Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited August 2016

Jacki, I also have left breast tumor and radiation was on the table. I'm doing neoadjuvant chemo and finishing Taxol September 01. I too worry about the rads damage my lung and heart regardless of how advance the technology is. Has anyone have lumpectomy without rads and does not have recurrence?

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited August 2016

First, the reassurances to Jacki: if you're worried about your gall bladder, ask for an ultrasound, which can reveal enlargement, stones, gravel or sludge--if so, a laparascopic cholecystectomy is an easy surgery (usually same-day) with a quick recovery. You can live without a gall bladder. Also, reflux can be caused by stress as well as having to lie down flatter than usual; and what might feel like gallbladder pain to you could be muscular, caused by your uncomfortable position during radiation.

Second, leg edema can sometimes have nothing to do with lymphedema or heart failure. It could be weak or stretched-out veins as pointed out earlier. And it can also be water retention from a combination of stress (mental & physical, the latter an injury to the part that's swollen), diet (sodium is usually the culprit) and both over-and-inactivity--your body decides to protect itself. I came home from an otherwise wonderful trip to Italy last month with leg and foot edema so painful I had to be X-rayed to rule out stress fracture. Blood tests showed everything was normal and Lasix cured it in less than two days. In my case it had several factors that combined to cause it: first, going from sedentary at home to a hiker on vacation, without working up ahead of time to long distances and durations; extreme triple-digit & near total humidity; eating more sodium than usual (salumi, cheeses, olives as antipasti, salty cheeses on pasta, etc.); more alcohol than usual (at least a glass per meal, and more than that on the planes--free prosecco); salty airplane snacks & meals (salty because altitude blunts the taste buds); and long airplane flights with insufficient getting up to walk around. Examine the various factors in your life to discover hidden causes and perhaps the remedies for them.

Third, a lot of the time men are opposed to their obese partners getting bariatric surgery (or losing large amounts of weight by whatever means) because they are afraid of losing them--they fear if other men begin to find their partners physically attractive, that perhaps the women would find their options expanded, be tempted to stray and even leave them. They've gotten used to their partners as they are (and may have been attracted to them in spite of or even because of their obesity) and they fear change. And if their lives revolve around each other, the patient's suddenly and permanently restrictive diet can turn their lifestyle and life together upside down--especially if food and dining out is something over which they bond. Your DS and GFF need to sit down--perhaps with a counselor--and discuss their fears and feelings honestly. She would be better able to understand his fears and reassure him she's not going anywhere, and if she doesn’t lose weight he might lose her forever, not just to another man; he would (perhaps for the first time) realize the actual physical pain and health hazards her obesity is causing her and that he is unconsciously and unintentionally harming her not just emotionally but physically by being so possessive and focused on potential adverse lifestyle changes. She should acknowledge the impact this would have on their lifestyle together, and be willing to stick to her medically-indicated diet even as he gets to indulge freely (but he shouldn’t get to rub her nose in his dietary freedom).

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Sandy but his objections of her having the surgery is not a fear of losing her to another man. Frankly it would be better if that was the reason. They are together because he wants to be with his sons everyday. Their relationship has been turbulent from the getgo. He broke up with her last year and moved home. Two months later he got THE call.
    He is miserable and I'm sure she is too. They seem to just go through the motions
    although she seems to try harder than he does. I am concerned this will not end well. I do think they both need to see a counselor by themselves and together at least for the sake of the children. She already has 2 girls ages 6 and 3.
    I don't see any displays of affection at all and haven't for some time. There are countless reasons this arrangement is a recipe for disaster but time will tell. Their lease will be up next summer.

Diane
  • 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2016

3 yrs ago today I joined this site. Thank you all for helping me get thru it. Huggers Fran

• edwards750
    edited September 2016

Thank you for being part of the group Fran. We are truly a group of inspiring and fun ladies. Breast cancer doesn't define us. It has been my lifeline too.

Have a nice weekend!

Diane

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited September 2016

Heart

Fran, for you!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2016

Fran,,so glad your a part of our group it's really been 3 yrs.Wow time flys!!

It's been quiet here lately.I guess everyone is busy.

My DD did get her house across the street.She is doing well.

I lost my job Tuesday night.I really didn't expect that at all.I really won't go into it here but of course I am devastated,angry and am having a hard time moving on but I have been applying for jobs online since Tuesday night.I almost had an interview last week but at that time after moving me to a different position up front they couldn't give me a straight answer of my new day off.So I didn't respond in time to the job offer.Oh well

• april485
    edited September 2016

((((Josie)))) Hopefully this happened for a good reason and that your next job will be fabulous! xo

• josie123
    edited September 2016

Thanks April

• edwards750
    edited September 2016

Sorry Josie. I'm sure you find an even better job soon. Now you have even more experience. Glad DD got the house!

It has been quiet lately. We are all busy but I hope our group will check in.

