Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2012

Oh as far as exercise, I do qigong.  Sometimes I do a full routine and in between I do the stress reduction routine.  It is gentle and meditative, but effective and I believe I can do it the rest of my life.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2012
    Elizabeth, so glad you have put this first year behind you.  I wish you a beautiful healthy year ahead.
    Kate, it is difficult to believe that you are still enduring continuous days of pain.  We are with you for your complete recovery.
    Janis, so sorry to hear you were sick.  It is like getting kicked when you are down....but you are back up again, with a lot on your plate.  I have said it before -- this is supposed to be "recovery" but it is actually "reality" - BC can be merciless. 
    Here's hoping that these tough times will soon be a fading memory.
    Best thoughts, hugs and prayers for those who are still hurting.
    Joan
  • Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2012

All of you...Thank you, thank you, thank you for the well wishes on my cancerversary.  You made my day so joyful. I read a saying recently that went "A single snowflake is one of the most fragile things on earth, but think of what they can do when they all get together."  That is us--together, we are strong.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2012

Thank you Mostly sew and 811. Mostlysew I like the size of my breasts this time, with smaller implants, but there still is a symmetry problem. My surgeon said it will take a couple of months to know for sure, because my breasts are still swollen. If things don't look right in a couple of months I may opt for another surgery. If the pain from this surgery goes on too long I may say the heck with it and live with one breast a tiny bit smaller and higher. It is not a signifigant amount, but I would like everything to be even. I am single, and would still like to find Mr right, and that is why this might be more important to me then if I was still married.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited February 2012

katehudson, I hope you will feel better soon.  Also, when the swelling goes down, I hope your breasts will look fine.  The symmetry issue is probably more noticeable to you and your doctor than it is to anyone else.  You have so much to offer Mr. Right besides perfect breasts.  I think anyone who knows you would agree.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited February 2012

steph- There is a program called Turning point that is sponsored by Komen. Check with your local YMCA. I have attended excises class and yoga class for free under this program. Also a good quality multi vitamin is a good start. Center for Optimal wellness has a good one and they will send it to you. It is about $30 a month. In addition I take Q-10, fish oil, Coriolis mushroom, glucosamine, b12 drops, D3 drops, glutathione, and Reacta-C which contains indole-3.

www.cfohealth.com or 517-324-9400

They have several suppliments, if  you tell them you want the one that Merilee Dodson is on they will know which one to pull for you. The staff is very sweet and supportive.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2012

Elizabeth...I LOVE the snowflake quote, how perfect!  I am so glad having friends here helped your day yesterday.  I am sorry if my post sounded whiny.  It was your day to shine and I am so blessed to be your friend.  Of course we will always be here and get through the next year together!

GiGiL....thanks so much for being so sweet and supportive!  I was having such a bad day yesterday and am so glad everyone here understands.

Joan.....same to you, thanks for the encouragement.  It always means so much to be when I know you are there and understand.  Whew!

Mostly Sew.....Same to you.  You are right, I am a trooper and am doing much better already.  You are always womnderful and supportive of the group here.  I sure appreciate you.

Kate....I hope your pain gets better and you can be happy with the results.  I agree with Elizabeth.  Mr. Right should not expect perfection in your breasts.  It is the heart and soul and spirit that matters.  Physical beauty may attract someone, but you want someone who will love you for all the above reasons.  That is Mr. Right!  :)

Love you ladies and everyone have a great day!!!!

• GabbyCal
    GabbyCal Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2012

Hello fellow post-radiation friends! I read regularly, but only post from time to time. I've got a question for the group - can anyone she some light on the healing process that goes on inside our breasts following radiation?

I finished mid-June 2011. The inside of the radiated breast is still tender. I saw my RO 4 months after completion and he indicated I'm healing well, but still healing. Recommended not lifting more than 5 lbs on that side "for a while".

I feel like I should start doing some lifting exercises or exercise classes but every time I try I must admit I get very sore. I did some lifting a couple days ago and noticed a black-and-blue area appeared.

Any advice you have will be much appreciated. 

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Gabby I just sent you a long reply and while editing it went to cyberspace!  Will try this again.  I am not the best typist and always try to edit.  Think I'll just post it and not edit...so ignore typos!  :)

My best advice is to call either your RO or MO and talk to them.  I would probably ask to be seen.  I developed lymphedema after the initial pain and tenderness started to subside.  It can occur at an any time after treatment.  You are far anough out you should not see more tenderness.  Do you have any swelling in your hand or fingers in the radiated side?  How about in the breast, underarm, or chest wall?  These can all be signs of LE.  Of course you could have a number of things as a minor infection or a seroma.  I think it is best to let a doctor determine if there is anything unusual going on. 

That is my best advice and I wish you well.  Breast cancer keeps on giving sometimes.  Often the side effects down the road are minor, but still need some sort of treatment.

