Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2012

Routine MO visit tomorrow, always fun. Blood work was a bit off, so keep your fingers crossed. 

Janis, I have the opposite problem...can't stay awake.  Hiked 9 miles with my niece yesterday, and was stung by a wasp on my face (she was stung 7 times, thank heavens she wasn't allergic.) We watched a movie last night huddled together with our ice packs and next thing I knew it was morning. 

Any word of Kate yet? 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited September 2012

Good luck with your surgery, Kate.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2012

Janis,

Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Maybe the treats help? Good you've got something to knock this cold. Keep up the good work.....M Hen

Sab...no wonder you're sleeping well... A 9 mile hike is quite far. Good on you. Sorry for the bee sting, those are definitely painful, and hopefully it's better tonight. Good,luck with the MO visit tomorrow and let us know what he says. Oh, also, I'm still reading the anti-cancer book. I'm concentrating on eating 27 different fruits and veggies a week. The number isn't hard, it's the word different that presents the challenge!

Speaking of which, Janis, got a multi-fruit compote up your sleeve? Maybe with cream cheese or something decadent? It would help meet my 27 anyway.

Kate, hope the surgery went well for you today.

I've been off at a quilting retreat this past week. Up in Northern Calif. by mt. Shasta. It was beautiful and inspiring. Didnt think of cancer or treatments at all. Wonderful. Now for reality and an RO follow up appt next week. Ah well,it was great while it lasted.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2012

Thank you pt dreamer,mini1 Sab, and Janis. It was a long surgery. I spent a long time in recovery, but finally  I am in my own room. This is no picnic. I have pain in my back, but I can deal with that. It is being tied down to a  catheter, IV, and some God awful machine on my legs is what is intolerable. On the positive side I have a cool private room with a view of the mountains. thanks again for your support it helps.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Thank you Elizabeth and Mostly Sew. I truly appreciate your support. As noted above I am uncomfortable. Because I am resilient I am hoping I can feel much better soon.

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Nice to see you check in Kate!  

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012

A room with a view. We'll take our blessings where we can find them. :-)

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2012

Kate nice to see you are posting.  Keep feeling better! 

Sab...yikes, a nine mile hike would bury me for sure.  No wonder you are tired!  I love walking and have to get back into doing it daily now that it is cooler.  I have been walking some since surgery.  I am sorry about the wasp stings, OUCH!  Nasty little things.  We have tons of them here.  So far we have been lucky. 

Sew...I made that peach crisp last week but nothing with fruit since.  We are putting apples in our homemade veggie juices.  Last time DH made juice he used carrots, kale, celery and Granny Smith Apples.  It was delicious!  He is getting really creative with that juicer.  :)  Rut Roh.  I almost forgot the cookies I made this week.  They did have cream cheese in them.  And chocolate chips.  And coconut.  Coconut is fruit, right? 

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Thank you mini1. This is such a nice hospital. 50 inch flat sreen tvs,all private rooms, brand new renovations, and my room has a splendid view of the Santa Monica mountains. Janis I woul use the computer even if I was dying. Using the computer takes my mind off the pain. I do have back pain today. I could have morphine or percocet, but because of my aversion to side effects from medication I am only taking extra strength tylenol. On the positive side the catheter and IV's and something on my legs  to prevent blood clots were all taken off today. The only thing I am stuck with now is an iv antibiotic for a half hour every 8 hours and 3 drains.

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Kate, are you at St. John's?  Wish I were there, I'd run up some get well cookies for you!  This will have to do:

Had my MO appointment.  He said watch, but don't worry.  So I won't!

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Kate, are you at St. John's?  Wish I were there, I'd run up some get well cookies for you!  This will have to do:

Had my MO appointment.  He said watch, but don't worry.  So I won't!

