Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thank you itzy! I will look into those!

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2016
    Options

I also love the Trulife 611. I also like the unweighted version, the Trulife 616. But just wondering, do you have any insurance? Most insurance is required to cover breast forms and bras, either once a year or once every other year, and that would apply to the more expensive silicone forms as well as cheaper non-silicone ones. I tend to use my insurance for the more expensive forms and then pay for the foam forms out of pocket. Honestly, though, these days I mostly wear the foam forms, as they're so comfortable, and the shape looks very natural. (I wear mine with a Still You camisole, mostly under fitted tee shirts.)

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks Erica. I do have insurance, but only need something temporarily. I wasn't too worried about insurance and just want something soft, light and cheap. I did order the fiberfill form that itzy suggested. They are $12 and I like the fact that I can take some of the filling out to adjust it. So, I should be set with one of those and some knitted knockers!

Smile

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2016
    Options

So just starting to experiment with different form options and have one and some soft forms but I really want to try one that is self sticking to your skin. Does anyone have a favorite brand they use. I had a uni so I do have the problem of matching to my good side but willing to try so I can continue to wear some of my own bras. The mastectomy bras I got ride to high under my armpit and gets very uncomfortable by the end of the day. I am only 2 week out from radiation and my skin is still healing at the scar area so that might be part of the problem. But I would like to have some different options to try.

Thanks for any input - Connie

• rainnyc
    rainnyc Member Posts: 801
    edited April 2016
    Options

Connie, I stuck with Coobies for quite a while after radiation. It takes longer than you'd think for everything to heal. The RO suggested 6-8 weeks before wearing regular bras again. I also had a couple of old, really soft bras with no underwires that were okay.

I find that even now, 3+ months after radiation, I can't wear anything other than seamless, very plain mastectomy bras. I tried on a couple with lace trim, and they were super itchy and uncomfortable.

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2016
    Options

Connie, usually contact forms aren't recommended for quite some time after surgery and especially if you've had radiation -- at least six months, possibly a year. You should be able to be fitted for regular silicone forms around 6-8 weeks after surgery and radiation is finished.

• Duzy
    edited April 2016
    Options

Erica and Rainnyc thank you for the information. I wasn't sure how long I should wait after radiation until it would feel comfortable enough. I was fitted for a silicone form just before starting radiation and I have tried to wear it this past week but the bras I have don't seem very comfortable. They seem to be too high on the side and sits right at my scar line so maybe I need to look into different bras. That's why I thought if I could wear a contact form my own bras feel much better. So much to learn.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited April 2016
    Options

the amoena Frances looks like an old lady bra but is the softest and most comfortable. I love it!

• BlueHeron
    BlueHeron Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2016
    Options

I got some genie bras and I find them the most comfortable things ever. My prosthesis fits in the pocket and I just take the pad things out and it's awesome. And they are cheap

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited April 2016
    Options

Genie bras are great,,, just plan to size UP from your usual size. Try Target or Wal-Mart for them. And if you want a nice soft lightweight, breast form, contact Knitted Knockers. Volunteers knit them and will send you a pair. They ask a small donation if you can manage to help offset postage.

• Duzy
    edited April 2016
    Options

thank you for giving me input. I will try the genie bra. My mom crochet me some forms and I have some from my post masectomy garment so I have been wearing them more than my prosthesis because I am still sore from radiation

I really appreciate the help

Conni

• sgabbert
    sgabbert Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2016
    Options

Just an fyi, the knitted knockers in bra and under a plain tshirt or any shirt with no pattern on it will make you look like it's REALLY COLD, haha! And they are HOT!

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    edited April 2016
    Options

the genie bra - is the fabric super soft/ smooth?

I now found the cotton of post mastectomy garment (& I use the form in regular bra) too irritable to my skin. Same as the couple sport bra with removable pads (double up is all I need). Although they are comfortable while wearing, it leaves angry rash end of the day...

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited April 2016
    Options

I think it's soft and smooth. Could be you're allergic to some component. One woman says she wears her bra outside a camisole to keep it from irritating. Or perhaps it's loose enough that it's rubbing. I would check with my doctor to see if they have any ideas.

I like the Tru Life 611 foob but it tends to ride up a little bit. One day I added a quarter to each side at the bottom and now it doesn't ride up. I can't decide whether to sew a pocket into the cover or glue the quarter to the foam. Once it got out and into the bra pocket, but usually they stay in the cover.

• Duzy
    edited April 2016
    Options

I just ordered a coobie bra so hoping that one works. I am also going to try the genie bra. So far I really am not comfortable wearing a mastectomy bra because it is so painful by the end of the day. I am sure it is mostly because I am only 2 weeks post rads and my skin peeled pretty bad so it is just now starting to turn tan. Trial and error to find what works best

• rainnyc
    edited April 2016
    Options

Duzy, I didn't wear bras at all for about a month after radiation. I also peeled badly, and it peaked at about two weeks post rads. Give yourself another couple of weeks. Are you using a cream of some sort on the burns. I used silvadene where it peeled and aquaphor everywhere else. It's been three months, and I'm still using a lot of body lotion there, and it is still pretty itchy. I wore coobies starting at about the one month mark for six weeks or so, then switched to seamless mastectomy bras after that. Give yourself a little time and use lots of cream! I hope it feels better soon.

