Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• countryfrenchrose
    countryfrenchrose Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2016

Hello all, I am post radiation April 25 right side breast conservation lumpectomy. Now the site is hard and swollen. It has gotten worse this week painful. Anyone else take the lumpectomy radiation root? I had 6 months of taxol and AC before radiation. No response my tumor did not shrink from the Chemo. Then 6 weeks maximum radiation 36 treatments. My oncologist says Seroma and do nothing. He ishere in NYC. My surgeon is is Michigsn sent her a picture she said it could be drained or not just use compression

and I start xeloda tonite I am triple negative so Xeloda new I missed a trial with carboplatin because of deadlines

Anybody doing any vaccine trials

Anybody out there have anything similar after radiation?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2016

That sounds mighty uncomfortable, countryfrenchrose. I know little about seromas, but I would have thought that three months post-rads, a seroma would be getting better, not worse. I'm guessing you are concerned about a possible infection? If I were you, I'd either "encourage" my onc to order an ultrasound (or whatever form of imaging would best illustrate whatever is going on), or perhaps have a local surgeon evaluate the site. If the swelling seems to involve more than the specific area, you could also consider a visit with a lymphedema therapist who would show you how to minimize the swelling.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2016

countryfrenchrose,welcome, Sorry to hear of the swelling .My radiated breast appeared swollen for up to 6 months or more after radiation.But at the end of rads I also noticed my incision site had a little bump and It turned out to be a sebacious cyst.He was able to drain it though.I think it's normal for you to get hard incision sites.Rafiation does that to breasts. I hope that helps and hope they can drain that for you.

• Punch
    Punch Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016

I finished radiation this past Thursday, July 22nd. I am so tired, is that normal?

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2016

hey punch! yup totally normal, will last a few weeks, slowly gets better, real slow. A lot of us are still taking naps 2-3 yrs out.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2016

Just left my FIL's 92nd birthday party. All 8 grandkids and 11 great grandkids there. Babies everywhere. 4 generations of Edwards guys

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

Love the generation pic !

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Thanks April. Had to follow up with one of the proud father!

Diane

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2016

Diane - proud momma...beautiful

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Cindy, I sure am. Thanks.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2016

Those babies are supercute! It might be just the way the photos happen to have turned out, but it looks as though they've already developed different personalities? Your son is supercute too!

Punch, yes, it's normal. Please try to give your body time to energize itself on its own schedule. It's tempting to try to jump right back into whatever it was we were doing before, but this is the time to set aside anything set-aside-able. Hope you're back to yourself quickly!

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

still battling this kidney stone, Urology apt next Wed. Can't catch a break. Then I get to go through it again on the other side. Need to get my life back as garden is coming in soon. Might have to teach hubby how to blanch the veggies for the freezer. Hope everyone is having a better summer than me. Haven't even been to a car show yet.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2016

Diane, he is cute too!

Fran, hope you feel better chica...hugs!

Hi Cindy and Brookside!

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Thankyou April and Brookside! He is my pride and joy.

Brookside - you are spot on about the babies! James is aggressive and chatty - Idk what he is saying but he makes noises and is a screamer when he wants his way. He has fewer teeth and eats like a Marine but weighs less than Jackson. He is constantly taking Jackson's food and toys. Jackson, weighs more, is less vocal, eats less, has more teeth, crawling firstand less aggressive.

April - bummer. So sorry. You do seriously deserve a break. Hope you aren't in a lot of pain. We have medical stuff going on too but mainly procedures that come with age. DH is having cataract surgery next month. I can't believe how expensive it is. We will reach our 100% out of pocket after this procedure.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2016

Hi, I've been away - a week in Cape Cod.  I thought I'd be lounging and catching up here and there.  But I felt sick almost every day.  I managed to eat dinner out at night, and get to the beach twice for short visits.  DH had a conference so I was alone most of the time.  I just did not feel up do anything.  Glad to be home and feeling better.

