Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2015

(((Josie))) I hope we cleaned up all the crumbs....thinking of you.

I also was thinking of Gigil just this morning. And you are right, charger hasn't been here in awhile. But summer is busy.

After a nice outing yesterday, I had such bad congestion I did not sleep. I got to sleep about 5 Am.
    DH found kitty sleeping on the bed with me (a first). They never woke me. I slept until noon and now the day is passing....I am going to go out maybe to the beach for a walk. We'll see how far I get.

April, it just makes no sense that you do not get that job. But, when we see the writing on the wall, we just have to make our space work for us. You should get a bump up in pay when you have to be supervisor.
    How is DH doing? I hope he is holding his own and continuing to improve.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2015

Thanks April and Joan.

Well the thoughts and prayers worked. Happy to report clean mammogram and Ultrasound. I am so happy it's all over. Great pocket party everyone. My DH didn't quite get it last night when I told him Janis was making cakeballs for the occasion. He looked too confused until I explained not real cakeballs. Virtual cakeballs. LOL

Janis, How neat you make your own cat furniture. I would love to learn how to make one with carpet. My cats would love it.

April, that's pretty rotten they only promote you temporarily until someone is hired.

Joan that's sweet you and kitty got to sleep in.

Busy weekend so may not be on till Sunday. Maybe I'll pop in soon. Just have 2 wedding shorts to go to tommorow and still haven't gotten them gifts yet .DH promised we would get them early tommorow morning. Traffic was too bad and I'm just too tired to go out tonight.Tax free weekend so stores will be packed but I know both brides are registered at Target.Smile

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2015

Josie - Yippee! So happy...now more cakeballs.... Sweet dreams tonight 🎂

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2015

Hey guiys, It's County Fair time and I have been busy since Tuesday. I am a Master Gardener wit the U of I extension, so I was in the booth for 3 hours today, and visiting the projects and watching the livestock judging, plus stuffing my face with fair goodies and being grateful that I grew up before the carnival rides got so terribly scary.....Now the carnies---they are even worse than when I was a kid too.....

• joan811
    edited August 2015

Josie, that is GREAT news. I am happy to hear that things are normal.
    So funny that you told DH we were having cake balls in your pocket!
    Enjoy your busy week end.

Red, that sounds like a really fun time at the fair. What was your favorite fair food? And what was the best exhibit, animal or plant produce that you saw?

I made it to the beach and took a walk....then back home for DH to suggest we go into town to see if we can find a place to eat. We went to Margarita Grille and got the last table outside. I almost feel normal again!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2015

Great news, Josie! Here's to oodles of squeaky clean mammos for all of us!

April, of course you should apply! Gotta be in it to win it and all.

• josie123
    edited August 2015

Redheaded, nice to hear from you and I love carnivals but not like when I was a kid. Now I don't usually ride the rides. Our church carnival was the last one we went to.It's in September. I plan on maybe volunteering for a shift somewhere in it.

Thanks Joan and Brookside.

Well made it to Target and got my car inspected before having to got to the showers. One was at noon and that was my family(my nephew fiance) The other was about 20 min away from that one and it was at 2 pm. My co worker. She is my fellow Medical Assistant. She told me the other day that she appreciated my work ethics a that it has really made this transition so much easier(the MA quitting and leaving us short).

Now to relax and enjoy the rest of my weekend. My kids start school on Aug17.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2015

It is hard to pick a favorite fair food. I of course try to be more aware of what I put in my body since the Big C, however, Our beef producers do rib eye sandwiches every other day and the pork producers do porkchops on the opposite days, so I had 2 ribeyes and one porkchop and the steaks were the best. They are thin cut and smothered in B-B-Cue sauce (that's what I put on mine, anyway). The 4H Alumni sell ice cream sundaes and they were really good too. Ice cream is homemade... It is the first year I didn't get a funnel cake. that's one of my big favorites. We played a game in our booth with spin the wheel and the kids landed on either Soil, Fruit, Veggie, Flower, Insect or Tree. They then were given a question to anwer in th eir category and the prize was a little baggie with a veggie seed packet, a flower seed packet, some stickers, etc. It was designed to be teachable moments and everyone got a prize whether they were right or not. One of the questions was what is study of insects called, an the little boy told me INSECTOLOGY......

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2015

Awesome Josie! So relieved and happy you got the all clear. Now you can enjoy the showers.