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited September 2012

hello ladies:  i've been away from here for a couple months.  just enjoying the last of the summer and went to ocean for a while.  Just wanted to let you know that I had my first mammo since surgery and radiation and everything is stable.  since my tumor was not seen on mammo I will have an mri in 6 months.  My breasts are so dense that the mri will be welcomed.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Saab I am at St. Johns. Itis wonderful here. As I mentioned in a preious post it is mostly brand new private rooms, and I have a room with a view of the  Santa Monica mountains. Thank you so much for the cookie bouquet. I am so glad your mo said not to worry. Kingjr I am so glad you are doing well.

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

Kingjr, welcome back. That's great about your clear mammo. My first mammo sort of relieved a lot of the stress I had, if you know what I mean. It's just always good to get a clear report. I'm glad you're getting the MRI next time, because it will make you feel better about it all. I was out at the ocean here at the West Coast yesterday, and it was beautiful.

Janis.....yes, I'm sure coconut must be a veggi. Those smoothies your DH makes sound really decadent. My hubby is even now making pizza.... Homemade whole wheat crust, all veggies and mine has goat cheese sprinkled on.....oh boy am I waiting for dinner.

I went for blood tests today....a ton of them. I'm curious to see the results. One they're testing is cholesterol, something I always flunk and I'll be interested to see what Arimidex is doing to it.

Have a good evening everyone.....

• sharonb56
    sharonb56 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2012

I will start radiation soon, just wondering what to expect. I see my oncologist next tuesday and he will give me his version of radiation, but would rather here it from someone who has been there.. Thanks Sharon B

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

Hi Sharon,

Hmmmm...good question. You know, radiation affects each of us differently. Generally though, you'll be just fine. Remember to use lotion.....lots. Put it on right after treatment before you go home and then several times during the day. Remember pure aloe, it works great for the sun burning effect. Your RO (radiation oncologists) nurse/dr will help you with any problems you might develop. Sometimes you need extra burn cream, but that won't be till close to finishing.

It will seem like 33 treatments plus boosts will be forever, but you will get thru it. Take naps as needed, eat lots of extra protein and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Check in here if you get weird things, like sharp pains in the breast which take your breath away, but are normal and don't last long. Or anything else that is bothering you. You might also look for a thread of ladies going thru rads in sept/oct like you are. So, the whole thing is scary, but.....you will get thru it before you know it. Good luck

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Sew....I love that your Dh is making pizza for you.  What a guy!  Mine has been so awesome and his speciality is salads.  He has it down to a science and makes such good ones.  We grow a few veggies and the rest we buy.  Our tomatoes are amazing.  His veggie juices are delicious!  He bought a juicer at a garage sale for $2.  He swore up and down I would love carrot juice.  Honestly I was skeptical, but he makes some great combos.  The last batch he made was carrots, kale, celery and Granny Smith apples.  It was delicious.  It is a bit of work but sure is good.  Sew I can relate to the blood tests.  I hate that cholesterol but last time mine was down 18 points.  Not a lot, but at least in the right direction.  Slowly but slowly........hehehehehe.

kingjr it is good to see you again.  I am so glad to hear that your first mammo was clear.  That is always such a relief.  Spending some time by the ocean sounds so relaxing.  It sounds like you had a good summer.

Welcome Sharon.  radiation is different for everyone.  There are a lot of threads here about it and I would encourage you to read up and get as much information as possible.  Sew had some great advice.  Moisturizing is so important.  I am sure your RO will give you some good advice on what to use.  If not feel free to ask questions.  We have all been there and lived to tell.  Some of us still have a sense of humor about it.  It is always easier to be on this side of the fence, but seriously, you should do fine.  Best of luck to you!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2012

(((((Kate)))))
    So glad to hear you survived the initial dreaded tie-downs!  I knew you could do it.....I am sorry you have pain Frown
    I was sick for several days but had to work 14 hour days - when I got home I could not lift my head to go online....but Kate, I was saying prayers for you -- and the pocket was awesome. 
    Mmmmmm cookie bouquet....are you sharing? 
    Wow, what a country club you've got there....don't even tell me they have good food, too!
    So glad you are connected and can be in touch.
    Wishing you the best....

