Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2016

Well I have the silliest excuse. I mandolinned the tip of my thumb while slicing cucumbers and it hurts to type! Oh, that plus a crushing workload right now.

KBeee I'm happy that you were persistent. It seems I never really know what to become alarmed about, so your note on caution is appreciated.

Josie, a cutie as always. To you and Brookside as well, I am in the weight gain column too. I had it managed for the longest time, but all the goodies at work and a sedentary job that leaves me too tired for the gym have been disastrous. Twenty pounds since I started working there.

Sew, how scary for you. So happy to hear you're OK. We used to love Cabo so much--spent a lot of time there with our children when they were very young. It was more or less a fishing village at that time, very peaceful. We also stayed in Pedregal, where I suspect you've been spending your time.

Brookside and others who are experiencing hip pain, an MRI of my hips showed micro tears and calcification where the tendons connect. Until then I had attributed it to Tamoxifen. So it may or may not be the drug...

I have the day off today--ahhhhh. What to do first...

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2016

Brookside,sorry to hear your still struggling with the sleep apnea and hip pain.That is scary the thought of having to give up on Tamoxofin.But maybe the little vacation from it will help.I have hip pain but mine is related to my bad knees and the ligament that runs from the hip to the knee.Mine landed me in PT for a while till I was diagnosed with Breast cancer and then I never followed up with the Orthopedic Dr after the PT. That was the least of my worries .

SAB," ouch" mandolins are dangerous. Hope that gets better soon.Sorry to hear work is so busy right now for you.

Kbee,

That is scary how it was dismissed as scar tissue and turned out to be cancer. I have a palpable lump in upper right breast no where near my scar/ surgery site from previous lumpectomy.My whole team of Doctors called it scar tissue but my GYN was worried enough to get my mammograms ordered 4 months early with a Ultrasound too.All was negative but I still wonder about it

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited March 2016

Josie, it is good they did imaging to assure all was ok. That is much better than just feeling and assuming!!!!!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2016

Hi ladies, checking in and wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter if you celebrate it. I am Greek Orthodox and my Easter is not until May 1st this year (you can google why they have a different Easter some years if you wish but I for one am tired of explaining...lol) Since my kids celebrate both Easters, my son and his wife and MIL and two girls are coming over for traditional Ham on Sunday and on Mother's Day, we will celebrate both Easter and MD with a traditional Greek dinner, leg of lamb etc. I will be in FL on my Easter on vacation (first one since we went to FL in 2013 to see my MIL one last time prior to her passing two months later) and am looking so forward to hearing ocean waves as I fall asleep.

KBeee, thanks and I agree. I am not letting this go. I am calling and asking for an ultrasound and/or MRI cause I had a tiny bit more discharge yesterday. My PCP (had my yearly physical yesterday) said that she did not feel any lumps at all but I do! I know my own breasts the best.

Love to all and hope the bunny brings you some lovely chocolate! xoxoxo

• josie123
    edited March 2016

April, I was thinking about you last night. I'm glad you checked in. Sounds like you will be celebrating 2 . Easters. I'm still concerned for you with that discharge. That isn't good. Insist on more tests. And please keep us updated.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2016

Sab, Ouch! That is NOT the way to play sweet music on a mandolin Happy

KBee, I'm so sorry to hear that your lump was another cancer, and thanks for letting us know. As April says we all know our breasts best. I'm glad you kept after it and are again on the road to full recovery

April, yes, and ultrasound. Keep hollering until they do. And enjoy all those chocolate bunnies. My husband told me 30 years ago he would not buy me anything for Valentines day since he didn't like to be coerced in to such things. But he said that he would always get me a chocolate easter bunny. He's kept true to his word and I LOVE those bunnies. Works for us.....

Josie, thanks, the whole thing with the water and being out of breath was very scary. But, if I were in warm water I think I'd have to try it again. Snorlking is such an amazing thing. If you ever get the chance to try it you should. Just stay in shallow water until you get the hang of it and soon you too would be floating on the water like the rest of them Cute haircut by the way

• josie123
    edited March 2016

Thanks Sew

• josie123
    edited March 2016

BTW, we haven't heard from Janis lately, hope she's doing ok

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2016

Hi everyone,

April - my nephew recently married a lady of the Greek Orthodox faith. Didn't know that about Easter. DH and I missed the wedding last Fall but I heard it was a beautiful ceremony. We are Catholic as are the rest of the family so the family that did attend said they handed out booklets at the service so everyone could follow along.