Redhead - I love the Memphis Mid-South Fair here and the Fair on the Square in Collierville. Gotta have a funnel cake. It was my Mom's fav. One of these days I want DH and I to go to the Texas State Fair. We are both from Texas but have never been. It's usually during the weekend of the Texas-Oklahoma football game. My mom was born in Texas - Dad Oklahoma so they always argued about who would win!

Update on my son's babies - GFF will have a C section NLT September 3. We were scheduled to be out of town that weekend but of course we will cancel our trip. It was our annual trip to Notre Dame for a football game. Already paid but sure I can get a refund. Obviously the births of these babies takes precedence over everything. She might go early but can't take a chance. Someone else will def want our tickets. They barely weigh 2 lbs now so they will def b in the hospital for awhile.

Joan - Margarita Grille - yum!

April - doesn't seem fair you are qualified to fill in but not to actually get the job. Same thing going on everywhere it seems - hiring younger people. Happened time after time when I worked at FedEx.

Diane

• joan811
    edited August 2015

Red, I can smell the steaks and chops cooking now! My favorite would definitely be funnel cakes. I cannot resist. It sounds like a lot of fun. Cute answer...and probably acceptable in some dictionaries.

Josie, it's amazing that you made it to both and got the car done too.
    I am glad you got a positive compliment from your coworker. It's about time.

I go back to work on 8/17 but our classes do not start until 8/27. What grades are your kids in now?

• josie123
    edited August 2015

Joan, my son is 17 and will be a senior this year. We are so proud. It's hard enough to get through HS these days without the additional challenge of being high functioning Autistic.And my youngest is 12 and is going to be in 7th grade.Hard age but we will get through it.

Redheaded, your making me hungry. I can almost taste the food. Especially the funnel cakes.

Diane thanks I am so relieved. At least you know when to expect the babies. And Like you said. Someone will be willing to buy tickets if you can't get a refund.I will pray all goes well.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2015

I wrote a nice long chatty post and lost it! Grrrrrrr.............

Short version: Josie, I am absolutely thrilled with your news. I hope you felt calmer knowing you had such a large group of cheerleaders in your pocket. Now you can put this scare behind you, such a great feeling.

Joan, I am sorry you have been sick. The sinus issues are miserable. Sounds like kitty is working on forgiving you.

Redheaded the fair sounds so fun and the food amazing. I have not been to a fair or carnival in decades. Last time I went the main foods were corn dogs and cotton candy.

Diane I am glad that you have a date at least. I am sure those tickets will be very easy to sell.

Have to take the boyz for their walk so out of time. Love and healing hugs to all.

• josie123
    edited August 2015

Thanks Janis, yes it's wonderful news. Enjoy your walk!!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2015

Hello ladies!

Sew, my school never actually did duck and cover! I'm glad to say that the training was a little more proactive, and even if it was scary at least we did get to "take down" our director, who was a very good sport about it. We also had to operate fire extinguishers, and I'm embarrassed to tell you that I soaked my feet. Otherwise, it was a very calm and productive week of training, with lots of excellent information.

Joan, I hope by the time I am writing this you are feeling better and you'll be in full good health for the start of school. I hope you find a way to take the very best of the job and enjoy it, and minimize the rest. It's funny but I have an interview for a good job this week and even though my current job is so busy and tough I am already thinking about what I would miss. There's always something good in every job!

Red, the fair sounds fun! As a brown thumb I take my gardener's hat off to you.

Josie, I was so happy to hear about your good results.

queenmomcat, good luck with the new thread and with rads. I'm sure the support will be welcomed by those who are sharing the experience.

My interview will either be on the 13th or 17th (waiting to hear back) so plenty of time to work up my nerves :0

Hope you all had great weekends...waiting for dd the elder right now to go car shopping for her. yuck.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2015

Sab,

I knew you were a young one, LOL. However, your drill sounds so much more productive than the ones we did in grammar school (truly duck and cover) and the ones in the 70s at work which were earthquake drills...more duck and cover. What a sad commentary on today that now we have to practice handling crazed people with guns! But it probably supplied your only opportunity to take the director down, in case you ever wanted to. A job interview, huh? I know you like your current job, so this one must be wonderful to tear you away. Although I always found that working on different projects and in different departments was always fun. So..go for it girl...we'll be routing for you.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm almost down to the prednisone level I was taking before my little relapse. Let's hope the cure holds this time. I don't have a "moon face" yet, but this drug makes me really really hungry, and also gives me hot flashes that are intense. I can't wait to get this dose reduced... It will probably be at least another 3 or 4 months before I can get off it entirely. I'd do have another ct scan in 2 weeks and while they have high doses of radiation, it is necessary at this point to check on the healing of my lungs. I'll just keep marching along in the meanwhile..

