Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jewish Warrior Sisters

Options

Comments

• BellaJean
    BellaJean Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks for all  your comments re: my PIKK. Think I will keep it for first and second infusion and then do the last one through the vein. I need to start to feel more normal and healthyagain.

Part of all this is how I learned I had BC; which for me came out of the blue. I got the call as my DH was calling our children and grandchldren to the table for the first night of Roshashona. I was just putting the final touches on dinner. As my GP is Jewish and so since I had not heard by 6pm I thought I would not get the results until after the holidays. All my defenses were down, I had put waiting for  the biopsy results away  and was just looking forward to time to celebrate with my family. Now, when I can, I try to take control in a healthy way and not stay in the patient role longer then needed. So, I will stay with the PIKK until through the second infusion, assuming there is no good medical reason to keep it longer.

Karen: I agree with hrf. Let us now when you are here and the three of us should do a nice lunch, brunch or dinner and put faces and voices to our posts. Any one else coming this way, please let us Torontoians know. (FYI: I am blessed...American by birth and upbringing...Canadian by adulthood and work.   

Thanks for all your help and for listening. Bella   

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited January 2012
    Options

One of the good reasons for the PIKK is to protect your veins so if you can hang in with it until the end, it will be better. The chemo destroyed my veins - caused them to collapse - thus getting blood now or starting an IV is a huge challenge and causes me a lot of anxiety. However, you need to do what works best for you. That's just my advice. 

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2012
    Options

Bella....I'm Canadian born and raised till 11 then my folks moved to the states and I've been here ever since....my kids have dual citizenship....and my future grandkids will be Canadian!!!  I will definitely let everyone know when I'm in Toronto again...was just there over Shabbos Chanukah, but was crazy hectic but good!!

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2012
    Options

So glad to have found this thread!  I was wondering whether there was a thread for us Jewish gals! 

I am Joan from New Jersey, had a BMX mastectomy 2 weeks ago 19 years after my first breast cancer diagnosis (this one is a new primary) and have my first visit with the onc tomorrow. 

I am looking forward to some good chats, some delicious chicken soup  type of love when needed and some new friendships.

Joan

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2012
    Options

I am new to this thread also.  I am Gayle from the Bronx.  I had a lumpectomy on 12/6 and had my first TC this past Tuesday.  So far the SE's are not too bad; tired and achy but nothing that I can't push through.  After my 4 TC infusions I will have radiation and hormone therapy.

So glad to find a thread as well for us Jewish gals.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,834
    edited January 2012
    Options

Welcome Gayle and Joan,

I am originally from the Bronx and lived there until I was about 19. My parents and brother now live in NJ.  After 23 years in Northern CA, I doubt I'll ever move back east but enjoy visiting. Take good care of yourselves.

Caryn 

• BellaJean
    BellaJean Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi all,

Heard your advise and have decided to stay with the PIKK until the end of the infusions. Not worth the risk. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Like many I lived in the Bronx from my last year in high school through university. Before that lived in Manhattan and even Brooklyn. So I call New York my childhood home as i don't think I can claim any single borough as mine. lol

Have a great evening everyone. Bella

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited January 2012
    Options

Gayle and Joan, I'm glad you found us.

I was born in Brooklyn and lived there until the ripe old age of 6 months. For some strange reason I have no memories of living there. I lived in the Bronx (Marble Hill Housing Project until I was 10 then lived in Queens (Elmhurst) until I was 21. Then I went halfway around the world, lived in Jerusalem for 4 years and when I married my Torontonian husband we went to his "home town" to live. 6 years later we moved back to Israel and a year after we came we moved to Moshav Matityahu, where we've been for the past 27 (almost 28!) years. So my past intercepts with many of you!

Leah

• Gayle56
    edited January 2012
    Options

Leah I live right up the hill from those projects My first boyfriend lived there.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited January 2012
    Options

Welcome to everyone who's recently found this thread! I can only lay claim to living in NYC (Manhattan) for six months after I was born, but my Dad grew up in the Bronx (Kruger Ave) and went to Bronx Science.

Gayle - Glad the SE's haven't been too bad. I started a week after you and so far am doing fairly well, too. (Though I'm once every three weeks; you're probably once every two - so I'm only 2 treatments in). 

