Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2012

Will be thinking of you tomorrow Janis

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2012

Janis, I'm joining the party tomorrow. I think we're all staying until you get home too. I for one promise not to snore or wiggle at night! I think I'll bring decadent breakfast scones and latte's. (melsmonte, a pocket party is where we all join in to support whoever is going to have a surgery or test or appt that they're worried about. Imaginary travel is always good for the soul, and from the pocket owners point of view, it's comforting to know you have all that support with you).

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2012

Kate, Sew, and everyone else....THANKS!!!!

I am so nervous and just want to get this over with you know?  Breakfast scones sound FABULOUS!!!!  Count me in Sew!  Perfect idea.  I like coffee, unfortunately with cream.  So no coffee for me tomorrow morning.  Thanks for sticking with me.  My husband is wonderful, but he hates hospitals and may not stick around a lot.  So it will be nice to have you beside me!

I have someone who will post an update for me sometime tomorrow.  If anyone is on FB and wants to friend me before morning, I am JanisVanover.  My hubby will post an update on FB as soon as I am out of surgery and he comes home to let the dogs out!

Thank you all for being in my pocket tomorrow!

Hugs and love,

Janis

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Great Janis. I know it'll go so smoothly for you and it'll be over before you know it. Be sure to take a sleeping pill tonight, that always helps.

If anyone is on Facebook, please post an update on here for those of us not on it....thanks...

Hugs,

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2012

Janis, I am keeping you in my prayers and in my heart.

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Thanks again, you are the best!

It is 3:00 AM and I am wide awake.  Tick, tock, tick, tock........Frown

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095
    edited April 2012

You don't know me Janis, but I've been reading here and am happy to keep you company while you are awake. It's only just after 7pm here and it's Monday night already here in Sydney :-)

Jenn

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Hi Jenn, nice of you to pop in and keep me company!  Wow, you are way across the pond.  I have always heard how beautiful Australia is.  How are you doing?  Are you done with rads yet?

• Jennt28
    edited April 2012

I am still in chemo... Rads will start in June. Australia is beautiful. I get to drive across the Sydney Harbour Bridge everyday on my way to work. I love that part of my journey...

Jenn

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

They start a new rads group every month so hopefully you can join the June group and journey through it together.  How are you feeling through chemo?  I hope you are having an easy time of it.  BC is quite the journey isn't it?  You will meet so many amazing woman on the way.  We'll all be here of course when rads time comes, if you need advice from us old seasoned veterans!  :) 

• Jennt28
    edited April 2012

Chemo is crap of course :-) Are you going to try and get back to sleep or have you given up on it for tonight? You know you won't get uninterrupted sleep today/tonight ;-). I will be watching here as I know someone will likely report back on your progress (and over in the 40-60 thread). Good luck - I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

Jenn

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

Oh I am up for good.  I am not a very good sleeper to begin with.  I know today will be a long day, but I will be fine.

I am so sorry about chemo.  I did not have to go through it so I have no idea what it is like.  I sure hope you are almost through.  It gets easier! 

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2012

Hi Jenn, I hope you're almost through with chemo too, and that radiation passes by in a snap for you.

Janis, thinking of you today. 

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2012

MelMontie, Welcome. I am so sorry you've been so thoroughly disabled by your treatment. Wow.

Your stories about your animals are awesome wonderful. I never heard that a turtle could smile. You have opened my understanding of animals wider. Thank you!

I hope you will talk with your doctor seriously about how impaired you are. Sometimes enough is enough.

I am four and a half months out from radiation and have *just* started to feel a tad better finally. With therapy, occupation therapy, and immune system building up all beginning to show the difference between flat-line and a little light in my step. Lord knows, we all need a little light.

I am thinking of you and sending you a little light too.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2012

Janis, I went back a couple of pages and can't find what you are going in for. But, regardless, I am in your pocket!!! Be well my friend!

• MelsMontie
    MelsMontie Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2012

thanks King, yeah, horses are my life passion. If I thought I could bring them in the house, I might. LOL, until then... my dogs are in the house. I have a papillon - spastic rip roaring little girl, and an old guy - Mikey. He is quiet.

My little party this morning went well. I struggled but got past it. My friends were wonderful. Now, I'll relax so I can make it to the appointment in the morning.