• SAB
    edited August 2015

Sew I have fingers and toes crossed for your health and success getting off that nasty drug.

FYI we still do those duck and cover earthquake drills.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2015

Josie - just read about the repeated violence in Ferguson. When will this ever end? Stay safe.

Diane

• joan811
    edited August 2015

Diane, I know how much you love your annual trip. But these babies and your son need your support. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for all the families.

Janis, I just hate when that happens...losing a post. Lately, when my page disappears, I've been able to get it back using a forward button. Maybe that's a change for the better. My laptop is hypersensitive and changes windows unexpectedly.
    Has it cooled down in your part of the country? The northeast will continue to be cool this week. We are hoping for rain tomorrow as it has been a very long time.

Thanks everyone for empathizing with me having a summer cold. I had a lot of trouble sleeping but I finally feel a lot better. I made it to my DD's in MA on schedule to spend a few days with my granddaughters while my DD works. (the nanny is on vacation)
    We will have full days, so I need to try to sleep.

Josie, wow, I can't believe your son is a senior. This is a very big accomplishment for your son and your family. And then you can do it all over again (middle school, high school) with your youngest.

SAB, hard to believe you are interviewing! It must be a good job....I hope if it looks right that you will be the favorite candidate!

Did DD find a car?

I have been thinking about work and all the things I want to do this semester. I am concerned because my course is under-enrolled and it may be canceled. I have seniority over one other evening instructor, but she is one of my close friends. If I "bump" her, she will be upset. If I don't, I will be upset. Let's hope my course runs at the last minute. Our geology discipline has over 100 empty course seats remaining. Astronomy discipline has fewer than 20 remaining. I think students are not having a good experience with earth science in high school. Why else would they not want to take our fun courses?

Sew, I'm glad you are weaning back down on the meds. I hope it's for good this time. Keep taking it easy.

• SAB
    edited August 2015

I am excited about this opportunity. It would be an excellent step up. The first interview is Monday, by phone. They must be winnowing down the field for personal interviews. Frankly, I'm gratified to just be called, so whatever happens is fine.

Dd the elder smashed her toe and couldn't drive down. She'll have to do with her junker for two more weeks since she's working next weekend, and then we'll see what's available. I hate car shopping!

Joan. I hope your class makes. Earth Sciences are so big at our school. Come teach here!

Finally, I don't want to worry but I have detected a small lump. Could be scar tissue. Doctor tomorrow for an initial exam. I'll wear something with pockets if anyone wants to come and hold my hand.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2015

Diane, you could most likely sell those tickets and make money on them. Put them on Craigs list or on ebay and I am betting you will make a profit...hey, why not since you are going to be with the babies..LOL BTW, Sept. 3rd would have been my Mom's 87th birthday if she had not passed a few years ago.

Sab, fingers crossed you get this job!

Joan, hoping that more people take that geology class. I loved my college Earth Science class (it was for non science majors so I guess it was the dummed down version..LOL) because it had a bit of everything. Astronomy, Geology, Meteorology etc. My Professor was a rock and roll goddess filled with tattoos and a nose ring and you could tell how much she LOVES science by her enthusiasm. I never enjoyed learning about igneous rocks so much in my life...LOL! Hope you feel better soon!

Janis, Hi sweetie! I often lose posts too...HATE IT!

Brookside, I am truly tired of applying and not getting chosen at this point. I don't want to put myself through it again frankly. I have applied for this exact same job 3 times! Every single time, they chose someone else (actually not true, once it was preordained cause and old director got fired from her last job and came crying to our Exec Director about how she needed work so he hired her without interviewing anyone and gave her a bigger title and now she runs the whole show which was her goal from the start) so not going to go through that again!

Sew, hope that your dose of prednisone does the trick and that you tolerate it well enough.

Josie, how exciting that your son will be finishing high school soon. Congrats on the clean mammo.

Redhead, I am so very much in awe of anyone who can be at a fair every day and forgo the funnel cake! LOL High FIVE!

Well, I had my mammo today and my 6 month check up with the breast surgeon. After sitting in the waiting room for over an hour waiting for the radiologist to call me in, she comes out and brings me in a room and tells me she needs to do a "quick" ultrasound to make sure something she saw is nothing....which Glory Be, it was nothing she determined. Scared the living daylights out of me for a spell though! I was at Yale from 8:30 am and got back to work at 12:30! Long long long morning for sure!

