Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266
    Options

Evening Ladies, I had a very busy steriod infused day!! Cleaned house, paid bills, shopping for the after chemo stuff, updated my Ipad with a new book and music. DH took me out to a nice dinner and now I am trying to relax my jitters for tomorrow. I will have my Ipad to surf, read or just listen to music.. depending on how I feel.

Trinity, sending you peace and strength..do not be ashamed to cry.. I teared up a few times today. Just know I am here going through this with you.. tomorrow is another day.. [[[[hugs]]]]

Racerdeb, I believe you are the other Nov 15 girl, sending you good vibes for tomorrow. [[[hugs]]]

Gamegirl, so happy things went well for your today!! You have been through so much..glad things "went well"..

To everyone else, I cannot tell you how much your info and good words have added to my calm state..It's all good!! Today was wonderful, full of happy smiles, conversation and good friends.. Tomorrow is another day to experience with all the strength I have received from knowledge!! Let's do this!!!

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

linnyhopp, So glad that your 1st tx was drama free.  I took the anti-nausea meds for 3 days, then began to taper off and continued to take them when I would feel a twinge of queasy for 4 more days.  I hope your SEs are few.

Lory, I'm sure you and Trinity will both sail through tomorrow with ease.  I hope so.

I have felt really good today and I think maybe I can look forward to the next 11 days, until my next TC, being normal.  I hope so.  My poor dog is feeling a little neglected.  We usually go for walks every day and I'm going to try to do that until next tx and get back into a normal routine.  I hope every one has a good night.  Hugs to all

• Lory48
    Options

So sometime between now and the next 24 hrs my oldest boy heads out once again. Can't say exactly when or where.. I talked to him today, which we both ended the call with.. be tough, be safe, hugs, love and prayers.. Gosh being a military mom is rough!!

• linnyhopp
    linnyhopp Member Posts: 466
    Options

Trinity ~ Having had my first treatment today, I can truly and honestly tell you that the anticipation IS worse than actually being through it.  I don't know what the next few days will hold for me as far as SE's, but I can tell you that it is at least a HUGE relief to have one treatment over and done with.  I wish you all the best tomorrow.  You will do fine.  I wil be thinking of you and sending positive vibes, hugs and praryers your way. 

Lory & Racerdeb ~ Will also be thinking the same for both of you.  I know you will both do fine...if I can get through it, anyone can!  Yes, we have a ways to go, but just being proactively doing something to make sure we regain our health is such a positive step.  Here I go, Pollyanna again...but while I know how nervous, scared and anxious we all can be, I think having the courage to get up each day and do what is necessary proves that all BC women(and men) are brave souls!  And Lory...no one is braver than a military man with a military mom or wife.  Thank your son for doing what he does each day for all of us, OK?

Take care and good night to all of you.

• Lory48
    Options

Oh I am chatty.. I have a question for those of you that have started.. what did you eat in the AM before your treatment??

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi Gamergirl, like all the other ladies, I'm so glad your treatment went well today and hope your SEs are minimal.

Sueshane, glad to hear your arm is healing.  It's hard enough to deal with the effects from chemo, I can't imagine coping with a painful arm too!

Oh Lory you have a lot going on but your attidude sounds really good.  I wish you all the best tomorrow and you're right knowledge gives us strength to get through what we have to

Linda, you made it through your first treatment! I didn't apologize to my hair and I'm now desperataely trying to hold out on buzzing it all off.  It's falling out everywhere, what a mess.  I live in PQ, so not so far from you!  I hope you sleep well tonight.

• Tipnas
    Options

Lory, I just ate my regular breakfast and brought some snacks to eat in the treatment room.  It might be a long day and you could get hungry. They also had snacks in the treatment room.  Just remember to drink lots.  They infused the anti-nausea meds before they gave me the chemo and I did fine.

• linnyhopp
    Options

Just can't seem to "come down" from the steroids tonight so may be checking all night to see if anyone else is still up and posting...LOL!

Lory ~ I was sort of afraid to eat but decided to have a bagel for breakfast today and was glad I had eaten as it was such a long day.  I also took some crackers to snack on and some animal crackers.  Yes, way too many carbs I know, but was afraid of what the reaction might have been with anything besides comfort foods.  Luckily it went fine.  My husband went and got us sandwiches and I had a turkey with no veggies...have been warned by those on these boards as well as the chemo nurses to be very careful about eating anything that could have bacteria from restaurants while in treatment.  Hope it all goes so well for you tomorrow.

Tipnas ~ I know my hair will be falling off in hunks in a couple of weeks.  Picking up my wig from an awesome lady who is a cancer survivor herself. She lives in Carlsbad and has a business on line and works from her home.  Hope it looks believable on me!  Did you mean Penasquitos?  You are really close to me if that's the case.  Thanks for the sleep karma.  Hope it clicks in soon.   

