Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

racerdeb, Are you still on steroids?  They can make your heart beat faster.  If it keeps this up, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask your onc about it.

• linnyhopp
    linnyhopp Member Posts: 466
    Options

Hi to All ~ So glad to hear that the "first timers" did so well yesterday. I am hanging in there. Took a xanax last night so actually slept pretty well...except for a few potty trips from all the fluids. I do have a sore throat today and am hoping that isn't the start of something unpleasant.  I will keep drinking and hoping that relieves the feeling.  Any tips from anyone would be appreciated.

Racerdeb ~ I bought the Glutamine capsules (saw a pic of the bottle on these boards somewhere).  I hope they work as well as the powder?  I am going to take one right after I finish reading here.  I will have to send my long-suffering husband for the B-6 as I forgot to pick that up.  Thanks for the reminder.

Yaya ~ You must be over the moon to be finished with the chemo part.  I know we all are glad for you and can't wait to be where you are now.

Tipnas ~ Thanks for the heads-up on the news piece...will definitely be watching that!

Hope all of you are having a great day with little SEs and know I am thinking of all of you...will check in later.  

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments on my pics.... Just wanted to put a Face to the Name Smile I bought the wig and wore it home, that was it, She hangs on the stand and hasnt been touched in 2 months or so 
  • linnyhopp
    Options

Terry ~ I can understand your decision not to wear the wig, but it really looks great if you ever decide to use it!  I can't believe how great it looks.  Is it human hair or synthetic? You look good any way (in all 3 pics)...hoping I look 25% as good as you in all your pics! 

• Terry71
    Options

Aweeee Linny Im sure you are and do look beautiful also xx Hugs thank you

• linnyhopp
    Options

Terry ~ am very scared for the hair loss to come.  With everything we go through with this BC thing, it seems like the hair issue is the worst for so many of us.  I have a friend who has been going through chemo and she came to visit me and said it was the worst for her, too.  Well, no choice if we want to live and thrive so waiting for the countdown.  Thanks for your hugs!

• Terry71
    Options

Linny- I was scared too, All I told myself was its coming, You know its gonna happen... Take a deep breath are you going to cry oh Hell ya I did for days.... Its ok to cry, tears are NOT a sign of weakness, YOU, We are strong Vibrant women and with the right mindset we can and will get past this...... and your welcome ((((((((((Linny))))))))))) 

• racerdeb
    racerdeb Member Posts: 114
    Options

grandmaV,

Yes, I'm still on steroids through tomorrow.  I'm going to get my Neulesta injection in a little while and I'll ask my doctor about it.  Thanks for the tip.

Terry,

I'll definitely check into the tablets - not really liking the powder at all!  I have to force myself to use it.

• racerdeb
    racerdeb Member Posts: 114
    Options

Linda,

Have you chopped off your hair really short yet?  I'm glad I did.  Several people have even told me I look younger!  YES!  I understand that women find it much harder to lose their hair than their boobs.

I bought a synthetic wig, and all of my family really like the way it looks.  They couldn't believe it was a wig.  The human hair ones are really expensive.

• Terry71
    Options

Mine is synthetic, cost a few bucks but Hubby's union covered it and we were reimbursed for it..... People didnt even know it was a wig they thought I got a hair cut and colored it LOL  I was going to get a real hair one but wasnt paying 2800.00 or more for it..... 

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

Hello everyone! I haven't been to these boards for a while. Oncologist appointment Tuesday, Expander appointment today-Wednesday. I need to know if I am reading correctly. Is Claritan being prescribed for joint pain or something else? My left groin/hip area and thigh is aching terribly. I have the mouth sores and drink lots of water and use the mouthwash. This is the first day for the ache so I haven't taken anything yet.

About the port, mine is by my right shoulder blade. It is tender and aches sometimes. I had my first chemo treatment the day after surgery so the needle was still in place. Now, I am anxious about getting the treatment through the port. If any of you have had this done, how does it feel? I thought just getting through the first treatment would be rough and now I am worried about this. I have a HUGE fear of needles and don't know if I will get over it any time soon! Did any of you by the cream to numb the port?

• GrandmaV
    Options

bethu77,

Many take the claritan for the bone pain after a neulasta shot.  I'm not sure it would help for bone pain from chemo.  My onc said for that to take tylenol.  I also have some lortabs left over from surgery and he said I could take that instead.  Did you have the neulasta shot? If so claritan might help.

