Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• gamergirl
    gamergirl Member Posts: 53
    Options

Alright ladies.  I'm officially off the T/C team, and am joining team A/C and Taxol.  I have a MUGA scan scheduled for Wednesday, then my first A/C infusion on the 14th.  I'm going to ignore the Taxol part until we get to it, because I'm terrified of taxanes at the moment.  

I have no idea what to expect, but I'm sure I'll get by, and insist on really good drugs.  I've recovered from my allergic reaction for the most part, but I am still just a wee bit fatigued and shaky.  And I totally have 100% focus from my Dr now.  The nurse said they can usually do one dose of A/C before the MUGA, but the Dr said no because I've been having such bad luck.  No one is taking anything for granted anymore.  

So I guess I have another week of hair and feeling good.  Thank goodness for our silver linings. 

• JadeGirl
    JadeGirl Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi all,

I am starting chemo for the 2nd time on the 15th Nov.

I am actually looking forward to starting it as the sooner I start, the sooner I finish!  I had my port put in today - that was 'fun'...NOT!  It feels a bit weird but I am sure things will settle down soon...

All the best to those in the Nov group!

• 3girls
    3girls Member Posts: 18
    Options

JadeGirl,  So sorry u are doing this forthe second time:(  Goodluck on the 15th!!

• bullwinkl4
    bullwinkl4 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Good Morning JadeGirl, Good luck! Im glad your port placement wasn't to bad! Positive thoughts your way :-)

I have my second treatment on November 25th. Sorry you have to go through this again ((HUGS))

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    Options

My doctor was not wrong.  She told me it is quite predictable, two weeks after the first chemo treatment is when people seem to start noticing big hair loss.  Yesterday was my day.  I still look like I have plenty of hair but there is no denying it now; it is coming out big time.  As expected, it has depressed me but I think not so much about losing the hair.  It depresses me because it is the first outward indication that I have a serious illness and am fighting for my life.  I hope today I can accept it and move on.  A friend of mine who went through this last year sent me a big box.  Yesterday I opened it and to my surprise there were about 15 individually gift wrapped packages.  She had them labeled which ones to open first and had some marked "For Christmas" "For New Years Eve" and so on.  The package marked "open first"  was a figurine of a woman warrior with a sword and Cathy, my friend, told me this lady looked out for her during her treatments; now she will look out for me.  I was so touched by this.  She told me to open one package a day and I am looking forward to seeing what hat today will bring.   Another lady friend, who is a 16 year survivor, told me when I was first diagnosed, "you will find out who your friends are."  I sure have and feel so grateful for friends I did not even knew I had, all you fellow warriors included.  Onto another day. 

• bullwinkl4
    Options
    Allagashmaggie, That is so sweet of your friend to do! I agree with finding out who your friends are. Some of the closest people to me have shyed away, and others have came out of the wood works! My hair has been coming out due to stress, so I can only imagine how it is going to come out in the next week or two...Have a great day :-)
  • GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

gamergirl,

So good to hear from you and that you've mostly recovered from your allergic reaction.  I hope your new regimen is more agreeable to you.  You are so brave to face this head on and still find a silver lining. 

• GrandmaV
    Options

JadeGirl, I'm so sorry you're facing this yet again.  How long ago was the first time? 

Allagashmaggie, What a good friend you have there.  Thank you for sharing that with all of us, so we can picture in our minds this warrior woman who's looking after you.  I feel she might be looking out for all of us. 

This is my 4th day after treatment and I'm actually feeling pretty ok.  Just a little flu like aches and pains and a stuffy head.  Nothing a little tylenol can't  handle.  Not much of an appetite (for me very unusual - I can usually eat not matter what) and can't stand to drink cold drinks, so I'm drinking warm drinks today, mostly tea.  If this is as bad as it gets, I'm ok with it. 

• boxcars072000
    boxcars072000 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Good Morning everyone,

Feeling a little better today- still no ansswer from onco abotu something else to take to help with 

felling nausous, called yesterday- been drinking ginger ale. It seems to help some- the Canada Dry stuff. Thank you Grandma V for your reply, since no answer from dr.  I get first nuelasta shot tommorrow. Already have degenerative bone disease and carpal tunnel so we will see how that goes(((((((Hugs to all)))))

Connie.

