Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2012

Joan, sending big comforting hugs your way.  I am sorry everything was so frazzled and you are dealing with yet more SE's.  I hate feeling overwhelmed or on the verge of tears.  Ugh!  Sometimes I yearn to just be alone so I can let my feelings fall out however they decide to present!  I know how much your work means to you and hope you can at least find some solace returning.  Hoping mostly today is a bit better for you.  :)

I knew I was doing a bit too much yesterday as I did odds and ends.  I washed some dishes and trimmed my roses, hand watered some flowers, did laundry and wiped off counters and appliances.  We went to the grocery store and later to Wal Mart.  None of these little chores were at all strenuous but I was exhausted last night.  I went to bed at 9:00 and slept well but neck pain woke me up at 4:00.  This morning the pain was worse than it has been since surgery.  I get the message.  Back to being very very good.  I expect a scolding so bring it on if you must!  I promise today I will be a sloth. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2012

Dear Sloth.......hopefully you've taken this labor day holiday to perfect your slothful ways......as in being really really lazy and slugish. I won't even say anything about your previous spurt of unrestrained activity as you seem to have learned quite quickly what happens to medically demanded sloths when they revert to being jack rabbits! Love, your buddy, Mother Hen.

P.S. I do hope you've got the pain back under control again.

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Dear Mother Hen,

I am such a good sloth today that I was able to read and reply to your gentle scolding right away.  I am a terribly efficient sloth today.  I even took a NAP....probably a combination of drugs and boredom.  Daytime TV is incredibly bad.  I did watch reruns of "Chopped" though.  My kind of reality show.  The only kind I can tolerate!  By 'not saying anything' about my activities of yesterday, you said something.  Point taken.  Pain is well under control and I am reasonably bored, so all in all, a good day!

Thanks Mom!  Kiss

With love,

Sloth

P.S.  Tomorrow is another day! 

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

Dear Sloth,

I'm glad to see that your slothful ways have not affected your brain cells....as you certainly can still recognize subtlety ..... As in not saying anything loudly.....but after all, I'm quite certain you must have challenged me to not say anything? Mother Hens have an extremely hard time doing that! As hard as some people find being slothful! However, I'm certainly glad you are being one! Good Job.... We will discuss the plans for tomorrow tomorrow....(that should be a song or something). Have a great evening

Mother H.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012

So we're not supposed to wear underwire bras ever? I just thought it was after surgery???

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited September 2012

I am wearing one with no SEs...would depend on the type of surgery and if you have any truncal LE I would imagine. My rads were 6 months ago too.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2012

Janis, yes I will paint your nails at the slumber party.  Perhaps you would like blue with orange polka-dots, like my DD? And we can watch Chopped reruns, or maybe Iron Chef, that's another good one.

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Sab.....Red is my very favorite color so thinking we can do some cool combinations with that.  Polka dots would be so festive.  I will leave it to your creative genius okay?  The others will be jealous so you know you will end up doing all theirs as well.

Oh the Chopped reruns will be great, as will Iron Chef America.  I love both shows.  I have some ideas for the mystery baskets for this party.  We can use...chocolate!  Of course all the varieties.  Cream, heavy whipping cream.  Cake mixes (have to have at least one pre packaged ingredient to screw everything up).  Wine.  Chocolate.  Bacardi.  Chocolate.  More chocolate.  I see a pattern emerging  Betting we can come up with something.  We'll have to fine tune the ingredient list of course.  Everyone feel free to add your own personal selections.  Chocolate.......:)

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Janis, I'm seeing a chocolate lava cake with rum sauce and wine poached pears (we get a pantry too, right?)

I actually had an Iron Chef pot-luck party once, we did peaches and everybody used the theme ingredient for very yummy results! 

Well, this is making me hungry.

Feel good, rest and no cat necklaces Wink

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

So, Sab, does Janis get a discount cause she's only got 3 toes? She's a good sloth you know!

M Hen

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

SAB.....I am thinking you are a genius!  Of course the lava cake is acceptable.  The rum sauce is perfect!  Make sure to save some of the rum to make some silly fruity girly drinks.  The fruit of course makes them healthy!

Pistol did make it to my neck this morning.  Poor guy has been wanting to jump up since I got home and doesn't understand why he can't.  This morning he blindsighted me and jumped from the floor to my shoulders from the back.  I let him sit there awhile and he was so happy.

Get this...while I am being the best sloth ever, yesterday we got rear ended while driving in my stepson's Jeep!  It is a new Jeep and the jolt was HARD.....but we all got out and there was no damage at all.  The girl that hit us was a dingbat.  Her car had a huge dent but she said she had hit someone earlier.  Earlier the same day?  Chuck and Russ both swore she was on meth.  Russ did not call the police but got her information at least.  No damage to the Jeep so he saw no point.  I was being a SLOTH when the accident happened!