I show up for my chemo tx 30 minutes early and have the nurses put some numbing cream on my port.  It takes that long for it to work.  I know others have said their onc gives them a prescription for it and they put it on themselves before they leave home.  Call your onc and see if they have it at your center or if you need to get some.

• GrandmaV
    Options
    Tipnas and cliareinaz, hope everything goes well tomorrow for your 2nd tx and few SEs afterward
  • bethu77
    Options

I had the neulasta shot last Wednesday after my Tuesday treatment. I have a friend who purchased the numbing cream so I'll get some from her. I have Lortab to take but my husband works second shift and I don't like to take any meds that will completely knock me out when I am home alone. He just called and I told him if it still hurt when he got home, I would take the pain med. I didn't think the bone pain would come a week after treatment.

My regimen now is chemo one week, expander fill the next. I think I may get over my fear of needles. I got my wig today. My hair has always been very fine and I have always wanted reddish hair and I am finally gettin it! My sister and I look like twins when I wear the wig.

I can finally drink coffee again and taste the food I am eating. The weekend was horrible but my stomach is so much better.

How's your stomach GrandmaV?

• bahamamom3
    bahamamom3 Member Posts: 275
    Options

It is taxotere and cytoxan.  Which do you take? 

• bahamamom3
    bahamamom3 Member Posts: 275
    Options

It was great to see that someone else is scared of needles.  Are you like me in wondering what you must have done to deserve all these needles?  Bone scan, CT scan, Muga heart scan, blood tests, IV's for surgery, now the port.  I am getting one next Monday and not very happy about it.  Everyone says that the port is great, but It is freaking me out just thinking about it.  Plus, I found out that they don't put you to sleep, so now I am worried about being awake during the port placement.  Every time I have to have something else done, my first thought is whether or not a needle is involved. 

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

GrandmaV thanks for the encouragement.  I'm excited to get another treatment out of the way, but a little apprehensive now that I know the cycle.  Hopoefully SEs won't be too bad.  I"m going to ask about prescription mouth wash this time.  At my last treatment the port was placed the day before, so I was treatment ready with a little catheter sticking out.  I hadn't thought about them sticking a needle in  my port, I hope they have the numbing cream!! I'm so glad you're getting to enjoy feeling good.  Doesn't it really make you really appreciate the little things?

bethu77 I just read your post asking the same question.  (must be the steroids!!!) Hopefully, we won't feel a thing!

I'm also reading the hair or lack thereof thread.  Mine is soooo thin now and falling out everywhere, but I'm still trying to hold out for a bit.  I had a big meltdown  yesterday and sobbed my eyes out after I washed my hair and it literally came out in chunks.   It wasn't just losing my hair, which is a big deal, I just felt really sad because now this thing I'm going through feels very real and I can no longer say it's not happening to me.  However, I do have some really cute hats and Linda, I'm getting my wig on Saturday! Terry I smiled to myself when you said you hardly ever wore yours!  Now I've just got to think of a name for it ..... !!

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options
    bethu77, my onco prescribed the cream.  on the tube it says "lidocaine and prilocaine cream, 2.5%, 2.5%."  the manufacturer is Fougera.  i put it on fairly thick and then covered it with plastic wrap an hour before i was to get it accessed.  i actually forgot it this last time so she sprayed me with that freeze stuff and i hated it.  it felt like over-kill!  i never had any pain when my port was accessed after using the cream.  after they access the port it's all smooth sailing.  i never felt a thing with the chemo going in or with the flushes.  don't get me wrong ... i don't like the port, but i'm so grateful that i have it.  good luck!  let us know how you do.
  • sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options

Allagashmag:

I have my second treatment next Wednesday.  Are you by chance on TC?  If so, have you lost your hair yet.  My hair is slowly coming out...

• bethu77
    Options

bahamamom- I had outpatient surgery for my port. Thank God I was asleep! I think we will get over our fear of needles...at least I hope we do!!!!

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Sorry, I feel like I'm talking a lot! Blame those steroids again!  My 16 yr old daughter just texted me from the gym and said "there is a lady exercising here who's lost her hair and is wearing a scarf.  You can do it too!!"  Losing my hair is worth it for all the love and encouragement I'm getting from her right now!!

