Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2015

Diane your welcome.Have a good weeked everyone!!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2015

Diane,

Do check out both prolia (shot every 6 months) and reclast (infusion once a year) but beware that both of them list necrosis of the jaw as a possible side effect although controlling when you have major dental work done (extractions etc.) is supposed to side step the issue. Also, along with your magnesium and calcium be sure you're getting 2,000 iu vit d3 daily. You could always eat 5 prunes/day instead of taking a magnesium pill....I swear it helped my osteoporosis issues. Good Luck. It seems the 3 new medicines I take for my lung issue can cause osteoporosis, which I already had. It's a big battle for me so I do get the reclast infusions now (was getting prolia) and am diligent about the extra calcium, D3, magnesium and weight bearing exercise daily. I'll know next February if I'm anywhere near keeping up with the bone destruction.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2015

Thanks Sew. I know those infusions can cause jaw issues. My ONC's nurse said I can't have them unless I try Fossamex first which also causes jaw problems. No can do. Dentist makes a fortune on my dental work although lately had good checkups.

Good luck. Hope you get good results.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited July 2015

Also Sew ONC prescribed Calcitonin nasal spray. 1x a day alternating nostrils. Btw can't stomach prunes.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited July 2015

Diane,

Yep, prunes do take a bit of getting used to, to put it delicately! My onc went straight to the prolia/reclast infusions instead of messing with fosamax but each case is different. I haven't heard of the calcitonin spray but did just read about it. I gather it does somewhat the same thing the prolia and reclast do, which is decrease the rate of bone re-absorbtion by our bodies. It will be interesting to see how that does. By the way, you are taking calcium citrate when you take calcium, right? The other kind (found in tums etc.) doesn't really work for what we need.

• edwards750
    edited July 2015

Yes I am. Hoping this spray works. Rather have the infusion. Have appt with ONC next month. Interesting question that Josie asked about where the osteoporsis actually is in the hip or spine. Never occurred to me.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2015

Checking in from the West Coast--it is 6 am here and I have been up since 4am due to texts from east coast friends.

I read back and learned some things- that dogs can fly, for one. Diane, I am gkad Superdog is OK. I hope these guys continue to settle down.

Queen, love your kitty and the fancy name! Best wishes on the "short course" of rads. You got all the advice you need--expect to feel fine and adjust as you go along. The 1.5 dose may require a little more self-assessment and pampering.

Time to get up here- my last day with my son in CA.

Today I will meet up with sone very special friends.

More later!!

• joan811
    edited July 2015
    • Hi everyone,

Up late and it's really late because I'm still on the west coast. I guess nobody's up and nobody posted today!
    • I had a wonderful day - the best part is meeting up in Berkeley, CA, with Mostly Sew and SAB. We have met before but we had not seen SAB in 2 years. It was a beautiful day. We had lunch by the bay; then we found a place to continue our non-stop catching up.
    • Sew, thanks so much for making the trip. I hope you are recovering from the long day.
      SAB, it was great that we could make it a threesome once again. You had the longest drive, so thanks again for coming so far.
    • I will head back to New York tomorrow night.
    • Wishing everyone a good summer day.
      Hugs
    • From left to right:
      Joan811, SAB, MostlySew, in Berkeley, CA
  • brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2015

So nice to see your three smiling faces, west coast ladies (including Joan, who I guess is an honorary west coaster). It's easy to see how much the three of you enjoyed your meet-up. Safe and pleasant trip home! Joan (and other east coast ladies), maybe we can get together in August?

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Joan,SAB,Sew, great picture. I'm so happy you three were able to meet up again. Three beautiful ladies . I would love to meet up with you all some day.

• edwards750
    edited July 2015

What a great pic you guys. That is so cool you all got to meet again. I hope we can all meet somewhere at some point in a neutral site. I was hoping to go to New York in October but the community center trip there isn't going to happen for me. Friend took one of their trips to Michigan and it was not fun. Lots of issues with passengers and the mode of travel.