PS - Janis, I guess I caught your cold....am catching up on posts, but I have to say I was worried about your cold too....glad you passed your post surgery appointment and happy that your cough is being addressed.  Of all things to be dealing with when you have delicate mending to do!!

More later... Joan

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

joan811 Thank you so much for your prayers. I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your support. Of course I will share my cookie bouquet. The hospital food is not bad. For each meal there are three different main courses to choose from. Tonight I wanted something light, so I chose JUlienne salad for my main course. Unforrtfutunately I am still feeling uncomfortable. When I am in pain The computer is a major comfort for me. It takes my mind off of the pain.

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Hey King! Congrats on the mammo!  Such a relief!

Joan, Sorry you are sick. It is just the worst when you can't rest... I hope the weekend will bring some relaxation time for you.

Sharon, Good luck.  You have already gotten good advice from the other ladies to moisturize, eat protein, rest and bring any weirdness to your RO's attention, so I will just send you my wish that radiation will for the most part be a non-event. It does seem to take forever because it is such a pain to get there every day, but it ends and your skin mends and your fatigue goes away and everything will be fine.

Janis and Sew, shall I hug you or spank you guys? I know my anti-cancer diet is utterly boring but cholesterol went from 259 to 170 in one year with good ratios.  Off statins entirely too, since February. Don't be mad at me for lecturing (please.)  

Kate-you sound great.  Only a couple more days to go! I hope they are treating you like this:

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2012

Kate,
    I know what you mean about the computer.  It keeps us connected to the outside world when we are alone or confined.   

A few years ago I spent 6 days in the hospital....on the way, I went to Best Buy and bought a laptop.   I had to use the phone line!  I was there 6 days before surgery, and I ran up a phone bill over $200. But it was worth it!  I still feel that way when I travel or sleep away from home.

Hope you have an even better night and day tomorrow!
    J

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Joan811 Thank you so much

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

Sab....nah, no spanking! Lectures are good though. Actually, the anti-cancer diet is much like what I already eat, being a vegetarian and my hubby is pre-diabetic so only whole grains in the house. But...I'm loving the challenge of 27. It's fun. Congrats on lowering the cholesterol, that's great. Probably was from the weight loss. I think Janis's is down too. Me, I haven't lost enough weight to affect it yet, but at least I'm getting stronger by the day and exercising....that always feels good.

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Sab....I appreciate you lecturing, it is a sign you care!  My cholesterol went down almost 100 points in a year, so I really am trying!  I have to have my occasional cheats though.  :)

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Janis that is so impressive!  Sew and Janis I take it all back! 

I am so fried.  Plumber came yesterday to replace a hot water heater, broke a water valve, turned the house water off accidentally and can't get back here to set it right until later today.  I'm pulling up decking with my DD, trying to figure valves out and looking for a new plumber.

• sharonb56
    edited September 2012

Thank you ladies for the heads up on the radiation. I think it is the unknown that makes this all so scary. I have another quick question I had my lumpectomy and node biopsy last friday. There is still alot of pain under the arm and it's been a week, my b.s. says this is normal nerve pain, anyone else have the same.  Hugs Sharon

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited September 2012
    free hugs for all.
  • SAB
    edited September 2012

Sharon, Yes, I did have pain for quite some time...it never went all the way back to "normal."  When your bs says it's ok you may want to begin some gentle stretching. I hope you feel better soon!

• sharonb56
    edited September 2012

SAB, Thank you was wondering if it was just me. The incision area looks great and I just could not understand why I still was hurting. I called and spoke to the nurse and she said bs said it was normal nerve pain. Well guess what it doen't feel so normal to me ...lol Thanks again, sharon

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012

I've got to second the ladies. I had pain off and on for some time. Nothing dibilitating, but painful nonetheless. I had the same thing when I had lung surgery. A sudden pin prick, kind of hot pain; it was the nerves regenrating. It would come on suddenly and end just as quickly. I still have some other pain from the lumpectomy that feels more muscular when I stretch too far, and mine has been almost 4 months now. I hope that goes away soon.