Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jewish Warrior Sisters

Options

Comments

• lizcarolan
    lizcarolan Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2011
    Options

Sweet potato latkes sound yummy. I'm doing home made applesauce. Not going the ready made route for the latkes, but am getting the pre shredded potatos and diced onions.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Liz I have a cuisinart for that  Tongue out
  • karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,510
    edited December 2011
    Options

Anyone have an easy, yummy sufganiot recipe?  DS asked if I was going to make them this year...its one thing that I don't have a good recipe for....Need to make them Thursday before I leave as I will be gone the first days through Shabbat Chanukah to my parents and DD and SIL....when I get home, DD#2 will be at her cousin's so want to make them so she can also enjoy.....Thought I would make them and latkes with Shabbat dinner....okay a few days early for Chanukah....but better early than late!!!!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,803
    edited December 2011
    Options

Lago, I had an uncle who was adamant that hand grating was the only way to make a proper latke. He sneered at food processors. We generally tried to ignore his anti-Cuisinart tirades.

Karen, sorry no sufganiot recipes. I tried to make them only once and they were a disaster :(

Spent the afternoon at the JCC ( my daughter and her fiancé work there) volunteering at "Hanukahpalooza", a festival for kids. They also had a holiday boutique and a high end lingerie store had a booth. I got two gorgeous Le Mystere bras, that work perfectly with my implants, for $26. each. They retail for $76. I felt really whole and "normal" when I tried them on. Almost cried. Part of the price also goes toward sending local teens to the Maccabi Games. I love shopping for a cause (disclaimer, above mentioned fiancé is teen director and head of Maccabi delegation from our JCC). Hope you all had a good weekend. Caryn

PS: last 5 rads to my hip this week. Hooray!

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi Girls,

Hope you are all doing well.  I haven't been on for a while--had to lick my wounds after my ooph/hyst and exchange.  I'm still not happy with my boobs.  I had an infection in Lefty, and now that one is up high and perky and the other is saggy.  the PS NP said the other one should drop soon, too, unless there is scar tissue.   HTG, how hard is it to get matching boobies?  

I go back to work in a month--that will be scary!

Hope you are all well and happily getting ready for Chanukah!  My hubby will make the sufganiyot this year:)! 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2011
    Options

xbrnxgrl my DM used to make me grate the potatoes with a hand grater.  I think it was all the knuckles in the batter that made them taste good (ewwwww) but I'm happy to go vegetarian and use the food processor.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi ladies. I had a great choir rehearsal tonight - we're singing for services on Friday for Chanukah (okay, in advance). I have my first chemo tx tomorrow and I'm working hard at staying calm. Friday night's service is my goal to reach for and hope that I feel fine.

I love the latke stories. I will get that applesauce recipe up... sorry for the delay!

Eema - good luck with work. It's hard once you get back, because you get sucked back up into the regular daily grind, but you already realize things are a little different. I need to start saying 'no' again for a bit!

All the best for everyone's Chanukah celebrations. My station has a special on-line stream of Chanukah music between now and Dec 27 (several of the segments hosted by me, as the staff 'expert' on Jewish music). It's at wwfm.org, and click on where it says "Chanukah Music Theme Stream" on the right side. 

• karen1956
    edited December 2011
    Options

Rachel...how are you feeling?  When is your next chemo?

I'm going to make Chanukah dinner tomorrow night for Shabbat dinner, since I won't be home for Shabbat Chanukah (I'll be in Toronto at my kids)...going to make latke, sufganiot (trying a new recipe...sure hope they come out good), brisket....DS will be home for dinner and my gf is joining us.....I leave bright and early Sunday morning and get back on the 25th...first going to S. Florida to see my parents till Th, then to Toronto to spend the week-end with my DD and SIL....so I will be gone the first 5 nights of Chanukah.....home for the last 3....DD#2 leaves the day I get home...she is going to her cousin's for 4 days...so I won't even see her for Chanukah!!!  So thats a long story of why I am doing "Chanukah" dinner early....I guess it really is just Chanukah foods....

Wishing everyone a good Shabbat....Hugs....Karen

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited December 2011
    Options

On another note, my son and his girlfriend got engaged this past weekend. An exciting time for us. We will start looking at venues next week but we have to find one that has a kosher kitchen. Just wanted to share our good news.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited December 2011
    Options

Mazal Tov on your son's engagement! That's wonderful news! Do you know yet when they're getting married?

Just popped in to see what was happening before I start cooking for Shabbat and saw this good news. My DD and her family are coming for Shabbat. We'll be a lot of people - 3 of my daughters, son-in-law, 3 grandchildren, son-in-law's brother & wife, son, son's friend, daughter's friend (and possibility of another friend). It will be fun - noisy, but fun.

Leah

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thanks, Leah. The more the merrier.....right? I think they are looking at a spring 2013 wedding but we will start looking at venues next week. My future DIL's family is from South Africa so they are expecting many out of towners. 