Besides now we have news that our DS may be a father to twin boys in October. Unplanned and DH and DS are stunned and upset.

Sorry didn't mean to wander off the reservation just trying to cope with yet another crisis. Praying for divine intervention.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited July 2015

And thanks to you Joan for coming all this way out here so we could get together. I had such a great time and it was all the better since SAB could join us this year. I think we could have talked for many more hours and still had things left to chat about. Here's to next year

ThumbsUp

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2015

Joan, SAB, Sew....all smiles! Great that Yall got to meet up. Joan wave as you fly over the heartland.

Meet ups are fun...pool party soon for us TX Hill Country gals...:))) wish Yall could join us splash sip.

Headed to CO 8/11 for a few days. Sis is still twisting my arm to move...hum...winters in CA and summers in CO...thinking...getting ready to go dancing...just finished chores...doggy at daycare...moms day out!

Diane- twins...wow double blessings. Zometa every 6 months and supplements&prunes&exercise. Hope no more disappearing bones.

Shout Out to all

Cindy

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2015

Amazing to see Joan and Sew...two very delightful friends! Thank you both for doing the heavy lifting with all the planning! I just had to show up and enjoy them! I hope you had a safe and easy trip home Joan.

Edwards, that is truly shocking news for your family. I wish you the best with working everything out.

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Diane, I am truelly sorry your dealing with such news.

• edwards750
    edited July 2015

Thank you guys. We are trying to make the best of a situation we have zero control over. DS is beyond stressed and worried as are we. The best solution for the children is one she will not consider at this point. While it would be difficult to let them go there is no way they can get the care they need- not even close. There are so many couples who are childless but I do understand the pain and anxiety that comes with that. I lived that fear for many years until I reconciled with my daughter.

I pray hard every day for God's help. My heart breaks for my son and those children who deserve a better life than they will get. Btw she already has 2 small children. I could fill a book with all the issues in their relationship and how many times I begged and pleaded with him to move on. Ditto his friends. DH did his usual sidelines involvement.

Bottom line he is responsible despite the fact she trapped him. Just so you know she has done this before. They were breaking up when she gave him the news. OMG she used these innocent, unborn babies as pawns. She thought he would marry her. That isn't happening. Now his life and hers is forever changed. Those babies deserve a lot better.

We have 9 grandchildren and a 10th to be born in October and these 2 who will be taken by C section in September. She is talking about moving to Wisconsin where her mother lives and while I'll miss seeing them she has to have help and I cannot take on keeping 2 babies on top of everything else.

Sorry you guys must feel like my therapy session but I do appreciate you letting me vent. None of my family knows. I love them but they are so judge mental. DH's family not so much so they will know first. Either way will be tough on my son.

Hopefully this won't result in her trying to bleed him dry. She doesn't have a job. He will pay his share. He should it is his responsibility to do that within reason. Currently she lives with her father and stepmother. Her father is livid he won't marry her. Something is wrong with her letting this happen yet again. Tells you a lot.

Again thanks for listening. You guys are the best.

Diane

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2015

Diane - a safe place to share. Trusting that all things work together for good, even this. Praying His best for you and your family. {{{squeeze}}}

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Diane, no need to apologize your welcome to share any time you want.

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Rotten day today. Right now I'm sitting at Bandanas BBQ waiting for DH to bring the tow truck and tow me home. My transmission went out in the suburban and I was on my way home from the OBGYN. Not very close to home either. My DH is already on a call and it will be about 30-45 min. The staff at Bandanas was kind enough to offer me a glass of ice water while I wait. Luckily they have free WiFi and I have my kindle with me.Oh well I guess it could be worse. Oh yeah my Dr is concerned about a lump in my Breast that all m other oncologist and surgeon are not. He wants me to get my mammogram in August instead of waiting until Nov. I've had three Des feel it and no one seems concerned but him. He is very good and I trust him a lot. He also has known me the longest and has done several breasts exams on me throughout the years unlike the other docs who have only known me for like 2 1/2 years.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2015

Oh, my, Diane. What a pickle. It just seems there is no easy solution, but things really do have a way of straightening themselves out over the long term. Meanwhile, everyone is (or soon will be) shocked and scared and confused, so lots of acting out is to be expected. Sending prayers and wishes for peace and comfort for everyone, and a wonderful life for two adorable, well loved, happy and healthy babies.