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

Hello all! My first treatment is finally over!!!! I read all the discussions about your first treatments and it really helped me a lot. I didn't read anything about the red urine but it is okay. I didn't know about coming back the next day for a Nuelasta injection either. I must have missed that. My oncologist is 70-80 miles away from my home. I am so blessed to have a great sister who is by my side the whole time. I had my port put in yesterday and the drug they gave me before surgery was wonderful...the best sleep I have had since before diagnosis. I didn't have chemo my first time three years ago. I had lumpectomies and radiation. I have two cousins who have been diagnosed also. One had her mastectomies 2 weeks ago with flap reconstruction. I had mastectomies with expanders. My other cousin had her mastectomies today (she had lumpectomies 9 years ago) and is not planning on reconstruction at this time. I have another cousion who had a recurrence last year. She has been helping a lot with advice. Drink water, drink water, drink water or anything liquid. NO alcohol. I don't drink alcohol so no big deal for me. I am so appreciative of all the advice I have gotten here with all of you. I did cry when I first went in just because I cry, a lot! Like everyone said it wasn't that bad. I have my wig picked out and will order it tomorrow. Take of yourselves and give you a hug from me for being my friends. I am sorry we have to go through this but I am blessed to go through it with all of you!

Beth 

• el-jaye
    el-jaye Member Posts: 25
    Options

Finally have had a chance to catch up on the posts here.  I have been in the hospital since Nov 5.  I was admitted as I had neutrepenia and a bacterial infection.  No white blood cells to fight it!  I have been having neupregen shots every evening and lots and lots of antibiotics!  My neutriphils have gone from 0.01 to 5.2 and if I can tolerate the antibiotics by mouth they might let me go home tomorrow! 

Here's hoping!  

It is day 11 and my hair is just now starting to fall out.  I had my long locks all cut off and am sporting a very cut pixie cut.  Of course I am sure that will be gone by next week.  I am being very careful when I wash and brush - maybe it will stay a bit longer.  

Take care all!  I will check in later in the week!

LJ

• Artemisnz
    Artemisnz Member Posts: 2
    Options

El-jaye sorry you've had a bad time. I got sick too straight after my first treatment too. It took me about a week after my hair started falling out before it was all gone. I've always has long hair and surprising it wasn't that bad once it was all gone.

Saw my oncologist today and he says my tumor has shrunk from 2x3cm to 2x2. Good news. On to third and last FEC treatment tomorrow then on to taxotere. Wonder If that'll be better than FEC?

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

I LOVE my morning coffee but this morning, it is not feeling good on the stomach. Anyone else having this issue so soon after the first treatment? I was told to drink lots of water and I do that anyway but do I really have to give up my coffee? I am taking Emend and I have Phenergan to take for nausea.

Any suggestions? I know the best one is to give up the coffee which I will probably do since I will do anything to avoid vomiting!

My hair has always been thin but it has been coming out a lot since my surgery. I think it is the stress of everything. When it begins to come out a lot, I am going to have my husband shave my head. My sister used a lint roller on my parents when their hair began to come out. It didn't hurt and it took the loose hairs off.

It is cold and gloomy here so no walking outside for me today. I do have the Wii fit so I can walk on it. Maybe I 'll do it, maybe not! I get my first Neulasta infection today and I don't like needles! I think I saw on The Doctors that if you cough when you get an injection it won't hurt as much. You just need to tell the person who is giving the injection what you are going to do before you cough. I am going to research this on the Drs website and try it today.

I hope each of you find time for some fun thing to do today!!!

Beth

• Quaatsi
    Quaatsi Member Posts: 270
    Options

Hi All, I went to work for two days and didn't open this site -- look at all the wonderful responses. Thank you!  

Today I have my first chemo and yesterday I went to the surgeon to have more fluid removed from my incision from the BMX. I seem to collect lots-- this time 105cc in 5 days. Ok so it now feels better.  Surgeon leaves and returns with my onc-- I knew it was trouble!!! LOL  We all laughed.  At the 11th hour my treatment got changed.  My ONC is concerned about infection and my body recalling the previous cancer etc.  So she changed me from TCH every three weeks X6 to Taxol/Herceptin every week X12 THEN TCH X3 (every three weeks).  Something inside me feels like this is OK and I am ging with it but frankly I am going into this with no knowlege of the effects of Taxol and would love some quick feedback, if anyone knows.  