I hope you get it checked and please keep us posted!

Gentle hugs to you!

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Elizabeth that was such a nice post. You are so sweet and I thank you. Thank you janis. I realize that someone won't love me, because of breast perfection. I just prefer to look good for Mr. Right.

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012
    You will look great Kate.  Shine from within!   Laughing
  • lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2012

Elizabeth  I hope you have many healthy years... Congratulation!!!

Kate I hope everything goes well for you and you don't need another surgery. You want a man who can accept and love you for who you are. 

Janis hang in there. Surely they will tell you something soon. So you can start healing again. Hoping everyone is doing better today. Hugs, lisa

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Hi Janis, Yes of course shine from within, but it doesn't hurt to shine on the outside too.

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Thank you irw, I hope you are feeling well.

• GabbyCal
    GabbyCal Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2012

Janis - Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I see my MO in a couple weeks so will add this to my "list". 

Arm and hands feel OK, the tenderness is in the pectorials. The new bruise is on the breast, near the excision cavity, which is still red from the radiation boosts. Doesn't appear to me to be normal post-exercise muscle soreness.

Many many thanks. 

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Gabby....you are most welcome.  I am very happy to hear you are going to see your MO soon.  I am not a doctor and of course am always reluctant to give too much advice.  It just feels to me like you are far enough out of rads this should not be happening.  There are many easily treatable things it can be.  Just another gift from BC that will keep giving for awhile!  So many of us have nerve damage or LE or a multitude of other problems.  Usually minor, so try not to worry!

Keep us posted okay?  We love to hear updates and cheer you along!

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

Thanks for sharing all your routines, gals.  I like hearing how everyone is doing.  I love the snowflake analogy!  I also really related to Joan's saying that we're supposed to be in recovery, but this is actually reality.  I think you are right.  

truebff, I would love to go to your blog and read more!

Merilee, thanks for sharing your info.  Right now I'm taking green tea extract, coQ10, krill oil, curcumin and melatonin.  I'm stopping everything for a time though because my joint pain has gotten really bad and I don't know if it's the letrozole kicking in or if it's a reaction to something I'm taking.  I have had reactions to fillers in vitamins before, so I really hope it's not that.  I feel like the supplements are going to be the only way I'll survive this (not to sound dramatic) so I hope I can figure it out.

As far as exercise goes, I'm finally healed up enough from the hysterectomy so that I can start exercising.  I like qigong, but I want to find a class.  There is a tai chi center here so I'm going to check it out. Unfortunately, the Y here doesn't have the breast cancer recovery classes.

Kate, I had a lumpectomy and one of my breasts is smaller and the nipple is about an inch higher than the other.  I could probably get fitted for a prosthesis or have surgery to correct it, but I think that breast is just quirky like me.  ;o)  The desire to look beautiful is real but you are beautiful, perfect breasts or not.

I'm making other healthy lifestyle changes too, but the sugar!  Oh, sugar, my enemy.  I ate healthy all day yesterday and was in such a horrible mood last night, some kind of menopausal mania. So what do I do?   I make buttercream icing at 10pm.  (My daughter who had three tests today was thrilled.)  Icing is like magic for me...no more bad mood.  But I feel so guilty.  Sugar AND butter.    

Ah well.  Every day is a new beginning.

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Steph I love the icing story!  I have terrible problems with sweets despite loving so many healthy foods.  Today I made homemade cinnamon rolls and of course icing...cream cheese.  Lots of nice thick cream cheese icing on those rolls.  I had one while it was warm and sure was delicious.  My hubby ate two!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2012

You guys are totally making me hungry. I was so good today I got thru a trip to the store without buying chocolate covered anything! And no fresh out of the oven French bread either! I did buy almonds to munch and felt quite righteous.

As far as supplements I eat flax seed (omega 3's),multi vitamin, 2000 IU vit. B complex, also 1000 to 1200 calcium with 500 to 1000 vit D in a viactive chew.

My actual exercise of choice is walking, which I do generally 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes (now that I have more energy back) and one day walking hills with a friend for an hour, and dance for 30 minutes 1 day a week with weights (not heavy ones). Whew.....I should have gotten that bread at the store as a treat!

New subject.....anyone taking Prolia for osteoporosis? Dr wants me to start......hmmmmmm

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

Mostly Sew, My Doctor also wants me start Prolia. Take my first shot on Friday. Will let you know how it goes.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2012

Oh great, Ptdreamers, thanks. I got as far as checking with my dentist today to make sure that my periodontal disease (pockets, have had for years and they're stable) wouldn't pose a problem nor the bit of TMJ I've got. She said no problem just make sure any procedures having to do with the jaw bone like pulling teeth or something was done at the midway point between the Prolia shots. I still need to check about my high cholesterol and potential thyroid issues. Ain't this fun?