My SIL had scar tissue. She is still being monitored by her ONC just to be sure. Def check it out. I don't know how long my SIL has to keep going to the ONC. We aren't close so we rarely talk.

Good thing you did Kaybee. No one knows our bodies better than we do. Sorry you are going through it again. As you know from my posts I have a friend who is going through the same thing. Thank you for your prayers Josie. Your haircut is cute. Mine is kind of like yours.

I can relate to the weight gain. It is a constant battle. I know it's not all on Tamoxifen. I'm exercising more so it's constant for now.

Sew - bless your heart I bet you were scared. So glad you are okay. Shallow water next time sounds like a plan. I've never been snorkeling. I tend to hang out close to shore. Not that great a swimmer.

Brookside - I have a friend who tried Arimidex and Tamoxifen too and had severe side effects so she quit both of them. She is doing k 7 years out. Also, one of my friend's daughter refused to take Tamoxifen because it would throw her into menopause. I bet the hip pain is brutal. I have ankle and leg pain but not everyday and it could be arthritis or something else. I'm afraid to stop taking Tamoxifen plus it's almost a moot point now because I won't be taking it after August. My 5 years is up and ONC said no 10 years for me.

The drama continues with DS's GFF. They are constantly bickering which is unnerving to say the least. We kept the babies last night. They are too precious but exhausting.

I'm worried about our MIA posters like Bunkie and Janis and Runfree. Hope they check in soon.

We are going to DS's GFF's sister's house tomorrow for Easter brunch. DH and I will be meeting her mother and stepfather for the first time. Should be interesting.

Happy Easter everyone! I expect my Starburst jelly beans and Reese's buttercup eggs tomorrow! Yum! Diet be damned tomorrow. Haha

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2016

Hi all,

I thought I was posting on Easter, but it is 1 am (just noticed that). Glad to see so many posts.

I traveled to Boston area (DD#3) by way of Westport CT (not on the way) making our trip about 6-1/2 hours each way even with the ferry from Long Island. I had a big Irish Coffee on the way back and that has kept me up.

I hope that those who celebrate had a peaceful Easter day. I had the joy of spending it with 3 granddaughters. DD#2 became ill and so she sent her older son to DC to spend Easter with my DD#1 & 2 boys . I took her younger daughter with me to MA. Lots of drama and stress along the way but we managed to have a good time. I was brewing allergies but it felt like a terrible head cold. Better tonight after every med I could get my hands on.

Sew, I am glad you are getting away for a break. Nice warm weather and relaxation? I hope no El Nino rains.
    I totally understand your panic in the water. Even without the challenging lung condition, I had to try snorkeling numerous times before I stopped panicking. I first sat on the steps of the boat and put my face in the water. I just couldn't imagine doing what you did with the pressure of the water on your chest. I hope you could find another way to view the sea life from above. Safe travels!

SAB, what were you thinking! So sorry about this latest mishap. You have had some very trying times, and it doesn't take much to say "Enough!" I hope you heal quickly.

April, I am glad you will be checked out more closely.

Josie, I love your haircut - you look so young! How is your daughter doing?

Brookside, so sorry to hear you are still struggling with the breathing apparatus. You've got to get some quality sleep. It's a tough one.

Diane, I hope your Easter meeting went well.

Regarding the pounds....I am finally admitting that my weight is out of control for years now. I went cold turkey on very low carbs 2 weeks ago and lost nine pounds. I did not miss the carbs or sweets at all. I allowed myself to eat a big holiday dinner and cake on Saturday, and a second piece of my favorite cake on Sunday. But I also ate some candy and a few crackers and cheese. I know I will have to "revisit" some of those pounds now.darn. I have good success on the modified South Beach plan...I add a few things I need to stay on the plan. But I avoid trigger foods like breads, pasta, and sugar. It works right away for me, and I could feel the difference in my clothes. But my body now collapses into rolls instead of the skin shrinking.