Oh and now I have a cold.  I never get colds...or very rarely.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad sore throat and coughing.  I have been okay today but my joints seem to hurt.  Russ left for Seattle but took us out to breakfast before he left.  What a nice treat....he took us out a few times.  After that I had to go get a gift card for my grandson Wesley.  Have to sent it to Wyoming.  He turns  on Monday.  Wow...they grow up way too fast.  I got tired at the store and finally came home.  Chuck said he knew I was not feeling well.  I am taking it very easy now.  Laid down for awhile but I am not sleepy.  Daytime TV is pathetic LOL!

SAB my neighbor Carol came over yesterday and brought me a big basket of fresh peaches from her tree.  I am not allowed to do anything and it is frustrating.  Can you stop by and whip up something amazing with them?  I can supervise.  :)

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Janis, does your husband grill?  While you are slothing around he can grill peach halves for you, sprinkling brown sugar on at the end.  Yum.  I would do it, but I am not talented at grilling (unless you like charcoal!) 

Janis, I swear I gain weight just from writing these postings! 

• SAB
    edited September 2012

MHen, If I give a sloth 3-toe discount next thing you know my dogs will want a 4-toe discount and then there goes all my business!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2012

Laughing

thanks for the smiles.....wow am I hungry?
    I'll bring the little umbrellas for those fruity drinks.

I've been craving lemon bars lately....maybe I'll bake some!

Janis, no need to tell you to take it easy, your body is doing a perfect job. 
    A rear end accident??? Please be sure you are OK. 

I called my BS's office today and the NP told me she has never seen what I have (cording at surface of abdomen)  I told her I could be her first patient....she had no idea what the treatments are...she is used to treating axillary cording and LE.  It is still tender to touch, but clothes do not bother it.
    I have no idea if this is related to underwires especially since I have worn them often since surgery.  NP is checking with BS to see if I need PT or a visit.

Janis, thanks for your words of comfort the other day....I was so sad and couldn't be alone like you said.  Monday turned out great...I just rolled with it....spent lots of time with the GDs and brought lunch to their cottage while they packed up their belongings and said goodbye to summer.  That night I booked a week end at Disney with them....they have 2 rooms and want my help.  I can't wait!

Work is great - but am so tired after the first 14 hour day.

Hope everyone is doing well today....I badly need my nails done and I will pay full price!!!
    Nite all,

Joan
    PS - I changed my avatar -- DGD has a bandage - 10 stitches in forehead while with her nanny.  She's fine.

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

SAB I have the same problem, I gain while surfing the net for new recipes.  I did give half the peaches to another neighbor so that helps.  I think I can sit and peel them and slice them without doing any damage to my neck.  We'll see!  We don't use the grill a lot.  I love to grill asparagus and veggies.  I usually burn meat!  We have charcoal too.  Chuck is pretty good with it.  Peaches he is not real fond of so not sure he will grill any.

Joan I love your new avatar and happy to hear the baby is okay!  Poor little thing.  She is a doll!  I am glad you were able to get through Monday with ease.  It sounds like you had a nice day which is awesome.  Your cording is very strange, but I have come to realize all sorts of bizarre things happen with BC.  I am glad you called the BS's office and at least someone is looking into it.

Lemon bars sound perfect by the way!

No injeries from the little collision.  It was almost comical that it weven happened.  I have been so careful around the house and here some dingbat girl just slams into the car.  It was Russ's new jeep and not a scratch on it which is why he didn't call the police.  I am fine, honest!  I somehow got a cold which right now is more annoying than my neck.

Mother Hen 'runn oft' on us.  LOL, couldn't resist.  If you saw the movie 'O Brother Where Art Thou'? it would make sense.  She has left town for a few days but she'll be posting again in no time.  I miss her daily scoldings!  Okay, very gentle reminders to behave.....:)

I hope everyone else is doing great.  You ladies have been my rock for so long, you have no idea. 

Love and joy to all!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2012

Joan811 I am glad that you are doing better, and glad that you will have fun at Disneyland. Janis I am glad that you are doing better too. My surgeon gave me a nice surprise yesterday. I told her I did not have a laptop to bring to the hospital. She told this to her Aunt, amd her Aunt gave me a laptop that she no longer uses. I thought it was just to borrow, but instead she gave it to me. How nice is that. So now I will be able to email from the hospital and access games etc. This will be a blessing because I will be in the hospital for 5-7 days. My surgery is in 6 days and I am getting a little nervous. I know I will be fine, but I am scared about the first night when I am tied up to IV's and a catheter, and have to wear a hospital gown. I feel so much better in my own jammies, but I won't be able to wear them till the next day.