• linnyhopp
    Options

Terry ~ I know that it will be traumatic and I keep looking for hairs on the pillow even though it was only Monday for the first chemo.  I wonder if it would be better to just get it shaved when I pick up my wig on next Monday? 

Deb ~ Since I was diagnosed in August, I have had 2 haircuts...had stylist cut it shorter, but it seems to grow faster right now just to defy me!  LOL!  I haven't had color since then so it's drab, and as I told everyone, I am trying not to LIKE my hair.  Unfortunately, for me, the style is exactly what I have wanted for years so hopefully by buying the wig that looked most like it the transition won't be as traumatic...NOT!  But, I will kick, scream and cry and then move on I guess.

Tipnas ~ I know your wig will be great.  Patty really does have a knack with people who need her.  Tell her I will see her on Monday morning!  Sounds like you are at the point where the wig is going to be used right away.  Like I posted above, I don't know what to do about shaving my head or waiting through Thanksgiving.  Decisions, decisions.  Sorry that you had to go through the meltdown.  I am sure most of us do and I am definitely not looking forward to that time.  I have gotten the sense from so many who have been through it already that the anticipation is the worst...that's what I am hoping for.  I have a picture of me in my wig when I tried it on and it looks pretty good... hoping it isn't just my imagination.  So glad your daughter is so supportive of you.  It helps when people you love are there for you.  I truly know what you mean about the hair making it seem so real.  Somehow even my surgery scars don't seem as real as thinking about the hair loss.  Seems kind of trite in the whole scheme of having BC, but I think the mirror shows things that make it all too real.  Somehow, I know we will get through it, but feel the same as you.

Hoping everyone is doing well with minimal side effects.  If I can get through with just the sore throat thing and the fatigue, I will consider myself lucky.  And since that xanax worked for sleeping last night I have another thing to be grateful for...take care to all and hugs your ways.

• Terry71
    Options

linny- Hun that is totally up to you and  100% your call..... The way I looked at it was I was In control, I decided when it was going to go........ When it started to fall out in chunks GONE!!!!! I will post the one and only pic of my head when it started to fall out..... Let yourself know its YOU thats in control of what happens and when.... <3 

• GrandmaV
    Options

bethu77, My stomach is great now.  Thanks for asking.   I was able to eat normal food today. Including meat  and fish.  I didn't get a neulasta shot, so can't say when the bone pain comes, someone else might know.

bahamamom, I had my port put in when I had my surgery, but I know others have had it later, and were awake.  I think racerdeb could probably tell you more about that.  I think you'll be fine and glad you have it. 

Tipnas, I know what you mean about feeling good.  I know I'll never take it for granted again.  I had a square of dark chocolate  after dinner tonight and savored every bite.  The little things are so good.  BTW, like YaYa I didn't feel anything with the numbing cream on.  I just looked the other way and took a deep breath when they told me too and pleasantly surprised when she said, "it's in".  I haven't started loosing any hair yet. It's day 12 so I know it's coming.

• Terry71
    Options
  • bethu77
    Options

I had my meltdown this past weekend. I cried all day Sunday but this week has been better. I very seldom get sick and these side effects are getting to me. My plastic surgeon says, "this too shall pass" and I need to believe in these words. We all need something to hold on to. Blessings to all of you. I hope each of you have a great night's sleep!

• linnyhopp
    Options
    Terry ~ Thanks for posting the picture.  I don't know if I can handle the "big hunks" thing.  I will see how I feel as the time approaches.  A friend of mine said the hunks falling out really bothered her.  It's such a personal thing.  My hair isn't as long as yours was, but still...thanks, again.
  • Terry71
    Options

You are very welcome linny.... and remember ITS YOU thats in control...... You have it, it DOESNT have you ((((((((Linny))))))))))  that pic is after 2 hair cuts 24 inches cut off then shaved....

• linnyhopp
    Options
    Terry ~ Wow, girl...you had some HAIR!  And you are right, I have to remember as you pointed out that I have control!  ((((((Terry))))) back atcha!
  • attypatty
    attypatty Member Posts: 4
    Options

I had my first chemotherapy treatment today - dose dense AC. I was given Zofran, Decadron, and Emend before the treatment and took another dose later at home. I finished chemo around 1pm. It's now 7pm and I feel nauseous. Does that seem a little soon? Maybe I'm just a fast woman? Maybe the kids in high school were right!