I'm nursing a brutal toothache. Ugh. Dentist is closed Fridays but did call in pain meds and antibiotics. I'll be in that dental chair come Monday. Low grade fever and face is a bit swollen. Pain meds are helping a lot. He just filled this tooth a few weeks ago. Can't c a crack in the tooth. Big craft show tomorrow. Been looking forward to it for months but don't think I can handle it. DS was coming over with the kids but not now of course.

I'm going to be babysitting the kids for the next 3 Wednesdays for 3-4 hours so Jennifer can work. At least I'll only have 3 of the 4.

DH is through with hardwood flooring in the great room. Looks awesome! Master bedroom is next and last room. Need to save to do anything else.

My sister has ILC. She is almost 5 years out too. Arimidex was causing hormone levels to drop drastically so she is getting a shot once a month. . Once her levels are back up Idk what the plan is. Then she had an allergic reaction to the dye they use for her scans and caused a problem with her kidneys. Feel so bad for her.

My ONC told me to wean myselfoff tamoxifen this month by taking it every other day and then totally quit by the end of the month. Yea!

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2016

Hello everyone. I am creeping back in to let you all know that I have been thinking about you, and hope everyone is OK. I don't know how I fell off the board--I am sorry for not being here for everyone. I haven't read back the pages, so I can't really address anyone directly. It will take me a little time to catch up. All is well here, my five year mammo and tumor markers are clean and low. I'm not sure if the new protocols point to more time on Tamoxifen or not, will let you all know when I see the onc. Signing off now, time to read a few of these pages and fill in the gaps. SAB

• edwards750
    edited September 2016
    Yea SAB! Love to hear the "all clear" news.
    Thanks for checking in. We are all busy so not posting here regularly is perfectly understandable. This is a close knit group so when one of us is MIA for awhile we get concerned.
    I hope everyone has a go to person outside this website just in case...

Diane
  • edwards750
    edited September 2016

These little cutie pies will be the BIG"1" Sept 18! Hard to believe. Love them so much

• edwards750
    edited September 2016

• josie123
    edited September 2016

Diane, thanks for sharing they are darling. And it's hard to believe they are almost 1.

SAN so glad to hear all clear, we have missed you.

• edwards750
    edited September 2016

Thanks Josie!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2016

Gee, Josie; I'm so sorry about the job. It's really the worst when you don't see it coming. You'd think medical people would be kinder--mucho kinder.

On the other hand, it is absolutely awesome that your daughter was able to move in right across the street. You must feel so relieved that if she needs anything at all, you are right there. She must be really showing by now--always such an exciting time.

Is there an update on the boyfriend's medical situation?

• april485
    edited September 2016

I could eat those little babies with a spoon! So cute!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my angel at 21 months (she is now 23 months) and I can't get enough of her either! They are so precious. I adore my grandchildren!

• josie123
    edited September 2016

April ,boy she has grown up so quickly.It seems like just the other day you were showing us a newborn pic of hers.What a cutie.

Diane your welcome.

Brookside, yes it is such a miracle we got her across the street from us.She is doing great and even hosted her first dinner party for Sean's parents.It was his mothers birthday.I had to supply the BBQ pit and got a piece of cake for it but they still haven't brought it back across the street. As far as his medical situation Sarah never wants me to ask about i

• josie123
    edited September 2016

• edwards750
    edited September 2016

April - she is just precious! It definitely is fun being a grandparent.

Wow Josie- how far along is she? BFF isn't living there with her is he? Hope not.

Remember when you had your children and how over the top you were? That's what you will feel again when that little one is born. I'm glad your DD is so close too. She's gonna need you..a lot.

Good luck in your job search.

We are helping our DS and his family as much as we can. I love buying the children things. DH says I maybe need to put the brakes on buying for a bit. Luckily for these little guys there are lots of relatives and friends.

Diane

• josie123
    edited September 2016

Diane,, she just turned 36weeks today.I dreamed of helping decorate the nursery but Sean her BF and baby's daddy wanted the project to himself. So yes in answer to your question yes he is living there also. Although the landlord doesn't know.

• edwards750
    edited September 2016

Josie - hate he is there but at least he is close enough to keep an eye on him. Hope he is working. My DH left decorating the nursery totally up to me but he did build a bookcase. So DD must be k with him doing it. Has she had any baby showers? You can find tons of baby stuff at garage sales and on resale sites on the Internet. My son's GFF finds bargains all the time.

Wow she is getting close.

My grandson, Jackson, had an accident yesterday. GFF's 3 year old daughter picked him up and dropped him. He bit his lip and had to have stitches. Poor angel. He cried for 5 minutes. She was trying to be like Mom. He's okay. He is a tank to pick up even for me.

Diane

• josie123
    edited September 2016

Diane, yes she's had a shower Aug 30 and that was given by my sister and I and also this weekend his sisters are giving her a shower.His family were invited to ours but didn't come.Sarah says I'm invited to hers this weekend.They told her to invite me .They didn't send invites just used Facebook.