I have to say this is why I feally love my two docs-- my surgeon is so amazingly caring and sweet and my ONC, who I am getting to know now is also amazing-- she is smart and totally genuine and seems to be "available" on all levels.  It is  a long relationship so I am glad it is starting out so well.  I trust them both to make excellent decisions.

Regardless, I slept well last night and woke up happy and ready-- my 16 year old son woke me up with a kiss and I love you mom!  

• bullwinkl4
    Options

bethu77, Good luck with your shot..I hate needles too! I think I would try and slow down on the coffee, but that is just me. You have to do what feels right to you. I have always had a weak stomach, so I have been being very gentle on it. Noodles, crackers, oatmeal, and soup. Oh and bananas for some reason cause they taste good..lol..

Hopefully each day gets easier for you :-)

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    Options

Hi All,

Been distracted so haven't gotten back here. Had my first treatment last Friday 11/4 and my next tommorrow 11/10.  I am having 12 weeks of taxol and heceptrin (sp?) , then mx.  I sailed thru the first round and am so very grateful.  I am told there will be some cumulative SE over the next weeks, but every round to the good, I will take.  Met he surgeon yesterday and will have the port put in on 11/16.  Not really looking forward to that, but I undersatand it is a good choice and given the length of my treatment, before and after the MX, it seems the way to go.  I have to think about a wig or something.  I had my hair cut short, but am told I will proably have some hairloss during this round, and definetly the round after MX.  Really not looking forward to that piece.  It is so helpful to read here

Be well,

Nel

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi Beth,  Your post made me laugh!!  I also LOVE my morning coffee (also helped with my "morning constitutional") After my first treatment the thought of a cup of coffee just didn't "agree" but it only lasted for about a week and a half.  I am back to my one cup in the morning and it tastes great!  So just give it a few days....I think the feeling will pass for you too :O)   My next treatment is Monday (11/14)  Hope it goes as well as the first one!   OXOXOX

Kathy :O) 

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi Beth, you may have already heard about this, but my oncs office reccommended that I take Claritin 10 mgs (generic is OK)  and Alleve before the shot and for several days afterwards as it helps a lot with bone pain.  I tried it and had a little bone pain but it wasn't bad at all.  Neulasta is stored in the fridge so they should bring it up to room temp before they give it.  I had mine in the back of my arm and it stung a little while it was going in.  I've heard if you get it in your belly it doesn't hurt as much.  I love tea but it tasted horrible for the first week after my treatment.  I stuck to icy water.  My taste has come back, I'm day 14 and I feel almost normal again. it's great!!  Good luck with the shot today xoxo

ps with you on the hair, just watching and waiting :0)

• Kim137
    Kim137 Member Posts: 105
    Options

Well, looks like I'm moving on from the October surgery group to the November chemo group....I had my port inserted yesterday. Still a little sore and queasy, I expect this will fade in a couple days. I have an echo tomorrow, CT and bone scans next week and I'm scheduled to start A&C on Nov. 17th. That will be followed with taxol & Herceptin. So much for pure DCIS, that one little sneaky lymph node is to blame for my oncologist wanting to be more aggressive. I've already cut and donated my hair to Locks of Love and I'm starting my hat and scarf collection! I look forward to sharing in this journey with a great group of women....ok, I really don't "look forward" to this, but y'all know what I mean!

• Nell2109
    Nell2109 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Is 16% chance of reoccurrence really worth putting my body through chemo?

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options
    nell, that's a question that only you can answer.  is the 16% from your oncotype?  my onco wouldn't have suggested chemo if my score had been yours.  my oncotype score was 64%, so i really had no choice.  do you research and make a decision that feels right to you.  good luck!
  • Rockysg1
    Rockysg1 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Good Evening Ladies,

2nd day after chemo (TC) and so far so good. I had a jolt of energy this afternoon which was surprising but I feel like a cold is coming on. I was sent home with a plethera of anti-nausea pills and I am not much of a pill popper so I really hope I can hang if I do get nauseated.