• Duzy
    edited April 2016
    Options

rainnyc - I didn't wear bras during most of radiation but then tried some these past 2 weeks while going to work but some days I still don't and just wear a poncho to hide it. I have been using the silvadene lotion and hydrocortisone cream because I still itch really bad. And the strange thing is where I itch is not where I peeled. I also use a aloe lotion for moisture because it seemed to be drying out from the silvadene lotion. I liked the look of the coobie so I thought I would order one and see how it fit. I think I will wait a few more weeks to try it so I am healed up pretty well. I appreciate the info

• rainnyc
    edited April 2016
    Options

Duzy, glad you're using creams. Yes, the itching doesn't always really correspond to the areas of damage. It's as if the nerves can't make up their mind!

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2016
    Options
    so I have a question about the squish factor :). I would like to start wearing a prosthesis in my compression bra I wear to the gym, not for appearance but because of the concavity of that area, I think it will provide better support to have something there. However, my currently too big size 4 prosthesis squishes a lot less than my natural side, which is now an "A" on a good day (due to a combo of breastfeeding, weight loss, and tamoxifen) si I'm even more lopsided than in a non compression cami. Has anyone ever "sized down" to match a compressed natural side? Did you go down 2 sizes? 1? Any advice would be appreciated, I thought about just ordering a bunch to try, but I'd rather not spend too much on return shipping if possible. Thanks!
  • Duzy
    edited April 2016
    Options

glennie19, Erica and rainnyc - thank you for the advice on the genie and coobie bras. I have been wearing them with my form for the last 2 weeks and they are very comfortable while my skin is still healing. I can actually make it through a work day without wanting to rip my bra off and dig at my skin. I am not sure I will want to switch to a mastectomy bra. I have 2 of them I was fitted with before radiation started just haven't tried to wear them yet.

Now I want to find some lighter weight silicone forms. I think for the summer something breathable would also help. Not sure if they make anything like that as I am still learning what all is out there. I have just been looking at the different types - tear drop, oval and so on. So much to learn and find a good fit for me.

It is nice to read what others like and are using

Have a great Friday and weekend.

Connie

• wren44
    edited April 2016
    Options

Duzy, All summer I wore the Tru Life 611 weighted foam bra. It's much cooler. It's available from Metro Medical. It was a little lightweight for me and rode up until I started putting 2 quarters in the bottom of the cover. Bingo, exactly the right weight.

• Chloesmom
    edited April 2016
    Options

Wren. Love the 611 too but it does ride up. I need to try the quarters! The Amoena Frances looks like an old lady bra but being cotton is the coolest most comfortable I have found. I tried to get 611s from my insurance and my copay was almost as much as metro They are the best especially if they have a sale

• Duzy
    edited April 2016
    Options

Wren thanks for the info I will look into that on

• Chloesmom
    edited April 2016
    Options

metro has free shipping this weekend!

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited April 2016
    Options

I like my Amoena Natura Light 3A foob. I have the one that is odd shaped to give some boob on the side. I wear it with Amoena Lara Wire-Free. My friends and daughters tell me you can't tell I'm wearing a prosthetic. Considering I'm 42D I think that is pretty good.

I was fitted at a shop last year for the foob and bras. Insurance covered the foob (one every 2 years) and bras (2 every year). I wouldn't have known what to gt if the lady fitter had not helped me.

Later I got a third bra in a different color--brand new with tags-super cheap-on ebay.

• cb123
    cb123 Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2016
    Options

• cb123
    cb123 Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2016
    Options

I going to get foobs today and I'm excited. A couple of my favorite tops seem to draw attention to my newly flattened condition and I'd rather not have people focus on that. But I still want to wear those tops.

I only have 3 tops that seem to camouflage the situation and I've been wearing the heck out of them. So, looking forward to seeing what's out there and what might work best for me.

PCP wrote me a prescription for a left, a right, a bra and a compression sleeve. I hope we're doing this right.

cb

• Chloesmom
    edited April 2016
    Options

be sure to bring sine favorire tops to be sure the comvo od the foobs and bra look natual i gad a few snug acoop necks that i used to see how things drapes and werent too perky

• nightowlhoot
    nightowlhoot Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    Options

I found that UNIQLO has a built in bra collection and went to try them on at the mall. Very comfy to me. BUT there isn’t a pocket just to warn ya. I got two, both with the moisture wicking fabrics but two different styles and colors. I still am using the soft foob. Have not been fitted yet.

They have loads of diff styles and fabrics.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/bra-tops.html

I also liked the dresses with built in bras. very comfy, but i’ll wait until a sale. they are 39.90.

zulily is also selling wireless bras today.

http://www.zulily.com/e/wireless-comfort-collectio...

i’m getting fitted next week. any tips?

i’m small 32B or sometimes 34B b/c i want to be more comfy and less constricted.

thanks in advance.

night owl

• wren44
    edited April 2016
    Options

Nightowlhoot, Let us know how those fit. And whether the bra can be pulled loose to add a pocket.