Well, as the old saying goes, "that is all the news that is fit to print." xo

• MostlySew
    edited August 2015

Sab......holding your hand tightly here........ And April will too since she knows how to get the all clear from scary bumps, way to go April.

• GoodConstitution
    GoodConstitution Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2015

This is my second day of rads so it's nice to hear from all you who have endured. I appreciate your feedback. I'm such a chicken that I take an Ibuprophen before I go and put the lotion on even though I have no symptoms yet!

Did any of you do naturepathic remedies?

• MostlySew
    edited August 2015

GoodConstitution,

I didn't do naturepathic per se....although I did use a different deodorant during rads (Toms), and was very careful with the lotion (aloe or calendula cream). and yes, you should be using the lotion at least 3 times a day even now as it helps in the long run. Just make sure to apply it at least 2 or 4 hours before rads (I forget which). I was careful to eat at least 60 g of protein daily as it helps with healing, took vit. d and calcium citrate, and tried to do some amount of exercise at a much easier pace daily. Lots of sleep or a few short naps daily helps too. You've found a good solution with your ibuprophen before treatment, and I bet within a week or so it will all be such old hat that you don't even need that. Good luck.......

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2015

I did the same, GoodConstitution (emu oil and ibuprufen), and it worked out just fine. And by the way, this is really scary stuff and we're all pretty much just a bunch of clucking chickens. I was the chickenist of the chickens. Not sure what naturepathic remedies might be called for, but do please be careful to you stay away from vitamins and supplements which might benefit the nasty cancer cells just enough to keep them from sizzling into oblivion. I actually boycotted all vitamins except D3 until I'd been on arimidex for a couple of weeks and felt confident that it was out there on the warpath.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2015

Joan, I sure hope your course fills up. Well, not all the way up, just enough that you have a course, but with minimal papers to grade and with more free time for you! Also hope you do not have to make the totally icky choice between work and colleague. I have no doubt your slightly junior colleague is rooting for your class too!

SAB, good luck with the interview/s. Hoping this is the job for you.

Glad the nothing was, indeed, nothing. April. SAB, you're next on the nothing list. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sounds as though things are moving along, Sew, slow as they may be. I'm sure your progress feels like glacial creep (is that a geology reference, Joan?), but progress it is.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2015

Good analogy, Brookside, you're right...I do indeed feel like glacial creep. Smile

• josie123
    edited August 2015

SAB, I will definitely be in your pocket for sure. And praying it's nothing . Keep us posted.

April, I know what you mean how scary it is when they call you back . I'm so happy all was well.

Good Constitution, welcome. And It sounds like you got some really good advice. Just remember to lightly exercise if you can. Just a short walk. It helps with your energy level. And fatigue may not hit until the end of Rads. It is a cumulative thing.

• josie123
    edited August 2015

Diane, thanks for the concern. We are staying safe so far. I lucked out last night when I got to leave early from work since I was at other location(we rent a space at a urgent care facility and get to leave when Dr leaves only on Monday afternoon. We are rotating.The protesters shut down both sides of the highway. I would of been stuck for sure if I hadn't left early.

Tonight the whole highway aS shutdown again. This time due to a accident. It took me 45 min to get home since I had to allow half the highway in front of me because no one reads the signs that state miles back about getting over and off highway since its shutdown. It really amazes me sometimesDevil

• SAB
    edited August 2015

Well, I'm freaked out. Doctor found not one but three small lumps. She made me call to set up a mammogram right there in the office while she updated my records. Dropping her name got me in for a mammogram and ultrasound on Thursday morning. She said that a diagnostic mammo would get me results right away. She also ordered a ton of blood work, which I will do in between those two appointments. Dr. Bully! My last mammo was clean, and it was just in March so this is very sudden. She has ordered me to do follow up visits with my MO and BS as well, after the blood work. Yikes. I had to tell my boss that I would be out for some chunks coming up.

I'll let you guys know on Thursday.

• brooksidevt
    edited August 2015

Nasty surprise, SAB. As you know, odds are very much in favor of the "nothing" conclusion, tripled. Good to have the scans, just to prove those little bumps are of no account. That said, I know you can't wait until Thursday is over and done with. Sending thoughts of peaceful imaging (try the puppies and bunnies thread, whatever it's called--oodles of happy pictures).