• Lory48
    Options

Thank you Tipnas.. so eggs turkey sausage and toast are a go.. ohh and my coffee..

• Tipnas
    Options

Linda is it Pattispearls? I'm getting my wig there and just love her!! Yes, I live in Penasquitos

• linnyhopp
    Options

Yes, it is Pattispearls...she is great, isn't she?  I love the way she cuts the hairline so it looks real...at least I hope it does!  I am picking up my wig next Monday.  I am also getting a "halo" for with hats.  I am thinking of getting a second wig (shorter) so I can transition when my hair finally starts to grow.  At work everyone knows, so it might be fun to just have a change, too.  We'll have to see how the budget goes with the holidays so close.  Let me know when you are getting your wig, OK?  We will be ravishing I am sure!

• gamergirl
    gamergirl Member Posts: 53
    Options

Kim137, I sure hope all goes well with you on Thursday.  So far, I haven't really had any SE's, other then I am a bright red tomato.  I look so healthy, like I've spent alot of time in the sun.  Bit of nausea, but I'm taking meds as directed so it is minimal.  Of course, by tonight, who knows :-)

I wish I could give each and everyone of you a big hug.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your support.  I really like to read everyone's experiences and it gives me such good information.  I don't know how I'd get through this if I didn't have the expertise we find with each other! 

• GrandmaV
    Options

gamergirl,  I'm glad you're finally getting a break from all the bad luck.  I hope you continue to have no SE's.  You deserve a break.  I probably can speak for the other ladies here, that we wish we could give you a big hug.

I'm feeling great today.  My one little complaint is that the inside of my nose is a little sore, but I read on another thread to use aquaphor on a q-tip and swab inside nose, and it works wonders.  If I could do cartwheels, I would, I feel so good.

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hello Ladies....Had my second AC treatment yesterday (11/14) Hurray, 2 down 6 to go!! :O)  Side effects a little more noticeable this time....really needed the nausea meds this time and had heartburn last night; could have been the chili for dinner (not the wisest choice)   And I woke up with REALLY puffy eyes (anybody else with this??) So with the giant bags under my eyes and bald head I truly look FABULOUS (sheesh!)  Leaving soon for my neulasta shot...no problem the first time; hopefully the same this time but not counting on it!  My prayers are with all of you starting treatments this week...you're just that much closer to being finished.  Hugs to all OXOXOXO

Kathy:O)

• gamergirl
    Options

Kathy, I'm glad your second does is done!  1/3 of the way there.  I am still waiting for any SE's from my first AC dose yesterday.  I'm still feeling just fine.  I don't think it will last much longer though :-)

I'm jealous you get Neulasta.  I get the 7 day neupogen.  Kaiser is cheap that way.   

• GrandmaV
    Options

Kathy, sheesh is right.  This seems a little crazy at times, when you stop and think about it.  I haven't lost my hair, yet, but I feel it's looming on the horizon.  Itching like crazy.  I imagine I'll look like Mrs. Jabba the Hutt when it does.  I hope you can manage your SEs ok.  Hey, you're halfway through with your AC.  That's great.  Then on to T, right?  You're really making progress.  Thumbs up.

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    Options

Kathy: Ive had swollen eyes too looks like ive been crying all night and crusty goop YUCK....... Hugs to all who are having treatment today and this week.. My LAST one is This thursday Nov 17th........ Confirmed by my MO yesterday woohooo... Im NOT leaving all you wonderful ladies though, you have all been a great help through my journey and for this I thank you from the bottom of my heart  <3

• GrandmaV
    Options

Terry, Congratulations on making it to the end.  That's great.

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    Options

GrandmaV: Thank you so much, Im so excited to be done but NOT looking forward to the se's for 10 days :-(     that part is gonna be rough........ xx

• boxcars072000
    boxcars072000 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Grandma V i Missed you asking about the nausea meds, and yes I finally got some after two days. I hope you are feeling better. Is anyone else having chemo and radiation at the same time? I thought you would at least get abreak btwen the two. They want to try to start rad after my next chemo. Both at same time? Really freaked out about the lymphedema stuff, but I have anxiety isues, lol.

Love to all

Connie

• linnyhopp
    Options

Hoping everyone who is starting/having treatment does well today.  I am now on day 2 (had my first yesterday) and like you Boxcars - having anxiety issues about what is going to happen and when...tick, tick, tick...feel like a bomb that might go off any time...LOL!  Will check in later to see how everyone is doing and thinking only positive thoughts for all of us!  Hugs, Linda

• GrandmaV
    Options

Connie,  I've never known anyone doing rads at the same time as Chemo, but I'm still fairly new at this too.  I wonder if you could ask that question on one of the radiation threads.  They might know.