Really rotten day, Josie. At least the tow truck is in the family and you don't have to shell out the big bucks. I'm hoping whatever is the trouble is an easy fix, not a whole new transmission. I'm sure it's good to move up your mammo, just to set aside any concerns. Always good to know which lumps and bumps we don't have to worry about. I have a collection of those non-contenders, as I'm sure does everyone else reading here.

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Tanks Brookside, I'm afraid it is the transmission but I'm no mechanic. And yes I will get my Mammo scheduled soon.My DH rescued me and I'm home safe and sound .

• edwards750
    edited July 2015

Thanks Cindy, Josie and Brookside. This is truly a safe haven to air our troubles. I know we are in the proverbial calm before the storm so I'm hoping for the best but braced for the worst. I know it's in God's hands.

OMG Josie what a bummer of a day. Hope it doesn't cost a bundle for repairs. I know a transmission is usually pricey only because we had to have one installed in DS' truck a few years ago. He no longer has that gas guzzler thankfully.

I think I would do the mammo early too just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for caring.

Diane

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2015

Good morning my friends. I just glanced through the last several pages. I am so far behind I doubt I can ever catch up. This thread moves so quickly.

I loved all of the kitty pics, so many of us have gorgeous babies. My three are all rescue kitties, no purebreds but we love them all dearly. I will have to post pictures when I have more time.

Joan congrats on rescuing your new baby! I bet she missed you on your west coast trip. I am so thrilled that you and Sab and Sew were able to get together again. I recognized all three of those lovely faces. :)

Diane I wish i could reach out and give you a huge hug. I understand that the news of an upcoming baby (or two) is not always a blessing. I don't understand why people are so irresponsible when it comes to birth control. I can only hope that something clicks and she may be a good mother to these babies. Maybe she will get some loving support from her family if she moves? I don't know the whole story but I understand your angst. Hoping for a good outcome though. Hugs my friend.

Queen welcome to the best thread around. I may have already said hello, but it has been awhile and I didn't read back that far. Enjoy all the wonderful, warm friends you will make here. Good luck with the short course of rads. We all went through rads so we understand.

Josie, sweet Josie, I am really sorry about your awful day. We lost transmissions on THREE vehicles in one year many years back. My DH's truck went first, and I was driving home from out of town with it. It went out on a brutal cold Wyoming December day at the start of a blizzard. No cell phones back then and I was about 20 miles from home. Anyone who has driven through Wyoming knows there is nothing between towns there. Finally a man stopped and drove me home thank goodness. Had to call a tow truck for that. A few months later my son's lost the transmission on his car, then shortly after that we followed him up to Montana to take him to college. On the way home lost the transmission on my car! It put us off Ford's forever! I hope the news isn't terrible on your vehicle. It has to get better for you!

We are still having problems with poor Murphy but fortunately nothing terribly serious. Poor baby, he is almost 11 and all things scare us. He chewed off a wart on his front leg, leaving a nasty open wound. He became a cone head over that one. Then the cyst filled up again so back on antibiotics for that, then more warts, itching issues. He is now on four meds but seems to feel much better.

I have to run, just wanted to pop in and say hi. I shall return! Much love to all!

