Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2016

Not good news for my friend Tammy. Cancer has metastasized to her hip. It's treatable but not curable. Needless to say we are all heartbroken and devastated for her. I'm sure she is stunned and scared. Who wouldn't be? The doctors are going to do a biopsy and then decide on a treatment plan. Please remember her in your prayers. OMG I wish they would find a cure.

So glad your DD did that Josie. I hope she decides to get the restraining order just in case.

Hope your DH feels better soon Joan. Dang pretty pricey plumbing work but beats the alternative.

Charger - thanks for saving those babies.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited March 2016

Josie, almost ev ery abuser abuses animals first, then goes to women......It's his way of scaring her into submission. It needs to be reported to the police and he needs to be charged with animal cruelty and then you need to be very careful that he doesn't come for her next.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2016

Redheaded, she do make a police report but nothing has happened yet.Unfortunately in our state I don't know if it's even a felony since he did not kill the animal.It is so wrong.I just don't know who makes these laws but it's just not right

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2016

Josie it is true. It seems that until a serious violation of the law has occurred, police do very little.

I figured the ex would try to see her after work. He is stalking....does he even have a job? Sending prayers for protection around your DD and family.

My DH is still sick...2nd doctor appt. today Change in meds and a ew antibiotic. What I do not understand is why the doc did not get a culture to see if it is viral or bacterial. DH has been out of work for 6 days. Unheard of.

Diane, so sorry to hear about Tammy's battle with the relentless beast. I pray she has many good years ahead despite the mets. I will remember her in prayers....she has the same name as my oldest DD.

April, thanks for the info about the tumor markers. I did not know how unreliable they can be.

Falling asleep....kitty is purring. Time to turn out the light!

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2016

I've finished rads 8 weeks ago and my breast is really feeling itchy this week. The itchiness seems to be on the inside rather than the skin. I've been massaging it and the muscle beneath since a week or so after finishing rads. I'm guessing it's still healing but at a deeper level. Has anyone who finished been finding more changes happening as time goes on

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947
    edited March 2016

Suz-Q I had a lot of itching about 3 months after I finished radiation. It still happens off and on depending on my activity level. I think it is part of the healing process. Of course if it becomes unbearable, get worse or continues for more than a week or two you should probably call the RO.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2016

Hi Suz-Q -- yes, that itching is completely normal. It can be a result of surgery, rads, or a combination of both. I finished rads three years ago and still experience itching and occasional soreness/pangs, and my treated breast is both numb and dully sore at the same time. Apparently (and kind of a bummer), it's quite normal to have these effects indefinitely! It's nothing more than a nuisance, though, in my case ... I hope yours is even less so! Take good care. :-

• edwards750
    edited March 2016

Thank you Joan.

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2016

Josie, tell your girl not to egg him on by sending photos or responding to him in any way. It will keep him coming back, even for a negative reaction. Yes, he is creepy.

• joan811
    edited March 2016

I completely agree with SAB on this, Josie. He is feeding on her attention and will do anything to get it.

Without being rude, she can just stop responding. She should document every attempt and incident to the best of her ability. It is a very challenging situation.

SuzQ, there are definitely notable after effects of rads in many of us as the skin and scar tissue continue to heal. My itching was on the surface and took about 2 weeks to subside after rads. As my irradiated breast began to shrink down to a more normal size, I then became more aware of the internal tenderness around the scar tissue which continues today, 4 years later. It is barely noticeable, but some days it is just sore. Everyone is different. Some have no after effects. I agree that if it is way out of your comfort zone, you should let the RO know. The best part is rads is behind you and now you can look forward to healing and a more normal life.

Gemini, so good to hear from you! How are you doing? I hope things are going well. I hope we can reschedule our "almost" gathering someday.

Well, my husband is a very generous guy...he has shared his illness with me. It's all in my head right now...sinus, weakness, fatigue. He went back to work after about 11 days (unheard of). I could use a day off.
    My DD is bringing my granddaughters for an overnight this week end after the St. Patricks Day parade Saturday. I hope I am well enough to have them stay. Bummer.......and to top it off, I can't sleep well at all. I am very close to taking a sick day tomorrow; or to at least go home early.

It was spring-like today. I hope some of this good weather is spreading your way.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2016

Suz-Q, most likely what you are feeling is perfectly normal, but if your breast feels warm, or if the itching increases (or if you simply feel the need to know what is going on) do not hesitate to call your RO or swing by your rads center. Your RO (or whichever one is seeing patients that day) remains available indefinitely to keep an eye on any side effects that decide to show up. Lots of us found that we needed to be seen in the first couple of post-rads weeks. My rads center even had a survivorship nurse whose role (for the short, medium, or long term) was not only to keep an eye on post-rads tissue changes, but also to help us patch our wounded psyches back together. I found her an absolute treasure.

