Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• bullwinkl4
    bullwinkl4 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Morning ladies, has anyone else had a really hard time sleeping? Waking up in sweats, bad dreams, and just plain tossing and turning. Also, my whole scalp hurts. It is only day seven, but I feel like my hair is pulled up in a tight pony tail...it is so sore...

Hope everyone is having a good day :)

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    Options

Good Morning bullwinkl4,

Sorry you are having a hard time sleeping.  Surprisingly, I am sleeping very well and seem to have good energy during the day.  Has your scalp starting itching yet?  I took the plunge this morning.  I was doing it "my way" and my long hair was so snarled and such a rats nest that I had my partner cut it this morning after shampooing.  To get all the snarls out he had to cut it up to my ears.  First time in 45 years I have seen it so short but you know what, it was not traumatic at all for me and actually I feel so much better now.  It is cute right now, before I go bald that is, and I feel very perky with it; it was actually a liberating experience.  One more hurdle crossed.  One thing that I have done (not every night but on nights where I have felt a bit down during the day) is take one of my anti-anxiety pills that my doctor prescribed for me.  She said being depressed and anxious would not help the healing process and she had no issues with prescribing it.  However,  I sleep well on nights that I do not take it too.  Been fortunate that way.  Three more days of feeling good and then another treatment on Monday, the 14th.

GrandmaV - sorry to hear about the diarrhea.  How are you feeling today?   Sending you all peace and healing thoughts. 

• CHH
    CHH Member Posts: 24
    Options

Headed for Chemo education today -- expect to start next week. Looking foward to the support and sharing here. Overwhelming.

• attypatty
    attypatty Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi, all! I am starting my chemo next Wednesday, Nov. 16. I will be having A-C for 4 cycles (2 months) then taxol for 3 months. Here's my question to all of you - have you looked at all the anit-nausea, anti-inflammatory drugs your doc is likely to give you to counteract the SE of chemo? It seems to me that those drugs can cause some nasty SEs of their own! Side effects from the drugs to counteract the side effects of chemo! YUK!! One of the drugs my doc has prescribed is a steroid. The last thing I want it to be bald and fat! I know I can't avoid the hair loss, and frankly I don't care about that. I think I can even put up with nausea. But the possible weight gain, constipation, increased appetite from some of the SE drugs are things I do not want. Has anyone done the chemo without taking all these other SE drugs?

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    Options

Rachael thanks for the advice about the olive oil.  I'll have to give it a try.  Between the antibiotic I'm taking and the chemo nothing tastes good.

Bullwinkle I'm also waking up in sweats.  I'm also dreaming more that I remember other times. 

Attypatty I'm on a steriod too for the side effects.  I have noticed some weight gain through them too.  I'm trying not to eat as much as I did before.  Hopefully by next summer we all be through this and lose that extra weight we put on.

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266
    Options

Hello Ladies, This week has been crazy to say the least. Monday MRI, found 2 new spots in the same breast. Tuesday, another couple biopsies, yesterday SNB and port placement. While I was in surgery, Radiologist called DH to let us know the biopsies were B9. Today I am uber sore for all the procedures. DH is off work today to get some chores and shopping done, his Mom is flyin tonight for the weekend. We have not seen her in 3 yrs..

Tuesday I start chemo.. getting ramped up for that

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

Hello everyone! I had my first Neulasta injection yesterday. It wasn't too bad. I think it is because my husband washed my hair for me and that makes everything better for meLaughing I can shower today since my port was put in Monday and the chemo started on Tuesday. I sleep but wake up each time I move because of the expanders. I am just not with it today as much as I would like to be but I will get over it and soon I hope! This week has been a busy one. I drive 70 miles for treatment--Well, my sister drives me!--and I stay at her house until my husband picks me up when he gets off work at midnight.

bullwinkl4--I have several sweating episodes during the day and night. The first night after chemo, my husband had to turn on the fan so I could sleep comfortably.

Tammie--My daughter asked about putting ice on the scalp to stop the hair loss. My onco said it would only make your head cold. Is this what you meant by cold caps?

GrandmaV--I am on an antibiotic for my port surgery which can cause diahhrea and it says chemo can cause constipation. Do you think our bodies will ever get used to this routine?

To everyone, I have called my sister Lucy for several years and she calls me Ethel. I am so blessed to have her. We had a cry day yesterday on our way to get my injection. We lost both of our parents to cancer and this is my second time. She says she will be with me every step of the way. I pray that each of you have a Lucy in your lives!

