Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited April 2012

Great news Mostly Sew.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2012

I had aggravating news at my surgeon today. She had another surgeon there and they decided I should not get surgery to replace the implant for months. OMG I don't have months. I am alone now, and I was hoping I would feel good enough to go out and look for Mr. Right after the surgery, and now I will have to wait months. I am lonely and months seem like years.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2012

Oh, Kate, I'm sorry for the news for you, but I'm not really surprised. Your body has been thru so Much this past year with all the surgeries not to mention the cancer, that waiting seems a good plan to me. After all, you sure don't want to end up in the hospital again with your body rejecting this implant. I know the explanation doesn't help, and you're disappointed and I don't blame you. I do truely believe Mr Right is out there for you and he isn't going to care about this delay. He is going to love you for you.....NOT what you look like. So....go live your life happily, volunteer, cultivate interests, study something new and I bet he finds you.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Hi Mostly Sew, thank you so much for your support. I am depressed tonight and your support is making me feel better. I know the right Mr. Right will love me for me, but as a girly girl as I am, you like to look your best to find him. I have been out of the loop about living my life happily for the past 13 months. My life has been all about medical issues for that period of time. It also has been depressing going through this all alone, without a signifigant other. You are right I will have to pull myself up by the bootstraps and try something new.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2012
    Hi to my friend here....
    I've been away from posting for a week!  Just so busy at work subbing in for my colleague who had a tragic loss in his family....plus my own job and doing taxes....good to be back - but it took awhile to catch up on your posts.
    Kate, I do not think I realized that you are alone at this time in your life.  It is hard to be going through all this...I remember that I had to try not to look too far ahead - just deal with things as they present themselves.  Sorry to hear that your recovery may take longer.
    MostlySew - Congratulations on your clear report!!!!!  Let's party - out of the pockets, everyone!
    Last week I mentioned using self tanner - I meant cream, not a tanning bed....and SAB, you gave good advice to read labels and get informed.  Thanks.
    Steph, you described the muscle tightness perfectly. I too am going through changes very similar to yours. I also had very low D and am on the 8 week megadose.
    GiGi, I don't seem to have much coloration beneath, and my tatoos are still there...I had skin peel on the nipple, and it is till very pale.
    OK - time to wish you all a good night.
    Joan
  • stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2012

Juliana, so sorry that you're having pain.  I do still have pain (I had surgery in July and Aug) It comes and goes.  Sometimes no pain at all.  Sometimes several days of pain in a row.  It's very strange.

MostlySew, so glad you got a good report!

Kate, very sorry you are having to wait longer, but hope that your doctors are giving you the best chance for a successful reconstruction.

GiGi, I recently changed migraine meds and it made a huge difference.  I was sure I had tried this one, but there was some literature out there that people who took propanolol had some additional protection against recurrence, so since I was already taking a blood pressure med for migraines, I had them switch me to that one.  It really helped. 

Janis, one of my pups has a bum leg.  She has had knee surgery once and has arthritis on that side.  Last week she got down in her back and had to go in for IV meds for the day and she's on a month of prednisone.  She's only seven, but she's my baby girl.  It's amazing how they become part of the family.

Oh, a weight report.  I haven't lost any. I've gained weight since radiation.  I'm trying to figure out how to eat to feel good and lose weight but so far haven't hit on it.  I want some of Janis's brownies.

Steph 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2012

MostlySew, So happy for you. Enjoy the chocolate. You have earned it.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Joan glad to see you back, and thank you for your support. Stephn I always appreciate your support.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2012

kate, it sounds like your doctors are being cautious, and that's good because you've been through enough!  Hopefully, when they finally give the green light it will go smoother and you will recover faster!

Surgeon tomorrow for a follow-up. I like him, but the gowns they give you are SO annoying.  Ratty and fit oddly.  Hard to maintain dignity and have a serious conversation while clutching a shmatta (rag) around you! 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Hi Sab, I hate shmatta's too. My surgeon has nice white robes. I am depressed about the delay. One reason is that I need 2 surgeries. One to replace the implant and a second surgery to lower my radiated nipple. Breast reconstruction has turned out to be a nightmare for me. After two lumpectomy's my cancerous breast was slightly smaller than my other breast. I decided on implants. The implants were too big and I had them removed for smaller implants and breast lifts After the lift the radiated breast is higher than my other breast. Then I got the breast implant infection and had to get the implant removed. Now I am a mess having to wear a prothesis till I can get the implant replaced. They are now talking about more serious surgery to correct this. Flap surgery with a tummy tuck. Has anyone had this or known someone who has? They are also considering tissue expansion. Has anyone had this or know someone who has? 

