Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2016

imagemy mother and I at the Fourth of July parade

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2016

Thanks! My dad is my rock...beats me on the courts every time...this will maybe allow me to keep up! Yes, very cool having Matt there by his side.

Josie - luv the pics...beautiful sisters&mom&you😍

Fran - yikes 😳 You got the short straw. Hope everything calm downs and appointment is soon. In you pocket😜

Val - what's your countdown! Hope laser tag is going well.

(((Hugs))) to all

Cindy

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2016

Fran - dang girl bummer. Feel better. DH had the same thing. Suffered for weeks and didn't tell me. Finally the pain became unbearable so he went to the doctor and then had a colonoscopy. The doctor told him if it got worse to post haste go to the ER. No nuts or popcorn for him. Hate it for you - love cheesecake - me and the Golden Girls - ha ha!

Love the pics Josie. I hate we missed both of my nephew's weddings but things happen unfortunately.

Pray for Dallas. God these senseless shootings have to stop.

I posted a pic on FB months ago when we had the twins on an all nighter. Yikes! Had 911 on speed dial. It went crazy on my FB page. My DH handled it well considering he only slept a few hours. Ditto me.

• rmlulu
    edited July 2016

Diane - so sweet...you need to take out those energizer bunny batteries so y'all can/will nap! What cuties

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Thanks Cindy they are precious. When they start walking we will graduate to a Sears diehard battery!

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2016

What great pics y'all have posted!

Cindy, wow, what a story (and pic!). Everything fell into place for your dad. I am not so sure you'll be beating him too often. What a great example he is of living life every day to the fullest. It makes me want to try harder!
    Cindy, you remember my routine well. I am not sure about the Bay area this year...DS is renovating and he just was in NY. I had plans to be in Colorado this month but my dear friend's husband is dealing with serious illness and they had a lot on their schedule. I hope in the fall to visit them.
    We are going to Cape Cod soon for DH's conference. Honestly I'd rather be home in the summer....it is quieter here than Hyannis.

Diane, the twins are just beautiful. I cannot imagine two babies! It takes at least two--maybe more adults!

Fran, so sorry to hear about your painful bout with diverticulitis. I know how much you love your berries....can they be strained for seeds? Hoping for quick resolution and also good test results. You need and deserve a break.

April, the girls are beautiful! I am sure they bring you much joy. I hope DH is doing well.

Josie, love your family pics!

Sew, SAB, Janis, Brookside, and others we miss...check in soon!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2016

thanks ladies. Hope to squeak in to see my Dr tomorrow. We will see. Still on fluids. SO hungry, craving everything I can't have. Made a really nice grilled T-bone for hubby last night. I did mention how hard that was to do. But my mans gotta eat.

Josie luv the pics. Nice memories to keep.

Cindy Hope ur Dad is back on the courts soon.

Diane Luv the "Grumpy Grandma" pic. I had twins, I can so relate. I was breastfeeding every 3 hrs, recovering from C-section & had a 3 & 6 yr old. Anyone who complains about 1 gets no sympathy from me. They grow so fast enjoy the little stage while u can.

Joan I'm hoping I can get through this & be able to strain the berries. It might take some trial & error but will be worth it.

Hubby & I have be "chosen" again. She spent the night on our deck box, then the next day was sleeping on top of our garden shed. I was putting out our lawn chairs to have a fire. She just curled up, SO happy to have a soft place, thin as a rail. We brought her in when it started to rain. I really wish I could figure out how to stop people dumping here on the corner. Pretty sure her mom is over at the neighbors, as they look the same. This one is 5 mos old but the other is mature. I've called her Penny cause of all the copper in her.image

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2016

Quiet here today?
    Fran, what a beautiful kitten.  I would keep it, although not sure my 2 year old solo kitty would like it much.
    Will you keep the kitty?  What other pets do you have right now?
    I am impressed with your commitment to your babies....I was a breastfeeding educator for over 20 years and not many would nurse twins  with two other children.  Wow...
    Hope you are starting to feel better, Fran, and I hope you can add some real food soon.

Hope everyone had a good week end.
    I finally got off the couch and up and about after a strange bout of summer cold, headache and fatigue.
    I watched Wimbledon final, had brunch with friends, visited a museum, and went to a concert at our local Performing Arts Theater.  I saw one of the Voice winners - Sawyer Fredericks.  He is very good in person....young guy, big voice.