• antonia1
    antonia1 Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi everybody. I am also new to this thread.  I am another New Yorker -- from Queens, although I was born and raised in Poland where I lived until I was 21.  I am married and have two married sons and two adorable grandchildren 15 months old girl and 13 months old boy, who are my great joy. 

I am almost finished with my active treatment, with one herceptin left, unfortunately my husband has been diagnosed with a rare stage IV carcinosarcoma, last September,  so I am not in a position to celebrate.  Leah, may be you rabbi can make some sense of it -- both of us struck with cancer a year apart.  I can make no sense of it and  so I am simply  taking one step a the time and study a lot of  'diet for cancer' books.

In  so many ways this cancer forum has been my lifeline, even if I very seldom post. That said, it is nice to meet some other Jewish ladies

I wish my husband and I had  Jewish names so that you could include us in your prayers, but  my non-religious parents didn't give me  one and the same goes for my husband.

• antonia1
    edited January 2012
    Options

rachelvk, my younger son also went to Bronx Science.

• rachelvk
    edited January 2012
    Options

Antonia - I'm so sorry you and your husband have your own cancer journeys to make. I hope you have good doctors who can help you make the right decisions. We had a lot of discussions around the High Holy Days about cancer and faith and the why's of it all. There are never any simple answers, but we've all found some strength and comfort in being able to share with each other.

We do have a Misheberach list of names for the prayer for the ill on another thread - and any name is fine! I'll add you and your husband to my prayers.

• antonia1
    edited January 2012
    Options

Rachel, thanks.  And yes, there are no simple answers.  All we can do is change what we can and accept what we cannot.  Both, my husband and I  have good doctors, my husband at SKCC and I across the street at Cornell. I think, in the end, it is all comes to luck.  I feel sorry for my sons who now stand to loose both their parents at once and have to worry what the odd are of them and their  children getting this cruel disease 

It's been one heck of a year but I am hopeful and am holding up. Faith helps and I find that even without any religious upbringing,  I have it.  I will look up the Misheberach list, add my name and say prayers for averybody.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,834
    edited January 2012
    Options

Antonia,

Sorry you have to join us but welcome. My heart goes out to you and your husband. My younger sister passed away from uterine cancer less than a year ago. My parents are in their 80's and it killed me to have to tell them I had cancer too. This is where we just have to have faith in G-d. Many times that is the only thing that sees me through this. On a lighter note, although I was raised in the Bronx, I got my undergraduate degree at Queens College. Take very good care of yourself.

Caryn

• Gayle56
    edited January 2012
    Options

rachelvk  - Hope you enjoyed your birthday yesterday.

I am once every 3 weeks, the next one is 2/7.

I work on Cruger Ave.  Maybe your Dad knows PS 105.

Antonia so sorry.  All we can do is have faith.  Where in Queens.  My son lives in Astoria.

Gayle

• antonia1
    edited January 2012
    Options

I live in Bayside.

• JoanQuilts
    edited January 2012
    Options

I just wanted to wish a Shabbat Shalom to all my new Jewish warrior sister-friends.  My synagogue-community has been WONDERFUL to me, with its Tikkum Olam committee arranging for meal delivery after my surgery and offering up many prayers and general support.  I am so blessed.

I will be starting chemo NEXT Friday and am feeling very nervous - even though I am well-educated about the process and possible side effects.  In fact, I went through chemo 19 years ago with my first b.c. diagnosis.

On another topic, I grew up in Queens (South Jamaica) and lived in Elmhurst after college. My parents are from Brownsville, Brooklyn.

Good shabbos everyone.

• rachelvk
    edited January 2012
    Options

Joan - Welcome (though I'm sorry you have to be here especially the second time around). I'm glad you got so much help from your synagogue. Mine was super, too. Oh! You're in Edison! What shul? Mine is in East Windsor, and they were fantastic.

What chemo regime? I'll probably pop into the Feb chemo group. I started in December but am on TACx6 every three weeks, which puts me into the end of March. Good luck. From what I've heard, things are a lot different now. My MO and nurse are amazing - they have almost everything covered in terms of addressing SEs before they happen. Neulasta is a great thing, and taking claritin really does seem to lessen the aches that come from that.

Wishing you all the best - and a Shabbat Shalom to everyone. 