ShockedBack on track tomorrow....my goal is 20 pounds before summer. I have had my fill of cake or awhile!

I have to get up in a few hours....still wired.

Janis, Bunkie, please check in!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2016

now after all my work I have to figure out what to do with 2 fridges full of food. Expected 14, served 4. Expected company for 4-5 days, stayed 1. Oh and the first turkey was quickly put in the garbage. Then had to figure out new ways to quickly thaw a second turkey and a new way to make stuffing as the bird was not going to be thawed in time. Oh and the 6yr old GS came down with tonsillitis & ended up going to the hospital Sat night with a fever of 103.56. Really glad this weekend is over. I'm exhausted.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2016

Charger.....The local food bank? Sorry it was such a bust after all that preparation. One for the record books I guess.....

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

our food bank will not accept home made goods or veggies that have been cut up or meat & cheese platters that are not commercially made. But it is a nice thought.

• josie123
    edited March 2016

Fran, I'm curious what happened to the first turkey that it had to be thrown away?

Sorry it was a rotten weekend.Thats a lot of work and food wasted.

Joan,hope you got some rest. Sounds like a lot of traveling.I hope you get some rest and relief from allergies.

Thanks for the compliment on my haircut.

my daughter is doing well thanks for asking. No drama lately

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

Josie, when I took it out of the plastic bag...you know that membrane between the skin & meat... It should be clear, mine was brown/green all the way from the breast bone from the tail end up under the breast skin. NO way was I serving that. I think It had been thawed & refrozen, Either way not good.

• josie123
    edited March 2016

That's a shame Fran but your right I would of thrown it away too

• edwards750
    edited March 2016

Ugh Fran. Did you get it from the local grocery store? We had cake and cookies left over because DS and GFF are fighting. Right now it's a Mexican standoff. We bought Easter baskets for all the kids and here they sit. We didn't go to the brunch because DS wasn't going. I understand given the situation between the two of them but it only adds to our concern about any kind of civil relationship. It seems every day is a new drama. I texted the GFF to take the baskets to the kids but they were napping and no real time after the brunch. I feel bad for the children. They will have to find a way, I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Good for you Joan. My undoing is sugar. Working on it but it's hard becauseI am a bona fide sugar baby!

Diane

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

Diane I purchased it at Walmart.

• edwards750
    edited March 2016

Fran - a lot of people in Collierville where I live won't buy meat from the local Walmart because they sell a poor quality of meats. Kind of like mad cow disease. I have bought meat from Kroger too though that was bad. I don't buy ground chuck from Kroger anymore because they inject that red dye in the meat and it's disgusting. I buy ground chuck from the Fresh Market. They have the freshest best cuts of meat. We eat a lot of chicken at my house.

Okay you guys there is a situation in my neighborhood that I need help with. You all know we lost our precious fur babies a few months ago. Still hurts. The daddy dog is still with us. My DS gave one of his other babies to a neighbor. They were excited to get him. At the time we already had 3 dogs. Anyway this couple - not married - are young and apparently have never owned a dog. Hard to believe from someone like me who has been around dogs my whole life.

The problem is they keep the dog in a crate in the garage. They have a fan and heater for the weather but the dog is still confined to that dungeon until they get home from work. To say I'm upset about it would be an understatement.

I have talked to the guy - he is the real dog lover - several times about this. I have offered to have the dog play in our backyard in the afternoons when I'm home. Also DH offered to give them our electric fence because this guy claimed the dog and the one who lives behind them tear the fence down so they can't leave him outside. Now he claims they won't leave him out because he digs. Seriously? That's what dogs do. They won't leave him in the crate inside because he drags the crate. I have never seen them walk the dog or play in the front yard. They are too flipping lazy.

I have called Animal Services several times. They have come out and talked to them. The dog has had his shots, etc so their hands are tied. What about his emotional state?

There is a barking ordinance here and the dog does bark sometimes. I know he is miserable. I have also left letters for them. They can cite them if the dog barks too much but that's about it.

