Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2012

Sew.....as much as i want to get my neck diagnosed, I have another major issue I am going to talk to my doctor about.  It is my secret....ugh.  So embarassing.  I guess I can confess here to my sisters!  I had a complete hysterectomy about 17 years ago.  About 8 years ago my DH and I felt something wrong down south.  He insisted on looking, it was a Sunday.  I will never forget he told me we needed to go to the ER.  Okay........turns out I have a condition that is not uncommon after a total hysterectomy.  It is called 'rectocele'.  I call it my guts falling out.  Basically you end up with a lot of empty space down south and so other organs move in.  It is sooooo gross.  We did not have insurance and even though I was referred to a GYN, could not have the surgery.  I have lived with this condition for eight long years.  If it can still be surgically corrected, I want it done.  So sick of this.......

So I will find out today what my PCP thinks.  He doesn't know.  I may have to play "Show and Tell" today which is really rough for me, but will do what I have to do.  I really want this fixed.

My doctor appointment is not until later this afternoon, 1:20.  Feel free to commence partying anytime though.  :)

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2012

Janis so sorry that you have so many problems. Ladies I can't get weighed on Monday. I do strict dieting Sunday through Thursday eating only 900 calories per day, and less than 26 weight watcher points per day. I cheat a little on the weekends, so I never weigh myself on Monday. I weigh myself on Friday and this week I lost 2.4 pounds. I now weigh 130 and have 20 more pounds to go. Happy passover and Easter. Have a great weekend.

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Kate....that is fantastic!  Hey cheating on the weekends is fine, you are doing a great job obviously.  We don't have to weigh in on the same days.  Whatever works for each of us is fine.  Oh my problems are just more annoying now than anything.  Not life threatening so that is good.  This 'down south' issue has been with me for eight years.  I am so ready to get this fixed!  I will keep everyone posted after my appointment this afternoon.  I am very curious what my PCP will say!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Mostly Sew.....because you asked!  My doctor is doing everything I need.  He is ordering an MRI for my neck which I have tomorrow morning.  He told me if it is something like a bum disc, he will refer me right to a neurosurgeon.  If not, then he will send me to pain management for possible Cortisone injections.  I told him I cannot live with this constant pain anymore.  It is more annoying and bothersome than cancer, seriously.

As far as my female problem, he is sending me strainght to a gynecologist.  If he cannot do the surgery, he will refer me to the proper doctor.  He agreed that dealing with this for eight years is long enough.  I am so relieved!  Not sure when the GYN appointment is.  They will call me when it is scheduled.  As much as I hate it, I really want to get this taken care of ASAP!

I am not going to be good this weekend.  Our neighbor invited us over for Easter dinner.  I asked what I could bring, and all she wants is a green salad.  I want to do more, so tonight made my first Key Lime Pie.  I bought a zillion key limes...we decided to make one for us and see how we like it before we take it.  It took forever to squeeze the juice out of those teeny limes!  The recipe called for just over 1/2 cup.  Mine is chilling and needs to set for 8 hours so we can't try it until tomorrow.  If it is good I make a new one for the dinner.  Lots more lime squeezing!  My DH did all the work and broke my garlic press squeezing all the baby limes.  LOL!!!!!!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2012

Janis,

What GREAT news. See how well these parties work? And thanks for the cookies. I'm glad you're addressing both issues, embarrassing as they may be. I figure if there's a name for it, others must have it too and someone will know how to fix it. Hopefully that will be soon.

Your Key Lime Pies sound marvelous. I'm dreaming about my chocolate Easter Bunny. I alwayys get one for Easter each year. Hope hubby doesn't decide I shouldn't have one due to my new eating plan ..... Not Diet as we said,

Kate, you're doing Great. I'd be so hungry on only 900 calories that I would eat the cats. I'm plugging along, slow and hopefully steady.

Have a great evening everyone....

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Sue...you can Google "rectocele".  That pretty much sums it up.  So nasty, and like I said, eight years of this is ENOUGH. 