• edwards750
    edited July 2015

Thanks Janis. I could use a hug, Trying to take it one day at a time. DS is in the doldrums and really worries me. I know he is on an emotional roller coaster. He has been through a lot in his young life and even though it was mostly self inflicted he has paid the price for his mistakes and now this. Well God doesn't give you more than He thinks you can handle so he will deal with this too. Has no choice.

Wow you were blessed that passer by helped you when you were stranded. The transmission in DS' truck cost us almost 3k.

Hard for a control freak like me not to be able to fix something. All DH and I can do is support him in any way we can.

Poor Murphy. So sorry he is still suffering. The daddy Lab of ours wouldn't eat for 2 days. Better the 3rd day so he probably got into something in the backyard. My other babies are in cease Fire mode. No fighting since their surgery thank goodness and no more acrobatic acts off the roof either. Good grief I didn't know I was going to have to watch the windows too!

So ready for this miserably hot weather to be over.

Diane

• josie123
    edited July 2015

Janis, thanks for relating. How lucky you were someone came by to rescue you.Hopefully your sweet puppy dog gets feeling better. It's so hard when they get old and full of moles and of course goldens always are more prone to the skin problems and lumps and bumps. I hope they can give him some relief.

My husband's suburban is probably not going to get fixed. No money for that and its not worth it. It's old and falling apart. Maybe we can part it out and get a little money for it. He drives the tow truck mostly anyway so we really won't miss it.

Got severely burned by my co worker that left. I was told by my remaining co worker that she took the opportunity to really bash me during the exit interview. I asked her why she would do that and how she knew this. She just said it was overheard by other coworkers talking. She said not to even worry about it. And that I am too trusting.

Why even tell someone that if you don't think they should worry about it?

Trying to not worry about it. Hopefully my management will consider the source and They are not in the position to get rid of me anyway. Yesterday I got the opportunity to draw blood for the first time in like 4yrs . I did great no problems at all. Such a proud feeling knowing I didn't forget how.

That impressed everyone I think.

• joan811
    edited July 2015

SAB, you made it easy! I only had to drive 3 miles.

Janis, so good to see you. We left kitty boarding at the vet for 11 days, and she came home a bit changed. Still sweet, but more restless and changed habits. She's coming around though.

Josie, so sorry about the car issues. Yes, do try to get something for the Suburban - I am sure DH knows how to cash in on parts. Or sell as is on Craig's List. I bought a Suburban in the 1980s - only got 8 miles to the gallon. The engine blew and we had it rebuilt for $3K back then. What a nightmare.
    We got a Mercury Sable wagon soon after, gently used and fully loaded. The transmission blew up in traffic on Lexington Avenue in Manhattan with my toddler in the back seat. Some random guys heard the bang and ran over to push me to the side of the road. They told me of a repair spot on the West Side so I called for a tow. They rebuilt it for $800 but it blew again. We took it locally and again paid $1200; then filed with NYS against the first guy and got half our money back. Some cars just do us in. I'm glad you can take some time to find another car.

I am very impressed that you drew the blood first try. Awesome. Sorry for that negative conversation with your coworker. It is unnerving but hang in there. They may need you more than ever, and it seems you always rise up.

Diane, I don't know what to say...babies are such a blessing, but circumstances make it so difficult. I've had a DD with an unplanned pregnancy and I raised her son. My DD planned to relinquish but changed her mind. She went to college in NYC and got a job and I kept Kyle with me. I often worried how I'd feel if it were my son (men have no voice in most cases). I hope her mother will help her out. September is so soon!

It will be difficult for your son and your family. I hope he can find a way to meet the obligations. Sad for him. Sad for you. I hope he is becoming informed about the issues involved. And moving to a new state could be tricky if she will be on assistance for medical. Is she young enough to go on her parents' insurance, if there is any?

As I say more and more..."as if BC isn't enough..."

I am so glad we have each other!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2015

Josie good for you not letting that coworker worry you. It is over and done and yes, I would think management would consider the source. You have to focus on the job while you are there and try hard not to listen to the gossip. That is all it is and the more you distance yourself from it the better. That is wonderful you were able to do the blood draw flawlessly.