Fran, I couldn't believe all you've been through  And now the kidney stone...I had two at the same time and they passed quickly.  I was wondering why you were requesting a uterine biopsy.  I had an endometrial biopsy in the doctor's office.  Sorry that your summer has become interrupted.  You are a person who likes to keep busy with many things, and this must be frustrating. 

Diane, the babies are so adorable.  And your son looks like a natural. 
    Sending hugs and prayers for your SIL, nephew and entire family.  It is so out of our hands to deal with this and professional help is the best thing for now.

April, you have seen this heartache first hand. I pray it continues to go well with your DH's daughter.

Punch, my experience was that I felt great during rads; but right after it was over, I took two weeks to do nothing.  Slowly I got my energy back.

Countryfrench, I have no experience with swelling as you describe.  My irradiated side did take a few months to reduce to a normal size.  I still have tenderness around the incision area.  Everyone is different; and I hope yours resolves quickly.

It is officially five years this month since my diagnosis.

Good night, all.

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Congrats Joan on hitting the 5 year milestone! Yea! Mine is next month.

I would love to visit Cape Cod. Sorry you didn't feel well. Bet it is good to be home. I am such a homebody I'm never away from home very long.

Thanks for the comments about my DS and babies. They are my pride and joy. I know they are struggling a bit financially although they at least have a sizable savings account. My son is very careful with money and as frugal as he can be. His GFF wants to go back to being a server on weekends. She made really good money. That will be hard on them but they can and will handle it. She wants to go to nursing school next Fall. DH and I will help as often as we can and her dad lives close to them.

Nephew was taken to a facility and is doing well so far. It was gut wrenching for my SIL and her DH but he did go willingly which made it a bit less painful.

So glad you checked in!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2016

And hi to you, April. One of these days, perhaps we can meet. I'm guessing you're not that far from the route I take when I visit my kids.

Joan, happy anniversary. Wow. I remember when five years seemed so far away. Well, for me, it still sort of does.

Fran, sure hope that kidney stone has passed by now. Just in the last few weeks, you've had quite enough @#$%^. No more, please.

• cactus_pearl7
    cactus_pearl7 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2016

I'm 3 months post radiation following a lumpectomy. I'm having some pain/soreness/tenderness in the affected breast. It's mild, sporadic, and sort of moves around. Is this somewhat normal? If so, how long does it usually last?

• april485
    edited July 2016

Hi and welcome cactus pearl! It is normal. I am 3.5 years post rads and I still have some tenderness and soreness in that breast and it has gotten milder. I think it may remain for quite a while if not always be there for some of us. Here is to hoping that you are one of those that it does not stay long and/or doesn't affect the way you feel. Again, welcome!

Brookside, I live in central CT if that helps. Where is it that your relatives live again? Would love to get together with the East Coast ladies! It seems it is always something with me..Last year, my husband was very ill as you know and now he has to have surgery on his left knee (he tore his ACL so bad that several Ortho docs won't operate because he also needs TKR due to no cartilage and his bone is worn..ugh) so we are still looking for an ortho doc. The one that did his other knee moved to CA and works for UCLA. Hubby trusts him so much, he is thinking he should fly out to CA to have his surgery...LOL...NOT happening!

Anyway, if I can get out from under all of the cray cray in my life, would love to meet you and Joan and whoever!

Hi to all! xoxo

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2016

thanks Josie! I'm glad your daughter is back home for now. And congratulations on graduating to one annual appointment with radiation oncologist!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2016

Congratulations Joan! 5 years!

Nice to leave the hectic pace of the hamptons for a bit, we're going to Monhonk next week

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2016

Congrats on the 5 years, Joan!!!  Can't wait for that milestone.  I probably shouldn't ask, but, when do classes begin?  Hope you have another month!

Cactus, it has been two years for me and the incision site is still sore.  That side is still shrinking.  At least a cup size from the "good" side.

Fran, hope the kidney stone has passed. Yikes!  DH gets them and that pain is terrible.  A nephew had his shattered (for lack of a better term) so the pieces would pass.

Take care.

Ohio

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2016

Hi, April!