I had two cups of coffee this morning. It wasn't too bad. I have eaten toast and cereal. I am thinking mashed potatoes sound good for a snack. I also bought Vanilla Whey Protein. I had to have a lot of protein last time during my radiation treatments. I have a generic magic bullet that makes great smoothies. My onco nurse said this would be a good way to get some healthy nutrition.

I am so thankful for each of you in this group. You have all helped me so much. My first time with cancer, I was in a take charge, not going to stop mood but this time, I just wasn't prepared for bilateral mastectomies, expanders, port surgery, chemo and all the pills. I have gone from taking two pills per day to 8-9! I get stuck with needles each week too. I really should grow out of my fear of needles before this is over and hopefully soon.

• bullwinkl4
    Options

So I drove today and went to get gas. First time driving in a week! Stopped to get a wig comb and literally thought I was going to pass out in the store! I thought I was feeling ok and BOOM it just hits me like a ton of bricks! I keep telling myself that I am not going to let this get me down...but some days it is really really tough! Glad to have other girls to talk to that are going through the same thing..

bethu77, thank gosh for your sister! Such a great thing to have such a special bond and for her to be so loving and caring <3

Lory48, good luck on Tuesday, and let us know how it gos :-)

LynMichel, Hate not getting a full nights sleep! We had flannel sheets on, and I had to take those suckers off! Also, I feel like all of a sudden I am starting to eat more..not that it is a bad thing..but don't want to gain to much weight!

attypatty, good luck on Wed! I think everyone is different when it comes to the SE's....I was and am still really worried about SE's....I think the anticipation was way worse for at least the first treatment. Just hoping each one stays about the same. The nurse did say that the fatigue will def incease..which sucks!

Allagashmaggie, My scalp hurts and itches! im glad you like you haircut! I got mine cut a few weeks ago...but it has beed hurting the past couple days...like bad!

• boxcars072000
    boxcars072000 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Tipnas,

Believe it or not, my onc never said a word about taking anything for bone pain, said no when i asked about steriods, but i was already taking zyrtec, so just decided to keep taking it. My wrists and hips hurt the worst, but i have carpal tunnel and degenerative bone disease. i am really starting to not like my onc. But not like I have a big choice.Lynmichael, hope you thumb is better- I reaked leaves second day after shemo and got blisters .... lol lots of antibiotic ointment. Grandma V. I hope you feel lots better. Hug to all> I have a onc appt. tommorrow- and I think i am gonna tell her she better start being straightforward with me on some of this. Oh and Kim, I did the same thing with my hair- made me feel so much better- and then found a awesome wig its too cool.Believe me it helps.

(((((Hugs))))) Connie

• linnyhopp
    linnyhopp Member Posts: 466
    Options

Hello to everyone...this is my first post as you can see.  I am not happy to be joining in as you can imagine, but am amazingly grateful that there is a place for all of us to share.  I had my surgery on October 6th and am scheduled to start chemo (TCH X 6) on Monday, 11/14.  I am scared but as some of you have said, will be glad to get it started and finished as soon as possible.  I have been (I am sure) driving my oncologist nuts by asking so many questions about info I have found on here for dealing with SEs.  I am pretty sure he might be trying to ban me from e-mailing him at this point.Wink  Anyway, I just want to thank all of you for all the info you share and especially for the positive attitude you are all keeping in spite of what is going on in your lives.  Thanks for being there!  Linda

• bethu77
    Options

Welcome Linda and I am sorry this is a group you have to join. My oncologist has been very patient with mine and my caregivers questions. I hope he understands how scary this is to you and takes time to answer all your questions. Everyone here helped me so much with answers to questions that I didn't know I had! The most important thing I read was...the anticipation was so much worse than the actual treatment.

Keep posting and reading and we will get through this together!

Beth

• Nell2109
    Nell2109 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks YaYa5.  

