Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2012

So happy for you kate. There is nothing like family to cheer someone up.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2012

Thank you Elizabeth. Family is everything to me. I am so excited. I need to dish out and feel the love in return.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2012

That's wonderful kate!  It will be June in the blink of an eye!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2012

Hi all,
    It finally stopped raining....what a storm.
    It is so cold here now.  I spent all week end inside working on a book for work....deadline was 2 weeks ago; now end of April.  Like Friday.  My co-author had a tragedy, and he just came back...we are so far behind.  It will get done.
    What great news about Janis.  It got a little crowded in the pocket, but I managed to get some crumbs....wow I cannot wait to get to SFO now that sourdough bread was mentioned.....
    SAB - climbing that trail is so great.....when we look back to where we've been, it's awesome to be able to get out there and accomplish things again. 
    I climbed a small mountain Friday and then up a tall tower....I had a really hard time at the top...but I took my time.  So glad I did it.
    Nice to have Jenn from Australia on the thread...that means that there will always be someone to talk with round the clock.
    Gentle hugs for Janis....safe home and let the healing begin...So glad it's behind you.
    Joan

PS - Kate - yes, the time goes so fast....your trip will be here before you know it.
    I can hardly believe I'll be traveling in less than a month. 
    We're going hiking in Yosemite.....I had better start doing some walking here....

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2012

Hey Janis,

How ya doing this morning my friend?  The party last night was quite reasonable....only several botles of wine amongst all of us, so no carousing went on.  Sleeping room was difficult to find, but everyone brought their own pillow, so no problems there.  I'm making vege fritata with cream and feta cheese for breakfast for all of us.  Yummmmmmm.  Hope you're home soon.....Smile

Joan, Yosemite....I'm jealous.  It will be absolutely georgeous.  We've recently gotten a bit of rain, so things will be green on your drive up.  What a wonderful place to take a vacation.  Glad you're doing it AFTER the book is done.  Hope all is going well....

Kate, How fun to have the actual date set, seeing your family will be wonderful.

Oops, fritata is done...and you East Coasters can have it for lunch...... Jenn...guess you'll be having it for dinner?  Tomorrow?  (these time zones confuse meWink)

Laughing

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Thank you Sab, Joan and Sew. I am so looking forward to my trip. Janis I hope you are doing fine this morning

• MelsMontie
    MelsMontie Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2012

Great Kate, that is something to really look forward to.

I did go to the doctor this morning. I was late. But she was very nice - taking notes like crazy to get to know me... I cried a bit, but I guess that is why I am going. She wants my thyroid dr. appt. as soon as possible. There is no normal for my thyroid.. it is up it is down... it is all over the map. I cried while she listed things - she wanted to know if I had always had, or at least gone through 2 weeks of constant problems with.... each and every one of those listed, I would have to nod yes to. I am depressed from head to toe.

I wish I could hike. I have 5 screws in my left ankle that tell me, hiking is out of the question... short easy walks maybe.... like walking down my driveway today to get mail and find dog. We have an acre and a half up front - my driveway runs down... so... it is a little bit of a walk. Here I go with the continuous yawning. yawn yawn yawn. I could close my eyes and sleep. 3:55 in the afternoon. I gotta get up and go start taking care of horses.

I will be seeing my doctor weekly for a while..

• MelsMontie
    MelsMontie Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2012

Does anybody else have that problem since radiation? yawns, constant yawns?

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Hi Mel's,

I think it's great that your Dr. Has you coming in weekly. It's time for you to feel better. I too do lots of yawning, sometimes in the morning, often in the afternoon. I do read and take a short nap in the afternoon. My biggest problem was that I wasn't sleeping at night and that really made me emotional and unreasonably tired during the day. I've changed to taking my Arimidex in the morning and that has helped the sleeping at night issue. And, if I still have sleepless nights I take half a sleeping pill which I hate to rely on, but it's better than being a wreck.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited April 2012

Hello Ladies, I have been lurking on this thread for a bit. I finished rads just 3 weeks ago, So I have been following the conversations here with interest, because I thought I "should" be better by now. I run into people when I am out at the dog park or PT appts and they say how "good" I look. I want to tell them I feel like crap, I have no energy, no brain and am sad most of the time.But I nod my head and say I'm ok.

I got talked into signing up for a Look Good, Feel Better program that the Am Cancer society is putting on for women tomorrow night. Now I am dreading it. I am usually a very outgoing person and have been involved in my community on many different levels. But this dx has thrown me for a loop.

I am seeing a MH therapist 2x a week, and I am going to OT 2x a week so I am getting help. But all I really want to do is sleep. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2012

Janis, so glad to hear you are doing well.  Praying for your speedy recovery and regaining of your energy.  I gained back .6 of a lb. and then lost 1.5, so it is up and down.  Exercise causes us to retain fluid in our muscles for awhile, and it looks like weight gain, but it isn't.  My husband and I used to run a weight loss clinic, and it always went that way when one of our patients would start a big exercise push.  It was difficult to convince them that it wasn't real weight gain.  The comment would always be, "I am exercising and now I am gaining weight?"   It was a tough situation.  Kate, so glad you are taking a trip to be with your loved ones.  

SAB I felt your triumph and I am so excited for you.  I passed a bit of a milestone on Monday.  I had to take a long walk with my second son in the downtown skyway.  He is a fast walker and we had to walk a good distance.  I was fearful that I wouldn't be able to keep up and might fall by the wayside, winded and anxious.  Not the case.  I kept right up with him, and after walking almost two miles, I was not even winded.  That is progress for both of us.