One of my kids lives in Wilton, CT. I drive down I-91, pass through Hartford, then take either I-95 or the Merit Parkway to get there. Last time, I stayed on I-95 on the way home simply so I could stop at Ikea in New Haven. I stop a lot on these trips; might as well have some fun while I'm at it! I'll be going down for a four year-old birthday last summer/early fall. I'm hoping if we start now, we can figure out at way to get together that weekend. I'm not sure the parents have quite figured out the date yet, but, as they are both far more organized than I, chances are good that I'll know very soon.

Maybe Joan (we met in Wilton last year), and maybe others will be able to meet with us too!

• edwards750
    edited August 2016

How cool would it be for our group to meet somewhere like Connecticut. I have never been but always wanted to go. I heard it is a beautiful state.

Brookside -Memphis is finally getting an IKEA store. Love their furniture.

Diane

• april485
    edited August 2016

That sounds good! Let me know dates. I am much closer to the Merritt Parkway than I am to I95 and I am about 20 minutes south of Hartford. Would love to meet as many of you as can come. Let me know!!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2016

Hi y'all!

There is a contingent of bco sisters coming to San Antonio around late Oct. TX gals are meeting up for brunch 10/23. We are staying over that weekend at the RiverWalk. PM ruthbru or me for details. Fall is beautiful in TX hill country.

Joan - congratulations yippee 5 years!

Welcome to our new radies.

Cindy

• edwards750
    edited August 2016

How cool Cindy. I've been to San Antonio. Loved it and the River Walk. I'll PM you for details.

Thanks.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2016

Welcome Cactus, I also had on and off pains after surgery and rads.  A lot of changes occurred after the rads was over. 
    My left side went down a lot  after being a little swollen (?) for a few months.  It quickly found it's new normal, and I am just about the same as I was before.  But the scar tissue area definitely has days when I feel a little pain that comes and goes. 

Susannah, I hope you enjoy(ed) Mohonk. I love it there too but have never stayed overnight.  It is a bit crazy here in the summer.  We are thinking about a change of scenery next week before I return to work.  We will meet, right??

Ohiofan, good to see you here too.  I return to work on the 15th, but have some comp-time coming for work I did over the summer.  I am not looking forward to giving up my days at the beach and sitting on the deck.  But I am very grateful for my job that does allow me time off. 

Brookside, April, and anyone else who can get around, would love to meet.  In the fall I have many birthdays on week ends, and a long week end trip.  But I think we could find a day. 
    April, that is tough for your DH to deal with the knee and the heel.  Grrrrrrr  Enough??

Cindy, thanks for letting us know about the San Antonio group.  I know a few BCO ladies from TX and wish I could join.  I love the Riverwalk.  It sounds like fun.  Will PM just to inquire.

Anyone heard from Janis?  Gigil?  Bunkie? 
    I saw SAB here but not Mostly Sew lately.  (By the way, SAB and Sew, I will not be in California this summer.  Will contact you.)

Fran, how are you doing this week? 

Diane, I hope your DS and GF can find a way to meet their goals.  It will take a lot of helping hands, I'm sure. 

Thanks for the good wishes for 5 years.  I know a lot of us had rads at similar times. 
    My mammo is end of August which is (I think) ironically on the same date as my surgery date.  I usually do not worry, but I have this cautious feeling....

I hope more ladies will check in, and that those who just visited here will stay awhile.  We are always in recovery....and navigating through life after BC.

• Frill
    Frill Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2016

Hi! I hope I can join in, too. Meeting with RO in about 2 weeks to discuss rads. I'm really scared about how it will affect recon - "fucked up French fry foob" was the term I used yesterday. : / I can't sleep, I know I'm miserable to be around.

I think I've bought almost all the creams - I have 2 kinds of lanolin, Aquaphor, have to get a script for the Silverstuff, need to order Miaderm...maybe Calendula, although with all this....oh and I need cabbage leaves!

Chemo didn't phase me. I knew everything would come back. All I hear with rads is - permanent changes to skin...,dissatisfied with recon, and I picture those radiation damaged children. My mind is nuts.

I don't want hormone therapy either though. At that point, I sort of think it's put on your big girl panties and suck it up for something - pick.