Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited September 2015
    Options

Size 4 Tru life swim forms are 14.5 com wide and 12 cm high. Mine are also 3.5 deep but I removed some beads. They fill my Amoena 36 AA cup nicely but the a little corner 3.0x0.5 cm hangs out of the edge of the pocket at the 2 o'clock position. If I had to do it again I'd get the size 2 or 3. Unfortunately they order the, and don't keep in stock at fitter The 3 would be about the same as my size 4 shallow silicones that fit in the same bra. DH likes the future of those as it look so Iike my old regular A size before BC. Since I had the BMX I like the choice to go smaller if the clothing allows. But one of my sun dresses needs the silicones Plus a Genie form to fill it out.

• Chloesmom
    edited September 2015
    Options

here's the back of the bra with the size 4 Trulife.

Today I went out shopping as a flat topper. Perfect for a hot day! No one batted an eye. They were more concerned about their own appearance image

• Chloesmom
    edited September 2015
    Options

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited September 2015
    Options

ChloesMom, Thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for, I think I will get the sixe 4 and leg go of a few beads too. I need it to be this big so my concave is more or less covered. BTW I also choose to go without forms most of the time, but these swim forms have caught my eye. Thanks! And you are right, no one notices. Today I was taking to a "stranger" and told her about my double mastectomy and without batting an eye she asked who did my recon. I had to point out I had no breasts, I did have a sundress on with a hanky front...

• Chloesmom
    edited September 2015
    Options

haven't been wearing the Trulife Aqua forms much. As I stated they were a bit much for over filling the cups for me. Well today I put on a sundress that needed a suggestion of foob. The Genie bra with the Aqua forms with the sz 4 footprint were perfect A soft mature curve not too perky A smaller would have been sliding around. I will get a smaller pair for in the regular bra

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited September 2015
    Options

That is what I ordered today. And metromedical is offering a 15% discount on everything for these few days, the Valetta cami too.

I am going to the shore in a few weeks and I have not been in water for 5 years. I want to give myself the option to put something in my bathing suit if I feel the need. And honestly I like the description of the "look". Thanks!

• chocomousse
    chocomousse Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2015
    Options

Can anyone tell me if a size 4 round, silicone breast form will fit inside the pocket of a padded Genie bra cami? I plan on removing the pads and inserting the silicone form in one pocket.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited September 2015
    Options

Chocomousse, Mine is a 6 and it fits. I wear the pad on the real side also.

• chocomousse
    chocomousse Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2015
    Options

Good to hear as I already ordered a 3 pack. Thank you for responding!

• Chloesmom
    edited September 2015
    Options

You might just need to open up the edge of the pocket a little. I hav to really squish up my form to get it in the opening on the side

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

I've added a cut along the seam to enlarge the opening on some of mine. The knit doesn't ravel or run, so no need to stitch after cutting.

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 252
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have had good experience with Classique 769E bra. I have ABC 1022 prosthesis inside them. Does anyone have other type of bras that are comfortable?

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2015
    Options

HAve never posted on here before but have this thread bookmarked for regulare reading!

Just wanted to let you know the mods are making a slideshow of BC sisters from all over - it will be lovely!

If you would like to take part or even just see some of your BC sisters

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/135/topic/834934?page=1#post_4494722

• ShortyRN
    ShortyRN Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    Options

Awesome Breastforms

Giving you back your curves. For those with mastectomies, not having reconstruction.

Wonderful news... Our very active group of volunteers has been busy knitting and crocheting breast forms for those having a mastectomy without reconstruction. These forms are lighter and cooler than the silicone forms to wear and are made using soft 100% cotton. They are available in cup sizes from A to DD. We will take special orders such as larger sizes, lumpectomies, on requests. You are welcome to choose forms in light and dark skin tones, pastels or go really funky with wild & crazy ones, nipples or no nipples. Because we crochet and knit the orders as they come in, we do our best to give you the colour choice. We do send them around the world so don't be afraid to ask if you want your curves back.

The forms are totally free....you will NOT be asked for a monetary donation. Please drop by and visit our website and read what others have said about our forms on the Loving My Curves section of the website.

http://awesomebreastforms.org.

Please check us out. The instructions for ordering are on the website.

• esklader
    esklader Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks so much, ShortyRN! I just ordered a pair to try :)

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

I ordered one also. Thanks for the link!

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks for the link, I also ordered them.

• Kimmer33
    Kimmer33 Member Posts: 90
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thank you, ordered!

• PKWGA
    PKWGA Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2015
    Options

I just wanted to say thanks to all you wonderful ladies for providing such helpful info to the newbies. I've been going crazy trying to figure out this new body of mine, and this thread has taught me SO much. Went for my fitting today, and thanks to all of you, I went in prepared and was able to tell the fitter what I needed, and what I felt comfortable with. I let her figure out what sizes I needed, and then we worked together to get things that I feel like I can live with. Without all that I have learned from you, I would have been totally lost and would have come home with a bag full of things to stuff in a drawer and never wear. I'm going back to work next week, and instead of huddling inside a jacket trying to hide, I'm going to strut into that office feeling, and looking, great!Winking

• sgabbert
    sgabbert Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2015
    Options

Good afternoon ladies, I write you from S. Texas this afternoon enjoying the rain that we are getting and calming my youngest child that we are fine Happy

I have been fitted at my local Healthtique shop and at first was given a bra that was just way too big for me but the fitter said it was what I measured, she gave me a size 44 band and I really needed a 40. We had to order the bras. I went with a form by Anita - Valance 1052 size 100/9 which she told me equated to a C cup. I was a full D when I had my surgery and if I had been properly measured and fitted at the time probably would have been a double D. So get in my size 40 bras by Amoena - Marlena 2167. After wearing these for a day or so I noticed that the forms were creeping up out of the top of the bra. I called the shop back and went in and the fitter said I needed the next size down in the form and of course would have to order them because they only had 1 in stock. Finally get them in Anita - Valance 1052 size 95/8. They fit in the 40C bra just fine but I still seem to have the problem of the forms creeping out the top of the bra.

