Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jewish Warrior Sisters

Options

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,834
    edited January 2012
    Options

I've read differing opinions on tattoos, including some reformed rabbis who think it's OK. I am, personally, not a fan. Both of my daughters have small tattoos. The older one now regrets hers. The younger one has the Hebrew word for love, ahava, on her wrist. It has several deeply personal meanings for her and she has no desire to get any more. We joke that the taboo is actually a conspiracy by Jewish mothers to prevent their children from getting tattoos. The dd's thought it was funny when I got my tattoos for rads.

Caryn

• SheriBell
    SheriBell Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2012
    Options
    exbrnxgrl - I am sure the tatoo thing IS a conspiracy by Jewish moms!! Wink
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited January 2012
    Options

I remember reading an article written by a Jewish mother of a teenager back in the  90's that went something like this:

The other day my daughter told me she wants a tattoo. I explained to her that it's against our faith to desecrate her body. If she gets a tattoo she will not be allowed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery next to us, her parents and her siblings.

Her response. Well mom I wasn't planning on being buried next to you, dad and my siblings. I was planning on being buried in the non Jewish cemetery across the street with my future goy husband.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited January 2012
    Options
        Synopsis    Has anyone seen either of these films?  They're both out on DVD.  The former is my all time favorite movie.  :      Jan Hrebejk's DIVIDED WE  FALL, the Czech nominee for Best Foreign Language Film at the 2001 Academy  Awards, tells the moving tale of a Czech couple attempting desperately to  preserve their humanity while the Nazis take over their country and wage war  on the rest of Europe. Bolek Polivka stars as Josef, a humble man helping the  Jews pack up and leave before the Nazi invasion. He and his wife, Marie (the  marvelous Anna Siskova), are in danger of drifting apart because they are  unable to have children. Once the war begins and the Jews are shepherded out  of their town and to Theresienstadt, Marie and Josef must obey the Gestapo's  rules or else end up being arrested. They are visited almost daily by Horst  (Jaroslav Ducek), who is quite taken with Marie while trying to lure Josef  into collaborating the Nazis; to show his support for the new regime, Horst  has even trimmed his mustache and combed his hair so that he closely  resembles Hitler. When an escaped Jew (whose father Josef and Horst used to  work for) shows up needing help, Josef and Marie are unable to say no, even  though they understand that they will be killed if they are caught harboring  a fugitive. Hrebejk's film, featuring powerful music and stunning  camerawork--including emotional scenes shot in virtual slow motion with  frames cut out and a grainy texture--is an important document of a horrific  time in which people were forced to make basic human decisions about  themselves and their neighbors that could lead to the death and devastation  of entire communities.  Nora's Will is a comedy like nothing you've seen before, a truly unique tale of lost faith and eternal love from one of Mexico's most talented new filmmakers, writer/director Mariana Chenillo. Nora's Will was named Mexico's Best Picture of the Year, taking home seven Ariel Awards. Chenillo is the first female director ever to win Mexico's Best Picture award. When his ex-wife Nora dies right before Passover, José (Fernando Luján) is forced to stay with her body until she can be properly put to rest. He soon realizes he is part of Nora's plan to bring her family back together for one last Passover feast, leading José to reexamine their relationship and rediscover their undying love for each other.
  • rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited January 2012
    Options

Interesting discussion about tattoos - I was actually just wondering that myself. As for the medical nature, I'm wondering if this would indeed count, or would be considered cosmetic, but I don't have a problem with it, even though I'd never get any other type of tattoo.

I'll look into those films.

I had a good time at services this morning - got an aliyah and read the Maftir from my Bat Mitzvah portion. My congregation has been so supportive of me, and I had many converations today about how I'm doing, etc. I've learned about so many other families' situations - relatives with cancer, or children with chronic illness - and in some ways it's helped me get closer to some of these people.

Hoping everyone is having a wonderful Shabbat! 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2012
    Options

SheriBell-Developed by Dr. Servan-Schreiber, published in "anti cancer- a new way of life." I can get evangelistic (wrong word for this thread :-) about his writing, but instead I will summarize:  No refined sugars, no white foods (potatoes, bread, white rice) focus on plant based diet.  OK to add in small amounts of organic chicken and occassional grass fed beef.  

His book is not a "diet" book, it covers lifestyle, diet, environment and even attitude in battling cancer.  He survived 20 years with brain cancer and finally succumbed this last July.  I love his book because it is full of interesting information, and he really tried to keep everything evidence-based.  I have read it several times, and always find something new to work on.

• SAB
    edited January 2012
    Options

Rachel, forgive my spelling:  Yishar Koach, what a wonderful way to celebrate.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited January 2012
    Options

Tattoos for anything but medical reasons are forbidden by halacha. However, as far as I know if you do have a tattoo you can still be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

I had rads at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem. They no longer use tattoos for rads but mark the field with lines in iodine. They renew it as it starts to fade a little. I'm not surprised that they don't use tattoos. They probably have the highest percentage of Orthodox Jewish patients in the world and I figure they got tired of two systems, one for those who had tattoos and one for those who refused.