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

Joan, this one melted hubbies heart as soon as he saw her. As long as she plays well with others, she can stay. I have 3 other cats. Originally we had 2. Chase (Siamese X) & Sabrina ( long hair, looks like a border collie). They are brother & sister I got from a rescue. They are 6 now. Then 2 yrs ago Bubba (orange & white short hair) showed up. Face all tore up, broken tail, pads of his feet had frost bite. It was just before a -35C cold snap, so I couldn't leave him outside. He was only 6 months old.

I breastfed all 4 of my girls. 1st one maybe a month, just couldn't get the hang of it. Just wasn't up to it as I almost died from delivery. 2nd one, easy peasy, had so much milk I was donating 32 ounces a week to the nicu ( baby intensive care unit) for 18 mos. I breastfed the twins for about 3 months.

I'm feeling better, but I'm not on food yet. Things are too swollen, must be cause the bloating is awful by days end. hoping to see my Dr. today.

I can't believe u got to see SAWYER!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG my all time favorite.

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Boy I really am a slacker I only breastfed one for about 3 months. You are truly Wonder Woman Fran. The twins Mom breastfed them for months and she has a 6 year old and a 3 year old too.

The kitty is precious. So sweet of you and DH to keep boarding them. We are dog people but I'm sure if one ended up on my back porch we would take him in if he was homeless. I hope you get in to see your Dr today too. I don't wait well - for anything.

DH's cataract surgery has been postponed so he can connect with a new doctor. The one he picked was one nightmare after another. He was recommended by our optometrist. The office was disorganized, had to call numerous times to reach them, changed appointment and subsequently recommended a non-authorized BC facility and insisted it was k- it wasn't, tech was unfriendly and doctor had a lousy bedside manner and the facility was a hike from our home. The final straw though was they wanted us to pay $1400 the day of the surgery. DH said no we have insurance and will pay when the EOB came back from BC. The lady told him we could give them a post dated check. Seriously? Not gonna happen. Enough already.

DH decided to go with the doctor who treated his detached retina years ago. It was scary stuff. This doctor has a larger facility but they own it as opposed to the ridiculous facility fee they charge. Should have gone with him to begin with.

Btw Idk if you guys don't already know this BC said even if the dr is in network the facility has to be too. Frankly it never occurred to us to check that too. Now BC has refused to pay $3k for the facility fee for DH's colonoscopy that he had in February. Ouch. We are fighting it and so far they have not come after us for the fee. A friend who works in insurance at a doctor's office for many years said DH's doctor who referred him should have known. We should have too I guess. She said to keep fighting it - we will. Another friend got charged the $5k fee for the Oncotype test. Her DH kept fighting it and eventually won. Squeaky wheel does get the grease.

Also saw a report that Oncotype numbers have been reconfigured and now an 11 score is considered the lowest number for an intermediate score. Mine was 11. I wonder how, if at all, that would have affected my ONC's treatment plan for me.

Protests in downtown Memphis yesterday but at least relatively peaceful and no arrests or shootings thank God.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

Yikes! Down 8 lbs in less than a week. This diet is NOT recommended.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 2016

Wow, 8 lbs in less than a week? I bet you are feeling a little on the weak side. Hugs and hoping that soon you can eat solid food!

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

started solids today, but all those liquids are now leaving my poor body, if u get what I mean lol. Tomorrow I'm having my mammogram, mamo ultrasound & bone density. Have Dr. appointment on Thurs to discuss all my issues. Still no word on when or where I get my uterine biopsy done.

• rmlulu
    edited July 2016

Fran - a hard way to loose weight...hee hee not so funny.

In your pocket (((squeeze)))

Cindy

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Fran - so sorry you have a lot to deal with. It is a heck of a way to lose weight. Hope you get your biopsy scheduled soon so you can feel some kind of normal again. Good luck on your tests tomorrow.

I wish these protests would stop. My niece works at the Neiman Marcus in Atlanta. Security has been beefed up because the protestors were in the parking lot sothe mall where the store is located closed all the stores early. She is young and single and I'm sure unnerved like everyone else.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

Talked to doc today, must stay on mushy food for next 2 months , NO GI apt or further tests. Mamo- clear, OB/GYN will NOT do biopsy because I have no bleeding. Bone density- holding my own. I'm wore out & have to make supper, don't know what meat is mushy. I'm done for today, Take care Fran

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2016

In your pocket Fran...

• april485
    edited July 2016

Hamburg maybe? It can be mushy if you cook it that way. Add some water to it and simmer? I make meat sauce for hot dogs that I actually add water to the ground beef and it is soft as baby food. Hugs!

