!!    RO's office called yesterday to schedule 3 month followup which I was hoping they had forgotten about. I was looking thru my planner that they gave me to keep up with all my appointments. There was a comment in there about how I will be seeing doctors for the rest of my life. I DON'T WANT TO SEE DOCTORS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I want my life back before breast cancer.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Today is my first cancerversary.  I received the BC diagnosis one year ago today. What a year it has been. I just wanted to thank everyone here for making this year much better than it would otherwise have  been.

• stephN
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth!  Happy Cancerversary!  You made it!  I hope you treat yourself very nicely today.  You deserve it.  :)

Kate, hope you are able to get some answers and help from the doc today. 

Since we're talking about recovery here, rads and treatment in general, does anyone want to share what supplements and/or exercise routine you are doing?  I've been doing a lot of research into what are the best ones to help support my immune system and also prevent recurrence.  Wondering what the rest of you have found that might be different than what I've come up with! 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth, may you look forward to a lovely year ahead!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2012

Elizabeth........wow.  I am so happy you are here with us.  Always.

Steph...I am so frustrated with everything going on with me.  I was walking daily, which brought about the back pain.  It got bad.....so, off to the MRI and the news of the herniated disc.  Large herniation.  So off to PT for that, but discover I cannot tolerate the massage therapy because the pain from my breast is too much for me to lie on my stomach.  Back to my RO's nurse....diagnosis cellulitis, fail.  Ten days of antibiotics render no better breast, but a nice yeast infection.  Then the news from both my BS and RO that I have LE in my breast/chest.  Back to my PCP who tells me due to the LE diagnosis, no more PT and No strenuous anything, including walking!  Need to leave the disc alone for awhile.  Then RO decides I have some sort of fibrosis so have to postpone LE therapy until I take this new course of meds (Trental and Vitamin E) to increase blood flow to breast to reduce pain and swelling.

So after two nights straight of insomina with worry about other things too.......I am not having a great day today.  Wish I could be more helpful...I just feel so frustrated!

I cannot believe all that poured out from a simple question.  Oh Steph..........sorry for hijacking your question.  I know the others here will be of great help!

Thanks for letting me rant ladies.  You are the best. 

Love and hugs to all!!!!

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

Thank you for the kind words, stephN, SAB, and Janis.  Janis, what a nightmare.  My thoughts and prayers are with you always.

stephN, The only supplements I take are multivitamins and calcium.  I try to find pills that do not contain soy since I am ER+, but that is not easy.  I do not have a special diet, but I try to choose healthy foods and curb my sweet tooth.  For exercise, I try to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes each day.  

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2012

OK, it is time to laugh.  I had a dentist appointment today and this morning I was trying to decidewhat to wear.  Since I see so many doctors, I was thinking I should wear something easy to take on and off.  Then, I realized that I was supposed to keep my clothes on during a dental visit.

• truebff
    edited January 2012

Hahahah Elizabeth!!!   I had a dentist appt. yesterday and decided to wear heavy warm pretty skirt. Never seems a point at drs as you just end up in that elephant-sized bright aqua gown. It's fun to not have to get undressed or touched with (ug and now I always request handwash over this) hand-sanitizer hands. It's fun to have a great appointment. And, hey, I used to think going to the dentist was really icky. You can see how far I've come (hahahhaah!) when it is a fun event! Sealed

• truebff
    edited January 2012

fhar451,

Hang on. This is a very good vent to have. It's one of the ways, our emotions guide us so that WE are taking charge of our own choices in treatment. Viva la independent, informed choice!

• truebff
    edited January 2012

StephN, I am doing the same thing. I wish I had a place to lead and support other women recovering from cancer in exercise support group for free. I think much of what's out there in exercise expects too much or is not designed for the woman recovering from surgery, pain, exhaustion. We need to deeply respect our levels and go gently and deeply caringly into that better lifestyle.

I have a sharing blog about healthy lifestyle, food, diet, exercise, spirit, etc. -share recipes, etc.     If you want, I'll send you a link. I'd also love to hear what you are doing.

I have a deeply-important body check-in with myself day-to-day and week-to-week and adjust my practice. It includes days off to heal and strengthen when needed and not with guilt, so the body gets strong naturally and is your partner and guide.

I also believe eating healthy should be DELICIOUS!!!! And that a few, happily placed indulgences make for a happier campeer on the nutrition path.

As for supplements, I have just started working with a Chinese DR. More info to come on that, but so far, feel very happy to be building up my strength and immune system after all that rads do especially.

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Truebff, and Stephn thank you so much.Elizabeth, happy caniversary, and I wish you a much better year ahead. Also so funny about what to wear to your dentist. I went to see my surgeon today, and she gave me more stitches.She is hoping that will stop the leakage. She said my pain could continue for a month. My pain comes and goes, so that is better than having pain 24/7.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2012

Steph,

Good question about how to recover from all this! I've been adding more fresh fruit into my diet (they used to be a no no due to the sugar, but now are a good thing) and attempting to limit the flower type things ( breads etc). I've been vegetarian for years, but bread is my downfall. I've also been attempting to increase my activity level back to the BC level, but that's been tough. I get fatigued much more quickly which is depressing, but I remind myself that it's only been just shy of 3 months since I finished rads. I'm definitely stronger, but if I over do it, I end up with many more of those sharp nerve pains in the breast. I've also added some minor, for now, resistance work (with those rubber band type things) for my upper arms which are like jelly! So.....summary.....I'd love to hear other ideas, and slow and simple works for me.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2012

Elizabeth.....wooohoooo....good on you. A real milestone one that surely deserves celebrating...

Janice, I'm so sorry to hear this latest med isn't working for you. And I'd so hoped it was. You are Such a trouper girl....you hang in there. This will get better, I just know it will

Fhar, venting is good for the soul, and we've all done it. It is tough to face all these follow up appts, but I look at it as though they're worrying about my recovery so I don't have to. Helps me cope with all this. Course most of the time they cause needless worry, which is a real bummer!

Merilee.....how are you doing? I know you were going thru some scary times, and I hope that's all resolved for you now.

Kate......so having gone thru this surgery, do you at least like these breasts this time? Or are they too swollen to tell. I sure hope they're just perfect. And you might have to break down and at least take ibuprofen or something this time to get you thru...

• gigil
    edited February 2012

Elizabeth, congratulations on getting through probably one of the toughest years of your life.  And here you are,  stronger somehow, and on the other side of it.  Enjoy that.

Janis, hang in there girl.  I am having some of the same - not sure if it is truncal LE or what in my case, but not real comfortable.  I am drinking Turmeric tea and it is helping with the pain.  It is a strong anti-inflammatory.  Here's hoping you get this under control soon.  I was reading a lot of this swelling and LE stuff can correct within 18 months to 2 years.  It is something to hope for.  In my case it isn't hugely noticeable to someone looking for it, but it is there, and it hurts

Truebff PM coming.

Don't you think after all we've all been through we are just sick and tired of it all and just want to put it behind us?  Now to make our bodies cooperate.  That is the next task!Wink