I absolutely 100% agree with SAB and Joan, Josie. Sending the photos only indicates to him that they are still in relationship. She needs to delete his contact info. Also, she needs to be selective in what she sends to her friends.

I'm not sure what state you are in, but I looked up Missouri statutes. Depending on how those statutes are interpreted, it could be anywhere from a Class C misdemeanor to a Class E felony. Hopefully, your DD will not hear anything, but a process server will simply call on the jerk and he will ultimately plead guilty. If she calls the nice officer, maybe he can fill her in on what, if anything, is going on.

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2016

On the topic of itchy breast, Thank you ladies for the quick response and some additional things to think about. I hadn't considered asking my RO about this. Good advice from you all! Radiation, as I've said from the start, it's the gift that keeps on giving

• edwards750
    edited March 2016

Update on friend Tammy. Biopsy shows cancer in her hip is lobular. Same cancer she had in her breast. She is going to Cleveland Clinic to see s doctor who specializes in metasasis. Please pray for her. This is just heartbreaking.

Thanks.

Diane

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited March 2016

Prayers sent for Tammy, Diane. Suz_Q, I too am noticing as the fibrosis is softening (and some of the seroma is receding) some tenderness in the area surrounding the cavity--had a little pang or two last night. But skin issues, which were minimal, are nearly nonexistent. I’m back on my next 2-week cycle of triamcinolone as per my derm’s instructions (3 cycles of 2 weeks on, 1 week off). Josie, your DD has got to stop fueling the fire and feeding the troll. She should refrain from letting him know in any way that he is pushing her buttons--but if he tries to contact her again, then it’s time to get an order of protection.

• josie123
    edited March 2016

Diane, I prayed for your friend last night. I'm so sorry she got bad news. That is just plain scarey. I hope they are able to help her.

ChiSandy, I know my DD has moved on and is actually seeing a new guy . He is 22 but lost his girlfriend (she passed out at the wheel and was killed) leaving him with 2 young children to raise by himself. He's got his mother living with him but he takes full responsibility for these 2 little ones. Unheard of these days. I'm sure he's much better than the loser she used to date. She definitely saw the light and learned the hard way. I knew eventually she would.

• edwards750
    edited March 2016

Thank you ChiSandy and Josie. It's afrightening time for her esp since she is barely 2 years from her original DX. She knows it isn't curable but treatable. Lots of women live a long time with that DX but it's still Stage IV. I can't imagine the fear living with that. Also my sister has the same kind of BC but her's wasn't aggressive and she didn't have to have chemo or Rads. She is almost 4 years out.

Good for your DD Josie. What an incredible young man to take on the responsibility of those young children.

The rain has finally stopped here. Flooding everywhere. Mississippi got the worst of it and Louisiana.

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2016

Diane, so sorry about your friend's news. It strikes the deep fear in all of us, and sympathy for what she must be going through. I hope that the docs at Cleveland Clinic help her, and I hope there are support services in place for her to mentally deal with this dx.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2016

((((Diane and Tammy)))) So sorry. I hate this f'ing disease. I really truly hate cancer. I am so astonished that with all that mankind has accomplished, we have not gone very far in curing (not treating, that we have done better on) this disgusting disease that kills so many and worse, makes them suffer before taking them from their loved ones. I know it is more than one disease but I believe if they unlock the mechanism of what causes some of these cells to begin dividing out of control, they will be able to apply it to most if not all types of cancer. I sure hope they figure it out soon...

Josie, glad your DD is now shaking free of him. It will be now that he will be at his most dangerous so tell her to keep her guard up big time. Hugs!

Love to all...I hate MONDAYS! xoxo

• edwards750
    edited March 2016
    Thank you SAB and April. I hate it too. We lost a lady from our group a few years ago and now this. Tammy too has an aggressive BC and went through chemo and reconstruction. Praying the Cleveland Clinic can offer hope and help.

Diane
  • brutersmom
    edited March 2016

It is not just breast cancer it is cancer. Today I lost a business associate to lung Cancer. Diagnosed last summer died today. Time for a cure for all cancers.

• edwards750
    edited March 2016

You are right Brutersmom. There are other cancers in my family. Brother had melanoma - doing fine 15+ years later, Dad had lymphoma, Mom and sister and SIL both had and have breast cancer and DH had basil cell cancer. Early detection saved and prolonged their lives but still so many people die from cancer every day. Zillions of dollars in research and yet here we are.

Update on Tammy - Cleveland Clinic's treatment plan is Rads and a chemo pill for life. She had chemo the first round. Obviously they are hoping radiation will shrink the tumor and the pill will prevent another recurrence. Praying they are right.