Guess what?  My pie has chilled about 4 hours and I am sure it is fine.  So chilling my bowl and wisk as we speak.  I am going to make whipped cream in just a few minutes.  Quality control testing, you know?  We sure can't serve it to the neighbors without testing it.  Ours may be gone by tomorrow.

I hope you get your chocolate bunny......no reason not to!  I have never had an Easter basket as an adult.  Sounds fun!

May just be back in a bit to give you a report on that pie!  YUM.  Hopefully.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2012

Janis, 8 years is definitely long enough to be dealing with stuff!  I know you are more than ready to get that fixed and please don't be embarrassed.  It's not gross...our bodies just do weird stuff!

I've been tracking what I eat for the last two days and have discovered to my dismay that I am eating way more calories than I thought I was.  Imagine that!  Even trying not to eat, I'm still consuming more than I should be.  This weight loss thing is not going to be easy!  And if someone told me I could only eat 900 calories a day, I'd be fighting the dogs for their kibble.  Lord help the person who gets between me and my food, even if it's a dry as dust rice cake!

Thanks for being a listening ear, ladies.  I'll give the survivorship clinic a call.  I really hate that name, but I guess if fits as well as any.

Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend, whatever holiday you celebrate.  We celebrate Easter in our house, so it's a big weekend.  Family celebration on Sunday.

Hugs,

Steph 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2012

Groan.  Passover seder was tonight along with many, many delicious dishes.  I had cake for the first time in 8 months, creamer in my coffee, wine and who knows how many "tastes" of this and that.  I know that my family was wondering how on earth I could possibly lost weight after seeing how I ate!

Kate, not that you'll listen to a piggy like me but 900 calories is low!  Remember that your body is regenerating/recovering.  My fitness program actually throws me a warning if I consume less than 1200 calories in a day telling me that I have to eat more to avoid my body going into "starvation mode."  We all have to do what works best for us, but please be careful! 

Off to bed now, the gym is waiting for me in the morning.

Happy Passover, Happy Easter!   

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Sab I celebrate Passover too, and I pigged out last night too. On the weekends I eat way more calories than 900. Eating 900 calories a day during the week and probably 2,000 a day on Friday and Saturday is working to the extent that I have lost 2 pounds a week for 4 weeks. I can't diet every day so that is why I limit my calories to 900 during the week. Then on the weekends I can have my wine and my salty soups, and a few other things that I can't have on my diet days. If you total 900 calories a day for 5 days and 2,000 calories for 2 days it averages out to be about 1200 a day. Happy Passover and Easter everyone!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Only 900 calories would be totally out for me, and 1200 is frequently a stretch. Most often, I add it all up and decide I need another 30 minute walk that day. Which, in the long run, is a good thing.

Ok ladies, I'm declaring this a no weight loss weekend. Passover, Easter and just plain a chocolate break sounds a good idea to me!

I'm looking forward to an Easter egg hunt with my grandson who's now 8.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

I agree Mostlysew holiday's are no time to diet. Have fun with your grandson.

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Steph thank you!  If you Googled it then you understand and yes, eight years is too long!  I am not sure when I go to the Gynecologist but betting it will be scheduled pretty soon.  I know I need surgery and want it so badly.  So hoping very soon on that.

I had my MRI on my neck yesterday.  Oh ladies I had the strangest day.  I got up and took my usual meds.  I took a muscle relaxer which Itake 4 times a day.  I was so tired when I got up I could barely walk.  I got ready for the MRI and was so clumsy my husband had to guide me in and out of the car and into the building.  I fell asleep in the tube!  Apparently when I did, my head moved and they had to try to wake me up though the microphone.  A couple times they had to pull me out to wake me.  Unreal, I never sleep like that!  They finally got it done and I went home and went to bed.  I slept ALL day, well into the evening.  I had to make a Key Lime pie to take to the neighbor's.  It should sit overnight.  My DH woke me up at 8:00 to take my evening pills and to help with the pie.  He had juicied all those teeny limes and got the graham crackers all crushed for the crust.  I managed to finish the crust, bake it, and make the filling.  Once it was filled and in the oven I went back to bed.  I slept all night!