My oncotype score was a 24.  But let me start from the beginning in as to why I am questioning chemo.  The day after I was released for my BMX I was re-admitted for kidney and bladder issues.  I was visited by my PS and BS.  Well my final path came back and my BS told me that she had to call me with good news after the week I had. So...she said that margins were clear and no chemo.  I WAS ON TOP OF THE WORLD.  (Backing up a little)...I was somehow convinced by my breast navigator that I would not like the onco that my BS refers her patients to and she suggested another Dr. in his group.  So I went with him.  I had a follow up with my BS and when I told her what he said...you could see the look in her face like whaaaaat.  But of course they are not going to bad talk or step on each others toes.  (Back to present) so I meet with him and his first response was ok let's go ahead and get you set up for chemo...(the look on my face).  Umph?  No other suggestions, options, the choice is yours Nell.  Nothing.  So then he offered the Oncotype test.  Ok let's do it.  The last words he said to me at that visit was if it comes middle or high chemo is the route to take.  So he calls with the results and says so when do you want to get started.  What...really?  I thought this was about me not you.  All this to say...I am getting a second opinion in a couple of weeks.  I don't understand why my BS would step out of the realm of her expertise (a surgeon) to call and tell me no chemo if she didn't think is was necessary.  She is very active in BC research and she herself had BC.  I have known her for years.  She removed a lump from my breast (benign) about 10 years ago and I trust her and her judgment.  

El-jaye:

I am praying for you and wish you a speedy recovery.

LynMichel:

Tsk...tsk...you know better. Wink I am also praying for your speedy recovery. 

GranndmaV:

Prayers for you.  Sending hugs your way.  Take it easy kiddo.  

I am praying for all my BC sisters.  Hang in there! 

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    Options

Hi Ladies, Just stopping in to see how everyone is doing. Im feeling so much better the last 4 days and Im excited about it... My LAST treatment is on Nov 17th Im happy for that but not looking forward to the other stuff, Mast and rads ;-( Im so scared about the mast its unreal.... BUT to bring the chance of reoccurance to 2% is better than NOT getting it right?????? We are having cake on the last day, my nurse has been awesome and we have became very close friends, she actually lives up the road from me and comes over to visit and we hang out....Hope everyone is doing well with treatments and se's, thats one thing I will NOT miss LOL but have 1 more round of them after my last neulasta shot Friday they last for 10 days, Gonna try the Claratin this time, wish I knew about it before LOL.....Have a great evening my pink sisters <3 hugs to all

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi Girls,  Had my blood work done today, everything  A-okay  I guess I have to do this before each treatment.  2nd AC is scheduled for 11/14.  I'm ready!  Today I had absolutely had it with what was left of my hair....got in the shower and it was coming out in HANDFULS (i'm not kidding!)  So I cut off all the rest of the pitiful clumps and now i have a nice fuzzy head.  I thought it would be horrible, but oddly wasn't!  In a weird way I kind of like it.  The fuzz will probably be gone in a day or two and that's okay.  This is such a "weird trip" we are all on!  Hugs to all OXOXO

Kathy :O)

• knebel22
    knebel22 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hello ladies

Day 6 after first chemo and first time not feeling good. Worst part is that I can't remember if I took a pill for the nausea. I had the port put in Tuesday. Long day for a 1/2 hour procedure. My chest looks like it was beat up. I worked the past two days and am grateful to have tomorrow off. My calendar is marked to shave my head and I ordered 5 hats.

I did notice as others have said, my tea just doesn't taste the same. Sometimes neither does water.

I know this will pass.

Nice to know that I can come here. Thanks November ladies.

Denise

• racerdeb
    racerdeb Member Posts: 114
    Options

I will start my TCH chemo treatments next Tuesday, November 15, so I'd also like to be a part of this thread.  I had my port implanted yesterday, so I guess I'm about as ready as I'll ever be to get started.

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266
    Options

Welcome Racecar grandma.. we are sharing dates.. I had my port yesterday and will be starting Tuesday as well... hugs to you!!

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

LJ,  I hope your scans come back normal.  I know your son is worried about you.  Is he staying with one of your daughters? 

LynMichel, So sorry to hear about getting an infection from gardening.  That's a good reminder for all of us.  I washed my car today and didn't even think about putting on gloves, or sunscreen for that matter. 

Ya Ya and tipnas,  thank you, I am feeling better.  I was able to eat some today, including a piece of chicken my DH brought home from Church's chicken.  Drinking better too.  It felt good to get outdoors and wash the car. (Mainly I just held a hose and sprayed the leaves off of it) Glad you're feeling almost normal, Tipnas.

rachelvk, it's good to hear from you.  How are you?  At least you don't have to move at the end of the year.  It was nice of your landlord to give you six months to recuperate.