Diane

• brutersmom
    edited March 2016

Did you ask for BRAC testing. I think that is the on to see if you have a gene that increases your risk for cancer. Sounds like that would be more appropriate than an Onco test.

• rickymaccs8
    rickymaccs8 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016

I hope you'll get better soon. Radiation therapy may be tough but just hang on.

http://radiationoncologynj.com/treatment-planning/

• joan811
    edited March 2016

Hi Rads Recovery friends!

I am just checking to say hi, thinking I'd have a few pages to read back tomorrow. But there are only a few posts....
    I truly hope we can keep our thread going and check in. I'm no one to talk...I have been away since early March. But I do think of you often and plan to be here more than I have.

HAve a great Thursday...
    Joan

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2016

Also checking in, got a lot going on. But the good news is that we will be having our missed xmas dinner this Sun! Hope they all make it. Will have 2 grand kids for 4-5 days. Just made krispy krunch, yum, made buttertart sq's but they keep disappearing! May have to make another batch,lol. l8tr

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2016

ok, I'm checking in from Cabo. I've been down here a week and head home tomorrow. I'm rooming with my sister-in-law in the old town and my sister and her crew ( all 13 of them) are staying at the rich man's place up on the hill. We visit daily. Actually headed out to a last hurrah dinner soon.

The only thing that happened is I tried to snorkel which required jumping into the pacific off the boat and my lungs/respiratory system/prednisone ravaged body sure couldn't handle that. Talk about taking your breath away...it lasted about 20 minutes. Scared me beyond belief I must say. Anyway, I'm better and guess I won't be doing that again any time soon.

Hope everyone else is doing well

• josie123
    edited March 2016

Sew,my goodness that is scared.Glad your ok.Good for you for trying though.Im not even sure I would be brave enough to snorkel.Sounds like a great time otherwise.

Joan, I agree, it has been quiet lately. I find myself checking in almost daily but with no one posting I wasn't sure who would read it. I got my haircut yesterday.

I've been busy with work although my Doctor has been out of the office and today was her first day back.I really missed her because I cants stand sitting at my desk all day. They had a few projects lined up for me though(all sitting though. I'm on weight watchers again and am doing pretty good. I have only been on it for 3 weeks and have lost 5# so far. But have been struggling with hunger and am way beyond carrot sticks and most fruit but it helps me get to lunch.Still have my cravings though.

Fran enjoy your Christmas dinner better late than never. Sounds like a perfect way to start spring.

Diane I've been still praying for your friend daily.

Brookside, you ok? Haven't heard from you lately.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2016

Yes, I guess I haven't posted in a while either. I've been dealing with this sleep apnea thing. Have had the machine for a month, but still sleepy and getting cranky about it all. I'm on short term disability while I deal with this, so have been spending my time swinging the refrigerator door. Saw my onc last week and complained about the 20 pounds I gained in the past year. He asked, "What are you going to do about it?" Really? I hadn't thought about doing anything at all about it--I'm just hungry. Now, every time I eat the "wrong" thing, I hear, "What are you going to do about it?" So far, nothing smart (Unlike you, WW Josie!).

My onc also said I can take a two week vacation from tamoxifen (really painful hip joints) and that if this plus adding Aleve and fish oil and all the rest do not make a difference, I can stop the drug. I was on arimidex, then exemestane. Tamoxifen, the thing behind Curtain #3, is sort of the last option, as the remaining AI has pretty much the same side effects as two I've already ditched.

I'm only three years out, so the thought of dropping anti-hormonal magic is pretty scary, but so is ever-increasing joint pain. Frying pan and fire?

Will be seeing two of my kids for Easter. They'll be doing the cooking!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2016

Brookside, I can relate to the cpap machine issues. I've had mine since the end of November and I sleep just great with the thing. Problem is I'm now sleeping 9 hours a day and sometimes longer. Very unusual for me. No longer take a siesta after lunch though so that's good. I figure my body is trying to make up for 60 plus years of interrupted sleep. Hope your system takes away your tiredness soon

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited March 2016

I don't jump in here too often, but I wanted to make sure to comment to April. Your doctor can NOT diagnose scar tissue just by feeling. When I found my lump in 2015, my surgeon was "sure " it was scar tissue, but sent me to the PS to see if it might be related to reconstruction. PS was 99% sure it was scar tissue because it's right where he splits the pec muscle. I had a bad gut feeling and told him I needed to sleep at night, so he agreed to remove it. Even after surgery he was "sure it was scar tissue because it looked just like scar tissue. It wasn't. It was a recurrence. I say this not to scare you, but so that you ask for imaging or a biopsy so that you can be truly sure and sleep well at night. Hopefully yours is just scar tissue, but doctors do not have microscopic vision or hands. Unless a pathologist is looking at it, they cannot be "sure".