Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2012

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the encouragement Kate and Sab...Funny thing is, on Friday, I'd LOST a pound!  Ah well, it will come off again.

Sab, wow!  LE sessions are so important, but that billing is amazing.  That rate seems at least as high as my surgeon or Radiation Oncologist rates, although they don't bill for a full hour.  Hopefully you'll be able to learn the techniques yourself quickly.  WAY to GO girl, on the weight loss  Smile Soon you'll be light enough to blow away in a strong wind, which is fabulous!  Keep it up

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2012

You ladies are impressive! Even 1/2 pound a week is great as 1/2 up to 1 pound (or, at most 2-1/2  pounds) a week is the permanent way to go!!

I won't get on the scale when my digestion is stalled or if I ate anything salty. And both going on again. Fish oil has helped. But seeing my Chinese medicine guy on Thursday and hopefully some answers on this sluggish system.

Oh, and girls, my birthday is on the way!!!   

(Above link: I've started a new thread just for us girls to celebrate our Birthdays! As We Should!)

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012
    Oh Boy, Truebff,  birthdays mean Parties.  I LOVE parties.  Will you be queen for a day?  Oh, and BTW, treats don't count on your birthday!  Happy Pre-Birthday........
  • justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2012

truebuff...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!  Enjoy the rest of your day!!!

Laughing

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2012
    Happy birthday truebff!  And thanks everyone for the nice words. I agree with bff...weight varies so much for even the smallest reason that we all have to step back and look at the big picture. Janis, I keep these boxed organic soups in the pantry for emergencies, they stay well and I always have a "go to" even if I don't have veggies or fruit in the house.  I think any lowfat soup would do, but I like the Imagine brand creamy tomato (even though there is no cream in it.)  It is about 80 calories a cup and I add a handful of Kashi pita crackers and I'm good to go at about 200 calories for lunch.  The soups run under $4 for a 4 cup box at Whole Foods (one of their few bargains :-))

• truebff
    edited April 2012

Thanks So Much!!!! MostlySew, justmejaniis, SAB!!!

The party is here: The Happy Birthday Thread!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2012

Happy Birthday, True BFF! Celebrate and Enjoy!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012
    Ok, Ladies, wish me luck.  Tomorrow is the big M day  Undecided….Mammo and Ultrasound that is!  I'm scared, resigned, emotional, fatalistic and positive all at once.  It is 1 month shy of 1 year from my fatal mammo, and 1 week shy of 6 months out of rads, but with the fat necrosis and seromas I developed 6 weeks out of rads they want to do it now.  Actually, they wanted the mammo in January after looking at my ultra sound,  but 6 weeks out was silly, so we've waited.  I expect I'll be fine, but I'm wearing big pockets just in case anyone want to jump in with me!
  • truebff
    edited April 2012

Mostly Sew, Healing thoughts and prayers your way!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Sew....I will be the first one in!  What time is your appointment?  I can get in early and get the snacks ready for the party.  Everyone tell me what you like.

Sew, I know how scary all this is.  You and I were disgnosed pretty close.  I don't have my first mammogram until June.  I am not sure how I feel about it.  I am sure i will be more anxious as the time gets closer.  For you....I KNOW it is all going to be nothing but good news!  So count me to be first in the pocket.  I won't be alone!  We'll be keeping an eye on you.  Just know we are there, sending lots of love your way.

Big healing hugs my friend!

Janis

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

I am thinking about you Mostlysew, and I know all will be well!

• julianna51
    julianna51 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2012

Hello all - Long time no see -  I haven't been on here in ages.  I'm hoping someone will have some experience with this (well, not hoping you do but...hoping for some insight) and I'm not exactly sure if this is the right thread to post but since I really believe what I am experiencing is a result of radiation...what better place.  Whew, that was a mouthful!