• racerdeb
    Options

Lory48,

It will be interesting to share our first chemo experience together.  Be sure to let me know how you're doing next week.

• GrandmaV
    Options

bullwinkl4,  I've been having lots of trouble sleeping, until last night.  My scalps been itching, but not hurting.  I haven't been away from the house much, I can feel ok for a while then I'm running to the bathroom again.  So I'm afraid to get too far from the house.

Allagashmaggie, Great to hear you're sleeping good.  My onc said I could take tylenol p.m. but nothing stronger.  Hope your next treatment goes well.

CHH,  Thank you for joining us.  Let us know when you know something for sure.

attypatty, The only thing I've had to take so far is compazine (nausea), immodium (diarrhea), and tylenol for bone pain.  I've heard that it's best to be proactive with nausea.  I guess it's much better to prevent it, then try to control it, once you have it. 

Lory, so glad to hear about your B9 spots.  I'm sure that's a relief.  It's great that your husband and MIL will be able to support you.

Beth, it sounds like cancer just won't leave your family alone.  You've been through so much already.  Hang in there.  Just try to imagine Allagashmaggie's figurine she got as a gift of a woman warrior with a sword.  That's you.  You got what it takes.

• GrandmaV
    Options

boxcars, Did you ever get a new nausea medicine?  I hope all goes well at doctors tomorrow.

linnyhopp, Thank you for joining us. We're on the same regimen.  I started 11/4 and didn't do too bad until night before last when diarrhea got to me, but I'm better now.  Are you getting herceptin every week?  I go tomorrow for herceptin only.

Nell, That's a hard decision.   But something to think about, is that this is your chance to fight this.  From what I've read, the first time is the most important, in terms of fighting the cancer.  24 is not high but it is middle.   You want to do everything you can to keep it from coming back.  If you need to, get a second opinion.  The SEs from chemo can be hard, but the SE from cancer is worse.

Terry,  It must be so nice to be close to the end of chemo.  I didn't have a mastectomy, but I know a lot of ladies have, I don't think it's as hard as chemo.  Maybe some of those ladies will have some encouragement for you.

Kathy, I had to laugh when I read, "this is such a "weird trip" we are all on".  You said it.  It really is.  At times it doesn't seem real.  I mean, going from a normal life to what we've had to do and will yet do, it is just unbelievable.  Thanks for the pick me up. Hugs back to you.

knebel22, do you have other anit-nausea meds?  If they prescribed more than 1 you should be able to take them on top of each other.  If you're unsure, call the pharmacist.  Don't suffer needlessly.

• GrandmaV
    Options

racerdeb, thank you for joining us.  We're on the same regimen and I saw some of your posts over on the Taxotere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin thread.  I also looked at the news program with you on it.   It was great.  I'm not much ahead of you, just started 11/4, so don't know too much more than you've already learned on the other thread, but we're all here for you.

• sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options

Has anyone been unlucky to have taxotere extravasation( leakage of IV chemo from vein into tissue)?  I have a huge chemical burn on my arm- blistered and deep red- Not feeling the greatest.

• racerdeb
    Options

GrandmaV,

I'll definitely be interested in hearing how things are going for you. 

The two gals from the Breast Center (featured in the news story) came by the hospital before my port procedure yesterday, and they are quickly becoming good friends of mine. Their support is remarkable.  I've been really open with my cancer and my progress, and I guess it's my way of coping with it.  This forum has already been a big help in giving me such valuable tips and making me feel like I've made the right decision about my treatment plan.

I look forward to communicating with you and the rest of the "November folks" on how we're all doing with our chemo treatments.  I wish you well with your next treatment.

• linnyhopp
    Options

Bethu77: Thanks for the welcome.  Glad to have some great women to share with and hope I am as upbeat as so many are.  I know it will be hard to get through this, but since we know treatments are what will get us back to health I am trying to keep in my mind that it is a finite time frame and hoping that everyone (me, too) gets through it all with some humor and lots of sharing to keep us as well as can be!  By the way, my onc actually has been very kind about responding to all my requests/questions.  It's mostly been about stuff you all have shared...LOL!  The onc nurse told me she didn't think icing the nails was a good idea, but he said it was OK.  He OK'd other stuff, too.  Seems like the medical people don't seem too up on practical advice I have found here.  Maybe they are just more comfortable with their "medical" stuff?  Anyway, I am so glad to have all the info shared and will probably look like I am moving in when I arrive at the chemo suite on Monday.  I do have to chuckle a bit to think that the first suite I will ever be booked into has to be for chemo!  Talk about ironic...but am hoping as you said the anticipation is the worst part.