I'm nowhere near the nipple tattoo part (don't even know when recon will be) but when the time comes I'll discuss it with my rabbi. I can't make a decision now since I won't know if I'll want them until I have the foobs. I do know that emotional distress is a legitimate part of the equation when halachic decisions like this are made.

Shavua Tov.

Leah

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited January 2012
    Options

Leah,

You are correct, tattoo's for medical reasons (to make you emotionally whole) are permitted, and yes in Reform Judaism you can be buried in a Jewish cemetary with tattoos. When you teach13/ 14 year olds- many want tattoos, so these are topics I  covered. My friends in the states are still having tattoos for radiation markings. take care, Chocolate.

• BellaJean
    BellaJean Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi all,

What a wonderful thread. Thank you to whom ever started this thread. It is good to have a place to share our thoughts; concerns; and victories. I am into victories and celebrations,and see myself as a fighter so the word Warrior really works for me.  

I've just finished three infusions of FEC and will be starting taxotere on Jan 31. Wondering if any of you have had experience with this protocal or the AC-T protocal. Heard that the taxotere may be really hard after FEC. I did well on FEC but certainly could not work on it as it tired me out alot!

Any information about SE of taxotere would be greatly appreciated. 

• SAB
    edited January 2012
    Options

BellaJean I didn't have chemo but I did want to say welcome.

• Leah_S
    edited January 2012
    Options

BellaJean, welcome! I'm glad you found us. I didn't have the same chemo regimen as you so I can't comment  on that. I just hope it's easy on the SEs and tough on the cancer.

Chocolaterocks, as far as I know you can be buried in any Jewish cemetery if you have tattoos. Of course, I'm hoping that my tattooless body won't be there for a LONG time!

Leah

• BellaJean
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks so much for the welcome. Glad I found you all as well.

I am not very religious. But it has always been my understanding that in the Jewish religion preserving life takes precedence over everything else. (I learned this from my very observant uncle who had to eat on Yom KIpper for health reasons.) If this is how our religion views life, then those of us with tatoos for rads will be fine in terms of being buried in our cemetaries.   

• Leah_S
    edited January 2012
    Options

BellaJean, you're right about that! Since my mets dx I've had to drink on all fasts including Yom Kippur. I take my water bottle with me and sit in my Orthodox shul and drink when I need to. The only thing anyone has ever said is "Refuah Shleimah" (you should have a complete healing). I've ridden to a hospital on Shabbat when I needed to and also a bunch of times went to the hospital on Shabbat with women in labor. The Torah says, "This is the law, and you should live by it." This is understood to mean that not only should we live this way, but the law should be so we can live and therefore is put aside when there is danger to life or limb.

Actually, though, Chocolaterocks and I weren't talking about medical tattoos but about decorative ones. As far as I know even with those you can be buried in a Jewish cemetery. However my curiosity is now on high alert so I'm going to ask someone more knowledgeable than me.

Stay tuned for more!

Leah

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited January 2012
    Options

BellaJean I did taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. I didn't have any nausea, was a bit tired at the end of the day but no intense fatigue. Some taste changes but not too bad. Basically I didn't get the more common SE. The worst for me was I had really bad nail issues. Every single nail toes & fingers lifted. I did lose a few toenails. Some had to be removed. They hurt like hell. Like I said this is not common nor is it common to get it that badly. you can ice your fingers and toes and it might prevent this.

I also had a little neuropathy mostly in my left heel. I started taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500 mg daily. I never got it any where else. I also became very stiff but… I had 6 tx of taxotere. If you are only doing 4 it will make a huge difference.  As bad as this sounds I feel I got by better than most. I did have other SE like constipation, heartburn etc. but once you know what those are you take meds (or metamucil) before they start and you're OK.

Edit
    I still have some nueropathy in my left heel/foot that acts up when it's cold or damp/humid. Not too bad but last week made 1 year PFC.

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hello BellaJean, I did taxotere, or as a lot of us call it...taxoterrible! lol. I was never nauseous but did have a lot of fatigue. I developed yeast infections every round. I also got pretty bad neuropathy in hands and particularly my geet. Still have it in my feet over a year later. Amd of course, my hair was gone. However, it did cause regression of the cancer both in my bones and liver. So its a really good cancer killer. Everyone is different. I had no nail issues like lago. I hope you wont have many s/e on it and that it will really neat up the cancer.

Ladies, of late my really lovely 18 yr old granddaughter has begun getting piercings on ner face no less. yuck. Just as bad as tatoos if you ask me. Wjy this pretty girl wants holes in her face is beyond me.

Judie

• SheriBell
    SheriBell Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2012
    Options

JustJudie- I work at an electronics store with several younger employees (late teens early 20's) the one that gets me is the piercing through the middle of the  nose -( think ring in bulls nose)  It looks so incredibly ridiculous I start giggling everytime  I see it. see  http://www.ael-nose-studs.co.uk/Nose-piercing-types.htm

• Leah_S
    edited January 2012
    Options

Years ago my mother would go to a coffee shop near where she worked. She said one of the workers had that piercing through the middle of the nose and wore a double silver ball through it. My mother said she every time she saw her she was tempted to tell her to blow her nose.

