Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2016

Brookside...better behaved? Hmmmm......sounds more fun the other way!

As for me....... I've been off the prednisone for 3 months and I am here to tell you gals that coming off a high dose of that stuff after taking it for 9 months is not a pretty thing. Talk about side effects. Half the time I can't tell what's going on with my poor, aching body. For a while every bone and joint in my body hurt. That has now resolved into sore knees and hips, and I get totally "creaky" if I sit or stand for longer than 30 minutes. I just seize up like an old engine. I had periods of swollen feet but that has gone and most of the time I can breathe pretty well. I can walk longer and better now too, so I am working off some of these terrible 25 lbs of blessing of the prednisone gifted to me. My oxygen level will plummet for no particular reason (well flying definietly causes it) and Oh, now I will have to address high blood pressure too. So.....I'm terribly glad my particular lung disease while rare was curable (with only some permanent scaring), but boy the treatment sure has left ravages. Not like the cancer treatment that has its own unique residue as you all know. Anyway, I'm alive and kicking and back on the path (but not better behaved I'm afraid).

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2016

Hello dear ladies. I have been struggling through our spring season at work, and have been completely absent. I tried to skim the pages I missed, but it's hard to jump back in so for now I will just say hello, I'm OK, throbbing aching calves since the first two weeks of April (standing all day for two weeks.) Made a doctor's appointment for mid May to check it out, and getting ready for that five year mammo as well (gulp.)

Anyone else missing? I don't recall seeing Janice or Bunkie while I was scrolling...

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2016

SAB, sorry to hear your calves are so sore. Maybe being on your feet so much. Shoes?Are they comfortable or heels?Sounds like you have been as busy as me.

I lost my post earlier when my Kindle died mid post. I hate that when that happens.

So nice to hear from Brookside, Sew, Diane . Thanks for all your concern. My father in law isn't doing great . His back is hurting him. He needs to find out why his back is hurting. Is it another lesion on his spine. He is now getting the newest chemo available for Multiple Myloma. Every other week.He rarely complains. He did let me know he's not going through another stem cell transplant. I can't blame him.

Diane, prayers for your friend.How are those Grandbabies?

My daughter has gotten over that stupid guy and I think he's given up stalking her.

I wonder if anyone else has eye problems since Rads? I just went after almost 2 years or maybe 3 to the eye doctor. New prescription for me . My left eye I have a condition called epiretinal membrane. It's very slight but can cause vision problems if it gets too bad. They can remove it if it gets too bad. She said its a membrane that covers the retina.

• Sunnyone22
    Sunnyone22 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2016

Josie, MostlySew, Edwards and Burnside - many thanks for your input. Sorry you all felt this same fatigue but there is comfort in knowing I'm not alone. I've been so blessed for my whole life with good health and good energy. Surgery was doable. Rads were easy, inconvenient for sure but easy compared to this side effect.

For the record, yesterday's couch day DID help - I felt better today. I just need to lay low until this passes. More protein, water and exercise...................I can do that!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2016

SAB - I'm sorry you are having leg pain. I have intermittent at night sometimes. Tamoxifen causes joint pain but I'll be gone with it in August.

Dang Sew - solve one problem and create another. All these spin offs from our BC. It truly is the gift that keeps on giving. Ugh.

The grandsons are 8 months old now Josie and just about to start crawling. They are doing some talking too not a language we understand but making noises anyway and teething so lots of fussing. We love them dearly but are exhausted by the time they go home. We don't get to see our other grandchildren as often unfortunately. DS's GFF has 2 daughters 5 and 3 so they come sometimes too and we are putting 911 on speed dial! Haha

Sorry about your FIL Josie. Prayers for him too.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited May 2016

Sunnyone, for the record, in my house, we call those couch days "mental health days".... SillyHeart Everyone needs them from time to time..... Glad it helped.

• Sunnyone22
    Sunnyone22 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2016

MostlySew Happy

• josie123
    edited May 2016

My daughter Sarah and her pupsHarley and Tankimage

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2016

SEW it is very interesting about that tumor marker test. I will have to check into that. Diane it sounds like the large age span on your grandkids is like mine. And 5 years out for both of us! Whew! I am a big worrier too. Can't seem to change that as much as I'd like to. Hi Josie and Brookside and SAB. It is nice to be in touch again. Welcome Sunnyone. Good advice for you above. There is not much to add, except to say my thyroid levels tanked for awhile afterward and my complete blood count showed some scary numbers. I was fatigued and anxious, but I kept pushing forward. I started taking vitamins as well. It all passed in about six months. The fatigue improved sooner, but I had a listless feeling for awhile after, as well. Eat good food, drink lots of water, rest often and focus on as much positive as you can. Love, GiGi

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2016

Hi ladies! No way to catch up so I won't try since I have been MIA for a bit. Just got back to work today after vacation last week. We were in FL and boy was it HOT! It was high 80's on the beach and in the 90's inland. I got back home late Sun. night to CT and it was low 40's and raining...ugh. No happy medium I guess...lol

Anyway, just stopping by to say hi. Nice to see you Gigil! Love the pic Josie. Sew, sorry it was so tough weaning off the Prednisone. I knew it would be cause a friend of mine has to do this periodically as she has Crone's disease and she goes on and off steroids for flares and always has a hard time weaning off.