I'm so sorry little Jackson got hurt. Glad it's not too serious.I remember bringing my youngest home from the hospital,we were eating dinner and baby was on her bassinet in our bedroom and my son Andy went in there when we weren't looking and picked her up out of the bassinet.Luckily we caught him before he dropped her

• april485
    edited September 2016

Wow did that bring back memories for me. My son (my oldest) was a few weeks old when my cousin came to visit. He was mentally challenged (he has since passed away that is why I said "was") and he begged me to hold my baby. I sat him on the bed and put my son in his arms and all of a sudden he just let go! My son went sliding down his legs and on to the carpeted floor (this was in my Mom's bedroom at her house during a holiday gathering) He was startled and cried but he was unhurt! My cousin on the other hand felt TERRIBLE because I let out a scream and said "Oh my God, my baby is falling!!!" So, we spent the next hour consoling my poor cousin!

Diane, glad the baby is ok...

Josie, she really is getting close...pretty soon, GRANDMA!!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited September 2016

Hi everyone. I am sorry for being so absent. Hubby had a heart procedure this summer. He had some after effects, but he is doing well now. I was also caretaker for his brother who had a hip replacement. That one was a real challenge for me. I am due for my 5 year mammo, in fact overdue and I need to steel my courage and get in! I have read back and I think I am reasonably caught up on everyone. Sweet, sweet baby pics, Fran still dealing with some issues,Josie soon to be Grandma, Joan back to work after a summer of trying to relax and feel better, SAB and Janis check in, SEW too, and Cindy as sweet as ever. Hi to everyone else. Love, GiG

• josie123
    edited September 2016

Gigil,so glad to hear from you.Is your husband recovering well?Sounds like you had a busy summer. Speaking of grandchildren how is your grandson doing?

• josie123
    edited September 2016

April,

Wow that could of ended a lot worse.So glad your sons angel gently guided him to the carpeted floor

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2016

Hi my friends,
    Welcome Jacki. I hope your post-rads problems subside and your healing is fast.
    Frill, my gosh, I hope you have a more positive update after your hospital ordeal. Let us know...
    Gigi, so good to see you. Sorry to hear about DH's challenging summer, and your brother-in-law as well. It sounds like you are the chief caretaker and not allowed to get sick. Have you been to Florida? I still remember trying to meet up with you (no luck that time!)
    SAB, I hope things are well and that you are settled in to the Fall semester at work. As you have figured out by now, I did not travel to the Bay Area this summer.

SadI have always looked forward to our get-togethers with Sew....I hope you two will find a way to meet up. We asked DS in Berkeley if he would like us to come for Thanksgiving....he seemed to be pretty firm that he is making other plans. It is his birthday and they will probably travel. Hope to see you soon.....

So much has gone on.....Fran, glad your kidney stones are being resolved and that you are feeling better. Glad to see you getting out to do the things you love.

Diane, wow, those little ones are so precious. Sorry to hear DS and GF are experiencing tension (it goes without saying that twins could do this, but now the surgery....) You are such a support.
    I think it was you who had 5 year Onc appointment -- glad to here all clear.

My memory is fading after reading 4 pages back....but wishing everyone well who has had a good mammo, checkup, end of rads, and Tamox wrap up. I had my mammo in August and it is all clear. I think I told everyone already. Taking the AI drug is up in the air. I wonder what it would feel like to think more clearly again....

Josie, your daughter is beautiful. I hope she can find a way to keep things calm with the BF/Dad. I am glad she is nearby. What a blessing for you...do you know "boy or girl"?
    So sorry about your job...I do hope you get back to work soon.

Brookside, hilarious habit you've got there....did you try to fly??? How awesome that you are in the production!! I am not familiar with the network. Fill us in when you know it is going to be on. A whole new career awaits!

Glad to hear we have an update on Bunkie.
    Anyone hear from Sew? Janis? I have to get in touch with them.

April, adorable grandkid photos. You are blessed. And the best part is, you know it!

DH turned 70 a few weeks ago. My DDs had a limo pick us up for a day of wine tasting. We had a blast! We went out to dinner that night....great memory. (what we remember)
    This past week end all of my children and grandchildren came to Westhampton for a week end of partying for my DH. I rented a big house for them (16 of us in all - no one was missing). We had a day at the beach. I hired a photographer for family photos, and then we all went to dinner at a favorite waterfront restaurant. The kids had a blast. DH was completely overwhelmed.

I will post a few of the non-professional photos my kids took while the photo shoot was going on.

After such a joy-filled week end, I returned to work. Work is a nightmare. I am setting a retirement date and I reserve the right to change it....

Hugs to all and thanks for always being here. I will try to keep in touch because you ladies are truly a huge part of my life and well-being.
    Joan

PS - Susannah, yes, we will....soon!?

• edwards750
    edited September 2016

Joan and Gigil - so glad to hear from you guys! What an awesome celebration for your DH Joan. So cool the whole family was there!

Gigil - Sorry about your DH and BIL. Hope they are doing better and you can get a break. A friend of mine had both hips replaced. She was down for the count after the second one. I'm sure you will get the all clear on your 5 year mammo too. Keep us posted.

I hope your DD got a lot of baby stuff at her showers Josie. Can't have too many diapers.

One of our grandsons turned 2 today. His party is Sunday at a park. Hope the temp isn't too hot.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Diane