Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks for the photos, Sherrie! I guess the Valance Vario that I found pictures of is the attachable version of the Valance form. So, at least that part wasn't an issue. :)

Seems as if your idea of experimenting with pockets (and maybe at some point you could try some different mastectomy bras) should help you find a way to keep that creeping from happening. For me, that's only happened when the form was a little too big for the bra and/or pockets.

• brend
    brend Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    Options

Oh geez... Yesterday I had my first fitting for a prosthesis, and a bra. I can't believe that place only had 2 (TWO) bras to choose from! I got 2 prosthesis, one foam and the other is supposed to be a light weight of some sort. That is what my insurance would pay for.

UGGGH..

I got the lesser of the 2 evils with the bra. They let me wear it home. If it hadn't had the prosthesis in it, I'd came off and out the window on the way home!!!! And I never litter!

I got online, and ordered 2 bras. I'm used to, molded cups, with underwire and a little more low cut. I'm hoping at least 1 of the 2 I ordered will work.

I tried putting a pocket in one of my older bras that I loved. Well, it rides up on that one side where my breast was removed.

It seems nowhere in town has mastectomy bras on a rack you can go try on. I live in a city of 500,000. This is SO disappointing to me! So it looks like I will have to order, pay shipping, and if it isn't comfortable, pay shipping again to send back!

This will be much worse than shoe shopping! At least you can try shoes on in a store. Just heart broken.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited October 2015
    Options

Brend,, how frustrating!! And you are in a big town too. Stinks. Much is available online,, others can give advice on the best sites,,, just look for good return policies!!

• Erica
    edited October 2015
    Options

brend,

I'm really sorry you didn't find more selection at your local store. I know it's frustrating to have to order online and hope your choice will fit. I wish online mastectomy sites would offer free shipping for returns, like Zappos, but they're not there yet. Some sites do provide free shipping for the original order, though.

For what it's worth, I live in an area with several good mastectomy shops, yet the bras and camisoles that I've found most comfortable are ones I discovered online and ordered online. I have had to return a few, but I've also found some good ones.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited October 2015
    Options

brend - obviously I don't know Mobile, but I do know web search. Before abandoning hope on Mobile entirely, if you have not already, try the following .

Do an internet search that has all the following words: buy mastectomy bra mobile alabama. If you think US English is more likely to use a different word such as "purchase" throw that in there too.

This should give you results with more than one store.

Note the phone numbers of the results and then "let your fingers do the walking". Call them and ask if they have a good selection to try on, what kind of fitting service etc, if poss speak to the person who would be assisting you.

I really hope that you WILL find somewhere better than the place that had such a rotten selection.

XXX

• blownoffcourse
    blownoffcourse Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2015
    Options

brend - If you didn't already you might ask the store if they can order different bras for you to try on. The store that I go to doesn't have a huge selection - maybe 10 different styles - but they will order whatever I want to try on. There's no obligation, so if they don't fit they just send it back. It takes a little longer, but at least I don't have to foot the bill for the shipping back and forth.

• Erica
    edited October 2015
    Options

BlownOffCourse,

You're fortunate your store will do that for you. At least some of the stores I've shopped at say that if you order an item you have to buy it.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited October 2015
    Options

my store ordered in 10 bras all the same size. Only 2 fit! It's really necessary for thrm to be able to be tried before purchase

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2015
    Options

Has anyone had her prostheses fall apart? 2 of my Amoena ones have just in the past month. Yikes.

• Chloesmom
    edited November 2015
    Options

Foam or silicone?

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

Silicone

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yikes!  Have they been exposed to extreme temperatures?

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

No, they have been in San Diego in my closet except when I am wearing them, no extremes...

I am thinking maybe Amoena bought a bunch of silicone and used it in all their forms..and then it

all came apart at once...my three forms all at the same time and all different is really, really strange.

• glennie19
    edited November 2015
    Options

That is really strange, Lisa,,, maybe call the company??? Maybe they will send you new ones!! **one can hope**

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

I just emailed them, let's see if they answer..

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited November 2015
    Options

Lisa, They better answer. I went upstairs and looked at mine. I've been wearing weighted foam all summer so they've just been sitting in the case.

• Erica
    edited November 2015
    Options

Lisa, that sure looks like a defective form and the company should certainly replace them. Did you buy them at a local mastectomy shop? If so, you can hopefully get them to deal directly with Amoena. Please let us know what happens.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited November 2015
    Options

I did check mine too, it's fine.  My weighted foam one though, it just collapsed, I had it replaced once, but the second time I didn't.  Funny because the one I got free from the MX shop is still fine, but the ones I actually bought, not good.

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

The shop that sold me them, went out of business..

• Chloesmom
    edited November 2015
    Options

I was picking up new foobs today and asked the fitter. She said she had seen some fail when they got too hot. But also said the siliconeshave a 2 year warranty. The company should honor that.

• Chloesmom
    edited November 2015
    Options

BTW. New foobs are TRulife 611 weighted foam. Look like the old me and feel great on my Valetta top.

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

well these breast forms did not have a lot of heat.

• glennie19
    edited November 2015
    Options

Seems really weird, Lisa,, Did they answer your email yet?

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

someone called and left a message to call back. I did but she hasn't returned my call.

I wish I had taken photos of the first two before I threw them out.

I don't expect any compensation but I sure would like an explanation.

• glennie19
    edited November 2015
    Options

I think a replacement would be nice! Can't see why they should fail that way if you had them stored properly and not exposed to high heat. hope you get to talk to them soon.

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

Here's my scenario; they bought a bunch of silicone all at the same time and have been using it for a long time

The shelf life all happened at the same time across different breast forms and boom, they disintegrated at the same time. Maybe they bought a bad batch of the stuff.

• Chloesmom
    edited November 2015
    Options

So I got an Amoena leisure bra and was wearing it with my silicone foobs. Got the leisure bra as I had my seroma swell and couldn't wear the regular bra that is snug at the band. The leisure bra is soft and loose. Just got the weighted foam foobs last week and went to teach a conference. The foam foobs need the regular bra to anchor them! By the morning break they had crept up near my collar bones. Went to the rest room. Whipped them off and taught the class flat LOL. Live and learn

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

I had the light foobs in the beginning..it would rise up without my knowing ...my husband had a code word to let me know..he would say the moon is rising..

• socallisa
    edited November 2015
    Options

BTW, I did talk with the lady at Amoena, she says the forms are only guaranteed for two years...her line was that insurance buys you new forms every two years so what is your problem.. I guess I am just angry they wouldn't take my problems seriously and it seems like planned obsolescence.. and the insurers will pay so Ameoena makes even more money..just sad..really

• glennie19
    edited November 2015
    Options

the moon is rising,, I love that. Kind of like "the barn door is open" when the zipper is down.

And BOOOOO on planned obsolescence,, you are right, that is just what it sounds like. It will fall apart and you will get new ones every 2 years,,,,