Will you have a shot every 6 months?

• Elizabeth1889
    edited February 2012

Hi everyone, I saw my BS today for my annual follow up with him.  He is the nicest doctor I have ever met--definitely my favorite of all the cancer doctors.  He assured my that my mammogram was absolutely fine, but he wants me on a six month mammography schedule until the surgical changes slow down.  I decided to schedule my port removal with him next month now that I know the mammogram is clear.  It is time to move on.

It was strange, but I felt very nervous being back in his office.  My BC journey began there almost exactly one year ago.  Also, it was no one's fault, but they have a TV in their waiting room and the local station happened to be covering the funeral of a former mayor.  There is something weird about watching a funeral in a surgeon's office. 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

Mostly Sew, I have high cholesterol but prior to now my HDL has always been great  so no need for any meds. We will have to see how that goes with the estogen being zapped. I also have hypothyroidism and have been on meds for the last fifteen years. I am hoping that the prolia works and that everything settles down without more meds being needed. Good luck.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2012

I agree Ptdreamers.....here's to no more additional meds! I also don't take anything for cholesterol and have been on thyroid meds for years like you. Let's hope this just works.

Hi Elizabeth. Aren't great doctors just wonderful? I also like my whole team which takes lots of the fear out of visiting them. I think most of us, if not all, end up on 6 month mammo schedules, at least for the first 1 or two years. I haven't been back to my surgeons office yet, but I do expect it will feel strange. I sure understand how you felt.

Let the healing continue for all of us.......

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2012
    Has anyone here split her team among different medical centers?  I am totally disappointed in my MO although I have an appointment with her soon.  I want to switch to another MO who I saw for 2nd opinion....he was soooo normal and nice and decisive.  I just feel uncomfortable because I want to stay with my BS and my RO indefinitely.  But the MO should be managing my AI meds and I get nothing from my current dr.  She never speaks to me.
    Just wondering how it would be if I scrambled the team....although I have never once ever felt like there was a team taking an interest in me. 
    About healing after rads - I've been done about 3 weeks and I have definitely lost mass and tone in the irradiated side.  I gained a few pounds in rads, so am a little worried when I get back to my lower weight how much more I'll lose on one side.  Strange and unexpected for me.
    J
  • justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Elizabeth......congratulations on all good news from your BS!  I know how happy you must be to be getting your port out next month.  Awesome news!

Joan.....my BS and my oncologists aren't connected.  My BS is in Boise, about 25 miles from here.  He was recommended by my PCP and he is very good and has a wonderful reputation.  I would have loved to go with a team he recommended, but could not make that drive to Boise daily.  I had to get a local oncology team in my area for financial reasons.  Gas!  The team thing is weird.  My RO is not at all helpful, my MO somewhat better.  The Nurse Practicioner's are the BEST though.  I wish I had some advice as I have not been real happy with some treatments and judgements by my RO.  Still I trust Esther, the NP.......I hope you can make a decision you are comfortable with.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2012

Joan, my team is split, too, for the same reasons as Janis.  My surgeon and MO are about an hour and a half away.  I had radiation here in my hometown (ended up really liking my RO though I wasn't sure at first).  He (the RO) is still following my care.  Last time I saw him, he just reminded me to ask that anything that happens when I'm at the other center, test results or anything, that he gets copied on it for his file.  Anything I get copies of, I take along with me, but I don't get copies of everything.  My MO is good about that, my BS not so good.  That's probably more than you wanted to know!

My inlaws are coming to town tonight.  I need to change sheets and clean house.  Just not really up to it.  Or maybe I just really don't want to.  ;o)  I'm sitting by the fire with a cup of coffee.  It's much nicer than cleaning house.

Hope y'all have a great day! 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited February 2012

Hi all,

Every weekday morning I do Classical Stretch on TV - it is a great routine for getting the kinks out before work, and I've done it for several years.  This week, it was canceled!  So bummed.  But it lead me to the classical stretch website, where I learned that the woman from the show, Miranda, is a breast cancer survivor, and she also has a video posted on her website about exercises to do after BC.  I thought I would share her video for those that might be interested

http://breastcancerrehabilitation.com/

I'm having the same tightness she talks about in her video, so I hope to start doing some of these exercises.  And now I need to find another good stretching and strengthing show on tv to replace Classical Stretch - any suggestions?

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Steph.....sitting by the fire drinking coffee sounds good to me!  Hopefully you will get enough caffeine in to help motivate you to do the cleaning.  If I was closer I would sure come help you!  I am stripping my bed today.  It is sunny here and I am going to hang the sheets out.  I love that fresh smell. 

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012

Steph, no fire, but nice mug of fresh hot coffee too. Warms me more thinking -across time and country- we are having that cup together!