Leah

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited January 2012
    Options

BellaJean - I'm two treatments into Taxotere-Adriamycin-Cytoxin. So far, I haven't had serious side effects, other than losing my hair. I was a little more tired after the 2nd treatment, but I worked part of that Friday (the day after) and was back at work like normal on Monday. I did have a very short period of tingling in my left hand, but it seems to have been an isolated incident so far. I'm icing my hands and taking B-6 (waiting to clear the L-Carnitine with my onc, but there's a lot of literature on it). Ironically, I was put on Taxotere instead of Taxol because the risk of neuropathy is less. But who knows what I'll find during my next 4 treatments. Good luck!

There's a misheberach thread too if you'd like to add your name so we can all think of each other during the prayer for the ill. I'm glad you found this one. 

• Caya
    Caya Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2012
    Options

BellaJean, I had 3 x FEC, then 3 x Taxotere. The Taxotere was tough, but doable.  I was very tired, had UTIs, and got sores "down there" - sorry if this is TMI.  My onc. prescribed some antibiotic cream, and sitz baths helped, also applying 100% virgin coconut oil.I think I had steroids before each infusion, can't remember.  My nails were fine, didn't lose one.

Lago, I was ROTFLMAO re: " I plan on being married in the cemetary across the street with my future goy husband" - OY vei!! I have 2 20something daughters, and I never know who they will bring home.  My younger one pierced her tongue at age 15 (against our wishes, of course) - We grounded her for a month, but did not force her to take it out.  This was her one instance of teenage rebellion, and she took it out a year later of her own accord. 

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2012
    Options

Welcome to all the new MOT....sorry that you had to go down this journey, but glad that you found us!!!

• BellaJean
    edited January 2012
    Options

Good morning everyone,

Caya: like you I am in Canada. In fact, I am your neighbor as I live in Etobicoke and am being treated at Sunnybrooke. I want to thank you for sharing your experiences and have one question: did you have a PKK for the taxotere. They put one in for the FEC and are encouraging me to keep it for the taxotere. I'd like to get rid of it. One less reminder of this journey that none of us want. So I thought I'd do one infusion with the PKK and the next two without, but am wondering if you, or anyone else here, have done taxotere without a PKK or port.

Off to get a coffee and prepare my condo for the arrival of two of my six grandchildren. They are coming for a swim and lunch. The sound of their little voices of delight (or not) is food for this soul.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2012
    Options

Some of the piercings are wild, but at least you can take them out. Tattoos are forever although laser treatments work but are painful and may leave scars. If you could invent an inexpensive, painless way to remove tattoos, you could probably make a fortune. I like the idea of iodine markings for rads or maybe they could use henna.

Caryn

• Caya
    Caya Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2012
    Options

BellaJean,

I did my chemo and Herceptin treatments at Mt. Sinai Hospital.  Because I am triple +, and had to do a year of Herceptin, my onc. strongly recommended I get a port, and I did.  Couldn't have made it through it all without it, because after the 6 chemos, I had 17 Herceptin infusions. 

Hope you have a lovely day with your "ayneglach".

Caryn

• BellaJean
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks for responding Caya. I had my surgery at Mt. Sinai but went to Sunnybrooke for a MO who specializes in triple negative.

Anyone else there, any thoughts on keeping the PKK for the last 2 infusions or getting rid of it. Hope you are all having a great day where ever you are in our world. Bella

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited January 2012
    Options

I'm also in Toronto ... getting all tx at Sunnybrook. Did FEC the first time and TC the second time. Both were difficult. PICC line first time with FEC was a real problem - infection, thrombosis, transfusions. Finally it had to be removed and tx continued in my arms/hands .... second time for TC had a port for 3 of the 4 infusions - was much much better with port. My veins are now shot and even getting a simple blood test is a problem. Wish I'd had the port from the get go. Even though I was still sick, overall I tolerated the TC better than FEC. But long term side effects have become permanent - eg. hair loss, neuropathy in foot ..... 

I'm going off to see my little ones at their skating lesson now .... a 4 1/2 year old and a 7 year old -- they are the best and give me so much joy. They are expecting a little brother at the end of April ..... 

• BellaJean
    edited January 2012
    Options

Oh HRF I am so sorry that you had such a hard time with the PIKK. Sounds like you've been through so much. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. Hoping you have a great day with the kids. Mine have just arrived so have to run. Bella  

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2012
    Options

Bella....I had a port in my arm for chemo and it was wonderful...even though it got infected twice.....I had 6 chemos, then went for IV hydration 3 days following each chemo.....port was taken out 3 weeks post chemo....I'm in Denver, cut my DD and SIL live in Toronto on Bathurst near the 401....SIL is a native Torontonian!!!...maybe on my next trip to Toronto I can meet all the Toronto gals!!! probably won't be till summer

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2012
    Options

PICC lines are not as commonly used for chemo as ports are, due to a greater chance for infection. If you already have one, maybas well keep it unless you don't mind using your veins. Me? Huge needle phobia! Good luck and welcome!

Caryn

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited January 2012
    Options

Karen, you must let us know when you come to Toronto. Bathurst/401 is the area I grew up in and is only 10 minutes away from where I am now.