Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2012

Thanks ladies! I couldn't make it without all of you. It is so nice to have this place to come back to. Hoping you are doing well Janis. I am holding you in my thoughts and sending you healing energy.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2012

SAB, I use clorox on the walls of the shower when I have to, but use a mix of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide as a shower spray in between.  It works pretty good.  The best thing I've found is plain Dawn soap and a Magic Eraser.  It's incredible on soap scum.  Better than scrubbing bubbles.  

I've made an all purpose spray out of castile soap, alcohol and water.  I like the way it smells.  I've made one from vinegar too, but it's not safe on granite and it doesn't smell as good.  

I'm trying oxiclean in the toilet, but clorox just works better.

Overall, I don't have a problem with the natural cleaners.  I like them.  I think it's a matter of getting used to things not smelling the same and us realizing that the smell of bleach doesn't mean something is clean.  (Or maybe that's just me ;o)   

If I were going to buy cleansers, I would buy Seventh Generation, probably. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2012

stephN you are a regular chemist!!!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited April 2012

Thanks everyone for your support... If it helps any SAB I use steam to clean things with. It works really well but  I still have to drag out the bad stuff on occasion. I have also found that Zest soap does not leave soap scum as bad.  7th generation is a good brand. I use the dishwashing luiquid.....I just spoke with Janis and she is feeling a lot better. It just takes time I am sure....Hugs and Prayers...

• stephN
    edited May 2012

Janis, thinking about you, girl!  Hope your recovery is coming along!

Things are crazy here.  Getting ready for my oldest to graduate and taking foster care classes.  The DHR worker asked if I'd be willing to take newborn twins.  I was like...I think I better start with just one!

Hope y'all have a great week! 

• SAB
    edited May 2012

Wow Steph...a chemist AND a philanthropist.  You are amazing! You may be my new idol!

Do, did anyone weigh in this week?  I am happy to report another .8 pounds, but sad to report it wasn't any more than that.  Oh well!   

How is everyone? 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited May 2012

stephN, How wonderful of you to become a foster parent. I hope the experience will be rewarding for both and the children lucky enough to meet you.

• stephN
    edited May 2012

Haha, definitely not a chemist, just having a little fun with all those homemade recipes for stuff on pinterest.  It's cheaper and safer.  At least for the most part, I think.  

I like to cook now, too.  It's part of my problem with losing weight.  I've never been much of a cook, but after cancer, I decided I needed to learn since fast food and eating out was obviously not good for my body. So I started with some basics and have been teaching myself with the help of the internet.  The problem is that homemade food, especially when it's made with good ingredients, is really good.  And I like to eat.  It's not good for the scale.  Sigh.

I called my oncologist to ask about the letrozole today.  I can't stand the side effects.  I feel like I have the flu all the time.  The nurse asked me if I had pain meds.  Well, yes, but I can't live on pain meds all the time!

Anyway, I decided after cancer that I was going to make changes for the better in my life.  I had been a major workaholic.  So I made a list of things I've always wanted to do.  Foster parenting is one of them. Learning to really cook is another.  So there you go.  :)  I'm not working as much, but I'm definitely happier.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2012

Good morning everyone!

I am finally able to sit up comfortably with the aid of a 97 cent kiddie pool ring!  Oh it has been a long week.  DH got me a regular donut from Walgreen's.  It was $20 and felt like sitting on a rock!  I had him take it back and the kiddie ring works so much better.  Good thing it is spring and they were available.

Thank you all for the pocket party and all of the warm wishes.  Knowing you were all there really made this whole process much easier.  It was much worse than I thought (discomfort wise) and emotionally tough too.  My hospital stay was not pleasant.  They discharged me Tuesday afternoon and by the time we stopped for my pain meds, I was vomiting.  It was just awful.

Kate.....and others who may not know.  I had a vaginal hernia repair and repair of my bowel.  The doctor said my bowel was "a mess".  I am not sure what all was done down there, but I can tell you how much it hurt.  OMG.....I have vaginal incisions and bowel I presume.  I could feel them.  OUCH.  Also it was strange having to wear a Kotex pad 17 years after a total hysterectomy. 

I went home with a Foley catheter which I had removed last Thursday.  Trying to pee was horrible.  The nurse showed me how to cath myself and sent me home with catheters.  I was determined not to use them, and luckily I did not have to.  I spent a long time on the toilet willing myself to pee after drinking a ton of water.  LOL...seriously.....when I was able to go that first time I almost cried with relief! 

Sorry if that is so graphic.  Don't even want to go into trying to have a bowel movement LOL!  Lots and lots of prunes, fruit, and laxatives.  :)

I have missed you all and am interested in all that is going on.  Steph, it sounds like you have been super busy and so ambitious.  How wonderful you can foster!  I hope that goes well.  How rewarding!

I love all of the cleaning tips, especially natural ones.  I have two dogs and three cats and I clean a lot.  The biggest problem I have is the hair...despite lots of grooming (which we do outside) and vacuuming and sweeping, I can never seem to be rid of it!