Grandma V: Thanks to you also for the warm welcome.  I will have TCH every 3 weeks, no weekly Herceptin for me.  Then it will be on to rads after that.  Sorry about the big D...I usually have that problem anyway so it will be interesting to see what chemo will do to me.  I, too, am going to make sure I have Immodium and something in case of the other problem.  Wal-Mart will be making big bucks on me this weekend as I stock up on the chemo kit.  You are all so kind to share what you have found to be useful.  I hope I can stay positive as the weekend develops...honestly,  I am very scared for what SEs may come.  I have been reading this thread for awhile and will continue to keep up and hopefully post some more.

To all the rest of you...have a great weekend and know I am with you all in spirit.  Linda

• bullwinkl4
    Options

GrandmaV, Hope you are feeling good today. I woke up and am actually thinking I may feel better. I am going to try and drive again today. Hopefully my body won't freak out like it did yesterday! I just had some oatmeal. Seems like my stomach is back and forth as to what it wants to feel. One minute I will feel ok, and the next I will be feeling nauseous. Ginger snaps and Ginger Ale have become my friend :-)

racerdeb and linnyhopp sorry you have to be here but welcome :-)

• bethu77
    Options

This morning, I took my first shower since my port surgery on Monday. I put a load of clothes in the washer, took my medicine and had breakfast. When my husband woke up 2 hours later, I was slurring my words like I was drunk! I looked in my chemo notebook and it said that was a side effect of fatique. I didn't exercise or do much physically yesterday. I just laid around and took it easy. Has anyone else experienced this and is the second week after treatment better?

Thanks!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    Options

Hi All,

LynnMichel, thanks for the link about the scarves. I will check it out right after here.  I am told I may not have much hair loss this round, but with a later round will lose everything, so I need to begin to prepare.

Bullwinkle, sweats as well last night, after 2nd treatment during the day.  Not sure if I should attribute it to menopause or chemo.  Not sure it even matters why, just makes sleeping miserable.

3girls and Mardibra, I am from the Boston area as well.  I am going to Faulkner/Dana Farber and they have been wonderful.  I am so grateful that we live so close to so many good options.

I had my 2nd treatment yesterday, taxol and herceptin - they cut back on the benadryl cuz I had no reaction last week, I have a bit of a rash/hives on my face today, so I will let them know to go back up on the benadryl next week.  No other SE, for which I remain very grateful.  I can't beleive we have to think about weight gain with the steroids and then when I come home, I am starving form the steroids I think.  I was hoping a bit of weight loss would be one of the positive SE. Not sure about anyone else, but finding the reading materials, jig saw puzzles etc a bit boring.  family Circle, Better Homes and gardens-thinking of spicing up what is there by leaving Cosmo and GQ behind next week.   I have a friend with me and we talk and I bring work and the staff is wonderful but really, we have BC, but I feel like I could use a bit of life in my life! 

Continue to be grateful for everyone here and the support.  Hope everyone has a positive and relaxing weekend. 

Be well

Nel

• GrandmaV
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm feeling so much better today.  Went in for my weekly herceptin, all went well.  Big D is gone, a little cramping left but much much better.  I was able to eat some, still having to force liquids.  Will post more later.

• linnyhopp
    Options

Hi to all...well, it's 2 days until my first chemo treatment and I am soooo hoping that as many of you have said, the anticipation actually is worse than the treatment.  I am trying to keep busy this weekend.  Have great friends and family who have suggested fun things to do each day to try and keep me encouraged.  My best friend told me today that she chuckled and told my friends that she thinks I have the idea I will be in bed for the entire treatment time and not able to get out and enjoy things. I told her that that could really be in my subconcious.  Did anyone else feel like they were going to be giving up their normal life and not be a part of life during treatment?  I am trying to be positive and keep in my head that I can still go out and enjoy things whenever I feel up to it, but it is such a mind game!  So many of you seem to work (I hope to do a bit of that), exercise and LIVE!  I am going to be reading all you positive posts and thank you all in advance for the encouragement your successes will bring to me.  You are awesome!   Linda