• JoanQuilts
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks Rachel.  I am a member of Congregation Neve Shalom in Metuchen.  It sounds like our diagnoses are similar, except for maybe tumor size.  I am just nervous about the chemo because I don't like to feel bleh...and like everyone, I have so much to do, that sitting around on the days I feel poorly is not a very attractive option.

I am going to the ACS in North Brunswick on Wednesday to browse through their free wigs, as well as have an appointment at the WISE Center in E. Brunswick next Saturday to shop their wigs.  I feel nauseous just thinking about the hair loss.  My onco is in Somerset - Dr. Fein.

Thanks for saying hi!  I'm sure we'll be "speaking" more.

Joan

• JoanQuilts
    edited January 2012
    Options

PS - I'll be on Taxotere-Cytoxan. 

• karen1956
    edited January 2012
    Options

Wishing everyone a relaxing feel good Shabbat....its 10 here in Denver and I haven't even started cooking...way behind schedule....still need to run to the store and pick up a few things....like my chicken!!!  its snowing here, so I best get him behind in gear and get going......Hugs, Karen

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi Sisters,

How are you all? Sorry to meet the new girls...I have been overwhelmed.  Went back to work, then my land lady, after saying we could stay here for 30 years, told us we had to move.  Well, screw her, we bought a house and are moving today!  We closed Friday right before Shabbat came in.  

I got me a new dermatologist because my old one was an idiot.  wanted me to go a year without another check (last one was in Sept).  Good thing I fired him and got a new one, because she removed two moles that turned out to be dysplastic.  She also thinks I have symptoms of lymphoma and called my oncologist for me (did not give me a choice).  The scheduled an appointment for me for Thursday.  To say I am freaked out is an understatement, but I have a house to pull together and classes to teach and can't deal with more cancer right now.  What is that saying?  Man plans and G-d laughs?  Of course, this was right after a deep convo with my DH in which I told him I feel like cancer is chancing me and I'm going to die young.  

Thank G-d friends invited us for dinner tonight!  Our kitchen isn't kashered yet!

Love you all!

• rachelvk
    edited January 2012
    Options

Eema - Thank you for checking in! I'm so sorry you've run into so much more tsorrus. I suppose we could think of ourselves as G-d's little comedy club. I'll send prayers your way and double up on the misheberachs. I do wish you many, many, many years in that new home of yours. 

• karen1956
    edited January 2012
    Options

Eema...I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with so much...prayers and wishes for some good news....wishing you much happiness in your new home...Karen

• Gayle56
    edited January 2012
    Options

Eema  - prayers to you

Rachelvk - I like that - G-d's Little Comedy Club  - so true

• rachelvk
    edited February 2012
    Options

My rabbi emailed me from Israel yesterday to say he made a Misheberach for me at the Kotel. That made me feel so good. I replied - "Nothing like calling local!"

I hope everyone is doing well. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2012
    Options

That's funny Rachel!  What a cool Rabbi.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2012
    Options

Eema, do you have any more news? I've been thinking about you and davening for you.

So...I checked the tattoo thing with a rabbi I know. He said that there is no halacha that prevents someone with tattoos from being buried in a Jewish cemetery. He told me that he'd heard about a man who had tattoos and became dati. This person asked if he should have his tattoos removed and was told he didn't have to, that they could be for him a symbol of how he'd changed.

Anyone having rads can refuse tattoos. Part of the consent form that you sign for rad includes permission to do tattoos but they can use markers that they usually cover with tegaderm if you want. Of course, they'll give you all kinds of arguments but it's easier for the techs but not medically an absolute necessity. My favorite was one I read here - someone was told they needed to do tattoos because if she ever needed rads again they would need to see where the field was since they can't reradiate the same area. But don't worry, she was told, if the tattoos bother you after the treatment you can have them removed. Doncha just love logic?

Love to all.

Leah

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi Leah,

Thanks for thinking of me. I was supposed to have a PET scan tomorrow, but just heard my ins won't pay for it, so I'm just having the CT scans. I Am very frustrated. The PET scan will give more information... I guess the good news is I won't be radioactive!

I will share more when I have more info. I'd really like to come to Israel in May if all is good. I have travel money that I have to spend or it will go away! After that, I have to have my implant fixed. It broke, and the implant slid down about an inch and a half. That and some fat grafting. Make my tushy into cleavage, please!

Xoxox to you all.

Eema