I have to go get back and neck x-rays this afternoon and then go see a doctor aboutthose problems.  I am so done with doctors!  My PCP referred me some time back for pain management.  I will be curious to see how this goes.

Thanks again my friends for all your support!

Love and hugs,

Janis

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2012

Janis I am glad you are back, and sorry that you had a bad experience. I was very lucky to have a wonderful hospital stay. St. John's hospital where I was at is the hospital that Dick Clark died at. The celebrities in L. A. either go to Cedar's or St. John's. Janis I hope you take it easy and feel great soon.

• SAB
    edited May 2012

Janis it's good to hear from you.  I'm sorry for all you are enduring...I hope the worst of it is behind you (no pun intended!)  Gentle hugs to you.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2012

Hey Janis,

I'm glad you're well enough to join us again. I've been thinking about you. I can't believe you're now going to face more doctors, but getting the back/neck pain under control will be worth it I'm sure.

Sab, I dutifully did weigh in this week, but did t loose anything. At least, not by my Monday weigh in day! I spent two days in a rug hooking class with 9 friends, and we had.........GOODIES! I, of course sampled them all. Fortunately I had lost 1.5 pounds before the class started but have lost all forward momentum. Ah well, it's a new week. And, I'm not buying that your "worst is behind you" pun wasn't intended. It's priceless, although I expect Janis may not yet find much humor in it. She will soon though.

Steph, you go girl. I'm impressed with your drive to accomplish your goals. I'm impressed with the goals too. Twin newborns sound so cute, like kittens in the shelter. Makes sense to get your feet wet on a slightly less challenging task though. Be sure to keep us up to speed with who you get and how it's going.

I'm off to look into a "nutrition after cancer" class offered by the local center. Hope they address vegetarians.

Have a great, peaceful evening everyone...

• stephN
    edited May 2012

Mostly Sew, one of my kids is a vegetarian, so if you learn anything good, fill me in!  I try to make stuff for her and keep everyone else happy but it's hard.  Sometimes I make two versions of things, one with meat and one without.  Tonight, she had a mock curry chicken salad on a roll.  It was made with tofu instead of chicken.  It's one of her favorites.  :)

Gentle hugs, Janis...

I talked to my MO on the phone today.  I'm switching from letrozole to aromasin and hopefully that will help with the joint aches and fatigue.  If not, we will add celebrex to the mix or switch to tamoxifen in august.  I'm glad I called.  Sometimes I forget that things are not set in stone.

I'm wishing peace to you all as well... 

• SAB
    edited May 2012

Ha StephN, my two girls are vegetarians and I used to do the same thing (and what a pain to cook two dinners every night.)  Well, over the years they wore me down, and now it's been almost a year since we've had red meat in the house, though I sneak some organic chicken in once in a while and my DH eats fish.  (We also have the girls cooking.) Tonight we had sprouted bean salad and brown rice on romaine.  Yuck! I want to go rug hooking and eat goodies! Anyway, I'm glad that you are tweaking the meds, and I hope it helps!

Mostlysew, will look forward to hearing how the class goes. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited May 2012

Janis, welcome back.  it sounds like you have been put through the wringer!

Say my RO today.  He told me that now (6-9 months after radiation) is when I will start feeling changes in my breast tissue.  My breast was aching a bit the other day, and actually it was worrisome - I'm thinking "now what?" - but even though I am surprised at having changes so many months after radiation, it was comforting to know that this is normal.  

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2012

pat01, glad you mentioned this...I am about 5 months post rads, and am amazed at the pains and lumps and scar tissue...there is much more going on in there than I had imagined.  Somehow when it was so swollen during rads, I did not notice.  I started to "shrink" and that's when I became aware of all the weird sensations.  I am getting tightening near the SNB again...so I keep after it with massae and reaching.
    The other day I had to hold on to a high up pole on the subway; and I couldn't reach for so long.  I knew if I let go I'd go flying....so I'd take little breaks....was so surprised at how weak I am!!
    Hope this gets better.
    Janis, thinking of you often and hoping your healing is progressing as hoped - or even better.
    HUGS,

Joan

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2012

Janis, so glad you are back and on the road to recovery.  Your experiences with "sitting" remind me of the early days of having babies when I had tons of stitches.  I'm sure you were hurting in many more places though.  Every day will get better.  My DH just had a procedure on his prostate, and we have been using that mantra each day.  Each day is getting better.  I won't even give you the description of what he said it felt like to try to urinate after that.  Just know there was some mention of a lit sparkler.  LOL

Steph, I admire your dedication to the foster parent program.  I would do the same, if I were about 10 years younger.  I have six grandkids, and it is all I can do to be there for them these days.

SAB, I try to eat vegetarian often.  I do love organic chicken too.  The flavor is amazing compared to the other kind.  We have walleye pike here too, and they are wonderful.  I try to have it at least once a week.

I had my first follow up with my MO on Friday.  I was petrified.  She was so gentle and reassuring.  I felt like a major weight had been lifted from my shoulders on my way home after that appointment.  I have never had a doctor with such a gentle touch and soothing demeanor.  I feel very luck to have her.  She has been in the business for lots of years, so she has lots of exprience with what to look for and expect.  One step at a time, right?