Hi to everyone else I missed! xo

• gigil
    edited May 2016

Hi April. Great to hear from you. Thanks for the info on Florida last week. It helps alleviate the pain of us not being able to go down there for the next two weeks. That sounds entirely too got. Minnesota is kind of perfect right now. CT should be warming up soon too, right

• josie123
    edited May 2016

April,

Good to hear from you finally!!!

Vacation in Florida?Fun Fun Fun!!!

Good for you. Thanks for comment on picture.I just loved that picture she texted me and had to share.

Gigil,

When do you go back to Florida?Not soon enough?

Our ultrasound tech just announced she is quitting and moving her family to Florida.She schooled us all.You can't blame her though .

Had my surgeon yearly appointment today.Everything was good.One area under my surgery breast is painful and a small lump.He doesn't seem worried.I know there are cysts in both breasts.

• edwards750
    edited May 2016

April you sap- would love to be in Florida hot or not. It's cooled off in Tennessee too big not in the 40s. Brr.

Well I played bumper cars in the Kroger parking lot yesterday. They are remodeling the store so parking is at a premium. I didn't turn sharply enough into the parking space and scraped my car and another one. Ugh. So mad at myself. Estimates to repair it - painting mostly are $600-700. Dang. If test isn't enough our monster pin oak tree is DOA and will cost $2100 to take it down and the stump too. When it rains it pours.

When bad things happen my dad used to say "this too shall pass. I keep telling myself that and waiting. Haha.

Diane

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2016

Hi y'all

Just checking in.

Good to see 5year celebrations...congrats! In your pockets for annual checkups

My sister is headed to the Kentucky Derby...can't wait to see glam hat!

Josie - cute pic

April - too hot too cold but it's still vacation

Diane - ugh no more rain...your dad was right...

Sew - 😘

GiGil - gma moments...a gf is flying back from Minnesota, but she will head back for the summer...how are the grandkids

Sunnyone - welcome

SAB - what happen to your book?

Joan, Brookside, Bunkie, Fran, Janis, BigD-Dallas...sending the best

Hit a few bumps on move, but recalculating. For now planning on concert with The Eggmen in a few weeks. Reserved a table for 10 very active fun widows so we can jam, dance, and celebrate life!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• april485
    edited May 2016

Hi Cindy! You are right...hot, cold or whatever, it was still vacation and I enjoyed every single second of my 8 days in the Sunshine State! Great to hear from you dear one and it sounds like you are still running a million miles an hour per your usual life!

Welcome Sunnyone!

Diane, sorry about the boo-boo to your car and to the other one you had a hug with...Winking

Hugs to all and back to work for this busy day. Later gators!

• KarenR0618
    KarenR0618 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2016

Diane, My mom use to say that also. There were days I would think ok when is it going to pass?

• MostlySew
    edited May 2016

UhOh Karen, I think our age might be showing? SillyHeart

Cindy...I want in on that table if you've got room. I'll leave my DH at home even! Sounds like so much fun.

April, I'm with you on the heat....Cabo was just plain hot (and therefore sweaty!)

After While Croc-o-diles ! (just for you Karen, funny how we remember our Mom's favorite sayings. I was shocked when my Mom started saying "cool' when she was what, in her 80's. Just weird)......

• josie123
    edited May 2016

Cindy, so nice to hear from you. Glad all is well. Concert sounds fun!!

Diane, sorry to hear about the fender bender at Krogers. And tree problems too? Hugh

When it rains it pours.

My oldest daughter took me out to lunch today for mothers day. She gave me a mug for my gift but she had a great way of telling me I am going to be a grandma by putting her ultrasound picture on the mug it said Suprise . I had to give her a hug of course but apparently she is 17 weeks along and is due October12. The sad thing is she got pregnant in January before her 21st birthday and she didn't find out till April 8th. She admitted the father is her stupid X boyfriend. I am still in shock.But will support her.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2016

Josie - Congratulations! Babies are a blessing...breathe and just marvel at the US pic...happy GMa 😊

• josie123
    edited May 2016

Thanks Cindy,I am happy but still scared for her.Your right Babies are a miracle fromGod no matter how they happen.I believe there is no such thing as a child that's a mistake

• edwards750
    edited May 2016

Wow Josie congrats! Babies are a blessing. We know how you feel with the surprise. DS's were certainly a surprise but we supported him regardless. The babies didn't ask to be born. Is the X going to be part of the child's life? Did she tell him yet? How is DH taking the news?