• rachelvk
    edited December 2011
    Options

hrf - Mazel Tov! It's always great to have good news to look ahead to. Good luck on finding a venue.

Leah - Enjoy your Shabbos family dinner. It sounds like it will be great.

Karen - Thanks for checking in. So far, so good. I'm a little tired and achy, but I've been taking the drugs they prescribe for SEs and I think I'm holding out okay (day 4 now). I actually worked 8 hours yesterday. Today will be a shorter day. I'll finish up a Chanukah special that we're airing tomorrow, and then hopefully be able to sing at services.

Shabbat Shalom, and happy Chanukah preparations to everyone. My DS is hosting a get-together next Friday, so I'll have to dig out that apple sauce recipe - I'll post it over the weekend as I promised. 

• karen1956
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hrf....mazel tov on your son's engagement....nothing like sharing happy times!!!

Rachel....glad to hear that you are doing well

I made sufganiot....and the dough came out great...now just need to go get a pastry thingy so I can fill them with jam...... Most of Shabbat dinner is made....just need to do the salads and veggies....so I think I will actually have time to get a manicure....left over gift certicate from my b'day last spring...since I won't be doing much cooking next week (I'm at my parents, then my kids), the manicure will actually last more than a day!!!

Wishing everyone a good Shabbat....Next time I check in will be Sunday from S. Florida at my parents.....Hugs

• rachelvk
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi ladies!

Here's that recipe for an apple-pear puree. It's from a cute little book called Jewish Holiday Feasts.

3 ripe Comice or Anjou pears, peeled, cored and quartered

3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and quartered

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup sugar, or to taste

Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cover/cook over medium-low heat until fruit is soft and starts to break down (about 12-14 minutes). Uncover and cook over medium-high heat until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Puree in a food processort. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I hope everyone's Chanukah preparations are successfully underway. I'm on Day 5 of my first chemo treatment, and so far, so good (tu tu tu!). I had only a slightly queasy stomach, and lots of aches, but nothing debilitating. I've been able to go to work a bit, but I've been taking it slow and getting sleep when I can. I was able to sing at services last night, and it was great.

Sending you all wishes for a Chag Sameach!

• SAB
    edited December 2011
    Options

Rachel, printing it out and making it, thank you!  I will substitute for the sugar and let you guys know how it worked out :-) My daughter is due home from art school today, friends are arriving from out of town and it is finally starting to feel like Chanukah.  I may even decorate! Chag Sameach!  

• karen1956
    edited December 2011
    Options

I'm in S. Florida at my parents....got here this afternoon....told my DH tonight that I didn't think it would feel like Chanukah here......I brought a chanukiah with me, as I wasn't sure what my parents had....turns out they have 2 kosher ones....I just remember the one I bought them when I was in high school....what did I know back then....but it isn't kosher!!!!  Dad is playing poker Tuesday night, so Mom and I are going out to eat.....wiil be strange not to be with any of the kids...but I'll be with my DD#1 and SIL for Shabbat Chanukah, then home the last days....so will be with DH and DS, but won't be with DD#2 at all as she leaves before I get home....Need to order her gift card before I forget.....

Rachel...will try the apple-pear puree when I get home...looks yummy.....

Going to call DD#2 and tell her good night, then I think I'll get some shut eye....See everyone tomorrow...Hugs

• goldie123
    goldie123 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2011
    Options

i want to wish everyone  happy chanuka and easy on the sufganiot.  we're having a big chanuka party in my house for my mother on wednesday night. she has end stage lung cancer and it's also her 91 birthday.  all the grandchildren and great grandchildren will be there except the few who are living in israel. its the only thing she is looking forwrd to, to see everyone together.  its also keeping my mind off my thursday visit with my onc. there has been slight progression shown on last week's pet scan and my doctor will discuss the next step

• rachelvk
    edited December 2011
    Options

Happy Chanukah, all!

And Goldie, it sounds like you'll have a wonderful get-together. I'll be thinking of you. 

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2011
    Options

Wishing everyone a Happy Chanukah.

I'm serving frozen latkes at my gathering.  Not as tasty but less tiime-consuming!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited December 2011
    Options

iiii|iiii Happy Chanukah iiii|iiii

I'm not making those spicy latkes till this weekend.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited December 2011
    Options

Pessa, I hope you at least defrost them first!

My son comes home from college tomorrow, and then we'll have a big family Chanuka party at my house on Monday. Taking advantage of the "Boxing Day" official holiday this year, so those people who work or have school (or also celebrate Christmas) in the family can attend. Expecting ~45 people. Good thing I have a big house!

Keep those lights shining, my friends :) 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited December 2011
    Options

Happy Chanukah to everyone! We light in about 1/2 hour.

Latkes are part of supper tonight (OK, maybe most of supper) and I'll make sufganiot later in the week. I'm going to make 2 kinds. I'll be making parve ones to have for Shabbat and also a milchig recipe because they're so good! My friend has a recipe (I think she got it on the internet) for "Krispy Kreme Doughnuts". Don't know if it's the official Krispy Kreme recipe but boy are they good. I'll try to post it here when I get the recipe from her.