Kate, do you take your trip soon.   

• katehudson25
    edited May 2012

Hi Gigil, I hope your hubby feels better soon. So glad you found a caring doctor. I go on my trip 6 weeks from today, and I can't wait. When I come home I have to start thinking about surgery. Today my doctor suggested  latissimus flap surgery. I am going to consult with a couple of more doctors to see if that is the best way for me to go.

• joan811
    edited May 2012

Kate...more decisions!  You have been through so much....Let's hope this will be the procedure that works for you. 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2012

Hi Joan, Thank you so much for your support. I truly appreciate it.

• stephN
    edited May 2012

I have to go back to the RO soon, too.  We're all on such a similar schedule!  It's so funny, I saw him outside the office the other day.  He asked me didn't I miss my friends at the cancer center.  I was like, RIGHT.  Of course I'd just love to come back and revisit the WORST time of my life.  Haha!

We do eat meat still, at least the ones of us who aren't vegetarian, but I've switched to all grass-fed, free-range, organic, local when I can find it.  And you are right, GiGi, the taste is very different.  And delicious!   

Oh, Kate, I know you are getting excited about your trip!  May is such a busy month.  I bet it will fly by!

We are getting ready for my son's graduation.  He had an interview for a scholarship yesterday.  He was one of two called back, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.  Any little bit would help!

Love you ladies, and praying for you, Janis! And for GiGi's hubby too. 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2012

Steoh N I will keep my fingers crossed too and hope your son gets the scholarship. Congratulations enjoy your sons graduation.

• SAB
    edited May 2012

Good luck to your son Steph!  I have one in college and one getting close and every little bit surely does help!

• joan811
    edited May 2012
    Steph, I love to hear about milestones....so glad to hear your son is graduating.  These are the events that remind us of the good things we have...I hope he can get some scholarship help for his future plans. 
    My grandson who I raised since 1-1/2 is graduating college next week end.  I can't believe it.  It went so fast.  We celebrated his 22nd BD at a Yankee game Saturday...what a great day.
    I've had 5 college kids plus my grandson makes 6.  It's been quite a long haul...can't say how many mini-fridges we've moved up narrow stairs....
    I just love normal things....more than ever.
    Hugs to all for a great week end.
    Joan
  • kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited May 2012

Janis - I can sorta relate.  I am post (3 days now) ovary removal and had a catheter as well.  I was also elated when I could urinate on my own and sat there and willed it to happen.  did the same for bowel cuz was not sure that was going to start back up on it's own.  Hang in there. 

• MostlySew
    edited May 2012

Kingjr,

I sure hope you're feeling better after this latest surgery. My goodness you've been thru lots in these last few months. Hope you're treating yourself to lots of decadent treats, whatever they may be!

Janis, same for you, my friend. Hope you're doing better and better

• katehudson25
    edited May 2012

Kingjr66 I hope you feel better soon. Hugs!!!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2012

King....you have been through a lot and I sure hope you are feeling much better.  Those catheters are just awful.  There was no way I was going to cath myself so I finally did go on my own.  It was not easy that first time as you know!

GiGil.....I hope your husband is doing much better.  I feel his pain, unfortunately.  Actually that part is fine now.  I went back for my first post-op check Thursday.  I told the doctor I feel like I gave vaginal birth to a 20 pounder, plus someone took a sledge hammer to my tailbone!  He laughed and said that pretty much is how I should feel.  LOL.  He said I was just ten days post op and I will need a good 6 weeks to recover.  Okay fine.  Still wearing a thin maxi pad as I have some drainage.  It is so odd since I don't even have a uterus!  Had a total hysterectomy in 1996.  That just feels wrong!  :)

Joan......we are all so close in terms of how far out of rads we are, etc.  I understand the strangeness of this recovery.  My SNB scar is not bothering me much, but the original lumpectomy site swells often.  Part of that, or most, is from the LE I assume.  I hope you feel stronger every day!  I think it is awesome that all of your children are college graduates, and now your grandson.  Congratulations!

Steph how awesome your son is graduating and had may get a scholarship.  You must be so proud of him.  I remember all of the festivities leading up to my sons graduating both high school and then college.  So much fun.  Enjoy this very special time.

Kate.....I know you are counting the days until your trip.  How exciting.  How long are you going to be there?  I bet your daughters and grandkids are counting the days as well!

Sew....hi!  How are you doing?  Are you working on a special project now?  I know what a talented lady you are.  My mom was amazing....could she sew and knit beautifully.  Somehow that gene escaped me!  I hope you are enjoying the beautiful weekend my friend.

Love and hugs all round.  I thank you all for your support, always.  You have no idea how rough this recovery has been.  I find so much love here.  It helps more than you know.  You ladies are the best!  :)

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited May 2012

Sab and Mostlysew, wow on your daughters' recoveries. My own adult daughter is struggling and hard.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2012

Truebff, yes, it's very hard to be a parent during rehab....tough love is as tough on us as it is on them. Good luck to your daughter, and it's so wonderful that she's tackling this beast. Hugs to you.....