Oh I meant to tell you not to worry about that lump. I was sent to Mammos for funny lumps twice. Both times it is either normal scar tissue, or my dense breasts. I don't worry about it at all. My next Mammo is not until April and I never get stressed about it at all.

Sew I wanted to know how you have been feeling? I am so happy you were able to make the reunion.

Cindy you are always on my mind. I lived in Colorado for years and my youngest son lives in Conifer, up high in the mountains west of Denver. The view from the bank of windows in the living room is of Pike's Peak, and sitting on the deck is breathtaking. I would go back in a heartbeat. My sister also lives in the Denver area. I would love to be closer to both of them.

Diane, I know what high stress all this is for you. Sending big cyber hugs, hope that helps.

I will have to do shout outs to everyone. Busy this morning but wanted to say hello. To everyone!!!!

• MostlySew
    edited August 2015

Hi Janis,

Good to hear from you and I'm glad Murphy is doing better. I know you're giving him plenty of hugs and treats...something we all can use more of!

I'm doing better with this lung disease, but have just suffered a relapse. I was just half way off the prednisone (had been able to reduce from 40 mg to 25) and doing much better, but as soon as I started on 20 mg, the disease flared. So I'm back to 40 mg.. I hope to get back to 25 mg in 3 weeks and then go slowly from there. I guess this will take at least 6 months more to cure, and I was hoping for less. However, at least there is a cure for this which with so many other lung diseases there isn't. So...it could be much worse!

I hope you're doing well, and am glad you check in once in awhile. I'll bet you're busy with your garden canning and preserving.....yum

• josie123
    edited August 2015

Janis, thanks for the encouragement about my job situation. I am way more confident. I think I'm doing well there.

As far as the mammogram. I am nervous and can't help but thinking about the worse case scenario. I'm trying to be positive but it's hard. Why?It's probably just nothing but can't help but think the worse. My appointment is on Friday. Aug 7. Can we have a pocket party?At least some prayers please?

Sew, I'm sorry to hear about your relapse. I hope you recover soon. Are you any where near the wildfires?I hope not.

Joan, Thanks for the advice on the suburban and also the encouragement. I think my FIL is going to look at it before just parting it out.He's a great mechanic and can tell us if it's worth fixing.Sounds like you have had the bad experience with cars and transmission.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2015

Good morning ladies! So busy lately with hardly any time to breathe.

Diane, so sorry about your son's situation. I hope that everything works out for your family and your son. Sounds very complicated and it is sad that there are babies involved. Some women use them as pawns to get what they want...shameful!

Josie, nailing the blood draw after 4 years should impress management! Not easy to do from what I am told. I send people to MA training and Phlebotomy training by itself or as part of Patient Care Tech training and the blood drawing is usually what messes them up when it comes time to hire cause they have too few "sticks" and the employer worries they won't be able to do it. You proved that after 4 years, you still could! Kudos! As for what the coworker told you, the hell with her. She is trying to make you sweat for some reason. Maybe they feel threatened but don't listen! Sorry about your hubby's truck. Also, good luck with your mammo! Mine is on August 11th and I worry too...lol

Hi Joan..nice that you were able to get together with Sab and Sew when you were on the west coast! Love the photo.

Sew, sorry you had a relapse..ugh! Feel better soon!

Cindy, hi sweetie. Take everything slowly and you will figure it out as to where you want to live. Hugs!

Hi Janis! Good to see you! Hopefully Murphy is on the mend and feeling better. It is so hard when our babies suffer cause they can't tell us what is bothering them. You are a good pet mamma!

Queen, welcome! This is a great group of women here.

Sab, hope you are enjoying your summer!

Ok, have to run and do some paperwork for my Dad's estate and get it in the mail to the attorney.

Love to all! xoxo