So today i felt weak, as I ate nothing yesterday!  I had a bow of oatmeal and I feel much better now.  Whew, how strange all that was.  I do not have a clue why I was so exhausted yesterday.

Happy Easter to all!!!!!!!

Big hugs,

Janis

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Just home from my family Passover weekend.  I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays!

Janis, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.  I really believe our body tells us what it needs.  It's good that you were able to take the rest. Good luck with the MRI results!

Kate, it sounds like you're a pro at this dieting stuff.  I guess that it is completely valid to look at calories on a weekly basis instead of a daily basis.  And who can argue with your results!

Mostlysew, I love the age your grandson is at.  It is the most fun time...old enough to interact and young enough not to be "too cool."  I hope you had fun.  I brought some crafts with me and got to spend some nice time with my two nieces and nephew (9,9, and 7.)  Definitely the highlight of my weekend. 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Saab I am so glad that you had a nice weekend. I am a pro at dieting because I have put on 15 or so punds and taken it off over and over lol. The hard part is keeping it off not taking it off. 

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Kate I have to tell you I was thinking about you all weekend.  We were in Beverlywood (near Fairfax) and I kept thinking how close I was!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Wow that is very close Sab. Do you live in California?

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Kate,

I too was thinking of you today. I'm so far past my 1200 calories for the day it isnt even funny. I think I'll just call it an 8 day week! Decided Friday weigh ins like you do are a great idea, but will diligently keep to my weigh in tomorrow.

Sab, yes he's at a great age. He and my daughter and my Mom, help with a street church after regular church on Sundays. My Mom is 94 and still going strong. Anyway, I suggested we should do the Easter egg hunt at street church and I went to their town to join in. The street people loved it. There were about 20 of them, and my grandson, who found most of the eggs, shared his hard boiled ones with these homeless people. Actually, quite a few of the people helped him hunt. We were in an empty park n ride lot in a pretty downtrodden town and it was a wonderful bit of fun. Of course, I found an egg and had to eat it....along with numerous pieces of chocolate.

Janis,

Well, that's one way to get thru an MRI! You must have been totally zonked to sleep thru all that noise. I too think you really needed the sleep. So, tell all, how was the key lime pie?

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Hi Mostlysew, what a lucky lady I am to have you and Sab thinking about me today.God bless your mom. Going strong at 94 is so fantastic.It sounds like you had a fun Easter. On a holiday its ok to forget your diet. A gal has to have some fun.

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Kate, I am in Northern Cal in the Santa Cruz area.  I have friends and family in LA and visit a couple times a year. I lived there for 5 years in the 80s before marrying and moving north.  It was a lot of fun, but I wouldn't go back!  

Mostlysew, what a meaningful way to spend Easter, and how amazing that three generations did good work together! 

• stephN
    edited April 2012

We celebrated the Easter holiday and a birthday.  Needless to say, I ate some good food!  I moved last summer and it's the first time I've been close enough to spend Easter with family in years!  It was fun!

I've dieted off and on for years, but have never gotten good at it.  I love to eat.  I love food.  Sweets are my downfall.  I read an article about how sugar is toxic and that it causes really bad changes in your blood chemistry, but it has a similar effect on the brain as cocaine!  No wonder we have such a hard time giving it up!

Hope everyone has a great week!! 

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Ok, my weigh in.........I've lost another 1.5 pounds.....whoopie. The scale says 2 pounds, but I don't believe it. I'm back at it, and headed for an afternoon all right now.......

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

It sounds like everyone had a good time with their families.  How fun!  Sew...what a wonderful day you had!  How great you included both your grandson and your mom.  I lost my mom 13 years ago, she was just 65.  We never stop missing our moms!  Steph I am originally from San Francisco but haven't been back in many years.  I remember Santa Cruz though.  We went several times when I was a kid. 