• tammie
    tammie Member Posts: 13
    Options

I'm hoping to be starting chemo again by the end of the month..Port surgery scheduled for next Friday the 18th..I did paclitaxol nine yrs ago..Not sure what chemo im gonna be doing yet waiting to hear Dr. was gonna do Paclitaxol til he read the reports on how badly i handled it in the past so now he says wants to save that for later and is gonna do somthing else..soo im waiting in that black hole full of anxiety and hoping he moves quicky as my livers been progressing fast..Has anyone heard of these cold cap things and how do they work?? Thank and hugs to you all..Tammie

• luckyjnjmom
    luckyjnjmom Member Posts: 114
    Options

Tipnas,

Thanks for the laugh - I can just imagine the flustered cosmotologist trying to get the attention of such a strong-willed group of women! I'm still debating the port thing - just wigs me out - also because they didn't do it before we started my first round, now I have to face surgery knowing that my immune system is already under attack - no worries though - I'll get through it:)

There is a LGFB session near me - and I'm going! Looking forward to it.

take good care,

Lucky

• GrandmaV
    Options

Beth,  So glad your port placement and first treatment went well.   It's wonderful that your sister is being so supportive.  I hope your wig is exactly what you wanted.  As to the coffee upsetting your stomach, so far coffee has not upset mine, but each day a different thing does.  Yesterday cold drinks did it, so I switched to all warm drinks.  Today, I'm having to force both.  I was up all night with diarrhea, but it's better today.

LJ, I'm so sorry you've been in the hospital.  Glad the neupregen shots are doing what they're suppose to.  I hope you get to go home tomorrow. 

Quaatsi, I'm sorry, I haven't done any research on Taxol, so can't help you there.  But from the sound of it, your doctors are great and know what they're doing.  You're son sounds so sweet.

Nel,  Your news sounds great.  So glad you sailed thru the first round.  That should sound good to Quaatsi, since she's having the same regimen. 

Kathy, Hope your next round has minimal SEs

Kim137, Thank you for joining us.  We can help each other get through this.

This is my 5th day after first tx.  I was up all night with diarrhea, but I think I'm better.  No appetite at all and just having to make myself drink.  looking forward to a good night's sleep.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options
    hang in there, grandmaV.  it will get better, i promise.
  • el-jaye
    el-jaye Member Posts: 25
    Options

Sad to report I did not get to go home today!  Instead the Onc ordered an ultrasound of my kidneys and a CT Scan for tomorrow.  He told me if they both come back normal I can go home.  He will schedule bone scans as an outpatient.  He is concerned that I have been away from my son too long. 

So grateful for such a caring medical team.  They are treating the whole person not just the cancer!!

Only thing left to do is get the PIC line inserted before my 2nd round of chemo on the 18th.

Thank you all for sharing your stories here.  It is such a help to see how each person is handling the SE.  So many good tips.  

Blessings all!

LJ

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    Options

Well ladies I did a really dumb thing over the weekend after my first chemo treatment last Thursday.  I did some gardening work and got an infected  thumb for my trouble.  I'm on an antibiotic and am soaking my finger in epsom salts 4x a day.  I will listen to my Onc teams advice.  I will wear gardening gloves the next time.  Yesterday I felt really terrible.  But today I fell a a little bit better.  My thimb has stopped throbbing.

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

GranndmaV, sorry to hear you're under the weather.  I hope you feel better soon.  The appetite will come back, but do keep drinking.  I didn't feel great on days 5 thru 9, but I've been feeling almost normal for the last 2 days and I'm really enjoying it.  We feel "icky" and we forget what it feels like to feel good and when we do, it feels great!  Hang in there, like YaYa5 says, it will get better.

Boxcars, hope your Neulasta shot went ok.  Are you trying the Claritin?

Welcome Kim and Tammie, our list of sweet ladies keeps growing!  Tammie, I'm sure you would find good information about the gel cap on the Hair hair  hair forum.  I hope you can move forward quickly with your chemo.

LJ hope all goes well and you get home tomorrow.  Sounds like you're receiving really good care.  You must have been feeling awaful. My white cells went down to 0.7 and I felt pretty wiped out.

LynMichel I hope your thumb feels better soon. It's a scary how little things can quickly become serious when we are  immunocomprimised.  I bit my tongue eating Haloween candy and it turned into a nasty canker sore.

Good night and God bless ladies I hope everyone sleeps well xoxo

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    Options

Hi all. I'm not sure if I'll be starting chemo later this month or Dec but thought I'd check in and start getting myself ready. Hoping I can keep calm for this whole thing. I also thought I'd share a tip from a friend who went through chemo for uterine cancer and melanoma - her doctor recommended drinking olive oil every day (a few teaspoons here and there), and she swears it helped minimize her loss of taste. I figure I'll give it a try.

Good luck to everyone.