I am at wit's end. I can't legally take the dog back and I have made numerous overtures to them but they haven't budged. I would steal him if I could but that would be a temporary solution.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Diane

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited March 2016

my biker had a friend who kept a dog tied up on a lead o utsde all his life. my biker finally said eddie, I'm taking boo. and he did. boo was quite old then and ran away aka went looking for love. came back in 2 weeks or so sick, died soon after, but he'd gotten some life and I'm sure was happy about that

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

just take him or have a friend take him, contact rescue places & see if they can stir up some s**T.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2016

Hi...sorry to hear about the Holiday drama and disappointments....but that's what happens sometimes.

I am feeling better with my enegy back-pretty sure it is allergies. I am still struggling with three whole pounds I gained back. It is hard to not nibble on things I love...but generally, I am doing OK.

Sew, are you feeling better? I hope your time away was a real treat for you.

Fran I have had week ends like that where nobody stays and I've cleaned and prepped. I do not usually cook so much though.
    Sorry to hear about your grandson getting sick.

Josie, glad to hear your DD is doing well.

Diane, it's tough to watch our adult children struggle with relationships and maturity. And it is more difficult when there are children. So sorry that your Easter gifts had to wait. I do hope that time will ease this situation.

When I came home on Easter, my grandson told me via text that he had broken up with his girlfriend. I am afraid he has lost a wonderful girl due to his immaturity and inability to show responsibility with money.

As far as the dog, Diane, I do not know your rights. I am sure there are plenty of dogs that live in apartments or homes in crates. My DD leaves her very young Cavapoo in the crate when they are out of the house for hours because he gets himself in trouble. But she is not gone all day. It must break your heart. You have done all you can. They just shouldn't have a pet.

Wishing sunny days ahead as spring unfolds.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2016
    Gee, Diane, when I was a kid, our dogs were always confined to the kitchen when we were out. I assumed that was what everyone did. Years later, when my own kids were young, my neighbor adopted a dog, and, when they were out, put him in a crate. This was the first I'd heard of crating a dog, and was horrified. My neighbor (PhD in psychology) asked me, "What does a dog do all day when you're not home?" The answer, of course, was, "The dog sleeps." Oh.

We talked about the theory of the crate. OK. So I understood the crate was not punishment, was, in fact, a very clever reinforcement of the canine's natural denning instinct with the amazing ability to simultaneously protect dog and house.. Soon after, I got my own puppy, tried confining him in the kitchen (the RIGHT way, no?). Well, not the right way for Spot. He chewed chairs, table legs, even the molding on the wall. Spot needed a crate. At first, of course, he wasn't happy, but before long, he even chose to go lie down inside. When he had learned not to be destructive, we were able to do away with the crate.

My best friend has a dog she absolutely adores. She treats her better than any mother could any child, and would never, ever take the chance of leaving her alone in the house, perhaps to fall off the couch or chew something she ought not. It would never occur to her to go out without putting the dog safely and securely in her crate.

Pretty much everyone I know uses the crate, with full cooperation from Fido, not necessarily forever, but certainly during puppy time, and frequently whenever the dog is alone.

I know you won't like to hear this, but I've never known anyone who allowed a dog to dig in the yard, except very occasionally, and under close supervision, and, let's face it, on days when there is plenty of time to cart the pooch directly to the bathtub. Unless they have a separate fenced run, most people keep dog, lawn, and gardens tidy by either walking their dogs, or letting them out long enough to do their business, after which the dog comes happily running back inside, usually directly to the treat jar.

I agree with you that the doggie in question would greatly enjoy playdates with your pup, in your yard, but for whatever reason, these people do not see the benefit, and probably can not. I guess you have done all you can. At least you know the dog is warm or cool (as the case may be), is fed, and generally is well cared for, and probably loved. I know it hurts to think of him as lonely, but they are surely doing the best they can. I do wish they would at least let you walk him! So sorry!

• edwards750
    edited April 2016

That is so sad Abigail. By the way I love your name. I was hoping my daughter woukd name one of her 3 daughters Abigail. Of course she didn't.

Fran - I have called Animal Services twice. As long as the dog has shots they can't force them to do anything else. They suggested I reach out to them which I did to no avail. Frankly I think they are too lazy.