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

At least mammo and bone density are good Fran. Sorry about the mushy food.

Baby Jackson is crawling; Baby James not quite there yet! Love it except they are of course into everything!

Diane

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited July 2016

My DH had his bowel perforated during a colonoscopy last year. They tried to medically manage him for awhile....right into fluid overload, gaining 16 lbs. in two days. He was placed on ultra-soft diet (pasta, cream soups, plain ice cream or custard, etc.) which he detested. Over 2 weeks he was admitted twice more; he lost all of the water weight plus another 12 lbs. They eventually did a hemicolectomy (no ostomy, thank heaven), and sent him home still on the soft diet (and no alcohol, due to being on Flagyl). Lost another 8 lbs. He looked great, but walked very slowly--frustrating for him, since he's so tall and I usually have to racewalk to catch up. But then his hernia popped, so back to the hospital. This time, no Flagyl, no diet restrictions. You'd think that being able to go back to the fresh produce and whole grains he loved and had to give up would keep him thin.....nope. He ate the rich soft stuff too, and went back to his daily cocktails. He's gained it all back. And even with my letrozole weight gain, he still outweighs me by a couple of pounds. (And I am definitely on the upper curve of “zaftig”).

• april485
    edited July 2016

Sandy, only you would use one of my very favorite words to describe body type. I LOVE the word "zaftig" Thanks for the smile this morning. Happy

Fran, I hope that you feel better soon. xo

Diane, I cannot believe how big those twins are getting!!

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

Thanks ladies. HUGS((((((((())))

Diane when my twins were learning to crawl, Kristy learned first but then stopped, As soon as Cheryl learned the 2 of them were off to the races. She basically held herself back & waited for her sister to catch up.

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

That is so adorable Fran - I hope Jackson does the same thing. He was born first and they were both preemies. Parents better start erecting fortresses.

Your husband had a really tough time Sandy. Gotta admit I would be just like him - I would eat anything that didn't eat me first!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane

• 70charger
    edited July 2016

Cannot catch a break, now have kidney stones,

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2016

Yikes to the kidney stones! When it rains it sure pours. I sure hope the sun comes out very, very soon.

I also loved the grumpy grandma pic. The twins are so darned cute!

• april485
    edited July 2016

(((Fran)))) You can't catch a break this summer. Hoping that soon you feel better than ever!

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Bummer Fran. Enough already. Feel better soon.

Need prayers for a non-BC situation. My SIL and her husband are facing a very tough day today. Their oldest son, 20 years old, has been struggling with depression and now pre-psychotic issues for some time. Frightening and life threatening situations. They have tried everything and are at wit's end as you might expect. He has seen scores of doctors but refuses to do what they recommend.

I am familiar with depression issues because my DH has them and takes meds to control his behavior. It works for him. Their son refuses to take his meds and has declared he can wing it on his own. His behavior suggests otherwise.

They have decided to commit him to a facility and they are coming this morning to take him there. I'm sure he won't go willingly. My heart is breaking for them and him but I understand they really have no choice. He needs help.

Thanks.

Diane

• april485
    edited July 2016

Oh Diane, I am so very sorry for your nephew and your family. I hope that he gets the help that he needs. My husband's youngest has tried to kill herself twice and both times was unsuccessful thank goodness but she is also problematic on other levels so we do kind of understand the pain that your SIL is feeling although it has not come to the point that she needs to be hospitalized and things have been going well for the last 4 y ears or so...fingers crossed. Hugs and prayers!

• edwards750
    edited July 2016

Thank you April. My nephew told his X-GFF to kill him or he would do it himself. She called 911.

I'm glad your husband's daughter is on the mend. I know several parents who have lost their children to suicide. In almost all the cases they never saw it coming. Heartbreaking.

Most people don't really understand depression. I used to be one of those people. The vast majority of us get depressed every now and then but we snap out of it. As you know It's not that simple for them. My DH used to have mood swings that were hard to tolerate.

My nephewis so young and doesn't want to live a life dependent on meds to feel "normal." I can understand that but as a mother it's so painful to watch your child self destruct and refuse to save himself. He told his mom and dad last night he was going to walk to the airport, they took his car away, board a plane for who knows where and live off the land.

DH hasn't heard yet how things went this morning.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited July 2016

Oh, gosh, the poor kid! And poor family! Hopefully, the facility will be able to convince him to take meds and, once they've had a chance to kick in, I hope, hope, hope that he will recognize that he needs them. It just seems so unfair that a young kid has to deal with that burden.