Anyway....I had a BMX 5/24/11 with TEs placed at that time.   I then found out I had to have radiaiton which was completed 9/23 and I breezed through with little or no SEs at that time.  I was always worried about complications the rads might make with my reconstruction and so I've switched from having implants to a DIEP surgery scheduled 6/12 (yea!)  Now, my issue I'm having is intermitent pain on my rads side along the scar line, especially where the drains were.  Everything is tightening up (feeling very lopsided at the moment).  I am also experiencing pain at my SNB scar and although it really hasn't opened up...it sometimes feels like it.  I have pain on the outside (towards armpit).   So, I'm not sure if I am truely experiencing capsular contraction or if it is something else.   I don't know which dr to go see...not too keen on going back to my BS and I've  switched PS so wondering if I should call the new one that will be doing my DIEP.  Or, if I should just go see my naturopath.

A very long message to just say I'm having pains and don't know what to do!  Ha, does anyone have any experience of this or know anyone that has.  Suggestions?

Thanks!!

Juls

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

julianna.....please have someone evaluate you for Lymphedema.  I had so many of your symptons and that is what mine turned out to be.  I had a lot of pain in the breast and underarm as well.  Turns out I have LE and it is treatable.  It can be a pain in the butt but it is manageable with proper massage and exercise techniques.  Does your breast/underarm area feel puffy or swollen?  How about your hands/arm/fingers on the BC side?  I have both Truncal LE and in my arm.  Ask your MO or someone about LE.  If it is LE you need to be evaluated by a qualifed LE therapist.

That would be my best suggestion!  Good luck! 

• julianna51
    edited April 2012

Thanks Janis - I do not have any puffiness or swelling in my hand/arm/fingers nor underarm.  I don't see a MO just because I'm not on any treatment plan (not needed).   Sigh.  I don't not want to believe this might be LE.

I do keep an eye out for anything that might indicate LE but don't feel that I've observed anything.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Hi Julianna,

I had a lumpectomy and rads and definitely have pains near my scar and on the SNB scar line.  I've actually got lumps...which all turns out to be the Fat necrosis and seromas I developed.  Seems to have been from the decrease in blood vessels in the breast, and these things show up.  They aren't always painful but sometimes are quite sharp.  There are 1 or 2 spots that always hurt if you press on them.  See my earlier post today, but my MO decided I needed an ultrasound just 6 weeks out of rads to see what was happening.  So, in your case, I think you should refer this to someone, and since you don't want to see the BS, then I suggest you talk with the PS.  They need to know this before your surgery anyway so start now.  Hopefully it's just part of the radiation experience.  I've found my breast has changed lots in just the past 3 months.  

Hi Janis, I'll be glad to have you on board tomorrow.  The appts are at 10 Pacific time.  I'm looking forward to sharing in the snacks.  Are you bringing a fabulous dessert? 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2012

MostlySew, I will be in your pocket tomorrow morning. Wishing you good luck and good results.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2012

I gained  .6 of a poind this past week.  Eating has been out of control.  Hubby recovering from surgery.  We ate pizza, home backed cookies - the works.  I was back on track yesterday,  and today has been good, but I am struggling a bit.  I had a visual migraine today and it threw me into a tail spin.  I was taking my sis to the eye doctor anyway to get an appointment for cataract surgery, so she, with her infinite charm got me an appointment following hers.  I have had my eyes dilated and looked into every which way.  Everything is healthy in there.  So why then am I having these things again?  I haven't had them for 20 years!!  Lots of stress lately with my husband's health challenges, etc.  Maybe that is it.  I do know they scare the heck out of me, and not after being diagnosed with bc, everything seems ominous.

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited April 2012

I am so off kilter with my weight loss.  I am so bloated and have been cheating.  I need someone to slap my hand and tell me no.....get your ass up and exercise.  The walking is not enough.  I need more discipline but my brain does not do anything to get me up and go. 

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

kingjr....I am really sorry but boy do I understand!  Cheating is normal under stress.  DO NOT beat yourself up, okay?  When you are ready it will come to you.  Hang in there.

GiGil.....you have had so much stress with everying going on!  You did a lot better than I did.  I think we just have to be patient, do what we can, and celebrate the small victories.

Sew I will be up and cooking long before then.  I have lots of time.  I can bake an almond/cream cheese pound cake.  It is really good.  I make killer chocolate chip cookies too.  I can do both.

• cupcakies
    cupcakies Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2012

Hi, does anyone know how long after radiation we can resume multivitamins, green tea, etc? 