Anyone have this happen? What do I do now? It's not a big deal as long as I have one a high cut blouse or t-shirt but what if I want to wear a v-neck or something like this, I don't want that showing! Should I go back to the shop, once again, and see what they say? I hate to be "that client", know what I mean.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi Sherrie,

Regarding your question, I'm not exactly understanding what's going on with the forms. The Valance form is an attachable form. It sounds as if you'd be better off with forms that you wear inside a pocket. Then they can't creep out. If you're already wearing the forms in the pockets, how do they creep out of the top of the bra?

There are so many breast forms available, in different sizes, shapes, and styles, that you really should be able to find the perfect fit. It sounds as if the mastectomy shop you use, like many if not most, has a rather limited stock. Sometimes, the fitter will try to sell you what she has, even if it's not the ideal fit for you. That being said, it's really helpful to try things on in person. I wouldn't hesitate to return to the store and describe your issue to them. If they don't treat you well or if they can't work with you on this, another option is for you to check out the much wider variety of breast forms available at online sites. The disadvantage is that you have to order before trying on, but most good online sites allow you to return the forms if they don't work out. You might check out the range of things available by going to the Helpful Links section of my non-profit website, BreastFree.org.

Also, you didn't say if this was true in your case, but some shops won't order forms that aren't in stock unless you promise to buy them, so that's at least as much of a problem as ordering online. The downside of online retail sites is that you almost always have to submit your own insurance claim, whereas most mastectomy shops will handle that for you.

It sounds as if you like the people at the Healthtique shop, but I hope you're getting good advice. You might go for a "second opinion" if there are any other mastectomy shops in your area.

• sgabbert
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thank you Erica, this shop never once mentioned this form being an attachable form.

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2015
    Options

Sherrie, this is what I found when I searched for pictures of the specific form you got: Anita Care Valance Vario Breast Prosthesis 1052 XV. If yours looks like this, it does seem to be an attachable, but since you weren't aware of that, I assume you've been wearing it with the adhesive strips covered. If this is the form you have, that's terrible that the fitter sold you an adhesive form without telling you that's what it is, and when you hadn't requested one. Here's the description of the form at the MetroMedical website, where I found the picture:

The Anita Care Valance Vario 1052 XV Breast Form is an adhesive form that adheres directly to the chest wall. Other features include:

• Can be used on either side of the chest wall
    • Comes with 2 Valance adhesive strips and 4 cover films that adhere to the back of the form, covering the adhesive so that it may be used as a traditional breast form in a bra pocket
    • Only a portion of the back of the form is adhesive which creates a more natural movement
    • No slipping or flapping away from the chest wall
    • The elastic, dermatologically-tested adhesive strips move with the body without pulling on the skin and can be easily removed under running water
    • Valance prostheses have a smooth, snug-fitting back made with special SoftLite silicone
    • Perfect shaping and fit even without the adhesive pads
  • sgabbert
    edited October 2015
    Options

The forms I have do not have strips on them. I am attaching pictures that I took of the back of the form and a picture of what it's like when

I say it's creeping over the top of the cup.

• Marie711
    Marie711 Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2015
    Options

sgabbert, mine does that too sometimes. After I get the bra on I reach inside the side opening and adjust the form. It never seems to end up in the right place.I can't tell from the photo...is it sticking out too far in the center part of the bra or the part under the arm?

• sgabbert
    edited October 2015
    Options

It tends to creep out in the center of the bra. This happens after I have had the bra on for awhile though. I am guessing that it's just a fact of mastectomy bras that this happens. I may try to make the pocket fabric a little smaller because it does seem to have a little extra fabric that makes the pocket.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have been wearing the amoena contact light form for years (25) , they stick on directly to the skin ( because of the pearls) with no adhesive. If you're on the small side (I wear a 34A) I put my bra on and then stick the forms on my chest so the bra pockets cover the forms. It's a very natural fit and if you take a small size they're very light. One can also go without a bra with these as they stick on quite well. I got these forms as soon as they came out after my first mastectomy 25 yrs ago. I was in my 30s at the time and they were perfect for me and allowed me to keep wearing my regular bras.

• Chloesmom
    edited October 2015
    Options

Suladog do you get a size 3 in these? I have size 4 essential lights and they are too heavy for me in the bra pockets. I wear 36 AA which is similar on the chart

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited October 2015
    Options

Chloe,

Size 2...,I tried size ones but as they said they'd be "why bother" size...

• Chloesmom
    edited October 2015
    Options

Have to wait 1 1/2 years for insurance to buy new ones. Will watch eBay. Got the 4s from the fitter and they sit in the drawer. Dolly Parton. Got 3s in another brand and they work fairly well. Will check out the Amoena 2s. Thanks!