• MelsMontie
    MelsMontie Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2012

Truebff, yeah animals.... keep us on our toes. I hope I can go in tomorrow and accurately describe how I feel and what all goes on. exhaustion is.... exhausting. I'll have to really start early tomorrow. I have to be in Dr.'s office by 9 am, and I have a good 30 minute drive and horses to feed first.

I CAN'T KEEP MY EYES OPEN... one more time, I will try to nap... (praying my daughter doesn't come in and wake me for the 3rd time this afternoon.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited April 2012

Hi Ladies!  Janis asked me to give you all an update.  She is out of surgery and doing well.  She is hoping to get out of the hospital tomorrow.  If anyone would like to call her 208-463-5404.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2012

Baby steps MelsMontie!  You'll get there. I hope you'll take Truebff's advice and talk to your doc.  Maybe they can tweak your meds a bit?

May I share?  Six months ago I couldn't make it around our little local park. DH had to take my arm and get me back to the car. Yesterday DH and I hiked the state park, climbing to an observation deck and back- a challenging 6 mile hike.  I actually wept, I was so happy to see that view again.  It has been 3 years since I've been up there--it's a tough climb--but Sunday was the day my DD the elder (19) made it to 3 years clean and sober.  

Waiting to hear good news of Janis. 

• Elizabeth1889
    edited April 2012

Hi everyone, I just heard from Janis' husband on Facebook. Her surgery went well and she is in recovery now. Her doctor said she would be alert by around 5:30pm Eastern time. Let's hope she will be able to come home soon.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited April 2012

Sorry Jo, I did not see your message when I posted mine.

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Glad to hear about Janis...thank you Jo!

• SAB
    edited April 2012

And Elizabeth...

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Janis, I am so glad to hear good news YEAH!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Thanks Jo and Elizabeth for the update for Janis. Janis, great news that you're done, done, done! And doing well. So. Rest, relax and revel in your new repaired body.....

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Back to the mundane......my good news is that I've lost the 2 pounds I gained over Easter, and another pound! Whooooohooooo. I feel good too!

Sab, I'm so jazzed to hear about your ability to hike now. This getting back in shape is sooooo slow for me I despair of ever being able to take my old hikes again. But I keep trying.....and it's always good to hear that it works! Congrats to your daughter too. 3 years is a real milestone and she should be proud of her accomplishment. My daughter has been thru the same thing and even though she's now got over 10 years clean, she still needs to keep tabs on it.

Melsmonte, I'm glad to hear your party went well. See, even that's a small step forward. Be sure to let us know how the Dr. Appt went.

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Thank you Mostly Sew.  We've all been through so much, I didn't want to ignore the little triumphs in life Laughing.  I've been out of work for quite awhile now, but the silver lining of that problem is that I had time to work out almost every day. Then Sunday I pushed extra hard because I wanted to celebrate my girl's milestone. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been down the same road, but ten years is wonderful! These kids can teach us so much about staying steady towards a goal.  You'll be taking your old hikes again, especially with your weight loss (congratulations on 3 pounds, woohoo!) 

Personally, I had a measly weight loss of only .6 pounds, but at least it was in the right direction! I didn't weigh in after my hike...MyFitnessPal claims I burned 750 calories! So maybe better news next week!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Hi Sab,

I recommend NOT weighing in after a big hike, not even the next day or so. When I used to be able to do those occasional 6 mile hikes, and also was on weight watchers I'd think "Oh boy, I'm sure to have lost a pound". Instead I invariable gained a pound! I think it was my body worrying about starvation or something, and the weight loss wouldn't show up for several days. Good for you that you put your job loss to good use and managed to work out all thru treatment. I guess there really are silver linings........

Whooohoo on your .6 loss. That certainly deserves celebration...it's the right direction ....

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Sew I confess that I eat back most of my exercise calories (to net about 1200) so I'm not expecting a miracle!  But eating a little extra food is good motivation for exercise, and I really don't mind doing it slow. I try so hard not to weigh in more than once a week just for the reason you describe...the ups and downs of daily weight just don't mean that much.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Thinking about you Janis, and I hope all is ok. OMG I am so happy. I just booked my trip to Chicago to see my children and grandchildren June 13.