I weighed in and lost 3 pounds.  I did not do well at all today.  High stress I guess, too much leftover Easter candy.  My MRI showed a small herniation between dics but not large enough to require surgery.  Now my doctor is sending me to The Spine Institute for further treatment and pain management. 

The pie was wonderful!!!!  We went to the neighbors for dinner yesterday and they had enough food for an army!  Everything was wonderful and I enjoyed all of it.

I went to my last LE therapy today.  Now I just have to do all of the massage techniques and exercises.  Today my arm was swollen, so I wore my sleeve and gauntlet all day.  Looks like I am stuck with it now!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Sew....meant to say congratulations on the weight loss.  Loss is loss, no matter how much!  You are doing great!  If we move to Friday weigh ins that is fine with me.  I hope I have better eating skills tomorrow.  :)

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Sew, I lost weight too (about a pound) but can't figure out how!  Maybe the weekend food just hasn't caught up yet! 

Steph, for us ladies with BC sugar may be especially bad.  It gets easier after the first few days, and there are lots of good low-glycemic index substitutes these days...keep at it!! It's so great you were able to be with family this year. 

• stephN
    edited April 2012

I've heard all the bad stuff about sugar and really wish I had the willpower to give it up.  I've been able to get rid of preservatives and things that have hormones...I even ditched my not-quite-nightly glass of wine without a problem, but the sweet stuff is my go-to stress reliever.  I love fruit, even prunes, but the problem there is that it's really still sugar.  What do you use, SAB, that's not artificial?

I do know that my weight is probably my biggest risk factor...that and the fact that I sit on the couch with my computer all the time! 

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Hey Steph,

The new Weight Watchers allows as much fresh fruit as you want.....and no points either. I was worried about the sugars in them too, but they're not refined sugars which seem to be the biggest problem. I find I'm loosing weight just fine with the fruit and generally eat an orang and/or an apple everyday. Frequently strawberries too, which really don't need extra sugar. So, try adding fruit in to your diet for the sweetness. Oh, and to combat the chocolate cravings, I treat myself to almonds daily..good nutrition in those. And, mostly don't beat yourself up about eating a bit of chocolate once in awhile....we all need treats! After all, I still get my orange chocolate chip scone once a week after walking with my friend......we can't give up everything!

I sure hope the sugar in fruits are ok, and I don't have that wrong! Think I'll go research that.......

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Steph,

Just checked this site about Nutrition, and we can have fruits.....so go for it. Prunes too, if you want!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited April 2012

Steph, try to get up every 45 minutes and walk around for the next 15 minutes, or find some other way to get some regular moving around time. It is OK if it is not a lot in the beginning, as long as it is fairly regular.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Momine, that's a great idea for all of us!

Janis, way to go on the weight loss! That's wonderful. Makes you want to continue doesn't it. What I love about this "proper eating style" is that it's pretty forgiving and even if some days we're not the greatest at our food choices it's simple to start again!

Sab, great for you too...continuing to loose during a major food holiday was tough for all of us, but we did it! And enjoyed our meals too.....Hurrah!

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Steph, I started using stevia as a sugar substitute.  It's plant derived and has a zero glycemic index.  I buy a brand (Sweetleaf) that doesn't have bad fillers...find it at the local supermarket health food section.  I put it in my coffee, sprinkle it on my strawberries when they need it, etc.

It is also my understanding that the fructose in fruit absorbs differently than refined sugar, and that the fiber in the fruit itself helps to mitigate the effects.  (I'm not a nutritionist but I play one on this post Wink)

When I am craving chocolate real bad (and I do especially at night) I either: make myself a cup of decaf with a splash of evaporated milk and a quarter of a dropper of chocolate flavored stevia extract.  About 40 calories from the milk but it tastes like a yummy mocha, or: 1/4 bar of Trader Joes 72% dark chocolate 70 calories, or:  BOTH if I've been a real good girl and have the room in my calories count...110 calories total.