Linda, For me for the first 8 days the Se's I experienced just builded, with the 8th being the worst and then began to taper for the next 2.  So I'm preparing for next time for the 10 days of SEs.  Today the 11th day after 1st tx I feel real good.  Went for a walk, and been trying to do normal things, but the fatigue has hit me this afternoon so will have to have a nap. 

• racerdeb
    racerdeb Member Posts: 114
    Options

I survived my first treatment!  I just got home at 4:00P after arriving at the doctor's office at 9:15A (almost seven hours later!). 

Everything went really well today.  I started off with the vital signs check and a blood draw for the BRAC test.  I just want to make sure that's not a possible future problem.

I took my first Emend tablet (nausea medication) around 10:15A and started my IV drips about 15 minutes later - had IVs for TCH, along with Benadryl and another anti-nausea drug.  They also gave me some steroid and Tylenol pills.

It went really smoothly, and I love having the port. 

I got a little sleepy (probably from the Benadryl), but I didn't take a nap.  I enjoyed talking with the nurses in the center, and I even met someone in the treatment center who knows several of my cousins. As I was leaving, I also saw a couple of old friends that I hadn't seen in years.  It was a good day!

I go back for my Neulesta injection tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not having any SEs right now, and I'm like Linda - waiting to see when it will all hit me.

It's great having friends and "co-chemo" friends on this message board.  I hope to continue hearing how things are going with all of you!

• gamergirl
    Options

RacerDeb, I'm so glad everything went well!  I think it's a huge relief to get past that first treatment.  I'm sitting here just waiting for the SE's to hit now too.  It's the strangest feeling!  Hopefully your injection will go well, and your SE's will be light! 

• racerdeb
    Options

gamergirl,

I'm glad your treatment went well also!  I agree that the waiting has been the hard part so far - waiting for the first treatment and then waiting for the SEs to hit. 

We will get through this mess together!!  Thanks for sharing your experiences so far.

• racerdeb
    Options

Linda,

It's great to hear that you're not having many SEs yet.  Maybe you'll get lucky and have minimal (or no) SEs.  However, my oncologist said that most of the SEs start around the 4th day after chemo and last for about 2-3 days.  We'll see how it goes, but I'm expecting my weekend to be a bit rough.  For me, this schedule works because my husband can be here to support me on weekends. Also, It's not racing season yet, so my job is not a big factor right now (will be a concern starting in March).

Take care and keep in touch.  I'm sending hugs your way!

• linnyhopp
    Options

Gamergirl & Racerdeb ~ So glad you gals are though with your first infusions.  It truly is such a relief to know that you are on with the next part of the journey, isn't it?  As for the SE's, as of right now I haven't had it too bad.  I did take the Zofran as a precaution and it seems to have worked.  My stomach feels "weird" but I can't really describe it...sort of a bit of pain, but nothing significant and am hoping it doesn't progress.  I had the red face, but e-mailed MO and he said that is typical from the chemo drugs so I won't worry about that right now.  One less thing to worry about...yippee!  Hoping nothing else happens, but like you said RacerDeb.,,,"We will get through this mess together."  Take care of yourselves (all of you wonderful pals) and hope the time we are doing treatments goes fast, fast, fast!  Linda

• linnyhopp
    Options

Racerdeb ~ Just saw your second post to me.  Thanks for the good wishes.  So, I am guessing that Friday, Saturday and Sunday may be the challenging days for me this week.  When I move to the regular Tuesday appointments, it looks like the weekend will still be affected.  Oh well, I guess it is what it is at this point.  Hoping NONE OF US have significant issues whenever they are supposed to show up.  Thanks, again, and relax tonight...we have made it through our first time!  Hugs...

• Timbuktu
    Timbuktu Member Posts: 1,423
    Options

I had my second infusion of CMF Monday.  I was fine until Wednesday.  It lasted for a few days.

Nausea, fatigue, etc.  The Zofran and Reglan help.  So far I have only had to take each one time after the infusions.  It is a strange feeling.  My morning sickness was much worse but this is different.  Pretzels and ginger ale helped.  

Today is a week and one day later and I'm feeling so much better.  

• Lory48
    Options

I am home from my first chemo treatment. Arrived at 8 am, blood draw, Onc visit, then hooked up to start therapy. Pre chemo meds, then the chemo. I also had a visit with the wound nurse. My SNB incision opened up a bit during the night after the end nots from the sutures were cut yesterday. I have been sweating horribly from the steroids, and a few of the seristrips came lose which led to it opeing a bit,(blood and fluid) So now am re-steristripped along with antibiotics for the possibilty of infection per Onc. Also popped into see my surgeon so he could have a look. I have a follow up with him to recheck it next week.

Nuelasta shot tomorrow afternoon..I read somewhere that some ladies are using claritan for the bone pain?? but now I cannot seem to locate them again..humm

It's now almost 5 and I am pooped!