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2012

I am having a vaginal biopsy today.  it was sprung on me at the last minute yesterday by my obgyn.  I am having my ovaries removed on May 1st and have also asked for a D&C since I will not have the uterus removed.  She wants to check for any cancer cells in the uterus prior to surgery and if any found then I can have total hysterectomy if need be.  I can relate and sounds like a good plan.  Don't want to have further surgery after-the-fact.  She wants me to take 800mg of Motrin prior to procedure.  I can't take this med because I have an unusual bleeding problem after my biopsies and surgeries.  I have been tested and re-tested and everything is negative to any blood disorders.  I'm not going to take a blood thinner but don't know how to get through pain during and after.  I have hydrocodone but not sure if the right pain med.  Will I be numbed before they snip/suck the samples out?  OMG if I start to bleed profusely.  Yikes, I know I was not comfortable with the breast biopsies, but this is a whole new ball park. I'm a very strong willed person and will tolerate the pain (to an extent) but I fret over the bleeding part of these procedures.  And to make matters worse, I need to go back to work after.........hope to cope.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2012

Sew...I am so happy you made it through and everything look so good!  That is wonderful!  Another scary milestone behind you!  Oh, just a couple brownies left!  :)

Gigil...I hope those migraines stay far away.  That sounds terrible.

Kate...keep us posted on your upcoming surgery!

My appointment for my prolapse is this morning at 8:30.  I am already a nervous wreck!!! 

Sab.....It is good to meet another dog lover.  Mine are like kids...so when one comes up with even the slightest problem, I go into full panic mode! 

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Doesn't it seem like all these procedures come in waves?  Janis, sending positive thoughts your way...I hope your appt. goes well.  King, it sounds like your concerns are very valid, and just the kind of thing you should discuss with your docs.  There are so many good tools for pain management...I hope they have one that is safe and effective for you.  Better yet, I hope there is much less discomfort than you expect! kate, I have followed your difficult journey, but seeing it all laid out like that I just want to congratulate you on how positive you've remained. I know there are reconstruction threads on the board and experienced ladies who can help. 

Off to the BS for some BS. I'll be discussing the poor way that my back pain has been approached by the med group and asking him for some advice. 

• stephN
    edited April 2012

kingjr, I had the biopsy of my uterus without any pain meds at all.  They did it prior to my ooph/hyster to make sure that the stuff growing up there wasn't cancerous (which it wasn't).  It was uncomfortable when they did it, but I had very little pain after.  Some minor cramping, but that's all.  For someone who has been through waht we've been through, it was a piece of cake.  I hope that makes you feel better! 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2012

kingjr66, I will be thinking about you during your biopsy today and wishing you the best of luck. Sending hugs to you.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

kingjr66 thinking of you and hope all goes well.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Sab thanks so much for your support you always make me feel good.

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2012

thank you all for your thoughts.  I am back.  It did hurt real bad but the cramping is not that bad right now.  I did take some pain med but did not need that much.  At least with breast biopsies they can numb you first.  Well, the waiting begins.  hope to have results within a day or two

Kate - thanks for the well wishes and I hope all goes well for you.  I have to tend to agree with the docs on the waiting a little more.  You have gone through alot these past few months (as we all have) and maybe a little more piece of mind is not too bad to consider.  Rest up, you'll need more strength when the time comes.

Steph - that's exactly why I had the biopsy.  Since I'm not going for the hysterectomy, she wants to make sure there are no cancer cells prior.  If so, then I can go for the whole procedure the day of the surgery.  Here's hoping for B9 results.

Janis - my thoughts are with you.

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Hi everyone,

I am having surgery on Monday.  This Monday!  Apparently there are several things that require repair.  I am waiting right now for the pre-op nurse to call with my surgery schedule.  It is automatic overnight stay, and possibly two.  I am betting on one.  I am always really motivated to get out of the hospital!!

Thanks so much for all the support.  It has been so appreciated!!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2012
    King,
    I too had a biopsy and I remember yelling at the doctor that it was hurting and to hurry up.
    I had forgotten all about that.  Now I take xanax before any procedure.
    Glad that part is over for you....am sending positive thoughts and prayers for negative results.
    Joan
  • katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Janis sorry that you require surgery. King thank you for your support.

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Thanks Kate.  It is necessary but of course not something I am looking forward to! 