Sunday we're going to visit one of my married daughters and Monday the other - hey, Savta has to spoil the grandkids a bit for Chanukah!

We have another milestone in my family on Sunday. It's my parents' anniversary and this year they celebrate 65 years! (yes that is sixty-five). It's a bit bittersweet since my mother has Alzheimer's. She'll enjoy whatever celebrations my father and sisters do (they all live in LA) but unfortunately won't remember them the next day. My father will, though, and he'll also remember her enjoyment so that's what counts.

חנוכה שמח

Leah

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited December 2011
    Options

Just stopping by to wish my Jewish sisters,

Happy Hannukah!

missing my Mom and family :(

Marcia

• karen1956
    edited December 2011
    Options

Leah....happy anniversary to your parents....Since I'm gone for the 1st days of Chanukah, I made "Chanukah" dinner for shabbat....potatoe latkes and sufganiot....a friend recommended Martha Stewart's recipe and it came out quite good....and pretty easy....who would have thought!!  And I made then pareve.....I will be with my DD and SIL in Toronto for Shabbat Chanukah...his uncle is making Shabbat dinner for the family...they are hosting it at their shul....it will be a big crowd...DD and SIL, his brother and SIL and kids, sister and BIL and kids, grandmother, aunt/uncle and their family (not sure how many kids and grands will be there), DD inlaws and grandmother in law.....I'm guessing 30+ people....Then motzei Shabbat my DD's grandmother-in-law makes a Chanukah party....so guessing I'll see more latkes and sufganiot.....Enjoy your grands....and of course safta has to spoil them....what are safta's for except to spoil grands....

Pessa....I agree with Lago, hope you defrost them first!!! actually when I read it, I thought you were serving them frozen!!!! duh!!!

Rachel....how you feeling?  Hope all goes well with the show!

As I'm in Florida, it doesn't feel like Chanukah...and just with my folks it feels different....don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to spend time with them, but its just different than being with my kids....we'll light the Chanukiahs and that will be it...but its been many years since I've been with my folks at Chanukah so that is the treat...

Orange, Goldie, SAB and all the other gals....wishes for a Happy Chanukah....I hope the Miracle of Chanukah will bring good health to us all....Hugs, Karen

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited December 2011
    Options

Happy Chanukah to all my Jewish Sisters!

I'm trying to deal with all life is throwing me right now.  Mostly good, some not so good (right implant broke free of the alloderm...), but we aren't given what we can't handle, right?

Chag sameach, metukah, v'briut!

xoxox

Eema 

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,803
    edited December 2011
    Options

Happy Chanukah to everyone! Just came back from my first Aredia infusion. Despite the initial disaster, I am so happy to have the port. The infusion itself took about 90 minutes and was not a big deal. The chemo nurse and the oncologist said it may cause bone pain and flu like symptoms, slight nausea and diarrhea in the first 24 hours. They also said it would probably not happen in subsequent infusions (monthly). So, no latkes tonight. On Thursday we are going to my future SIL's grandmother's house to celebrate with his family. My older daughter and SIL will be at my house for the last night. Life is never dull, is it?

Caryn

• lizcarolan
    lizcarolan Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2011
    Options

Happy hannukkah to all, and to all a good night.

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2011
    Options

Orangemat and Karen,

I see your point.  Let me restate---I bought frozen latkes and will, in fact, heat them up in the oven before serving.  But, now that I think about it, it'll be even less work to serve them frozen.  I'll see what works best.  ;-).  I'm having company motzei Shabbat, so will be a bit rushed........

Leah S---I'm in LA.  Where do your parents live?  What shul do they go to?  Perhaps I know them??

• SAB
    edited December 2011
    Options

Happy Hannukah!  Here's to a year of miracles big and small.  I wish each and every one of you good health and happiness, especially those who are in the middle of treatment or away from home. We lit the first candle with good friends who are visiting town, and decided as a group to go latke-less this year (though I'm thinking about experimenting with sweet potato or veggie latkes later in the week just so that I can make Rachel's apple/pear sauce to go with them!)  We had a lovely dinner that included 4 kinds of veggies, a tofu turkey and lots of laughs.  

• rachelvk
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi all, and Happy Chanukah!

I wish I could say I had a happy first night. I was on my own, and Monday was spent going to the ER twice because of possible chemo side effects (low blood iron first, then a fever). My temp was starting to edge up yesterday evening, and the idea of having to go back to the ER threw me into quite a state. My parents are 2 hours away, my boyfriend 1 hour... and there I was trying to light my Hanukkiah and I had to mumble the prayers because I was crying. Sorry to put a damper on things. I've been doing so well through all of this, and my first week of chemo was a breeze. Now I feel so helpless.

I keep trying to imagine the chemo as mini Maccabees killing off the cancer cells, though. That at least got me to chuckle last night. I will get through this. Thanks for being here to listen. Hoping this all calms down so I can really celebrate Friday with my family.