There are all kinds of things you can use as a deterrent from digging up the backyard. I think its just another excuse to do nothing.

You guys are right about the crates; it's the fact the crate is in the garage that upsets me fan or not. Fans blow hot air and the garage is hot. I know all too well the damage they can cause if they are left to roam the house. Ours went on a rampage with us in the house - just upstairs. I understand that. Why not leave the dog in the crate in the house? Their answer was the dog can move the crate all over the house. Animal Services suggested a trainer might help with that. Don't know if they ever pursued that suggestion.

They could fence off part of their very large backyard at the very least. Just so he gets outside other than to do his business.

I know I don't have any real options but I won't give up trying to help that dog have a better life. Whatever it takes.

Thanks Joan. It is tough when children are involved. They deserve to live in a loving home not a war zone. It's clear to DH and I it's a power struggle. No one wins. DS needs to get joint custody. Right now he has zero rights.

Looks like we dodged another weather bullet. Rain but no tornadoes thankfully.

Have a good weekend everyone. DH is recovering from a viral infection finally.

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2016

Hi Diane. I'm a dog nut too, and though I accept that crates are useful (we took the door off our crates after a while and our dogs regularly spent time there) eight hours is a long time to crate an animal. If they are lazy, maybe some literature about dog runs? Our Bodhi (that's the name we landed on) is a garbage hound, we can't really leave him in the house alone too much, so we put an old couch in the garage for him along with an open crate and food and water and toys. Of course, we have to be careful about what he has access to...lots of cleaners and chemicals and antifreeze etc. are killers.

Oh my, week from hell. Lots of 12 hour days, 6 days in a row. Off today, then it starts again for another 6 days before our special event is complete. I'm just too freaking old for this job.

• edwards750
    edited April 2016

SAB - it is too long. I know they have music on and today he was barking from a window in the garage so at least he isn't confined to the crate in the garage. Since I spoiled my babies and still spoil the one we have left it's hard for me to comprehend a dog owner treating that precious baby with such indifference.

Bless your heart I bet you are tired. I worked similar hours at FedEx and it almost did me in. Hope you get a break soon.

Friend had her monthly tea party today. Always enjoyable. Lots of food and drink besides tea if course. Kind of sad too she and her son are moving to South Carolina sometime this year. I'll really miss her.

Have a good week!

Diane

Go Nova beat those Tarheels!

• edwards750
    edited April 2016

Our group is kind of quiet lately. Hope everyone is doing okay.

Just wanted to post anupdate on my friend Tammy. The doctors treatment plan was going to be radiation on the hip but the MRI showed there is more than one lesion so they can't do it. Obviously she is devastated as are we. Her treatment plan now is a chemo drug for the rest of her life.

Please pray for her and her family.

Thanks.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited April 2016

Edwards that truly sucks. Another lady in my chemo group just went stage V as well. She will be on chemo once a week for 3 weeks then off for 1 week for the rest of her life.

I'm so, so. Going backwards, less energy each day. Actually having to lay down in the afternoons after doing next to nothing. Had to push myself to make a pot pie yesterday then in bed. Really makes me wonder what's going on.

• edwards750
    edited April 2016

It does suck charger. She is the second person in our group to be Stage IV; the other lady passed away after being told she had 4 months. She died a month later. I hate when they give you expiration dates. Frankly I don't want to know. This is scary stuff and hitting too close to home.

So how long have you been feeling so fatigued? Meds causing your lack of energy? Stress can sure cause being overtired too.

Also forgot to mention we had a lady from a local hospital talk to our group last night about lymphodema. She is a physical therapist. I didn't know you can get it at any time like forever. So much for the 5 year milestone. It is brutal. Several ladies wear compression sleeves. The PT advice was don't overdo. It seems we are in a constant recovery state. I exercise but nothing strenuous.

Breast cancer the gift that keeps on giving. Ugh.

Feel better.

Diane

• josie123
    edited April 2016

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/638/256db7b0-e21f-0133-42ec-0e89da4c2bc1.png?w=1200&h=1200&fit=max&auto=format&q=70

This oncologist is making these camisoles for breast cancer patients undergoing radiation. Just wanted to share.image