It is also wonderful to see our children find serenity and clarity in life.  It makes it easier for us to heal and be in a good place emotionally.  My oldest son has been sober for 13 months now, and he is doing very well too.  Hooray for those victories.

Janis, looking forward to hearing from you. 

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Macatacmv,

You've only been out of active treatment 3 weeks.....you must give yourself time. Your body has been thru lots, not to mention just the stress of all this. I am not at all surprised at your need to "cocoon". I also found that my friends just don't understand the toll all this takes. They think that if you don't look like the wrath of God then you must be fine. It's great that you're getting the medical help to address these issues, but also please don't push yourself too hard. Allow your body time to heal......that's my advice and I'm sticking to it!

• macatacmv
    edited April 2012

Sew, thanks for the advice. I know I have been pushing myself. I am not sure why it is so hard to give myself permission to rest. But after reading about other's experiences on here I will take it more slowly.  

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Hi Macatacmv,

I think we push ourselves because we want this all behind us.....immediately, if not sooner. The trick right now is to let yourself have time to heal, respect your body and give yourself treats .....often! A hair cut, a walk in the park, a cookie for breakfast, a nap whenever you feel like it. Can you tell I've finally become good at that?

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2012

Macatacmv, congrats on getting through with rads!  I'm with the other ladies...you do have to give yourself time to heal.  You will feel better and it will be a delight!

Melsmontie, so glad you got to your doctor.  It's good to have someone to talk about everything with.

SAB, congrats on your long walk.  Gigi, you're doing great, too!  You girls are doing fantastic!  

MostlySew, it's good to hear that you've gotten the meds timing figured out.  I might try taking mine in the morning and see if it makes a difference in how tired I am during the day.  I'm know not sleeping great is adding to my being so fatigued during the day.

Janis, your pocket is really fun, but I know you're ready to get home.  Hope you are feeling okay and getting some good pain relief. 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited April 2012

Getting the right balance is tricky. I switched my aromasin to right after lunch. I seem to sleep better at night . Each of us is different. I still have a lump from rads and can't wear a bra. Thank G-d for camisoles. Trying to walk and exercise alittle each day.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Ptdreamers, bras aren't even in my vocabulary! Summer, however, may make me rethink that...LOL

• SAB
    edited April 2012

melsmontie-I had to laugh as I woke up from a short nap today and read your yawning post! Yes, I am still tired...I find that even the briefest of naps goes a very long way to help, especially since evening is a busy time for me. As an aside, has anyone heard of the sit and be fit program?  I think it is a chair workout! With pins in your ankle it might be a good alternative.

macatack, give yourself a break! Three weeks out I was a big hot mess.  You will feel better as time goes by. Each of us are moving at our own pace.

GiGiL, I think we have to embrace each of these small triumphs as we recover.  It is part of us taking back what we (temporarily) lost.  I think your statement about serenity and clarity was beautifully put. And two brisk miles is fantastic!  

• Elizabeth1889
    edited April 2012

GiGiL, It is always good to hear from you. I am glad that you have victories to celebrate. You deserve good things in your life.

• macatacmv
    edited April 2012

I had no idea I was so talented at sleeping. I move from the bed, to the couch, to a chair, back to bed. 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

I second what you said about Gigil, Elizabeth. It is always great to hear from her. She is always so positive and giving. I am glad you are doing well too Gigil.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited April 2012

Hi everyoone, I talked to Janis a few hours ago. She is home from the hospital now. She is feeling uncomfortable and there are some complications, but she is calling her doctor today.  Before too long, she will be fine.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited April 2012

Hi all. I know I have been incognito for awhile. Had a lot going on and thought a break from BCO would help. Not true. I still need you all. I can't do this alone. I have been reading to catch up on everything. Wow everyone has gone through so much.Good and bad.  I just talked to Janis too. She sounds great but is extremely sore. Nothing can keep her down for long.  She will be fine. I for one miss her encouraging words alot. Feel better soon Janis your in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs and I hope everyone is doing ok....

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

Good to hear from you again IRW. Did I miss something? What type of surgery did Janis have? I hope she is feeling better.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Irw, welcome back. Good to hear from you again.

Thanks also Elizabeth and Irw for reporting on Janis. I've been thinking about her all day.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2012
    If there is one thing I've learned, everyone's progress is relative to yesterday....one step at a time gets us on our way....
    MSew, you surely hit it right when you said
    "I think we push ourselves because we want this all behind us.....immediately, if not sooner."

When I look back at the ridiculous demands I made on myself, I realize that I just wanted that part of my life to be over or in the shadows where it couldn't run my life.
    I've had to do some of those recovery steps more than once.....but overall, I had it pretty easy. 
    Here's wishing a better year ahead, more energy, and less pain.
    Janis, if you're listening in, you are missed and thought of every day.
    Joan
  • MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Joan, well said. And I second the wish.....

• Elizabeth1889
    edited April 2012

Irw, We missed you! I am glad that you are back here.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2012

lrw, I'm glad you're back too.  An glad you got to talk to Janis.  

Janis, honey, hope you're on your way to feeling better.  Take it easy on yourself and don't expect to bounce right back.  I expected my hysterectomy to be a breeze, but after going through so much already this year, it took me a little longer to recover, but I got there!  You will too!  And you will feel so much better!

To more energy and less pain!  Cheers...

• SAB
    edited April 2012

You know, I'm cleaning my bathroom (yuck, yuck and double yuck) and still using caustic cleaners.  I was wondering if anyone out there has found an effective cleaner/line of cleaners that is more natural  and healthier to use (Other than vinegar?)