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Janis,

Sounds Devine....bring it on! Oh, and the calories don't count when you're in someone's pocket!

Kingjr, you're not that long out of treatment, right? Just a month or so? Give yourself time, girl! Your body has been thru lots and lots. I wasn't able to face any kind of serious diet until 5 months out of rads, and I still backslide!

Gigil, same for you....you're under lots of added stress with hubby's surgery and that can bring on lots of stuff! I will say, as a thought though, that my husband used to suffer from terrible sinus/migraine headaches till they diagnosed his high blood pressure. Since taking those meds he hasn't had a problem. Any chance the stress is occasionally raising your BP? Glad you've had it checked thoroughly.

Cupcake...I started right after finishing rads. Just remember to keep moisturizing for at least 2 months after, but green tea and vitamins shouldn't hurt at this point.....unless you're taking strange ones and those you should check on, I guess. Glad you've joined us "on the other side"

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Sew I was good all day today.  Guess what I just made?  Brownies with cream cheese filling.  Oh great.  Oh wait...if I bring them to you pocket party tomorrow, the calories won't count, right?  Sadly the brownies currently cooling in the pan look kind of real!

I am having such a hard time.  My dog limps after I walk him.  Slight limp and probably due to age.  I lost two dogs to cancer and both presented with a limp.  I get nuts.  I need to get calm.  He is about seven (Murphy, in my avatar) and probably just a little arthritis.  The inner fear lingers though.  I am such a worry wart.  We took the dogs (we have two) for a decent walk today....1.3 miles.....so thinking it is just that.  Deep breaths, deep breaths.......I hate this.

• julianna51
    edited April 2012

Janis....about your dog....makes me wonder, my golden has been limping since January.  I've tried asprin and glucosamine and she still limps.   She still turns circles for her food and will run outside (kind of a lope) but your comment makes me worry about her.  She will be 12 this year and I know every moment with her is precious.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Janis, oh dear, poor Murphy. Hopefully it is just a bit of arthritis and perhaps the walks will help him. We all do so worry about our animal family. The brownies sound devine. Wonder how many wil be left in the pan by tomorrow. I know there wouldn't be very many in my house! Good for you for going on that walk! Keep it up........

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2012

GiGiL, I am sorry to hear about your visual migraines. My father used to have them so I know they are no fun at all. It is very stressful to have a sick husband, especially so soon after your own serious health issues. I hope both of you will feel better soon.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Elizabeth, glad you'll be along tomorrow, thanks

• SAB
    edited April 2012

I'm popping in tonight to pass out some hugs...

Mostly sew here's a hug for luck. I'm in on the party...but I'm not eating these days so I will lead the dancing!  We will try to stay still while you are being examined.

juliana a gentle hug for you--I still have weird little pains on the sentinel node scar.  My nurse friend tells me that it takes a while for the brachial nerve (I hope I got that right) to heal/regenerate.   

GiGiL I hope your migraines are past.  

king I can't give you the slap but I do have (you guessed it) a hug and a suggestion that maybe you could walk faster, longer or find more challenging terrain???

janis-I love my dogs so much, especially my senior dog.  He's my avatar too.  We think he's 13 years old. He limps and has growths and I comfort myself by admitting that I limp and have growths sometimes too!

Complaint for the day:  I spent 5+ hours of the day driving kids around, and the rest of the day cooking and eating things. Sigh.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Yippee.........Ok, I got thru my 1 year/6 months from rads Mammo and ultrasound today......with Flying Colors!~ Laughing don't have to go back for 6 months.  Apparently all looks stable including the seromas, fat necrosis, and edema that were identified in January.  Today was a milestone.  Glad they gave me the report right then and there instead of waiting for a Dr. to read the results and mail them out to me.  So,  I'm either headed for an afternoon in bed or a drink, can't decide which!

OOOOOH, I Know .....Chocolate!

Thanks for being there everyone.  It helps to know you have friends who understand the anxiety.  

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Congrats Mostlysew Hooray! So happy for you. I am going to my surgeon today to talk about my next surgery, replacing the implant.

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Great news mostly sew.  kate, good luck...I know you must be eager to get on the other side of these surgeries!