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Good heavens, I go away for a day, and look at all the news! King, I'm so glad your ugly procedure is over. The rest will be hard, but you'll have meds for those. Isn't Tylenol a non blood thinning pain reliever? I forget.

Janis, I'm so glad your date is for Monday. Waiting is difficult so getting it done will be good.....8 years is long enough. And don't push it getting out of hospital too soon....you'll go home and rearrange the furniture or can 5 lugs of peaches or something you shouldn't be doing.....=D

Kate, I think you should check on some of the boards for those procedures. I agree they sound scary, but expect they're not in the long run.

Sab, did the surgeon have any good ideas about how to help your back pain? I hope so.

I feel like I'm finally on the the way to the rest of my life with this mammo out of the way. What a good feeling.

Have a good evening everyone

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Hi Mostlysew, thank you for your support. I am so glad you are feeling good. I am trying to plan a trip in June to see my children and grandchildren in Northbrook, il. One of my granddaughters is away at school and another is leaving for camp June 17 for 8 weeks, so I hope I can find a date in June that is good for their schedules. I need a change of scenery, and most of all need to be with my family, so I hope this works out.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

A trip sounds like a great idea, Kate. And yes, you definitely need to see your kids and grandkids, it will feel wonderful. Do you use Skype with them? That might also be something to look in to just to feel closer. I like the idea of getting out of town for awhile though.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Thanks again for your support Sew. I don't Skype because I don't know how to set up myMicrosoft lifecam.

• SAB
    edited April 2012

janis-that was quick!  On the bright side at least you don't have to stress for weeks waiting for surgery.  I hope it all goes easy for you.

mostly sew-I was complaining to the surgeon about how my "team" handled my back issues.  I just edited out all the boring details, but suffice to say they were sloppy. He was very helpful in setting some guidelines and measures.

Who asked about a blackened "beauty mark" on the breast?  BS was not worried today.  Confirmed that it was very likely a lingering effect of radiation and would eventually peel and return to normal.  

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Kate, can you call someone? Pay for help on the cam? I don't think it would cost very much, and I think the benefit would be untold for you, provided your family has the service at their end. It'd give you a reason to get dressed up each day, if you could talk with them in person. They'd probably feel better too knowing they could see your smiling face! I believe it's free too, or at least very cheap. Do I sound like an add or what?

Sab, good to know the surgeon could help with guidelines etc. Don't ya just love it when there's a plan in place? Good to know about your blackened beauty mark also. I have a non-important mole on my non-cancer breast and yesterday for the first time the tech put a bandaid marker around it before my mammo

• stephN
    edited April 2012

SAB, I went back to see if I could find where you talked about your back pain but I couldn't.  My 18 yr old has a fracture in his spine and just had a radio-frequency ablation in the nerve which was causing his pain.  We're not certain it worked yet because it takes some time for the nerve to die, but it can give up to a year of pain relief.  I have found with him that going to the expert is worthwhile.  We messed around for months with doctors around our local area and finally went to a sports medicine doctor a few hours away who knew exactly what to do.  He is a pain management expert.  

I don't know if that even relates to what you are going through, but since we were dealing with back pain too, I thought I would mention it!

I'm so tired all the time.  I guess it's the Femara.  Anyone else dealing with fatigue?  I promised myself I wouldn't complain about taking this drug, but I'm ready to quit now between the joint pain and the fatigue.  I think if it was one or the other I could handle it.  Cancer is the gift that just keeps on giving... 

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Steph, thank you for your post.  Oddly, I had a fractured spine when I was a teenager too, but I don't know if it has anything to do with my current pain.  I hope your son's treatment works--it sounds innovative, and your doc sounds like a good find.

I have had lower back pain for years...but I now have mid back pain, which we all know can spell trouble.  I'm (hopefully) just being a hypochondriac! Anyway, I had all kinds of tests ordered, and an appt. with a "physical doctor" but after my tumor markers came back low (yay for that) the tests got canceled, then the MRI I had did not image the affected mid-back area (just the lower) and my meeting with that doc was, well, useless. Since I have an enormous deductible, I paid $2500 out of pocket to learn I had disc issues, a fact I well knew. I was in that machine already, and even talked to the tech before the procedure about my mid-back pain!  I am just angry that they missed an opportunity to give me some definitive information.  Now the MO wants more blood work and an MRI in 6 months, and it ticks me off.  I went in specifically for mid-back pain. They messed up, but I have to pay.  What business operates like that, other than health care?

Thank you for letting me rant...

Steph, for fatigue I had my thyroid meds adjusted and that helped.