My DS and his GFF had s very rocky start the first months after she called him with the news. They had broken up too. He was in a total state of shock. That has worn off of course but I think deep down he still is a bit angry because he said she trapped him. He loves those little guys he just doesn't totally trust her.

Fast forwarding to now they are 9 months old and so precious. I love being a grandma and you will too. We have 12 niw! Yikes!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2016

Oh, gosh, Josie. The news about the baby is wonderful. The news about the ex, not so much. I hope, sincerely hope, that she will not be tempted to drift back into a relationship with him. Your daughter must be cycling between joy and worry. You too, come to think of it.

Cindy, so very, very nice to hear from you. I hope you'll stick around.

• gigil
    edited May 2016

Josie, congrats on the grandchild on the way. The love for and from a grandchild are just the best! Sometimes these situations that don't seem ideal turn out to be such blessings in disguise.

Cindy good to hear from you, and that you are thriving! You always seem to enjoy life so much! Excellent!

Diane, sorry to hear about your car mishap, but it sounds like you are getting it handled. We are hardest on ourselves.

We took our son's family out for dinner tonight. It was our Granddaughter's 17th birthday. We went to a Japanese place. It was so entertaining watching our 2 1/2 year old grandson eating ramen noodles. He is such a character! I was in such a funky mood today. We just lost a close friend to a scuba diving accident. Those grandkids can make life so much better! Josie, you have good times in store for you

• josie123
    edited May 2016

Thanks Diane,Brookside and Gigil.I am looking forward to being a Grandma.My hubby is still in shock.Sarah is not living with my in laws anymore.She wore out her welcome with the dogs and my MIL finally had enough because she can't handle him since her surgery.She told her the dogs can't live there anymore.I can't really blame her.But Sarah doesn't have anywhere to go so she is living with the X in her friends basement.She never promised him a relationship but did promise him if he every laid ahand on her that would be it. I'm hoping she doesn't take him back not even for a second

• april485
    edited May 2016

Wow Josie, Congrats on the grandbaby (they really are the best blessing ever!) but I know this is one of those bitter sweet times for your family. I pray that your daughter does everything smart for her and her baby and not give a lick about what he wants from the relationship. Hearing that she is back living with him is disturbing I'm sure, but hopefully she will be smart about all of this. Hugs!

Running as usual........

• edwards750
    edited May 2016

Josie - I hate she moved back in with him too. I understand how your MIL feels though. As much as we love our kids and grandkids living together sometimes just doesn't work out. We will miss our son but he needs to move on and out. We are amazed at his transformation since he has become a father in particular, his drinking habits. He hasn't had a drink/beer in months. While he still hangs out with friends he spends most of his time with his children. He has saved a lot of money as well. Maybe her X will change his evil ways now. I hope so for your daughter's sake.

Bless your DD she is so devoted to her dogs and that is incredibly compassionate. DS is leaving his dog with us when he moves. Thank goodness. We love him so much and we can give him a lot of attention.

Gigil - thanks I know these things happen. Sorry about your friend.

Cindy - good to hear from you!

April - you are always on the move. I remember those hectic days. Not so crazy for me these days.

My brother just lost his job after 8 months on the job. Completely blindsided. He just got a merit raise and bonus. His new division is taking the fall for a big drop in revenue. He is devastated. He just left another job in corporate America after nearly 20 years. This company pursued him aggressively. He decided to take the risk after countless job interviews that never panned out.

He and my SIL aren't destitute by any means but obviously it's a major financial hit. She is a RN and they do have other financial sources. I worry about his state of mind. He feels so defeated. He is middle age so he will be competing with younger applicants for jobs.He has an impressive resume and references but the age discrimination is alive and well in this country unfortunately.

We are praying he finds something soon. They have 4 kids one of whom he is getting married next weekend, a college age son, 16 year old daughter and a special needs son. He has a large network and recruiters at work trying to help him find a job.

Makes my fender bender so insignificant which it is anyway.

Diane

• josie123
    edited May 2016

Diane, I'll pray for your brother.

I agree.I am really disappointed in her choices.My daughter came by last night and I tried to talk some sense in her but to no avail instead I just made her mad and she quickly left. My husband is having a hard time with it.I had a nightmare about her ex last night.

April, Thanks also for your nice comments

Thursday night I was letting my do outside on the leash and stupidley reached out to grab my daughters do Tank as he tried to run out too. And this is what I did to my finger

• josie123
    edited May 2016

It was dislocated

• josie123
    edited May 2016

• josie123
    edited May 2016

they pulled it back into place though