• joan811
    edited September 2012

Janis, - about the jeep and the dingbat -- you can't write this stuff!  You are so right on about how little we can really control what happens to us.  It's like when we watch our kids too closely - the careful ones get hurt and the neglected ones never seem to get a thing :-P
    Janis, I continue to be amazed at how well you are doing.  I think attitude is a big part. 
    Kate, it is hard to believe your surgery is so near.  Of course you are nervous.  My biggest concern when I had medical procedures was and is being confined.  It usually turns out that I don't really protest during the recovery....I think you will be relaxed from the drugs and time will pass quickly.  Have you told your family about your upcoming surgery?  That is so cool about the laptop!  Can you bring some favorite music with you?  I find it is such a good distraction for me.

Mmm peaches...I like mine sliced and heated in a pan with butter and brown sugar, then served warm over pound cake with vanilla ice cream.  oops- that's not so healhy, is it?  but once a year is ok.

Long week at work, even with Monday off!  Gotta get some sleep.
    Nite all,
    Joan

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Hi Joan,

Unfortunately I hate taking medication. Even though my surgeon will prescribe a morphine drip and percocet. She also will prescribe tylenol. I hope I can be brave enough and endure the pain, and only take tylenol. I hate medication side effects more than I do pain. Being confined does not bother me. What bothers me is the unknown. Of course my family will be supportive. When I don't have visitors my biggest distraction will be my laptop. Tomorrow I am going to Malibu for happy hour with my surgeon, so that will take my mind off of the surgery. Have a great weekend everyone.

• joan811
    edited September 2012

Kate,
    I had a feeling you'd have an evening out before surgery!  I hope you are enjoying it.
    I do not like how I feel after I take meds; but I do like how I feel on them if they are needed.
    You've been through so much....I hope this is a fast recovery for you. 
    Enjoy your week end....

Joan

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Hi Joan,

Your support is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! I had a great time with my surgeon last night when we went to three different happy hours. I am going to try and stay busy this weekend so I won't have to think about my surgery in 4 days. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. 

• joan811
    edited September 2012

Kate - I had caffeine and am not sleeping....
    So glad you had a great time when you went out.
    As you know from your many experiences, it does not help if we look too far ahead....things always change anyway...you know that better than most of us.
    Here's to enjoying today, thinking about tomorrow, and not looking down the road where we can't see anyway.
    Hugs,

Joan

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Joan great words of wisdom!  I can't sleep either.  Tough afternoon but I am doing fine.  Not health related!  I am going to try to get some sleep here in a bit.  I hope all is well in your world.  I am healing well but have this annoying leftover cough from my cold.  I am coughing up a lot of gunk so guess that is good I am getting it out.  Still it is annoying and my chest hurts for the effort of all the coughing.  This should pass soon.

We did make some peach crisp with the peaches.  It was heavenly.  I ate too much of course but convinced myself it was good for me with all the peaches.  Plus I tweaked the recipe a but by adding oats and almonds to the crisp part.  Nice and crunchy topping and so delicious!

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Joan thank you again so much for your support. You are so right about taking one day at a time. I am going to enjoy a beautiful Sunday in Santa Monica, and I hope you enjoy your Sunday too.

• joan811
    edited September 2012

Janis, please watch over that congestion ... I hope coughing isn't bring you any discomfort.  I have to say, you have sounded so much like yourself since you had this surgery.  It is unbelievable...I thought it would be a long time.  Peach crisp???

Kate, I think of you often and know this time is so unsettling.  I remember when every unpleasant day lay ahead of me; and I had to tell myself I could do whatever the day held for me - just for one day.  Some days I had a weird peace but I always seemed to have last minute jittery nerves.  I hope you'll let us help carry some of the fears and worries for you.  

Am at work but home late - last night I fell asleep in the middle of a post here.
    Back to work, home at 9. 

Hugs to all,

Joan

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

joan811 thank you so much you are a sweetheart.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

My surgery is at 8 am los angeles time tomorrow morning. I have to be at the hospital at 6am. I am a little nervous, but mostly I am ok. I am a trooper, so all will be fine. I will be in the hospital a minimum of 5 days.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited September 2012

best of luck kate.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012

Good Luck Kate. You'll be back home in no time. We'll be thinking about you.

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Thinking about you Kate...sending positive thoughts!

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Good luck today Kate.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  I hope you will be feeling much better very soon.

I went to the doctor yesterday for my two week post op visit.  I had to go get x-rays first.  Everything looks good, all my coughing and hacking hasn't dislodged any of my new hardware.  They were concerned about my being sick, so put me on antibiotics and also cough medicine.  I am still not sleeping well but at least the cough medicine seems to help.  I go back to see him four weeks, I remain on light duty until then.

Joan I hope all is well in your world and you are able to get some sleep!  My neck has been mending really well, no worries.  The cold has kicked my butt harder than the neck surgery!

Have a great day everyone.  Hugs dear ladies!